BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I believe that top half is a far more realistic target for us, Tony has to make all the positive  sounds about top 6 as it goes with the job.

As many posters have pointed out, we need 3-4 defenders, possibly a GK, new CF and CM that's 6 or 7 players - we don't have the finances to support that type of transfer activity.

We are a 'work in progress', slowly building (hopefully) to a promotion squad maybe two seasons away yet.

Trying to stay on subject, I wouldn't mind seeing Hanley and Gally back as Charlie and Danny will be another year older,

Getting quite excited by this transfer window. I tend to be one for bringing players from other leagues in a different countries.

I feel like Downing needs to be seen as someone capable of leading the dressing room, helping the younger generation of players, and make an impact. A regular starter maybe not. It is a solid additional to the locker room.

O’Neil sounds quite exciting as well with Smallwood hopefully on the exit he would be a good addition to the spine of the midfield but I feel it is starting to get a little over crowded. Unless we do a 4 diamond and using the wingbacks for cross as currently we have:

rothwell, davenport (excited to see how he kicks on), travis, dack, downing, evans, Smallwood, (new midfielder). 

Hanley would be a decent addition I do remember him being incredibly slow on the turn around. But I would love to see us push mulgrew in front of the defence and have.

raya

nyambe lenihan hanley (new left back please!)

Mulgrew/Evans 

rothwell.         Travis

Dack

Armstrong/Brereton—Graham 

Mowbray's fault all this if he'd actually sign a decent fecking player for once there'd be something real to debate/argue over but instead it's posse season.

PULL YOUR FINGER OUT TONY !!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Selling to run the club in other words - before/leading to relegation -, hopefully another similar scenario ( that will surely come ) falls into the category of trading club again i.e reinvest in the squad.

Well it did lead to relegation...so yes...but now we have won promotion the reinvestment is s/t different FFP rules...

1 hour ago, HowieFive0 said:

Manager Talk. All managers come out and state targets. ..and all should be taken with a pinch of salt .

15-16 clubs will all be spouting the same ambitions for 8 places . If Mowbray came out and stated mid table fans would be up in arms about lack of ambition ..season ticket sales would falter (even more !) and yet when he states top 8 fans will slate him for not reaching that target . "But Mowbray said top eight …??" 

Damned if he does damned if he doesn't  but no different from other managers up n down the country. Take it with a pinch of salt and as fans work out yourself just where we SHOULD be hitting this season.

so you are saying he is deliberately telling lies via the LT to sell season tickets.

Doesn't seem a sound plan from a man who has so much integrity. Unlikely imo.

If he says top 8 then I suggest he believes that. In turn so do a good number of fans. Lets hope he has the tools to achieve it.

I am NOT expecting promotion this season.

I AM expecting the play offs as a minimum.

2 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

In fact, it has to drop by 30, because to improve our defence, Mulgrew has to be replaced and that means losing 10 on the goals for column every season too.

So we either go big on defence, or we have to find another ten goals as well as sure things up a little.

Tough one.

I am being realistic- expecting less than 50 goals against from 46 games requires an exceptional defence.

I am simply looking for a defence which does its job.

As others have pointed out, getting a strong defence does not prevent someone else from tucking away penalties.

For that matter having a commanding physical presence at the back usually means the same player can cause mayhem when we have a corner so that could compensate for losing Mulgrew's four goals direct from corners which I agree are something very special. 

Had we conceded 50 rather than 69 last season with GF 64 GA 50, we would almost certainly made the play-offs.

Hence arguing that defensive signings are the measure of this window.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Worry is that TM seems to think a new centre half is going to solve all our defensive issues, yet will then persist to play Bennett at right back and wonder why it all goes wrong.

I think Nyambe has been treated shockingly by Mowbray and is always first casualty in "Operation play Bennett". 

Bennett at RB instead of Nyambe is the cause of so much of our defensive problems and a back 4 of Nyambe - Lenihan - *Hanley* - Bell, would bring down our goals against column by a good 25%.

Now of course I'm not saying that Nyambe is Cafu, he will make mistakes, but compared to anyone else in our squad, he the only choice at RB. CB is the biggest priority in our squad by some distance.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Did I gloss over that fact, or did I explicitly state it? Have another read.

Yes, damn right they should put their money in. I'd rather piss on them than thank them. You seem to have somehow mistaken my post as having a pro-Venkys agenda.

"sure, it's a mess of their own making" read like you were glossing over it to me. All bright and breasy; "sure, Michael Jackson was weird with kids but he had some amazing tracks" 

The Downing signing isn’t exactly “inspiring” but you can’t help but feel he has a lot to teach Armstrong, Chapman and Rothwell on how to be an effective winger. He’s played for England enough times, had good spells at Liverpool and Boro in the Prem, he obviously knows the game. I’ll reserve my judgement on the signing based on his contribution. He’s a far better player than Etuhu and Whittingham anyway so probably an unfair comparison. 

I can’t help but feel Rodwell signing is a priority now. He is so much better in centre mid than centre half so if Tony has a bit of guts about him that’s where he’ll play him - he’s head and shoulders above Evans and Smallwood and partnered with a Davenport or new addition he’ll be a solid choice.

People are forgetting the amount of players in our squad under 25. Old heads like Mulgrew, Downing, Rodwell (although not that old in comparison) go a long way to maintaining a motivated dressing room. 

• Like 1

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

so you are saying he is deliberately telling lies via the LT to sell season tickets.

Doesn't seem a sound plan from a man who has so much integrity. Unlikely imo.

If he says top 8 then I suggest he believes that. In turn so do a good number of fans. Lets hope he has the tools to achieve it.

I am NOT expecting promotion this season.

I AM expecting the play offs as a minimum.

Nooo not saying for one minute hes telling lies ..but nearly every manager in that league will think they can make top eight but they aint going to. My point is that then fans take his words as fact and and then  berate him when any one of 14 sides could end up in the Play Offs . Again we ve all got a good idea where we could ..or even where we  should finish.

Will repost seeing as my other thread is as removed:

one interesting thing to note with regards to downing signing which everyone is comparing to whittingham Murphy and Etuhu is that the previous have had to drop down a league which they never adjusted to. Downing is tried and tested in the championship

• Like 1

Mad how many people are saying how Downing can help Armstrong develop. 

The guys a fucking striker, not a winger, and he never will be a winger. 

Just now, K-Hod said:

No, but I suspect you can probably take a wild guess.

True ..but it would be nice to know who so other members can form a judgement whether they were banned rightly or wrongly and whether this forum is for them or not.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Mad how many people are saying how Downing can help Armstrong develop. 

The guys a fucking striker, not a winger, and he never will be a winger. 

Got player of the month playing on the wing. I don't like him upfront at all. What's mad about saying Downing can help him develop? Like, of course he can