BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, davulsukur said:

According to https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ Rothwell started 13 games and Brereton only in 4.

The majority of Rothwells appearances have been for 20 mins or less.

Overall, their contributions were minimal as they didn't play enough but as they are more up to speed with how Mowbray wants them play, he can easily spin that they will be ready to contribute more and be like new signings.

Forgot Samuel as well, another new signing.

I don't think anyone will be classing those 2 as new signings, but fire away if you want :) 

Forgot him too....  

Without knowing Downing’s wages hard for me to feel much either way. If he’s on big money that’s a poor signing if on peanuts it’s average. 

I suspect we’re panicking and he’s a body. Hope I’m wrong 

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Didn't we sign Rhodes on a fans say so ? The fan that hasn't been on this site for years as far as I can see.

Wow, really? That was probably more a reflection of how bloody awful we were at the time though. Not saying things are great now obviously..

Just now, jim mk2 said:

What we are crying out for is one or two players with a winning mentality. Players who might not be the most skillful but will come in and inject some fighting spirit and backbone into the team when things aren't going well. Downing, for all his previous skill and ability, never came across to me as the sort of player who likes a tackle and who's up for a physical battle. We've already got enough who like to fold when the game is slipping away.

Just now, matt83 said:

Without knowing Downing’s wages hard for me to feel much either way. If he’s on big money that’s a poor signing if on peanuts it’s average. 

With,  is it 6 or 7 weeks to go,  i don't think it's a panic signing, or as Dad's army would say Don't panic don't panic. ?

Edited by EgyptianPete

What we are crying out for is one or two players with a winning mentality. Players who might not be the most skillful but will come in and inject some fighting spirit and backbone into the team when things aren't going well. Downing, for all his previous skill and ability, never came across to me as the sort of player who likes a tackle and who's up for a physical battle. We've already got enough who like to fold when the game is slipping away.

I doubt he has had the career he has had without being mentally strong and having fight in him. 

If we signed a "battler" would you be saying we need more players with skill and ability? I suspect you would :) 

• Like 1

Just now, matt83 said:

I would say this is the complete opposite of a panic signing to be fair! 

I'm open minded towards Downing. It's not particularly an area that needed strengthening, so an experienced head to replace Conway is fine by me as long as his wage is reasonable. I think it's promising that he played as many games as he did for a play off contender. 

For what it's worth I'd also take James Morrison on a free. Gives Mowbray a couple more players he can trust and pads out our squad with some more quality and experience. It should also, in theory, free up funds to spend on our defence. 

Our window is going to be judged on our defensive signings. Money needs to be spent there. 

• Like 3

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I doubt he has had the career he has had without being mentally strong and having fight in him. 

If we signed a "battler" would you be saying we need more players with skill and ability? I suspect you would :) 

We need a couple of battlers more than anything in my opinion. I'm tired of seeing heads go down when we concede and I'm tired of seeing us concede in the last 10 minutes of games. My old Union Convener had a phrase for guys like that " Spineless Bastards ". 

• Like 1

Right, sack this - I'm going to start making stuff up to make me feel better.

From Rovers website, TM - 

“I saw Charlton’s games in the play-offs and they’re a good football team.

“I saw them live at Doncaster and they played really well that day, with a back three, good possession, good technical players and a threat up front."

Mowbray was watching Doncaster vs Charlton. 

We're signing John Marquis.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

I thought the same “bluster”, “turned out to be a load of b0llocks last season”?

No, the bluster was about who we would sign, not the amount. Mowbray had a very healthy budget last summer, which is exactly the phrase he used. So, yes, he did come back and tell everyone what he had to spend, and the indications are he has the same budget this summer. Looks like he's blustered again.

We need a couple of battlers more than anything in my opinion. I'm tired of seeing heads go down when we concede and I'm tired of seeing us concede in the last 10 minutes of games. My old Union Convener had a phrase for guys like that " Spineless Bastards ". 

For sure, but being mentally tough and not caving comes in different forms. I would say Smallwood is a battler, but mentally he undoubtedly put the head down last season at times.

Someone like Downing might not fly into a tackle, but being brave in his case would be just making himself available for the pass , trying something with the ball. I think that was where we struggled last season at times. 

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Right, sack this - I'm going to start making stuff up to make me feel better.

From Rovers website, TM - 

“I saw Charlton’s games in the play-offs and they’re a good football team.

“I saw them live at Doncaster and they played really well that day, with a back three, good possession, good technical players and a threat up front."

Mowbray was watching Doncaster vs Charlton. 

We're signing John Marquis.

FFS BIGGING UP CHARLTON WHAT IS NEXT MOWBARRY OUT. HE SHOULD SAY WE BEAT THEM REAL GOOD 10-0!!!!!!!! 

For sure, but being mentally tough and not caving comes in different forms. I would say Smallwood is a battler, but mentally he undoubtedly put the head down last season at times.

Someone like Downing might not fly into a tackle, but being brave in his case would be just making himself available for the pass , trying something with the ball. I think that was where we struggled last season at times. 

I agree with a lot of that but what wouldn't you give for a Kevin Moran now ?

You're right, bravery on the field come in different forms. Berkovic hadn't got a tackle in him but he'd receive the ball in any situation under all sorts of pressure and try and make something happen. He'd get a crack and still show for a pass straight away.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nice replacement for Conway, certainly an upgrade. CB and a striker next please :) 

We don't need a replacement for Conway, we need better than those we already have. Tony told us this summer was about getting players in who can go straight in the 1st team - 3 or 4 was the number he quoted a few weeks ago. If Downing can get in the 1st team then fair enough, if he can't it's a poor signing because it doesn't improve the 1st XI. 

• Like 2

I agree with a lot of that but what wouldn't you give for a Kevin Moran now ?

You're right, bravery on the field come in different forms. Berkovic hadn't got a tackle in him but he'd receive the ball in any situation under all sorts of pressure and try and make something happen. He'd get a crack and still show for a pass straight away.

They don't make them like Moran anymore. He played Gaelic football for Dublin before going over to England. Gaelic is still physical, but when Moran played it was ridiculous. Guaranteed you would be fighting with your marker, like I am talking punching the heads off each other. Moran would have marked some absolute savages, guys with no teeth, the most rural rough and ready of men. Football players would have been absolute pussys to him. 

This is from 1991,it was far, far worse in the 70s when hardly any games were recorded

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

Can't say i'd be too excited with Stewart Downing signing.

I thought he was crap when he was good.

Still, early days in the window yet and of course he'd get a blank slate in a Rovers shirt.

Never been overly impressed by him (except the odd game) - but we are operating at a lower level than he has played most of his career (even though I am shocked how old he is). As a replacement for Conway - he is probably a slight upgrade (taking into account his age). For a player that never really relied on pace - I am hoping his age isn't too much of a factor. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

We don't need a replacement for Conway, we need better than those we already have. Tony told us this summer was about getting players in who can go straight in the 1st team - 3 or 4 was the number he quoted a few weeks ago. If Downing can get in the 1st team then fair enough, if he can't it's a poor signing because it doesn't improve the 1st XI. 

Ya, that's the key piece really. He did say he wanted players to come in and improve the team straight away and there does appear to be a backtrack on that somewhat, but time will tell. Disappointing if we don't have at least 2 new starters in the first 11 V Charlton. 

Ya, that's the key piece really. He did say he wanted players to come in and improve the team straight away and there does appear to be a backtrack on that somewhat, but time will tell. Disappointing if we don't have at least 2 new starters in the first 11 V Charlton. 

I think a quality CB and a FB are absolutely essential. Without them we will struggle again. 

A GK and a striker are pretty necessary too. 

Central midfield of Evans, Davenport, Travis and Buckley may be sufficient, but it probably needs one more quality addition. 

AA, Rothwell, Downing and Chapman will probably battle it out for the wide berths. Attacking midfield is probably the only area we are well stocked in, especially when you add in Dack and Butterworth. 

I suppose it all depends what formation he goes with. @Madon needs to get his binoculars out when they return to training next week. 

• Like 2