BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

As usual, the biggest concern is whether the people in charge are capable of bringing in a replacement that is at least as good the the outgoing player. IE do we trust them to bring in a keeper that is better or at least at minimum as good as Raya?

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

For me, the biggest culprits last season were Raya and Mulgrew. One or both had to go. Mulgrew is captain and there are his set piece deliveries. I am optimistic that he can improve and hopefully a new centre half being brought in will give him that kick up the backside. That leaves Raya. I mean even those now moaning that he might be sold, would you really have been happy/confident with him starting the season as number 1? I would feel much better with someone else. I like Raya though and it would be a shame if he left, but maybe he isn't prepared to be a number 2. He is far from irreplaceable. 

I like that you're moaning about the moaning, brilliantly sardonic.

It does indeed look like Raya is getting the blame for last season's woes at the back, we should've known that really given the fact he was dropped for the last four games. Who’s not to say that Williams improvement towards the end of the season was more to do with having Leutiwiler in goal as well as his move into the middle.

Like you I think Raya is very replaceable, however we're desperately in need to a commanding centre half as well in my opinion, I wouldn’t be confident of getting anywhere near the top 6 with Mulgrew and Williams being the two to choose from partnering Darragh every week. 

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think In Mowbray's eyes only!

Brentford don't pay big fees.

Agree with JHRover, would be surprised if it got to £2million.

Think Raya is being made a 'scapegoat' in order to hide Mowbray's inability or inclination to sort out our back four.  If Raya goes, can imagine Mowbray's script - 'it was good money and I felt we needed more experience in goal as David's inexperience was a factor last season'.

I think it's more severe reluctance to sort out the back line rather than inability surely he isn't that naïve.

Nyambe = Good prospect, our own so future sale profit, young so can be messed about to accommodate Bennett when there is nowhere else to start him.

Lenihen = Similar to above, developing into a decent defender, future resale profit

Mulgrew = Seems to run the dressing room

Bell = Mowbray signing to much fanfare and a fee, future sell on profit IF it works out (unlikely) but will get the Samuel treatment because Tony bought him so he'll keep faith & keep him involved good or bad.

Williams = Can play 2 positions, didn't cost much, rewarded contractually well meaning he'll stay involved, outside chance of sell on profit, Firm TM fav.

I'd suggest looking at it like that is why he'll not alter it unless or until he has to, That's his defence so it's on his head.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

• Backroom

Mulgrew is captain and there are his set piece deliveries. 

His demeanour when we concede goals is the opposite of what a captain should be, and 0 assists last season suggests his set piece deliveries aren't great. Direct and on target, sure, he scored 10 - but we barely won any games he scored in so not really worth much in the grand scheme of things. I'd certainly have Mulgrew out the door before Raya if I had the choice.

• Like 1

For me, the biggest culprits last season were Raya and Mulgrew. One or both had to go. Mulgrew is captain and there are his set piece deliveries. I am optimistic that he can improve and hopefully a new centre half being brought in will give him that kick up the backside. That leaves Raya. I mean even those now moaning that he might be sold, would you really have been happy/confident with him starting the season as number 1? I would feel much better with someone else. I like Raya though and it would be a shame if he left, but maybe he isn't prepared to be a number 2. He is far from irreplaceable. 

Well we will find out this season. If the defence continues to leak like a sieve then I'll be blaming the manager and coaching staff rather than the multitude of players through the doors. 

Mowbray's had plenty of time and cash to do what he needs to do to improve the goals against column, let's see if he does. It was our Achilles heel all last season.

Lets just say I'm not particularly optimistic given his record elsewhere of this happening.

My view is that Mowbray thinks getting a couple of million in for Raya who can be replaced by a free agent or loan will impress his bosses, bring in a bit of cash and potentially add to his budget to sign players elsewhere. 

As before the developing players to sell for profits concept is fine if selling for good money to higher clubs but selling for little to rival Championship sides does concern me.

Instead of signing 23-28 year olds. We're just going to sign five 32-38 year olds and five 16-19 year olds so the average number is bang in the middle of the twenties ;)

Also, spoke to a friend who says he's heard Jack Doyle (let go this year) might go to Bolton and they're looking to get in as many cheap deals as they can to get numbers.

• Moderation Lead

I've got a bad feeling about us potentially selling Raya. 

With some solid coaching, I think he's got the potential to really improve if he cuts out the rushes of blood to the head he's prone to (Birmingham at home). 

That being said, if we got a decent fee for him and a more experienced 'keeper in, I think we'd be alright. However, Brentford aren't big spenders.....

• Like 3

I think Williams is the weakest link.  Not so much outright glaring cock ups but his general control, passing ability etc,

forwards glide past him, he cant cut out crosses, just responsible for all sorts of criminal defending.

For me last season he was diabolical and I cant understand why the 4 dead rubbers at the end of last season have saved him.

I'm amused at the whole "Brentford dont spend money" angle therefore some assume we will sell Raya at their reduced bid and not his value.

"Hello Poch, yes, this is Brentford, we are wanting to sign Harry Kane, however we dont spent over £3m on a player... you'll take it? GREAT!"

SMH.

Replacing Raya without a better CB pairing in front will only highlight to people how much we're going to miss Raya.

The lad is 23 years old and being 'trained' by the least qualified GK coach in the football league (probably) with only 1 player who "likes to head the ball" in the back 4 ahead of him who has missed about 40 games over 2 seasons.

It will be a mistake selling him, a disgrace selling him on the cheap.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, DE. said:

His demeanour when we concede goals is the opposite of what a captain should be, and 0 assists last season suggests his set piece deliveries aren't great. Direct and on target, sure, he scored 10 - but we barely won any games he scored in so not really worth much in the grand scheme of things. I'd certainly have Mulgrew out the door before Raya if I had the choice.

Ya, I would have had him out instead of Raya too ideally. I really think Lenihan needs to be captain sooner rather than later and I can't see that happening with Mulgrew here. I think Lenihan generally plays better when he isn't partnered with Mulgrew. It allows him to take the lead and I think that is what works for him. 

2 hours ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Who was the midfielder from the MLS we were looking at last year? I liked the look of him.

It was Wil Trapp from Columbus Crew.

HARD PASS - Manager favorite for the US national team since the new gaffer took over (who previously managed the same club side Trapp is at) and has truly stunk it up in 2019.  He has not been able to step up in quality against better than MLS competition.  

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I think Williams is the weakest link.  Not so much outright glaring cock ups but his general control, passing ability etc,

forwards glide past him, he cant cut out crosses, just responsible for all sorts of criminal defending.

For me last season he was diabolical and I cant understand why the 4 dead rubbers at the end of last season have saved him.

Think Williams was poor at full back, but thought he was pretty solid at C/half.

• Like 3

Brentford are in talks with Blackburn over a deal for goalkeeper David Raya, according to Sky sources.

Sky Sports News revealed in May that the Bees were targeting the 23-year-old Spaniard with doubts over the futures of both their ‘keepers, Daniel Bentley and Luke Daniels.

Bentley, who along with Daniels had entered the final year of his Brentford contract, has since signed for Championship rivals Bristol City on a four-year deal.

And Brentford have subsequently followed up their initial enquiry for Raya by entering formal discussions over a deal with Rovers.

Catalonian-born Raya has made over 100 appearances for Blackburn since graduating from their academy

• Backroom

Ya, I would have had him out instead of Raya too ideally. I really think Lenihan needs to be captain sooner rather than later and I can't see that happening with Mulgrew here. I think Lenihan generally plays better when he isn't partnered with Mulgrew. It allows him to take the lead and I think that is what works for him. 

Agreed, I don't think Mulgrew is the type of partner Lenihan needs at the back. In fact I'd go as far as to say Mulgrew has never been a particularly good CB for us. Even in L1 he was exposed fairly often, but it didn't matter so much as teams either didn't have the quality to take their chances or conceded more than they scored. 

Mulgrew's popularity largely stems from his direct set piece prowess. When a player scores often it generally endears them to the fanbase, masking the things they don't do so well. He's also got a decent pass on him and is quite composed. He would have made an excellent DM for us in his younger years, but unfortunately CB seems to be the only spot for him now and he's simply never been that good of a defender for us. He'll still go down as an important player for us over the past few years and rightly so, but I really wish he was moving on as I think his race here has been run. 

• Like 1

Liverpool got 10+ million for their third choice goalkeeper called Ward. If Rovers sell Raya for 2-3 million then they deserve any stick they get. I don't think he's amazing but at 23 he's worth a minimum of 5 million at least on potential alone. 

If brentford can't afford that then jog on. Could someone like Walton who was playing in the championship last season be someone as a loan target with any money coming in going on outfield players.

On Adam. If we sign Charlie Adam, why have we signed Stewart Downing? Both bring the same qualities to me. Good technical ability but lacking in physical attributes so can't both play at once.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Left back full stop is weak because Bell is also fairly poor defensively.

In order of preference for replacement in the defence I would be looking:-

Centre Half

Left Back

Goalkeeper

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

On Adam, if we got Smallwood out or if Rodwell doesn't sign, then he could be a good addition. 

Very short memory mate. It wasnt that long ago he was calling us as a club....not remember? He can feck off for me, training on our grass. .arsehole Adam

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Agreed, I don't think Mulgrew is the type of partner Lenihan needs at the back. In fact I'd go as far as to say Mulgrew has never been a particularly good CB for us. Even in L1 he was exposed fairly often, but it didn't matter so much as teams either didn't have the quality to take their chances or conceded more than they scored. 

Mulgrew's popularity largely stems from his direct set piece prowess. When a player scores often it generally endears them to the fanbase, masking the things they don't do so well. He's also got a decent pass on him and is quite composed. He would have made an excellent DM for us in his younger years, but unfortunately CB seems to be the only spot for him now and he's simply never been that good of a defender for us. He'll still go down as an important player for us over the past few years and rightly so, but I really wish he was moving on as I think his race here has been run. 

What you write, DE., is sad but true, imo.

My Geordie pal - resident in Glasgow for 30+ years - confirmed my memory of Mulgrew as a midfielder when I asked about him at the time we signed him. It just confirmed my opinion of the paucity of Scottish football these days that their international team in recent seasons followed TM's lead in playing him at the back.

This was before we began to realise that TM collects midfielders the way some of us collect football programmes.

I'm sure someone - sorry, I can't remember who - said on here not too long ago that it's a pity that our kind of football couldn't be like American Football with the concept of 'Special teams' so that Mulgrew could come on to take free kicks/penalties. I'm fear that, realistically, would be more use to us than his defending next season.

• Like 3