BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

My snooping suggests that they've just come on holiday/sightseeing... prior to... ?

His missus is from Rotherham originally so that's why they were there.

Quick stop off to see the family in Dublin before on to... ?

Could just be a good wind up, but we were linked before... Forest and others have been rumoured too.

Yeah we were linked last season as well. Bit of a coincidental holiday though having a Mrs from Rotherham does make it that little more legit. 

19 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Like all politicians - but particularly the future PM - don't listen to what they say, watch what they do.

Mowbray tells the fans what they want to hear - then does the opposite. 

I thought Downing was average when he was in his pomp, at 34-35 I just don't see the point of signing him

I was never a huge fan, but I don't think you get over 30 caps for England and a move to Liverpool for 20 million plus if you are just average.

• Like 4

Its Friday so I'm going to be positive about something I'm probably very underwhelmed about.

Downing has played in CM a fair bit this past season or so and is a technical player who is good on set pieces and gives us a left footer beyond Mulgrew.

With the emergence of Travis as our unquestioned CM#1 who has an engine, pace, bite and commitment, I much prefer the idea of a Downing-Travis pairing than any with Smallwood and to a lesser extend Evans in it.

Downing could be a technical upgrade on Evans and can come and play as we develop Davenport for a year with a view for a Davenport-Travis pairing.

Of course, I'd have rather pushed for a Joe Aribo or actually committed half the transfer budget on a proper CM as I'm more convinced Downing will be the next Danny Murphy or Peter Whittingham.

Surely we deserve some luck with the golden oldies signing.

If not, it's only a 1 year deal ?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I was never a huge fan, but I don't think you get over 30 caps for England and a move to Liverpool for 20 million plus if you are just average.

Some very average players have played for England - he's one of them. Large fees signify nothing. 

• Like 2

I wasn't over the moon on Downing but I've come to look at it like this... Who would you rather have out there... A fella whos played for massive clubs, England, moved for big money and played regular for a team who finished above us? Or Conway or Smallwood?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Some very average players have played for England - he's one of them. Large fees signify nothing. 

Jim, this isn't 2006.

We're shit and have been for about 8 years. A very average, past his best, ex-England international would probably be our best player these days. 

• Like 2

Just now, Neal said:

I wasn't over the moon on Downing but I've come to look at it like this... Who would you rather have out there... A fella whos played for massive clubs, England, moved for big money and played regular for a team who finished above us?

Could be Danny Murphy  this 

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Large fees signify nothing, yet we need to spend? Mmm 

I didn't say we need to spend.  I said he's too old, adds nothing to the squad and wasn't wonderful even in his prime.

As usual, you're making it up again.

Just now, Neal said:

I wasn't over the moon on Downing but I've come to look at it like this... Who would you rather have out there... A fella whos played for massive clubs, England, moved for big money and played regular for a team who finished above us? Or Conway or Smallwood?

Sounds great but the problem is - he is older than both of those (admittedly just on Conway) and its not really that much different to Murphy. I knows we give stick to older signings here but we don't have the best of history with aging unless we go as far back as Tugay and he was early thirties when he signed. You could also argue we already have an ex England international on our books that went for millions to big clubs. Dunno whats going on with the latter either - looked greatin patches looked cant be arsed in others. 

Just now, Neal said:

Or C) None of the above?

What next, Simon Garner?

When we were linked with Downing I thought it was a mischievous wind up perpetrated by fans of rival Clubs. I can't stress how annoyed I am by this signing, we finally get one past it player off the wage bill giving us a bit more leeway and promptly replace him with another equally past it player in exactly the same position.

It's almost as though Mowbray is sticking two fingers up at the fans.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Or C) None of the above?

What next, Simon Garner?

When we were linked with Downing I thought it was a mischievous wind up perpetrated by fans of rival Clubs. I can't stress how annoyed I am by this signing, we finally get one past it player off the wage bill giving us a bit more leeway and promptly replace him with another equally past it player in exactly the same position.

It's almost as though Mowbray is sticking two fingers up at the fans.

Its a year though at the end of the day and he did play regularly last season for a genuine playoff chasing team. Not exactly inspired by the signing either but we did offer Conway a deal and he obviously decided against - so I guess it comes down to who you would prefer from the two and its quite obvious that Downing has by far eclipsed Conway in the career stakes.

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Me thinks he'll be the washed-up John Aston who replaced the mercurial Waggy. 

The difference between  the Waggy's and the modern equivalent is the Waggy's would have made a bob or two out of the game but still needed to earn a crust to get by. The Downing's and Rodwell's  will be millionaires and if they don't fancy it all of a sudden so what ?

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I can guarantee you this much , both Smallwood and Conway (neither of whom I particular rate) would cover a hell of a lot more ground than Downing . I have been banging the drum about wanting. Natural let footer in forward areas of the pitch for a while now because I think it's a player we desperately need , never thought it would be a 35 year old version of Jason Wilcox . At his age he just will not be able to get up and down the pitch so I fully expect him to be played in midfield And he will just stroll around picking the odd pass here and there  very Danny murphy'esq ... We are not good enough to play with 10 and carry players