BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just catching up, but I'm okay with the Downing signing if you take it as Conway out Downing in, which is an upgrade. Chapman was positive that he could carry on learning from SD and I like the sound of Boro fans saying he rarely gives the ball away. We need wingers if we're going to cease playing strikers on the wing.

Now to sort out the defence with 2xCB and a LB. Add a striker and a central midfielder and we'll be looking good.

I’m afraid “rarely gives the ball away” might not be best trait for an aging Winger. That suggests he doesn’t have the pace to threaten the by-line and has to cut back inside all the time. Bet you Bennett and Conways ball retention stats from last year are surprisingly impressive for a similar reason, they can’t create separation. 

Give me a Rothwell or a Chapman anytime even if they lose the ball trying to make something happen. I say this having watched this Mowbray 4-5-1 or the Liverpool 4-3-3 which he has mentioned.

Think we will see downing inside more than outside.

Edited by Fraserkirky

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Because if they were taking pictures they would have released the news hours ago. I was right, nothing happened. 

As for Bates, hmmm not sure he is what we need

A 6’4” defender?

Whats wrong with him?

17 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

I’m afraid “rarely gives the ball away” might not be best trait for an aging Winger. That suggests he doesn’t have the pace to threaten the by-line and has to cut back inside all the time. Bet you Bennett and Conways ball retention stats from last year are surprisingly impressive for a similar reason, they can’t create separation. 

Give me a Rothwell or a Chapman anytime even if they lose the ball trying to make something happen. I say this having watched this Mowbray 4-5-1 or the Liverpool 4-3-3 which he has mentioned.

You could have said " rarely gives the ball away " about Whittingham. That's because he rarely strayed over the half way line, almost always passed short and medium distances and never made anything happen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You could have said " rarely gives the ball away " about Whittingham. That's because he rarely strayed over the half way line, almost always passed short and medium distances and never made anything happen.

Same idea. If you have Mascherano type defensive midfielder then yeah ball retention is important. Winger?? Not sure if that’s the best compliment 

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, roverandout said:

David bates can't even get in the Hamburg team and they are a  second tier team in Germany. He looks gash for Scotland too

*cough* Samba *cough*

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

I wouldn't think Downing will be used in an attacking place ahead of Rothwell and Chapman. But how many late goals did we give away last season? Someone with experience and able to keep the ball will help when we're under pressure. We were losing our heads last season in the last 5/10 mins.

4 hours ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Did we though? I can't remember us plucking many Championship or League 1 players from obscurity when we were in the Premier League..

I know we did get some gems, but the majority of those were from overseas clubs: Nelsen, Samba, Friedel, Tugay, Benni, Roque, Nzonzi, Pedersen, Salgado, Jermaine Jones, Goulon, Bellamy..

Kuqi is probably the only one that really jumps out at me if I'm honest, oh, and Keith Andrews..

Ripley, Jansen, Neill, Reid and Stead??

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Pedro said:

Ripley, Jansen, Neill, Reid and Stead??

Would also argue Samba and Nzonzi were from the definitions of obscurity. One from Hertha Berlin B's reserves, the other a kid from Ligue 3.

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

Just catching up, but I'm okay with the Downing signing if you take it as Conway out Downing in, which is an upgrade. Chapman was positive that he could carry on learning from SD and I like the sound of Boro fans saying he rarely gives the ball away. We need wingers if we're going to cease playing strikers on the wing.

Now to sort out the defence with 2xCB and a LB. Add a striker and a central midfielder and we'll be looking good.

Keeper?

Just now, Mike E said:

Would also argue Samba and Nzonzi were from the definitions of obscurity. One from Hertha Berlin B's reserves, the other a kid from Ligue 3.

Very true.  We unearthed some real gems. Quite a few duds went on to be pretty awesome too.

Just now, Mike E said:

Ligue 2, but yeh, certainly obscure. A market we need to look to again.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Ligue 2, but yeh, certainly obscure. A market we need to look to again.

That's it. We don't need perfection but someone who can do the basics of defending. We invite crosses into the box and are simply unable to deal with them.  A big no no nonsense CB and something that resembles a left back.

5 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

A 6’4” defender?

Whats wrong with him?

I can’t comment on his time at Hamburg only rangers and he didn’t look up to much. Can’t even get in our Scotland team which is horrific for central defenders. I really think we should be looking elsewhere for central defence than Scotland . It’s our weakest area 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OJRovers said:

I wouldn't think Downing will be used in an attacking place ahead of Rothwell and Chapman. But how many late goals did we give away last season? Someone with experience and able to keep the ball will help when we're under pressure. We were losing our heads last season in the last 5/10 mins.

To me, the late goals was more caused by the fact we ran out of gas rather than lack of composure. We dropped deeper and deeper which invited pressure. A 35 year old whose legs may have gone isn't the answer to that one I'm afraid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

To me, the late goals was more caused by the fact we ran out of gas rather than lack of composure. We dropped deeper and deeper which invited pressure. A 35 year old whose legs may have gone isn't the answer to that one I'm afraid.

Doesn't matter what age players are if they are not fit for purpose and can't do 90 minutes, that's down to the manager and his coaching /fitness staff.

Downing is noted for being fit and Tony Pulis on record as saying post-match stats showed him as one of the top performers in distance covered. I have warmed a bit to his signing but he won't be surging past defenders to put crosses over so expect them from deeper and corners and freekicks. Mowbray likes to protect his own deficiency in building a strong defence by favouring midfielders of a defensive nature, Downing may not be suited to that. 

14 hours ago, Beanie01289 said:

Has he tho it's up to 7m with targets met if he reaches the targets he will have been worth 7m no? 

This has been discussed countless times on here with links to various articles on fee with some stating £7million+ add ons.

My understanding is a very substantial non target fee with add ons - supposedly Forest couldn't believe their luck.  That is the view of a colleague/friend who's a Forest fan and uses the hospitality facilities at City Ground. 

Mowbray knew he had to 'clear' this one up at Blues in Feb..  My recollection of what he said: signed Brereton on basis of his performance against Rovers at their place where we lost 2-1, we'd paid £6/7 million (no attempt to say part of this was with targets) and he thought he'd be a £15 to £20 million footballer in time to come.  Anyone on this MB who was also at Blues will be able to confirm.  

Edited by Mercer

4 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I can’t comment on his time at Hamburg only rangers and he didn’t look up to much. Can’t even get in our Scotland team which is horrific for central defenders. I really think we should be looking elsewhere for central defence than Scotland . It’s our weakest area 

Not even Rhodes who was banging goals in for fun couldnt even get into the Scotland. I see the comment as relatively void.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Not even Rhodes who was banging goals in for fun couldnt even get into the Scotland. I see the comment as relatively void.

I think the inference is that Mulgrew gets in ahead of him.

15 hours ago, Beanie01289 said:

Has he tho it's up to 7m with targets met if he reaches the targets he will have been worth 7m no? 

Didn't the accounts show around 5/6 million paid down for fees last summer ? Presumably a big lump down up front on AA & BB so if another lump follows this summer which it probably will that's another big bit of wedge again presumably out of this seasons budget as that's how they usually do it at Rovers with this lot I think.

Hence why we will be financially hamstrung by that transfer for a while yet and maybe they got rid of the add ons by whacking more down upfront, common practise I believe to get rushed deals through which that one was.

What we've seen since is two wages out in Downing & Conway and one in ( probably costing the other two wages ) in Downing unless i'm missing something. So no actual extra on the wage bill from last time as of yet.

• Like 1