BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Pretty obvious he is a like for like replacement of Conway. It remains to be seen if his legs have gone too.

This isn’t the kind of signing I’m in favour of but I will throw in a potential positive: experience for the younger players.

With a more dynamic manager than Mowbray (in terms of the playing style) he might even be a decent addition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

One huge positive I'm taking from this is the deal length. We'd have offered him a 2 year deal not that long ago, just to get ahead of any potential rivals for the signature.

Yep, good we're only signing shite on short term deals these day:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hmm. If this is on modest wages (say, 5-10k but I bet it isn't), the player won't get in the way of Rothwell, Chapman and Arma's game time unless he is really firing (I bet he does) and it won't interfere with more urgent signings in other areas (again, doubt that highly) then this seems a perfectly adequate short-term squad signing.

My biggest concern is it slowing the development of other assets and the fact that TM apparently wants 'up to 5' signings. That's one down. He has said he wants one or two centre halves, goalkeeper competition and a fullback or two has been mentioned previously. That's all of the remaining four signings, and the defence needs that. We need that. But he's also talked about a new central midfielder to change our style and weren't we looking for a striker last window? Doubt we suddenly don't want one.

Which bit will give? I'm anxious about any of them not seeing reinforcement.

• Like 2

Just now, RoverKyle said:

Haha come on now. He might not be what anyone wanted, but I doubt he'll be shite. 

Only pulling yer pud - although I do think he'll be shite!

Where's he going to play? Out wide instead of Chapman and Rothwell? In the middle? 

I doubt he's come to sit on the bench so Mogga must have promised him something.

I think it's just a car share thing. Mogga wants someone to drive him home.

• Like 1

Just now, yellowsubmarine said:

Still find it strange we sold a 34 year old Conway and got an older Downing (turning 35 next month). True that Downing has a wealth of experience but you can say that of Danny Murphy and Whittingham too. Both turned out to be flops.

So did John Aston , on the other hand David Wagstaffe still has legend status !!

Time will tell all I am saying he was a far  better footballer than Craig Conway could ever dream about !!!

Just now, yellowsubmarine said:

Still find it strange we sold a 34 year old Conway and got an older Downing (turning 35 next month). True that Downing has a wealth of experience but you can say that of Danny Murphy and Whittingham too. Both turned out to be flops.

Come off it, Conway isn't fit to lace Downing's boots. 

• Like 2

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Where's he going to play? Out wide instead of Chapman and Rothwell? In the middle? 

I doubt he's come to sit on the bench so Mogga must have promised him something.

It's a long season, so I'd imagine he'll provide some depth for both positions. As you say, he's probably been told he'll play a lot of football. I can see him being part of a regular 14  (starting 11 and primary 3 subs), whether he starts or comes off the bench. 

Properly cracked me up with that last line. 

I’m not overly enamoured with signing Downing, however when you factor in that we have three wingers (Rothwell, Chapman, Armstrong) , who are all nowhere near their peak, it’s an obvious move to get one who’s been there, done it and got the T-shirt! 

Just now, Biz said:

I’m not overly enamoured with signing Downing, however when you factor in that we have three wingers (Rothwell, Chapman, Armstrong) , who are all nowhere near their peak, it’s an obvious move to get one who’s been there, done it and got the T-shirt! 

There's only one winger in that list.

The other two are much more effective when played centrally.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wasn't that why people were saying we didn't sign Bauer? I can't keep up with what Mowbray is apparently doing at all at all  

Nope, that was what Rich Sharpe said. It's no wonder you can't keep up. In fact the only person you can keep up with is Stewart Downing Stewart Downing?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, philipl said:

Personally there is no way I want to know Rovers' budget and the less I know about our targets until they sign their contract with Rovers the better too.

The same goes for all of you if you are really honest with yourselves. 

A staggering statement from you!

Just checked the date and it's not April 1st.

Come on, suspicions seem soon to be realised.  Mowbray's LT article says it all.  Think our budget for player trading is almost zilch.

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

There's only one winger in that list.

The other two are much more effective when played centrally.

Rothwell plays better centrally? Apologies for my ignorance but you’ll have to point out when and who far.

I can agree that AA is definitely a more “off the last man” style striker, however it’s hardly going to be a detriment having someone around who has experience in a position he’s often utilised in!

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's only a few pages back TM was being criticised for not blowing smoke up the backside of an imaginary Patrick Bauer.

Maybe he can smooth talk after all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yep, same bluster as last summer, even down to the '4 or 5' players mantra and 'same budget'. The problem is it turned out to be a load of b0llocks last season as Mowbray's targets went elsewhere. The same is already happening this season. Sharpe is already getting the club's excuses in early:-

"Reaction from supporters to missing out on Patrick Bauer would likely have had as much to do with still not having signed a player than missing out on the German central defender, even though he had been a long-term target for the club"

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17719042.rovers-not-alone-in-transfer-wait-but-something-must-give/

Sharpe speaks for us all :rolleyes:

Mowbray already backtracking from 'experienced players to go straight in the team' to:- 

“Some of those might be free transfers, some might be loans, and some players that we might look to buy, polish them up, and then sell on. We might also have players in the building who can make an impact for us"

Incredible ambition: we MIGHT get players who can make an impact.?

Mowbray - not arsed about promotion just as long as players get a bit better and we get the odd good signing in. 

If everyone's happy to plod along and go nowhere fast then Mowbray is the man to do it. 

It's nice well paid work if you can get it!

I think Mowbray's mentality is if he can keep 'the ship steady' for another two or three years then he will have a nice healthy pension fund. 

To me, the guy is under no pressure from our owners and we are going nowhere with Mowbray.  IMO, should have been sacked last season.  If nothing changes, if we are lucky, we will be in the same place in 12 months' time with similar comments on this MB.  

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

It's only a few pages back TM was being criticised for not blowing smoke up the backside of an imaginary Patrick Bauer.

Maybe he can smooth talk after all.

'Stewy, if you sign I'll give you a lift back to Yarm every night'

'Done, Tony pet'

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

The negativity comes from the constant mixed messages and moving of expectations that we get from the club. Mowbray kicks off the summer saying he's going after ready made players to strengthen our team and wants them in quickly. He wants defenders who will replace those who conceded far too many last season. He wants to tap into the European market. He wants players ready to impact now rather than in the future. 

Fast forward 6 weeks and we're hearing about loans, frees, players to polish and sell on. We've seen a long term target go to Preston and with pre season starting on Monday weve got a weaker squad than the one that finished last season. 

Of course plenty of time to address that but as with last summer we see bold ambitions and claims replaced with something far less impressive. 

As expected talk soon shifts to Davenport and Chapman being new signings even though he didn't play them last season and neither have any sort of track record at this level. 

It's all a far cry from what Mowbray had to say to the fans in 'Blues' back in Feb.

Looking like the window will see fans' aspirations dropping like a stone.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

No way he'll be on 20-40k a week.

Surely?

He isn't going from 30k pwk to 5k either, it's a short term deal probably with another year on offer but he'll be on about 15 to 20 I bet there were a few in for him apparently so possibly his last contract etc will have had to make financial sense he's to old to be a mercenary gun for hire now