BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I'm still believing what I heard that they put in the graft to get him whilst Rovers just remained 'interested'.  Not sure i'd have been impressed if we had to offer about ten grand per week more just to lure him here instead of Preston that doesn't bode well.

However neither does TMs pork pies about 50k pwk !!!

Most worrying thing is it sounding like he was told he'd be coming in as back up not to earn a place in the team from the off like he'll get the chance to do at PNE. 

Verdict - They've tried to do it cheaply a few times because they are only interested yet again in back ups and back ups for back ups because he has his favs already to keep faith in again. Somewhere along the line they've lost interest because he's got side tracked with chasing/funding the Downing 'capture'.

Worry not though defenders are coming.....

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Hahahah this is mad. So it turns out that the manager has been tracking a league 1 defender who he rates but is asking to fight and be at his very best to get into our team....and he’s criticised for it!?

The fact that Preston gave (League 1 defender) Bauer the keys to the bloody city and that Bauer wasn’t prepared to back his own ability and needed his ego massaging to get the deal done says more about Preston and Bauer in my opinion!! 

On the other hand if I saw Williams and Mulgrew play last year and was told by the Manager I would have to wait to start ahead of him Id tell them to jog on...

• Like 3

Just now, J*B said:

Downing cannot start central midfield. It just cant happen, it's more important to be mobile than a good player playing CM in this league. Play Davenport and Travis or sign someone better. 

In other news, I've just driven past Rios in Whalley, who have a "WELCOME HOME GRANT" banner outside.

Funnily enough the Warhorse on Buckshaw, The Ley Inn in C-L-W, Dantes on Preston Road and several Preston nightclubs have all been reported as getting similar banners ready...

Just now, benhben said:

On the other hand if I saw Williams and Mulgrew play last year and was told by the Manager I would have to wait to start ahead of him Id tell them to jog on...

Come on mate, jokes aside...the guy has been playing in League 1. There’s no evidence that he can make the grade in the Championship? The manager was absolutely right to make him fight for his place imo. 

Looks like Hanley is likely now. There’s no comparison between these two signings.

Hahahah this is mad. So it turns out that the manager has been tracking a league 1 defender who he rates but is asking to fight and be at his very best to get into our team....and he’s criticised for it!?

The fact that Preston gave (League 1 defender) Bauer the keys to the bloody city and that Bauer wasn’t prepared to back his own ability and needed his ego massaging to get the deal done says more about Preston and Bauer in my opinion!! 

Any decent centre half will feel insulted if he is told he is going to be starting behind Derrick Williams in the pecking order.

• Like 1

Just now, J*B said:

Downing cannot start central midfield. It just cant happen, it's more important to be mobile than a good player playing CM in this league. Play Davenport and Travis or sign someone better. 

In other news, I've just driven past Rios in Whalley, who have a "WELCOME HOME GRANT" banner outside.

He played most of his 38 appearances for Boro as CM player last year.  I feel like people forget about Tugay and how mobile was he ?

I am very happy with the signing just hope he isn't a flop like Peter Whittingham

What is mad is chasing a player for 12 months but not having the courage of your convictions to clinch the deal. If you're after a player, make sure it's someone you really want and have confidence in your judgement and be prepared to pay what is necessary to get the deal over the line.

Don't fanny about half heartedly for 12 months fluttering your eyelashes at a player you don't really want simply because there's a slight chance you might land him on the cheap.

• Like 4

Just now, ewoodnews said:

He played most of his 38 appearances for Boro as CM player last year.  I feel like people forget about Tugay and how mobile was he ?

I am very happy with the signing just hope he isn't a flop like Peter Whittingham

Nonsense.

SmartSelect_20190626-094629_Chrome.jpg

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

What is mad is chasing a player for 12 months but not having the courage of your convictions to clinch the deal. If you're after a player, make sure it's someone you really want and have confidence in your judgement and be prepared to pay what is necessary to get the deal over the line.

Don't fanny about half heartedly for 12 months fluttering your eyelashes at a player you don't really want simply because there's a slight chance you might land him on the cheap.

Or you tell him the truth that he might not start and then you don't have a player having expectation of starting every week.  Just like in every job people move, get sold the earth and then become annoyed at what was promised.

Personally he has little Championship experience and was demanding a lot of money so I think it is important to know when to say no thank you! 

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Your first sentence is absolutely correct but telling a player he will have to play his way into the team is nonsense from Mowbray. Everybody should start the same and it's how they shape up in pre season and friendlies which should determine who starts the season.

Bang on. "You're all on a level playing field - now go and make the shirt your own". Not "you're behind Del WIlliams in the pecking order" FFS.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

Just now, J*B said:

Nonsense.

SmartSelect_20190626-094629_Chrome.jpg

I work with about 10 or 15 Boro Season Ticket holders and they said a lot of the time he played in CM.

How often do BBC, Sky and god knows how many other platforms state the wrong formation or have the wrong player in a certain position.

It does seem that TM telling him that he'll be a squaddy to begin with has cost us this one. Can't disagree with those saying either 1) he's not good enough to start so why chase him or 2) TM's approach has meant he's gone to PNE.

All I'd say though is that he's used exactly the same approach for other players, Armstrong, Chapman etc. and they couldn't wait to get back here. I'd also hope that if he was going to be behind others to begin with then he wouldn't be the only centre half joining us this summer

Sounds like Mowbray wanted him as backup to Lenihan as right CB. Which is worrying, we desperately need a partner for him.

We should be looking to improve the starting 11 especially the back 4, not improve the 4th choice cb option.

I've warmed to the downing signing a bit but i'm pretty confident he wont be at centre mid for us. I see him starting out wide or as the back up to Dack as a 10.

I'm hoping a few of the younger lads really stake a claim on the pre-season tour especially Buckley, Rankin-Costollo or Lyons. Could save us some money as we seem to be in the market for another centre mid, and hopefully we can use that saved money to get defensive reinforcements. But thats more likely to be a dream than a reality.

58 minutes ago, renrag said:

Mercer did for one

Then he's one! I actually think I remember him posting that.

2 points: its a view he's entitled to take.

One person's view should not become a stick with which to beat the MB in general

9 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

See for me there’s nothing to be jealous of with the Stoke announcement. 

Only one of those players makes our starting eleven. Powell never fit, Cousins is an awful signing, Gregory ageing and no better than Graham and Davies no more proven than Raya.

People look at Stoke announcing 5 lads at once and think, woah! But besides Lindsay, there’s nothing to be envious of there at all. 

I’d rather give Butterworth and Buckley more game time than be wasting a wage on free transfers like Powell and Gregory who won’t push a team any further than 12th.

The main thing about it is the clarity of how they are working, Jones mentioned that they have been working on these deals for months, and to announce all 5 ahead of pre season is exactly how in an ideal world business would be done. Would it be realistic to expect us to have 5 signings ready and waiting for pre season? No. But the point is that Mowbray, even with safety secured, has only recently discovered his budget having had to wait to fly to India, so it puts us at a disadvantage.

In terms of individuals, Powell in particular is a bargain, he will get them goals and assists, in terms of him coming here obviously we have a number 10 as good as the majority in the league but Powell is still a very good player. Davies was brilliant for Barnsley and would walk into our side, as of course would Lindsay. Gregory would have offered far more credible competition for Graham. Cousins I agree is not very good.

I think a position that needs strengthening is RB and have someone who can teach the position to Nyambe better.  I like him when I see him but he needs to improve a lot of areas of his game!  RB would also allow to play Bennett further up the pitch with the energy he has.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Sounds like Mowbray wanted him as backup to Lenihan as right CB. Which is worrying, we desperately need a partner for him.

We should be looking to improve the starting 11 especially the back 4, not improve the 4th choice cb option.

I've warmed to the downing signing a bit but i'm pretty confident he wont be at centre mid for us. I see him starting out wide or as the back up to Dack as a 10.

I'm hoping a few of the younger lads really stake a claim on the pre-season tour especially Buckley, Rankin-Costollo or Lyons. Could save us some money as we seem to be in the market for another centre mid, and hopefully we can use that saved money to get defensive reinforcements. But thats more likely to be a dream than a reality.

I’d say we need to do both.

If Lenihan is injured (he will be at some point) we need someone to take his place.

Just now, ewoodnews said:

Or you tell him the truth that he might not start and then you don't have a player having expectation of starting every week.  Just like in every job people move, get sold the earth and then become annoyed at what was promised.

Personally he has little Championship experience and was demanding a lot of money so I think it is important to know when to say no thank you! 

If he was demanding a lot of money, he wouldn't have gone to Preston

• Like 2

Come on mate, jokes aside...the guy has been playing in League 1. There’s no evidence that he can make the grade in the Championship? 

There's absolutely no evidence he can't either but as a free agent he represents a relatively cheap gamble.

I'd be pleased with Hanley coming in if it happens but Bauer on a permanent deal sounds better than Hanley on loan to me. Even if his return  were to be a success we'd be back to square one in 12 months time. 

If Hanley was being lined up permanently I'd be far happier.

• Like 2

Some good might come out of missing Bauer as with the egg it should have left on his chin Mowbray might now be double determined to get someone decent in and prove it ok to let that one slide. 

There’s no suggestion we were fannyong about or offered less money. Mowbray obviously liked him but ultimately having spent is career in League one it would take one hell of a desperate championship club to offer him a starring role!? 

Mid asking him to fight for his position such a bad thing? 

Mowbrays comments about telling Bauer he might not come into the team worry me simply because they IMO point to Mowbray being reluctant to dislodge the likes of Williams and Mulgrew, I suspect them 2, Bell and Bennett will play fairly regularly in our defence this season and if thats the case we simply will continue to leak goals. If them comments are because he planned to always sign another centre back then fair enough. A lack of ruthlessness continues to be his achilles heel.

Also would much prefer Armstrong, Rothwell and Chapman over Mahoney.

There’s no suggestion we were fannyong about or offered less money. Mowbray obviously liked him but ultimately having spent is career in League one it would take one hell of a desperate championship club to offer him a starring role!? 

Mid asking him to fight for his position such a bad thing? 

If he isnt capable of dislodging Mulgrew or Williams then why has he even been chasing him? We need to sign players who can come straight into the team and the defence. Lets see if he can be ruthless with the defence as he must.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, philipl said:

I saw enough of Bauer to hope he would only be a squad player.

Questionable whether he would displace Williams and Mulgrew.

Then why has Mowbray monitored and chased for nigh on two years!?!

Our defence is appalling and it says everything about Mowbray when he is looking to sign squad players.

I think the lad has made the right decision going to Preston.  Neil will take him to another level and I think we will long rue Mowbray's inability to work the market.

After Mowbray's comments at Blues about signing players who will come in and make a difference, it only confirms suspicions.  I think Mowbray is full of bullsh1t and we are going nowhere with this man.

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Also would much prefer Armstrong, Rothwell and Chapman over Mahoney.

I was gutted when Mahoney left, but I agree that if we signed him now, he would behind Rothwell and Armstrong at the very least.

I didn't blame him one bit for leaving, easy to forget just how much of an empty vessel of a club we seemed for most of our relegation season. In retrospect though, there's no doubt at all that his career would've benefited staying with us in L1 and playing every week.