BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

17 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Assombalonga, Downing, McNair, Chapman, Smallwood, Adam Clayton. Players Mowbray has signed or we have been strongly linked too... He quacking loves Middlesbrough doesn't he!!

Is there anyone else at Boro who we can want? Gestede? Flint? Ayala? Friend? Randolph? 

Think bigger Tony!

Wouldn’t mind Flint and Ayala. Big 6ft Footers!

if only Gestede was the player a few years ago. Shame how it’s turned out for him. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Assombalonga, Downing, McNair, Chapman, Smallwood, Adam Clayton. Players Mowbray has signed or we have been strongly linked too... He quacking loves Middlesbrough doesn't he!!

Is there anyone else at Boro who we can want? Gestede? Flint? Ayala? Friend? Randolph? 

Think bigger Tony!

Or back to his all conquering Cov 15-16 side. One will be linked soon I’m sure. 

23 hours ago, OssyLad said:

Did anyone actually see Bauer play in play offs? He was terrible apart from the goal in final. He’s no better than we’ve got. I’m glad we didn’t sign him, Mowbray knows what he’s doing, trust him!

I keep repeating myself on this but he was being lauded by Charlton fans most of the season. His wife then gave birth about 4 hours before the play-off 2nd leg and he still played. However he was poor in that game, and not great in the final.

If you're judging him purely on the plays offs  it's worth noting the charlton fans all said he was poor in those games but excused him because of the circumstances. There's many players wouldn't have played that semi final game.

The pages of Bauer-induced Mowbray-bashing miss one crucial aspect: when he was being chased in prior windows, we had two picked if fit CBs in Mulgrew and Lenihan, therefore Bauer was being pursued as a better 3rd CB than Downing or Williams, which sounds about his level.

Fast-forward to this window where Charlie has imploded and lost his place to basically anyone. So we are after a picked if fit starter which Bauer isn’t. If he had come he would’ve been fighting Mulgrew for the 3rd spot, which I’m not sure we really need. 

So, thanks to Mulgrew’s rapid and unexpected demise, our needs changed between windows, and Bauer doesn’t meet those needs. 

• Like 3

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

The pages of Bauer-induced Mowbray-bashing miss one crucial aspect: when he was being chased in prior windows, we had two picked if fit CBs in Mulgrew and Lenihan, therefore Bauer was being pursued as a better 3rd CB than Downing or Williams, which sounds about his level.

Fast-forward to this window where Charlie has imploded and lost his place to basically anyone. So we are after a picked if fit starter which Bauer isn’t. If he had come he would’ve been fighting Mulgrew for the 3rd spot, which I’m not sure we really need. 

So, thanks to Mulgrew’s rapid and unexpected demise, our needs changed between windows, and Bauer doesn’t meet those needs. 

I’m not sure I get your point. While Bauer was fighting it out with Mulgrew for third place, who was on the pitch partnering Lenihan?

Personally I think a lot of people are desperate to talk down Bauer, while at the same time not criticise Mowbray for trying to sign him. 

• Like 4

Just now, Stuart said:

I’m not sure I get your point. While Bauer was fighting it out with Mulgrew for third place, who was on the pitch partnering Lenihan?

Personally I think a lot of people are desperate to talk down Bauer, while at the same time not criticise Mowbray for trying to sign him. 

Someone better than Bauer who we haven’t bought yet. When we were chasing Bauer we weren’t trying to replace Mulgrew; now we are and Bauer isn’t it.

• Like 1

One rather large flaw in your theory and that is that Mowbray has already said that we did try to sign Bauer.

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

One rather large flaw in your theory and that is that Mowbray has already said that we did try to sign Bauer.

....to fight it out and maybe earn a spot. He was always a back up IMO, now we have less of a need for a back up and a much greater need for a starter. Which is probably why we didn’t move heaven and earth to sign him.

Someone better than Bauer who we haven’t bought yet. When we were chasing Bauer we weren’t trying to replace Mulgrew; now we are and Bauer isn’t it.

So why has Mowbray wasted time in talks this Summer with Bauer when he should have been speaking to that better defender?

• Like 1

....to fight it out and maybe earn a spot. He was always a back up IMO, now we have less of a need for a back up and a much greater need for a starter. Which is probably why we didn’t move heaven and earth to sign him.

So which is it we wanted to sign him 'to fight it out and maybe earn a spot' or 'our needs changed between windows, and Bauer doesn’t meet those needs'?

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray in good players cost money shock!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17732435.mowbray-on-where-rovers-stand-in-terms-of-transfer-deals/

He also hints at players leaving to start the ball rolling. Wonder if we will have to make a sale before we can buy?

Is he playing his cards close to his chest or is their no money for new transfers without losing Dack or Lenihan? (Can’t think of another player who would be of interest to other clubs unless Nyambe has turned heads now that he is a full international).

Predictable stuff.  In fact, I think it's Mowbray's usual bullsh1t.  Depressing stuff this thread.

On 25/06/2019 at 14:55, MarkBRFC said:
8 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Raya

Bronze Houghton Lenihan Bell

Travis Walsh

Parris Dack Rothwell 

White

Houghton definitely at the heart of the Back 4 with Lenihan, based on tonight's display!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

My expectation is that the money men, having agreed to no sales in the last two windows, are now hoping or expecting a sale or two to keep things ticking over. Naturally we then look at who out of our bunch would attract serious interest and cash and we're down to a couple.

The cornerstone of Mowbray's tenure as manager has been an obsession with increasing player values ahead of hypothetical future sales. It is clear that is the vision he has sold to the owners or they have instructed him to follow. 

Some might say that's a good policy to have, and I agree insofar as recruiting sensibly and ensuring value in the squad, but not if that comes before getting the best players for the job or development of assets comes before results on the pitch. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Mowbray had gone to India hoping for a pat on the back and a chequebook to build again only to meet owners reluctant to stump up another 5 or 10 million without a sale or two to plug the shortfall over the last few years.

They'll be expecting a sale or two sooner or later to offset their losses, so why wouldn't it be this summer?

Mowbray isn't going to kick up a fuss because he's in a good position on a good number so will do as instructed from above.

There was an article in the LT a week or two ago stating the aim was no major sales of the likes of Lenihan or Dack and 5 in. Downing has come in since then so that's 4 to go according to the stated objective.

I don't necessarily believe the owners are the problem in terms of landing players, Mowbray wasn't wanting for support when he lashed out 7m on a player he then barely used last summer, nor when he bid 4m for Freeman, nor in January when I was told there was a very substantial fund available if the manager wanted it.

TM has also said in the past that far from having to beg for money he's had to try and keep the owners in check, so is the reason we seem to have difficulty in landing players more down to the fact the manager doesn't really want to bring in anyone new  and upset the core group as per his comment in the article Stuart posted that "the most important thing is to work hard with the players you've got".

Of course, if we're no nearer promotion after 3 seasons in the Championship, then FFP will probably dictate that players have to be sold to avoid going into embargo but in the meantime for the next 2 seasons you'd like to think we'd have a bit of a go and not just sleepwalk into FFP whilst rambling on about long term plans and gradual improvement etc etc.

• Like 4

Cant say ill be disappointed after the window shuts, i know what will happen, you all do on here really, just accept it, its easier. Also please dont try and make out, when we sign a couple of dollopers at the end of the window, after spending all the budget on a panic buy, that its been a great window, just winds people up.

Edited by AAK

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but I don't remember Jason Lowe being linked with any moves at all, let alone for 5 million? There was a distinct lack of interest in him despite how a small handful of fans used to praise him. Glad nobody lauds him anymore. That small handful were probably the type that have to defend absolutely everything the club is doing.

...and who was that? Thenodrog? Lowe has absolutely zero to offer as a spectator attraction. He's about as appealing to watch as a marathon of mass euthanasia documentaries. Everywhere he goes misery isn't far away.

• Like 2

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Who says he isn't? What if talks with an unknown player aren't being played out in the media? 

Doubtful but let’s see if you are right or me by signing a better defender than Mulgrew.

I hope you are right and I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I'm a little uncomfortable with the concept that we are pursuing players as 'back up' to 'maybe earn a spot'. 

As far as I'm concerned whether you are Man City or Accy Stanley every player you bring in should be with a view to that player being good enough to play in the team regularly. Clearly Man City can afford to stockpile a collection of players who will sit around doing nothing whereas lower clubs won't be able to take such risks but the principle should be the same - any player the club pursues should be seen as good enough and as a first teamer. Only when he's in the building and training does a decision then get made on who starts games.

It's a similar thing with this bizarre Brereton deal. We're supposed to believe that he was a 'project' signing and that we paid out millions of pounds on a player that was never expected to seriously contribute last season and was some sort of pet project for Mowbray or others to polish up and then presumably prove a point down the line by him being worth more than we paid.

It's all just nonsense and is unheard of at other Championship clubs. You sign players who are good enough and ready to play. Enough of this back-up, squad filler, making up the numbers or development project stuff. Just sign some players who are ready to play who are better than those already here!

If Mowbray was unconvinced about Bauer's capabilities and never saw him as a starting CB then he's wasted a lot of time and energy talking about him and pursuing him. It will also be shown to wrong if Bauer now plays every week for North End and is a central cog in a stronger defence than ours. 

I wasn't against the Downing signing given he was a regular at Boro recently but already we're seeing it - he hasn't gone to Austria with the squad so next news is he won't be ready for friendlies as he won't have had the intensive training, then next news is he'll be playing catch up fitness wise and he'll be struggling to break into the team from that point on. Seen it before.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Raya

Bronze Houghton Lenihan Bell

Travis Walsh

Parris Dack Rothwell 

White

No Jill Scott!!?

100% Demi Stokes gets into our team over Bell too and I’m not even joking ?

Just now, JHRover said:

I'm a little uncomfortable with the concept that we are pursuing players as 'back up' to 'maybe earn a spot'. 

As far as I'm concerned whether you are Man City or Accy Stanley every player you bring in should be with a view to that player being good enough to play in the team regularly. Clearly Man City can afford to stockpile a collection of players who will sit around doing nothing whereas lower clubs won't be able to take such risks but the principle should be the same - any player the club pursues should be seen as good enough and as a first teamer. Only when he's in the building and training does a decision then get made on who starts games.

It's a similar thing with this bizarre Brereton deal. We're supposed to believe that he was a 'project' signing and that we paid out millions of pounds on a player that was never expected to seriously contribute last season and was some sort of pet project for Mowbray or others to polish up and then presumably prove a point down the line by him being worth more than we paid.

It's all just nonsense and is unheard of at other Championship clubs. You sign players who are good enough and ready to play. Enough of this back-up, squad filler, making up the numbers or development project stuff. Just sign some players who are ready to play who are better than those already here!

If Mowbray was unconvinced about Bauer's capabilities and never saw him as a starting CB then he's wasted a lot of time and energy talking about him and pursuing him. It will also be shown to wrong if Bauer now plays every week for North End and is a central cog in a stronger defence than ours. 

I wasn't against the Downing signing given he was a regular at Boro recently but already we're seeing it - he hasn't gone to Austria with the squad so next news is he won't be ready for friendlies as he won't have had the intensive training, then next news is he'll be playing catch up fitness wise and he'll be struggling to break into the team from that point on. Seen it before.

Seemed to have changed his tune since Feb...

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17452974.tony-mowbray-knows-his-next-challenge-as-rovers-boss/

• Like 1