BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

This is absolute madness. How are we ever going to persuade anyone half decent to join us if the deal is they're only going to be a squad player?

And if the players any new targets apparently are going to be behind are so bloody good, how come we only finished 15th in the Championship last season?

The more I hear from Mowbray, the less I like what I hear and the less I respect his point of view. His only concern appears to be protecting the interests of the players already here and he appears to have zero interest in actually trying to improve the starting eleven.

• Like 3

In actual transfer news, Hanley could be next in, a mate  who knows him says he was in talks yesterday with the Club.

Guess it will depend on whether they can agree on wages. Think he would be a good signing IF he was being brought in to go straight  into the starting eleven. Not sure I'd want him on largish wages sat on the sidelines.

• Like 6

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

In actual transfer news, Hanley could be next in, a mate  who knows him says he was in talks yesterday with the Club.

Guess it will depend on whether they can agree on wages. Think he would be a good signing IF he was being brought in to go straight  into the starting eleven. Not sure I'd want him on largish wages sat on the sidelines.

Would be a lot more of an improvement that Bauer imo - Plus the added bonus of he shouldn’t need any time to settle (back into the RV pubs... :) ) 

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

This is absolute madness. How are we ever going to persuade anyone half decent to join us if the deal is they're only going to be a squad player?

And if the players any new targets apparently are going to be behind are so bloody good, how come we only finished 15th in the Championship last season?

The more I hear from Mowbray, the less I like what I hear and the less I respect his point of view. His only concern appears to be protecting the interests of the players already here and he appears to have zero interest in actually trying to improve the starting eleven.

Agreed. The first centre back who walks through that door (arguably both if we sign two) HAS to be seen as ahead of Mulgrew in the pecking order, despite his position as captain, and Williams. If they're not, there is zero point in signing them.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Hanley and Lenihan is exactly what we need. Darragh’s mobility combined with an actual no nonsense head it/kick it type.

I'm not completely convinced. Darragh is fairly no-nonsense. Our defence needs a rough CB sure, but for me that player also needs to be an intelligent, disciplined organiser. A fuckton of our goals have come from poor positional play. Last I saw Hanley for us, I considered him reckless, a criticism that has been levelled at Lenihan. He was learning better when to commit and when not, compared to previous seasons, so maybe he has matured on that front. But I wouldn't want to see us line up with two rash CBs. You can only really afford one.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Just catching up on the last few pages and I thought I'd give my tuppence worth:

Some people think others are hysterical vs. some people think they have legitimate concerns

Some people are too harsh on Mowbray vs. some people won't accept any criticism whatsoever of him.

Some people think we overpaid for Brereton vs. some people that think he's an investment for the future.

Some people think Mowbray is too loyal to a lot of players vs. some people don't.

Some people eat meat vs some people don't.

(Okay, the last one was a bit silly, but you get the idea).

Point is, people have different opinions, if we all accepted people thought differently and didn't make the point they were right and they couldn't understand why others didn't think everyone else didn't think exactly like them, we'd get on a lot better on here. 

Edited by K-Hod

They both have faults bluebruce, neither are PL quality as a result. Are we really going to get better than Hanley? I’d have him over the likes of Bauer any day of the week.

Edited by Mattyblue

Very worrying that we’re wasting 2 years tracking someone who they think wouldn’t even get in the first team. 

How else can we improve without signing better players than we already have?

Why let Downing go if we’re just going to sign another squad CB?

I can see it coming already, the team starting against Charlton is going to be the League One team AGAIN.

• Like 3

Seems to be at odds with Mowbray's plans for the window which he broadcast earlier on this summer. He claimed to be after new players good enough to start immediately and replace those who had struggled last season.

Strange 

• Like 2

Just now, OJRovers said:

I can see it coming already, the team starting against Charlton is going to be the League One team AGAIN.

I never really expected anything different to be honest.

But, let's see what happens over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Seems to be at odds with Mowbray's plans for the window which he broadcast earlier on this summer. He claimed to be after new players good enough to start immediately and replace those who had struggled last season.

Strange 

This is where my frustration lies.

He said all the right things and it seemed that he had a plan in place for the summer to improve the starting 11. 

I'm not convinced Downing will be a player who will be starting every week and we were chasing a reserve centre back for a year or so.

We can only wait and see what has happened by the end of the window but frustrating start as far as I am concerned.

Signing Hanley would definitely diffuse some of the angst around here (myself included).

We need a championship quality CB to come in and Hanley has been signed by teams that have won this league twice in 3 years and was formidable and POTY at us 4 seasons ago.

Raya

Nyambe - Lenihan - Hanley - Bell

Travis - Downing 

Armstrong   -   Dack   -    Rothwell

Graham

Subs: GK, Mulgrew, Evans, Davenport, Bennett, Brereton, Butterworth.

Glaring issue is Bennett 100% starts in the team with TM in charge and will do at the expense of either Nyambe, Travis or Rothwell. ?

If Hanley is a loan I want to see some money spent on CM as we need options beyond Evans and especially Smallwood.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 2

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Signing Hanley would definitely diffuse some of the angst around here (myself included).

We need a championship quality CB to come in and Hanley has been signed by teams that have won this league twice in 3 years and was formidable and POTY at us 4 seasons ago.

Raya

Nyambe - Lenihan - Hanley - Bell

Travis - Downing 

Armstrong   -   Dack   -    Rothwell

Graham

Subs: GK, Mulgrew, Evans, Davenport, Bennett, Brereton, Butterworth.

Glaring issue is Bennett 100% starts in the team with TM in charge and will do at the expense of either Nyambe, Travis or Rothwell. ?

If Hanley is a loan I want to see some money spent on CM as we need options beyond Evans and especially Smallwood.

Swap Nyambe for Bennett & Travis for Evans and I think that will be the side that starts against Charlton if Hanley comes in.

Williams & Chapman on the bench instead of Davenport and Butterworth.

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Mahoney set to sign for Millwall on a permanent. Can't help but think we've missed out on a player who'd walk into our team.

Not a player I have rated at all , I was amazed he went to a Premier League club !

‘I’ve followed you for two years - you’re a fantastic player. You’ll start behind Lenihan, Mulgrew and Del Williams as our 4th CB in a team which shipped the most away goals in the football league’.

No wonder he opted for the Nobbers is it.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

It’s a fair cop re: Bauer.

I really wanted to see evidence Tony still wanted to sign him because I couldn’t countenance A, us losing out to PNE, and B, the fact we’d chased a lad for so long that I didn’t really think was worth it at all.

Have to hold my hands up there. 

Still hopefully won’t lose any sleep over it, assuming we bring someone in better or especially if big Grant comes back.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, benhben said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17729706.rovers-boss-on-missing-out-on-patrick-bauer-to-preston/

This basically says Bauer went to Preston because Mowbray told him he would start behind Williams in the pecking order........

I can understand where he is coming from. In an ideal world, players we sign shouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot and should come in and fight for a place in the starting 11.

However, this isn't an ideal world. We are basically a defensive shambles.

The challenge for a starting place shouldn't be thrown down to new signings but to the defenders already here, who have largely failed last season.

Of course Tony may be covering up his or the club's failings by claiming that the issue was not offering Bauer guaranteed game time. That excuse is the most palatable to concerned supporters who will prefer to believe this line rather than the uncomfortable truth.

The alternative is of course that Preston gazumped us by virtue of being better organised and prepared, could sell themselves more or could pay him more, or indeed just actually offered him a proper contract rather than messing around.

• Like 2

Just now, davulsukur said:

I can understand where he is coming from. In an ideal world, players we sign shouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot and should come in and fight for a place in the starting 11.

However, this isn't an ideal world. We are basically a defensive shambles.

The challenge for a starting place shouldn't be thrown down to new signings but to the defenders already here, who have largely failed last season.

Your first sentence is absolutely correct but telling a player he will have to play his way into the team is nonsense from Mowbray. Everybody should start the same and it's how they shape up in pre season and friendlies which should determine who starts the season.

It's just more garbage from Mowbray who is rapidly dousing any hopes I had after his big talk at the end of the season.

And didn't Mowbray say to people at the end of the Supporters Consultation Meeting that Bauer wanted between £40 & £50k a week? Then he speaks to him in the summer about signing for us.

It looks like Mowbrays halo is slipping.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 4

Downing cannot start central midfield. It just cant happen, it's more important to be mobile than a good player playing CM in this league. Play Davenport and Travis or sign someone better. 

In other news, I've just driven past Rios in Whalley, who have a "WELCOME HOME GRANT" banner outside.

• Like 6

Hahahah this is mad. So it turns out that the manager has been tracking a league 1 defender who he rates but is asking to fight and be at his very best to get into our team....and he’s criticised for it!?

The fact that Preston gave (League 1 defender) Bauer the keys to the bloody city and that Bauer wasn’t prepared to back his own ability and needed his ego massaging to get the deal done says more about Preston and Bauer in my opinion!! 

• Like 2