BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Got player of the month playing on the wing. I don't like him upfront at all. What's mad about saying Downing can help him develop? Like, of course he can 

He has looked good in spells up front but a lone striker in the system (we currently play) is not ideal for him. If we knocked it around on the ground it could work. In a 4-4-2 with a partner he would be good too.

• Like 1

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

HaHa BigD ..rumbled ..just be nice to know everyone being treated fairly and not some knee jerk decisions from the mods that's all. 

Doubt anyone could have any arguments to be fair - it got a little personal. I think I could make out 3 maybe 4 of who would have got bans.

None are permanent i hope though.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Mad how many people are saying how Downing can help Armstrong develop. 

The guys a fucking striker, not a winger, and he never will be a winger. 

Who has been saying this anyway? I thought they have been saying it about Chapman, not Armstrong.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I have. Under Tony Mowbray Armstrong plays on the wing - always. Therefore it would be safe to assume that his place in the squad is as a winger. 

He has played a few times up front but yeah, primarily he is more a winger here under TM. I think it would be fair to day that plenty in the squad could learn a thing or two from such an experienced player.

Just previously read a tweet from Chapman about how he is buzzing the Downing is here and he cant wait to continue learning from him.

Edited by JacknOry

Just now, JacknOry said:

He has played a few times up front but yeah, primarily he is more a winger here under TM. I think it would be fair to day that plenty in the squad could learn a thing or two from such an experienced player.

Just previously read a tweet from Chapman about how he is buzzing the Downing is here and he cant wait to continue learning from him.

He’s been tried up front but for whatever reason it doesn’t seem to suit TM him playing there. Hence why we bought Brereton and are now being linked with Gallagher. The tall striker seems to be his preferred option. I don’t doubt Armstrong sees himself as more of a striker but that’s a whole other issue! 

Im excited about Chapman next season and hope he stays fit. We need to nurture him and develop him physically though otherwise he’ll spend another season in the physio room. 

41 minutes ago, philipl said:

I am being realistic- expecting less than 50 goals against from 46 games requires an exceptional defence.

I am simply looking for a defence which does its job.

As others have pointed out, getting a strong defence does not prevent someone else from tucking away penalties.

For that matter having a commanding physical presence at the back usually means the same player can cause mayhem when we have a corner so that could compensate for losing Mulgrew's four goals direct from corners which I agree are something very special. 

Had we conceded 50 rather than 69 last season with GF 64 GA 50, we would almost certainly made the play-offs.

Hence arguing that defensive signings are the measure of this window.

Spot on but sadly I don't believe Mowbray truly shares this I think he'll try to get away with it as it is and cover it over with waxing on about killer balls and experienced heads to guide the youngsters. In other words trumping up his massive Downing signing and maybe a striker on loan and another midfielder, at best a back up defender who can cover a few positions.  That could also be trumped up by the re-signing of Rodwell swallowing up the remaining budget money.

The back end of the seasons good finish and the amount invested in the defence already in terms of contracts for the ones we have alongside Williams looking ok in CH a time or to will dictate this.

'Defenders are coming' will turn out to be more utter tosh I reckon. 

1596590818_Screenshot_20190623-122036_SkySports.thumb.jpg.05ca1d3835bf743db39e5da1d3ff096d.jpg

When you read something and it leaves you speechless.

Also, Joe Aribo choosing Rangers. I know they have Steven Gerrard etc but to turn down Championship and apparently Premier League teams in favour of the SPL, again, speechless.

Lots of good free agents starting to make their moves, and we've secured Downing.

• Like 3

Just now, gumboots said:

I just hope Bob Fleming isn't one of the banned ones. Was good to see him back. I like his style of writing

Nope, still here gb.

Anyway, transfers.

Everyone knows we need new defenders, including the manager. Despite what some will tell you the transfer window didn’t shut the minute Downing signed his contract. There is still time.

Most, if not all, players contracts end on 30 June. Why start paying players earlier? Not saying that’s the reason why we haven’t been busier but it’s hardly been hectic around the championship.

So a centre half, left back, new keeper, new midfielder and a striker. Possibly for me. 

I’ve no problem with the Downing signing. One thing this team needs is leaders and experience. Time to put an end to the sloppy unforgivably weak goals we give away at the end of matches. Get some accountability in the team. We need two or three in there to dig the culprits out. A proper centre half, a Craig Short, Kevin Moran, Berg type to get them organised and switched on. 

If we stop these mistakes, bring 4 or 5 better players in than we’ve got (big ask) then we really should be right up there challenging.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Mad how many people are saying how Downing can help Armstrong develop. 

The guys a fucking striker, not a winger, and he never will be a winger. 

It's called scrabbling around for the positives if we signed Teddy Sheringham today on a two year deal you'd still get some saying well he's here now give him a chance and at least he'll learn Graham a thing or two about playing till he's 40 if nothing else  ?

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Total honesty from Square Peg Mowbray:

"People have learnt over the last few years that I like players with the ability to play in different positions - Elliott Bennett being a classic case at the moment.

• Like 6

Just now, deryck guyler's spoon said:

On the flip side we could sign Messi and some on here would whine about him being over thirty. It's the modern way. The rise of instant opinion has been the death of nuance.

Ronaldo would be better surely...

I honestly think to get to the level of the top 6 we are around 7-8 players away from being able to compete with the them over a 46 game season.

Firstly in my opinion we need a complete overhaul of the back line a new goal keeper, a new right, back, a new left back and 2 new centre backs are needed. 

In central midfield we need another body. Rodwell clearly isn't keen to be here so I would withdraw our offer, Smallwood I don't class as an option, so that leaves us with Evans, Travis Davenport and maybe Downing. Evans and Davenport aren't exactly reliable in terms of fitness and Downing is 35. So another body in there is needed ideally we need someone who is comfortable on the ball that can link the play up with Dack.  

Personally I would like to see another natural winger brought in someone who can beat his man and get a good delivery in. Armstrong is not a winger, Chapman has fitness issues and is probably seen as a sub. Also it's clear that another striker is needed to share the load with Graham.

I would also hope that we are looking to get rid of the likes of Bennett, Williams, Samuel, Brereton and Smallwood none of whom are good enough to be part of a team targeting a top 6 spot.

• Like 3

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

I honestly think to get to the level of the top 6 we are around 7-8 players away from being able to compete with the them over a 46 game season.

Firstly in my opinion we need a complete overhaul of the back line a new goal keeper, a new right, back, a new left back and 2 new centre backs are needed. 

In central midfield we need another body. Rodwell clearly isn't keen to be here so I would withdraw our offer, Smallwood I don't class as an option, so that leaves us with Evans, Travis Davenport and maybe Downing. Evans and Davenport aren't exactly reliable in terms of fitness and Downing is 35. So another body in there is needed ideally we need someone who is comfortable on the ball that can link the play up with Dack.  

Personally I would like to see another natural winger brought in someone who can beat his man and get a good delivery in. Armstrong is not a winger, Chapman has fitness issues and is probably seen as a sub. Also it's clear that another striker is needed to share the load with Graham.

I would also hope that we are looking to get rid of the likes of Bennett, Williams, Samuel, Brereton and Smallwood none of whom are good enough to be part of a team targeting a top 6 spot.

Brereton has just turned 20!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I just hope Bob Fleming isn't one of the banned ones. Was good to see him back. I like his style of writing

Since he only appears every 6 months banning him would be pointless!

Agree though with your comment.

I do think the Brereton signing will sting us financially for a while yet and it wasn't a wise punt in that regard at all but player wise I think everyone should give him a clean slate next season.

• Like 3