BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Make no mistake about it, our most important players for next season are already at the club. We have a very limited budget by the sounds of things, I can smell what’s cooking here. You don’t make Stewart Downing at 35 your first signing when your desperately trying to shift season tickets.

For the record, we have decent squad with a lot of potential, with even more potential coming through with Butterworth, Buckley and Magloire.

I’m fine with being skint next year(use to it) but don’t lie to us, and don’t spend 7m on Brereton when we have no money.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 2

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

Make no mistake about it, our most important players for next season are already at the club. We have a very limited budget by the sounds of things, I can smell what’s cooking here. You don’t make Stewart Downing at 35 your first signing when your desperately trying to shift season tickets.

For the record, we have decent squad with a lot of potential, with even more potential coming through with Butterworth, Buckley and Magloire.

I’m fine with being skint next year(use to it) but don’t lie to us, and don’t spend 7m on Brereton when we have no money.

I'm not convinced by the Downing signing, and I certainly haven't been by the Brereton signing either.

But I must say, this logic that a few people have put out, of it mattering what our 'first' signing is...I find it strange. Sure, if you got to pick which order things will land, you wouldn't ideally make the 35-year old winger your opening gambit, due to temporarily affecting fan morale. I do get that. But why should we gear our transfer policy around selling season tickets? If you don't want to make Downing your first signing, but you do intend to sign Downing, what do you do? Tell Stewart "Sorry mate, we're going to sign you but we can't have you be the first one, it'll be a bit embarrassing and stop us selling season tickets"? He sure as hell won't sign then (possibly a good thing in this case, but management obviously don't think so).

Or do you suddenly throw more money at one of your other targets to get him over the line first? That could easily cost more than the small increase in season tickets will recoup.

You have to sign players in the order you finalise the deals. It's the only practical thing to do. On top of which...let's just assume (I'll exaggerate to make the point clearer) that our business this summer was to be Downing, Assombalonga, Stones and Cristiano Ronaldo. If you sign them in that order, or you start with the big names, is it going to really make any difference to how many we sell? I doubt it would do much more than dictate the times at which the tickets were sold. Nobody is going to reach the end of the window, contemplating whether to buy a season ticket, then when the big names rocked up in the last week go "Actually nah I'm good, they signed Downing at the start of the window and now my soul is dead to football". The season ticket sales which are dependent on names signing will make the same decision regardless of when the names are signed (not accounting for chaos theory of course).

Some clarification since people on here like to take things out of context to fabricate an argument: I know our big names won't be as grandiose as that, and possibly won't come at all. I know we need defenders and I only listed one. It was just for illustrative purposes. I also know how it looks when we badly need defenders and the first name in is another aged winger. I'm not inspired either. But the point is, as long as the right players get in during the window, that's all that really matters. The only reason to hold off on one deal for longer is if the resources for it might affect another target, and frankly we'll never know the ins and outs of that dance (unless a Brereton-level fee is used up early, which would obviously impact other signings).

And another clarification - yes I know getting players in earlier means they get more time to bed in, but I doubt that tends to be worth the extra money. I'm also not expressly talking about you, Fraser, just this particular notion I've seen a few times. Agree with you on your other points, including that maybe it will transpire our budget is limited.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Butty said:

If we sign Gallagher too play up top then yes he’d be a good signing. If we sign Gallagher too play on the wing in the Armstrong role of not tracking back and just not even being a winger in the first place then it’s a no. Don’t know why anyone is talking about changing manager though, he’s not done much wrong and if he hasn’t got a pot too piss in this summer it won’t make a difference who’s in charge we won’t be making the play offs even if Pep was our manager. 

All true. 

12 hours ago, AAK said:

Its one or the other he either wasnt good enough/not ready or the manager didnt play him meaning the manager got it wrong, pretty straightforward mate, pick one of them two options, theres no inbetween? You wont cause you wont have a go at the manager in any way whatsoever.

I have plenty of goes at him, so that's nonsense. 

Ya, maybe he wasn't ready. Would that be in the category of the "manager getting it wrong" though? Worth getting him in for a look at League 1 level anyway, he could be going to the Champions of Europe this summer. Like many players we sign, the "experts" here were on saying he wasn't good enough. If he played so little for us, I do wonder how you all formed your opinions :) 

9 hours ago, Mercer said:

and there are also 50+ older / experienced managers who have done or do jack shit.

Think Mowbray at best is a 'has been', if he ever was anything!

It's a pathetic and defeatist argument to say there is no one better out there.

Loads of managers would snatch your arm off in the Championship if they were given £6million to find a 'quality' centre back and striker.

Sadly, for Rovers, I think Mowbray spunked £10million away in last summer's window.  The failure of the Brereton signing alone, IMO, merits his sacking. 

So sack a manager who reached our target of mid table over signing an England under 19 international that he has stated needed time to settle in. Mmm ok then.  I think the money could have been spent elsewhere, but sacking him over it? Come on 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 47er said:

We would ALL love to do well this season but not because it gives gloating rights. What if we do badly and everyone queues up to remind you of this post?

This is NOT what the MB is for.

If we do badly what would be the point of reminding me of that post? I have never said we will do well. It's too early for predictions yet. Some of you should remember that. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we do badly what would be the point of reminding me of that post? I have never said we will do well. It's too early for predictions yet. Some of you should remember that. 

Jesus wept! I'm responding to your post which said "God I would love it if we did very well this season. The word eating would be good".

I was attempting to point out how childish that was but, as usual, its lost on you. I never said you said "we will do very well". Get your brain in gear!

Please remind me never to respond to your posts, its like Biz on steroids.

Just now, 47er said:

Jesus wept! I'm responding to your post which said "God I would love it if we did very well this season. The word eating would be good".

I was attempting to point out how childish that was but, as usual, its lost on you. I never said you said "we will do very well". Get your brain in gear!

Please remind me never to respond to your posts, its like Biz on steroids.

You weren't very clear, as usual. I still don't get you and I couldn't be bothered delving further. You only do negativity well. 

Just put me on ignore, or remind yourself not to respond. I have better things to be doing.  

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have plenty of goes at him, so that's nonsense. 

Ya, maybe he wasn't ready. Would that be in the category of the "manager getting it wrong" though? Worth getting him in for a look at League 1 level anyway, he could be going to the Champions of Europe this summer. Like many players we sign, the "experts" here were on saying he wasn't good enough. If he played so little for us, I do wonder how you all formed your opinions :) 

15 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What are you gibbering on about? It was the usual stuff of him "not being good enough" on here, before he even played for us, or didn't play as was mostly the case. It happens with practically everyone we are linked with or sign. 

The line was why is Mowbray signing this guy? Well we were in league 1 and a season later he is being linked with two of the biggest clubs in Europe. The move didn't work out here for various reasons, but it just shows that he was a good find. The couch scouts who don't even watch players before writing them off crack me up. 

Your sudden desperation to make everyone seem negative is bizarre. The main criticism when Harper signed was that as a 17 year old on loan, he would prevent our own young central midfielders from coming through.

When he did play, he wasnt up to scratch at that time and looked out of his depth, highlights I remember are against Crewe when he got sent off and against Blackpool when our performance level dropped after his introduction. Its quite ironic that you put this down to "couch scouts" when many of these people who have recently commented are regulars at games and saw him play to make these judgements, and you are not in a position to do so yourself. As you say, the move didnt work out.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Your sudden desperation to make everyone seem negative is bizarre. The main criticism when Harper signed was that as a 17 year old on loan, he would prevent our own young central midfielders from coming through.

When he did play, he wasnt up to scratch at that time and looked out of his depth, highlights I remember are against Crewe when he got sent off and against Blackpool when our performance level dropped after his introduction. Its quite ironic that you put this down to "couch scouts" when many of these people who have recently commented are regulars at games and saw him play to make these judgements, and you are not in a position to do so yourself. As you say, the move didnt work out.

The couch scouts say players aren't good without every seeing them pay. Is that difficult for you to understand? It seems to be ,because you are answering something I didn't say. 

How do you know the couch scouts I am referring to are regulars at games when I never named anyone? That's funny, you must have some posters in mind :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You weren't very clear, as usual. I still don't get you and I couldn't be bothered delving further. You only do negativity well. 

Just put me on ignore, or remind yourself not to respond. I have better things to be doing.  

Why the hell do you run around day after day digging out peoples posts trying to twist then to your perceived negativity then telling everyone you've better things to do ?  It doesn't seem like you do as you are the one starting the arguments.

Just accept a lot don't share your candyfloss covered views on everything, that candyfloss was seriously missing when you were wanting Mowbray out and were a merchant of doom yourself not long ago !

Get a grip pal lets get the season started we'll all have plenty to fall out over then in the meantime chill and dig out some Downing posters ready to tell us you told us so when the Teeside Messi does his stuff ?

• Like 5

Just now, tomphil said:

Why the hell do you run around day after day digging out peoples posts trying to twist then to your perceived negativity then telling everyone you've better things to do ?  It doesn't seem like you do as you are the one starting the arguments.

Just accept a lot don't share your candyfloss covered views on everything, that candyfloss was seriously missing when you were wanting Mowbray out and were a merchant of doom yourself not long ago !

Get a grip pal lets get the season started we'll all have plenty to fall out over then in the meantime chill and dig out some Downing posters ready to tell us you told us so when the Teeside Messi does his stuff ?

I don't dig out any posts like some of the petty crew here. I just comment on what I see. 

If my posts bother, just put me on ignore. What's next? Are you going to threaten to slap heads off concrete again? ??

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Harper played like he didn't want to be at Rovers, I would have thought that was obvious. Mowbray must have thought the same thing because he sent him back in mid season.

Maybe the lad thought he'd dropped a clanger coming and he was really unhappy, that can happen, but he showed nothing in his short stay that led me to think he was good enough for this level of football never mind the big time.

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't dig out any posts like some of the petty crew here. I just comment on what I see. 

If my posts bother, just put me on ignore. What's next? Are you going to threaten to slap heads off concrete again? ??

It was tarmac and no there's no point it's full of bottle jobs on here, eh.... ?

• Like 1

I’m never one to claim sources, and this isn’t an insider. However my mates doing a plumbing job on Brockhall today and said there was someone posing with a shirt outside the training centre. Seen as Downing’s already done his i’d suggest this is a new signing to be announced today. 

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

I’m never one to claim sources, and this isn’t an insider. However my mates doing a plumbing job on Brockhall today and said there was someone posing with a shirt outside the training centre. Seen as Downing’s already done his i’d suggest this is a new signing to be announced today. 

Might just be the new kit

• Like 1

Just now, AggyBlue said:

Might just be the new kit

Normally not out until mid July. Said he looked like he had short blonde hair. Don’t quote me on that bit but definitely said it looked like a signing.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Normally not out until mid July. Said he looked like he had short blonde hair. Don’t quote me on that bit but definitely said it looked like a signing.

Ben Gladwin? "He's like a new signing".........................................................

Get ya hard hats

• Like 3