BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

31 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Not happy with that personally. Too many questions and concerns. GK position unchanged. Question marks at full back. Still reliant on Dack and Graham. Question marks on Chapman, Rothwell, Davenport, Butterworth and Brereton in terms of capacity and capability to play regular Championship football.

Essentially weaker than last season without Reed and an older Graham. 

As I said, it is where we are currently. We need signings. 

The weaker that last season line isn't necessarily true as it doesn't factor in young players becoming better. If you are going to say we are weaker because Graham is older(which in itself is speculation as he could be the same, or even better) then you can't ignore young players improving. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

As I said, it is where we are currently. We need signings. 

The weaker that last season line isn't necessarily true as it doesn't factor in young players becoming better. If you are going to say we are weaker because Graham is older(which in itself is speculation as he could be the same, or even better) then you can't ignore young players improving. 

Going into a season assuming or hoping that youngsters are going to step up, improve and perform at this level is a big ask, especially when we're talking about 4-5 of them in Chapman, Davenport, Brereton and the u23s who between them have so far done very little at Championship level.

On the other hand Graham is getting on and I think it is inevitable that sooner or later his body will start to break down and it would be extremely foolish to try and depend wholly upon him.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Magloire? He cant head a ball, he is nowhere near ready. Williams ended the season playing well although we certainly need one or two to dislodge him going forward.

Armstrong ended the season well playing on his better side, wide right, and Davenport would be in there for Downing who isnt a central midfielder, not in a 2 like that.

Agree with the majority of this, surely if any CB is ready to step up its Wharton he was decent for Bury last season. He would seem to be a more logical choice, we have a real dearth of quality at the back, I fear TM will try and muddle through without addressing it sufficiently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nasty! 

Not nasty. Just a fact. All this honour bullcrap. It's not like he's doing it for free. I do my job and do it well but I don't think I'm doing through honour, just doing what I get paid for

• Like 1

Just now, roverandout said:

Not nasty. Just a fact. All this honour bullcrap. It's not like he's doing it for free. I do my job and do it well but I don't think I'm doing through honour, just doing what I get paid for

I know where you are coming from.

Mowbray plays his audience well and should be already on the after-dinner speech circuit.

He tells people what they want to hear, always works.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Yeah I think that Williams was a revelation playing as a left-sided centre-back. He should be playing there, either in a three and starting, or as a replacement for someone else in a four.

You've got 10 outfield places in the championship and you would give one to Del?  Such short short memories.....they guy is so poor, ok his average last 4 or 5 games looked better given his atrocious play for the other 40-odd games....there are 9 teams with parachute payments this season who will all have quality forwards, we need to progress and that means no more Del, Bennet, Smallwood and maybe Raya 

This thread is getting to be a bit of a leviathan, so apologies if already posted:

Linked with Jack Payne on a free

To be honest...I'd probably take that if wages were low, as a cheap Dack backup. Not a priority position obviously, but if it didn't have much effect on our budget and wasn't counted as one of the 'up to 5' TM has said we want to bring in, I don't see much reason not to. He'd barely play, mind, as I don't think TM would wedge him onto the wing much, and Dack is both our key man and rarely injured. But I don't see anybody else playing that linking role very naturally. We just have players we could force in there.

Still got years left in him at 24, and did the business in a PL promotion winning Hudds team a few years back. If it's cheap it's low risk. Good technical ability. Maybe he would fit a potential revised playing system better too. Thought he didn't get as much game time as he merited last time here.

Edited by bluebruce

There are 3 international competitions currently in full flow (Copa America, African Nations Cup, CONCACAF Gold Cup), as well as the women's World Cup. I have no interest in any of them.

Coupled with Rovers bargain bin transfer antics makes this one underwhelming summer.

As has already been discussed Mowbray will not have his transfer business done early.

Whether Rovers bring in loans or permanent signings they won't happen until after the Prem teams get back from their money spinning pre season tours. Those Managers will use their summer to assess who they want to keep and who gets farmed out. Once they decide that the horse trading will begin.

Edited by speeeeeeedie
  • Like 1

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Based on what?

The players we have signed over the past 12 months?

The fact he is an established international?

Looking at his past club and current club and taking an educated guess that he will be on more money than our highest earner?

The fact that he would be told that he would have to get past the likes of Bennett, Smallwood, Evans, Williams or Mulgrew to get a place in the side?

The other clubs he appears to be linked with?

Edited by MarkBRFC

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Magloire? He cant head a ball, he is nowhere near ready.

No evidence of that whatsoever. It was a Magloire header which set up the penalty against Wigan in that game he played at Ewood.

Magloire is a 20 year old centre-back who captains the 6th best youth side in the country, what makes him any worse than Cameron Humphreys-Grant, George Johnston or Julio Pleguezuelo at City, Liverpool and Arsenal? Absolutely nothing. But those three players are seen as amazing prospects because they happen to play for big clubs.

Because you can guarantee if we signed some Manchester United 20 year-old centre-back on loan a lot of people would think, yeah he's a good signing. Not taking into consideration we're an entire league above them at youth level.

1 hour ago, PeteJD13 said:

Agree with the majority of this, surely if any CB is ready to step up its Wharton he was decent for Bury last season. He would seem to be a more logical choice, we have a real dearth of quality at the back, I fear TM will try and muddle through without addressing it sufficiently.

I spoke to a pal who's a season ticket holder at Bury about Wharton and he said the general consensus was that he wasn't up to much. That surprised me in honesty, because like yourself, I was looking for him to step up to the mark next season.

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

The players we have signed over the past 12 months?

The fact he is an established international?

Looking at his past club and current club and taking an educated guess that he will be on more money than our highest earner?

The fact that he would be told that he would have to get past the likes of Bennett, Smallwood, Evans, Williams or Mulgrew to get a place in the side?

The other clubs he appears to be linked with?

We have signed players that are established at youth level internationally. We have signed Stewart Downing and last season had Jack Rodwell. In terms of internationals we are probably on par with other clubs with how many established internationals we have.

I'd say the fact that Mulgrew/Smallwood got dropped at the end of the season and Mowbray has himself indicated we need new defenders it doesn't mean much. Bennett doesn't even play in his position......

Paddy McNair isn't a fantasy signing at all. He's barely played over the past few seasons and clearly isn't fancied at his current club. As for the wages I can't see a guy that is yet to play 20+ games in a season can even begin to command a wage that breaks our structure.

Edited by Dreams of 1995

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

No evidence of that whatsoever. It was a Magloire header which set up the penalty against Wigan in that game he played at Ewood.

Magloire is a 20 year old centre-back who captains the 6th best youth side in the country, what makes him any worse than Cameron Humphreys-Grant, George Johnston or Julio Pleguezuelo at City, Liverpool and Arsenal? Absolutely nothing. But those three players are seen as amazing prospects because they happen to play for big clubs.

Because you can guarantee if we signed some Manchester United 20 year-old centre-back on loan a lot of people would think, yeah he's a good signing. Not taking into consideration we're an entire league above them at youth level.

There was plenty of evidence that Magloire struggled in the air during the 2 games that he played in, he failed to win a fair few defensive headers. Also whilst Magloire played well against a very poor Wigan side he had a bit of a horror show against Sheffield Wednesday which showed he has a long way to go before he is ready for this. And Mowbray must have the same as he didn't appear for the first team again last season. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 5

All this talk about starting elevens for next season and trying players in different positions out of the existing personnel reminds me of shuffling deckchairs around on the Titanic.

We need quality injecting into our starting eleven, not 35 year old   squad fillers or "ones for the future" who are then subsequently never given a chance on account of their age.

Bare minimum of a centre half, central midfielder and main striker for me otherwise we will be relegation fodder. Shuffling players about in the hope that they'll perform better in an unaccustomed role than in their normal positions where they've been under performing won't hack it nor will the manager bemoaning how difficult it is to sign players which we had to put up with all last summer.

I think the talk that the criticism the manager is getting is unfair is unfair in itself. No-one is saying he's a bad person but his job is to improve and move the team forward which he has patently failed to do over the last 12 months imo. We're not significantly better than two seasons ago when we were due to start the League 1 campaign imo. 

That's what he's being judged on.

• Like 8

Just now, blue_n_white99 said:

Frank Fielding has joined Millwall.

Where's that blooming OssyLad, said he was coming, only joking OL. Glad he's not, poor keeper.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

All this talk about starting elevens for next season and trying players in different positions out of the existing personnel reminds me of shuffling deckchairs around on the Titanic.

We need quality injecting into our starting eleven, not 35 year old   squad fillers or "ones for the future" who are then subsequently never given a chance on account of their age.

Bare minimum of a centre half, central midfielder and main striker for me otherwise we will be relegation fodder. Shuffling players about in the hope that they'll perform better in an unaccustomed role than in their normal positions where they've been under performing won't hack it nor will the manager bemoaning how difficult it is to sign players which we had to put up with all last summer.

I think the talk that the criticism the manager is getting is unfair is unfair in itself. No-one is saying he's a bad person but his job is to improve and move the team forward which he has patently failed to do over the last 12 months imo. We're not significantly better than two seasons ago when we were due to start the League 1 campaign imo. 

That's what he's being judged on.

Deja transfer window Venky vu!