BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

If Samuel had been fit he’d have been another striker resembling a fish on a bicycle out wide.

Yeah, and in League 1 he did it with Antonsson too. This strange obsession with turning strikers into wide midfielders needs to stop. 

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Signed a 2 year deal last summer with she shrews if we are paying a fee why’d he sign for a year only?

Would seem risky for the player and an outlay at risk for rovers

Yeah probably rubbish

So people aren’t allowed to criticise Mowbray’s approach to transfers, the comments he makes, the mistakes he makes, his lack of motivational skills, his lack of ruthlessness, the tactics he employs etc (Atko’s observations, by the way) as it is ‘a stick to beat him with’ ? 

He’s the manager of a club who finished 15th last season, so he’s going to get critiqued just like every manager of every club on every forum. He’s fair game.

I’m getting a bit sick of the posting decency police (and I’m someone who thinks he’s doing fine, as it goes) deciding Mowbray should be off limits, should he buggery!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So people aren’t allowed to criticise Mowbray’s approach to transfers, the comments he makes, the mistakes he makes, his lack of motivational skills, his lack of ruthlessness, the tactics he employs etc (Atko’s observations, by the way) as it is ‘a stick to beat him with’ ? 

He’s the manager of a club who finished 15th last season, so he’s going to get critiqued just like every manager of every club on every forum. He’s fair game.

I’m getting a bit sick of the posting decency police (and I’m someone who thinks he’s doing fine, as it goes) deciding Mowbray should be off limits, should he buggery!

Atko gave his examples of “silly” reasons to criticise, like the order of the deals, other clubs signings, picking apart the inconsistencies in every interview of a man who’s asked to speak / quotes sometimes 5/6 times a week!

I think that’s fair enough opinion. Disagreeing with a view on a website isn’t “decency” police, what else is this place for?

Some are so bizarre, it’s not worth even responding too - like sacking the manager on the sole basis of BB’s transfer. Each to their own though, everyone has opinions some will think are well off.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

There's nothing wrong with fair and constructive critique Matty, but when it creeps over into suggesting that he's manipulating the club / owners / fans for his own ends so he can get his kids through private school (for example) or that he's only interested in getting jobs for the boys (as another example), it goes too far and is disrespectful, which he doesn't deserve.

I'm sure he's thick skinned enough not to be too bothered, and is maybe less bothered than I am! But I think he ought to get more appreciation from many fans on here given the dire situation we were in when he arrived.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, West Yorks Rover said:

No surprises here, let's face the facts, Preston have a very capable and ambitious young manager, who is desperate to

succeed in getting them into the Premier League, or at least give it his best shot.

We have Tony Mowbray, who gives me the impression that we'll be ok as long as we improve slightly on last season.

The German lad probably fell asleep half way through their conversation.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Never have I thought that TM was desperate to get us back in the Premiership asap.

Professional football is not a leisurely stroll.

4 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Liam Lindsay for £2m. Adam Davies,  Jordan Cousins, Nick Powell and Lee Gregory.

See for me there’s nothing to be jealous of with the Stoke announcement. 

Only one of those players makes our starting eleven. Powell never fit, Cousins is an awful signing, Gregory ageing and no better than Graham and Davies no more proven than Raya.

People look at Stoke announcing 5 lads at once and think, woah! But besides Lindsay, there’s nothing to be envious of there at all. 

I’d rather give Butterworth and Buckley more game time than be wasting a wage on free transfers like Powell and Gregory who won’t push a team any further than 12th.

Edited by JoeHarvey

41 minutes ago, Biz said:

Atko gave his examples of “silly” reasons to criticise, like the order of the deals, other clubs signings, picking apart the inconsistencies in every interview of a man who’s asked to speak / quotes sometimes 5/6 times a week!

I think that’s fair enough opinion. Disagreeing with a view on a website isn’t “decency” police, what else is this place for?

Some are so bizarre, it’s not worth even responding too - like sacking the manager on the sole basis of BB’s transfer. Each to their own though, everyone has opinions some will think are well off.

Ha! "Strawman Alert"! Who said TM should be sacked on the sole basis that he signed Brereton? And if there was one why should the MB be condemned for it?

"Disagreeing with a view on a website isn’t “decency” police, what else is this place for?"-----that should be addressed to Atko's Engine (great name by the way)

• Like 1

People criticising Mowbray for not having the "desperation" or "urgency" to get us promoted are quite right to point this out but not to criticise IMO.

IT has been publicly stated by Mowbray that way of getting promoted was considered but decided it was too boom or bust, the ramifications if it goes wrong could see the club out of existence, instead it was decided on the slowly, slowly, catchy monkey way of doing things, a method that ensures we build year on year and when we get the the hallowed land we can try and make it for more that one season.

I understand why people want immediate results, but for me I agree with the stabilisation of my club to ensure it continues to exist for the long term, especially given where we ended up and the management of the club before Mowbray.

Some of the younger players signed in the past 12-18 months are now a year older so I expect more from them if they are given their chance, despite being burned with the likes of Murphy in recent history I remember us signing old timers like Gordon Cowans (integral to our promotion team), Mark Hughes (helped us win the League Cup) and Tugay playing for us until he was 88, so I will try to think positive about Downing until he gives me a reason not to, given the money spent on him in the past and the accolades he has had I think he at least deserves that.

I think we need strengthening for sure, experienced GK to get the best out of Raya for one, some more creativity to take the weight off Dack and a reliable alternative to Danny Graham for me are the key areas.

We have a good squad of young, talented players and some ready to make the breakthrough which I hope will make it feel like a couple of new signing as well.

• Like 3

This article on the process of transfers is highly illuminating, especially the answer to the last question regarding accounting for free transfers...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/marcottis-musings/62/post/3881418/anatomy-of-a-transfer-story-a-consumers-guide-to-rumorsfake-newsbuyback-clauses-and-more?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Like 3

On 23/06/2019 at 23:15, Mercer said:

Sadly, for Rovers, I think Mowbray spunked £10million away in last summer's window.  The failure of the Brereton signing alone, IMO, merits his sacking. 

@47er

And what Atko did wasn’t condemning the message board, me merely gave the opinion many people’s criticisms are unwarranted from his perspective.

Plus, I’d look up what a strawman is. 

Edited by Biz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

There's nothing wrong with fair and constructive critique Matty, but when it creeps over into suggesting that he's manipulating the club / owners / fans for his own ends so he can get his kids through private school (for example) or that he's only interested in getting jobs for the boys (as another example), it goes too far and is disrespectful, which he doesn't deserve.

I'm sure he's thick skinned enough not to be too bothered, and is maybe less bothered than I am! But I think he ought to get more appreciation from many fans on here given the dire situation we were in when he arrived.

You didn’t say ‘manipulating the club for his own ends’ in that first post, you talked about people pointing out some of his poor transfer decisions, his own weaknesses like lack of ruthlessness/motivational skills etc as ‘sticks to beat him with’, I said it’s fair game to talk about them.

Of course the school stuff etc. is ridiculous tin foil hat nonsense, but that wasn’t the thrust of that first post.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Gull said:

People criticising Mowbray for not having the "desperation" or "urgency" to get us promoted are quite right to point this out but not to criticise IMO.

Trouble is, some people take ANY comment that isn’t pro-Mowbray as criticism of him.

”Mowbray doesn’t have the urgency to get us promoted”

”Just get behind him and support the lads FFS”

It’s infuriating. Message boards are the place where everyone vents and speculates. If this stops then we may as well shut down the forums.

This isn’t a new phenomenon either, nor is it limited to Mowbray. People used to point out Coyle’s shortcomings and the got the same “GBTL, FFS” response.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

I’m sure Mowbray thinks he is being noble and honest but saying to a player during a meeting “you won’t be going straight into our starting line up*, you’ll have to earn your place” wouldn’t go down as well as “I’ve been tracking your progress for two years and I want you to be the main man in our defence - it would be your place to lose”.

Footballs are flakey, arrogant creatures and want to be told that they are great and “wanted”. How often do you hear departing players (at any club) say “I didn’t feel wanted”, for instance.

If Neill has told Bauer that he rates him and wants him to go straight into the team then it may have been the difference. Even if it doesn’t work out right from the start.

The only good thing about that article is that it doesn’t mention PNE our bidding us for wages.

*a starting line up that has one decent cb (a converted cm), and over-the-hill one and some makeshift from full backs! No wonder he wasn’t very impressed. Mowbray is literally loyal to a fault.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’m sure Mowbray thinks he is being noble and honest but saying to a player during a meeting “you won’t be going straight into our starting line up*, you’ll have to earn your place” wouldn’t go down as well as “I’ve been tracking your progress for two years and I want you to be the main man in our defence - it would be your place to lose”.

Footballs are flakey, arrogant creatures and want to be told that they are great and “wanted”. How often do you hear departing players (at any club) say “I didn’t feel wanted”, for instance.

If Neill has told Bauer that he rates him and wants him to go straight into the team then it may have been the difference. Even if it doesn’t work out right from the start.

The only good thing about that article is that it doesn’t mention PNE our bidding us for wages.

*a starting line up that has one decent cb (a converted cm), and over-the-hill one and some makeshift from full backs! No wonder he wasn’t very impressed. Mowbray is literally loyal to a fault.

It's one way of reading it.  Another is that Mowbray would have liked him but he's planning on signing another CB anyway and one that is hopefully better.  I imagine that without giving guarantees he's given Downing the impression he will, depending on form, play quite a bit but wasn't quite positive with Bauer.  That makes more sense to me, I don't think it is quite as black and white.  Of course Preston may have valued him more highly and offered him a little more money.

18 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Why am I still seeing Smallwood in a rovers kit? The guys needs to go asap. Can't deal with seeing both Evans & Smallwood in the middle some point next season. 

Perhaps he won't find another club if he is unfit?

18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I saw enough of Bauer to hope he would only be a squad player.

Questionable whether he would displace Williams and Mulgrew.

27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

For me it doesn't quite stick. If Mowbray thinks he's good enough to sign for the club he should going straight into an eleven that's conceded loads of goals. He has all pre-season to prove to Mowbray that he's a good signing. The fact he won't walk into that awful defence is a worry for me.

• Like 3

Just now, philipl said:

I saw enough of Bauer to hope he would only be a squad player.

Questionable whether he would displace Williams and Mulgrew.

Bit of a waste of 2 years then. We need at least one defender to replace Mulgrew.

This talk of “one for the future” that we keep hearing is getting tiresome. It’s one thing expecting fans to be patient, but players, agents, other clubs? When our better players start to come of age they will leave well before Mowbray’s project matures.

• Like 1

Just now, Blueandwhitemike said:

It's one way of reading it.  Another is that Mowbray would have liked him but he's planning on signing another CB anyway and one that is hopefully better.  I imagine that without giving guarantees he's given Downing the impression he will, depending on form, play quite a bit but wasn't quite positive with Bauer.  That makes more sense to me, I don't think it is quite as black and white.  Of course Preston may have valued him more highly and offered him a little more money.

Not sure how else you can read his actual comments.

I sincerely hope you are right though and Bauer has just been a long term stalking m-horse for a better defender who can slot into the first team. History doesn’t back that up though.

Any player coming in is likely to be behind the existing players until Mowbray thinks they are worthy. Sadly, as we saw with Rothwell, that could be after it no longer impacts the season.

Mowbray promised defenders.  The only link has been to Bauer.  Either we have better targets lined up or we don't and the same defence and keeper starts the season.   I have no idea what to believe these days. 

If he doesn't address the defence though by the end of the window, he clearly will not take us anywhere.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He's often spoken about players character , maybe this is one of the way he judges that , tell them they are not an auto pick , If they have a desire and the will to earn a place in the side they get his vote of approval if they are not up for the fight of getting in the team will they be up for a fight to get into play offs ? To avoid relegation ?