BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Charlie Adam is 33, so just a sprog compared to Stewart Downing but getting past retirement age in football terms.

I hope the Rovers pension scheme is fully funded.

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Charlie Adam is 33, so just a sprog compared to Stewart Downing but getting past retirement age in football terms.

I hope the Rovers pension scheme is fully funded.

It's being well taken care of at senior management level, no worries

I’m not getting overly worried with the lack of public transfer links just yet.

What we MUST do is buy some players who are ready to play straight away and not like most of our other recent signings who weren’t deemed fit enough to play.

No point spending £1m or £10m if they aren’t going to be ready to start games for 6-12 months.

• Like 1

If we hadn't already signed Downing then Adam would have been a decent signing, but with Downing signing we don't want to be signing another player in his mid 30's. 

As for Gallagher it all depends on the fee if we signed him for £2-3 Million then he would be a decent signing but £3 Million+ and I'd be looking for a bit more value.

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I tweeted Kristy Gallagher earlier today, doesn't mean I am going home to tuck her in tonight! 

At first glance you T looked like an F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I do just wonder and this is wishful /hopeful thinking. If we have the same to spend as last summer, roughly 10 million. Getting lets say 3 million for Raya would move that to 13 million.  That gives a nice bit of wriggle room.

6 million on a centre half, 3 million on a striker and 3 million on a new left back

Boom

:)

Eh...

?

eh

Are ye with me? 

Who is in goal?

Just now, K-Hod said:

Completely ignoring the merits of his signing for a moment, let’s consider the below.

I might be wrong here, but when Fraser Forster has that solitary England appearance, I think Southampton gave him a juicy new contract. Worth about £70k a week....

Being honest, if that were you and Rovers came calling offering (let’s say) £20k a week, you’d probably hang about for a better offer, wouldn’t you? 

Depends on who else is offering him opportunities and whether Southampton will subsidise his wages til the end of his contract.

I wonder what Michel Vorm’s wage demands might be as a free agent?

Just now, neophox said:

Wigan now in for Gallagher.

Gosh that would be perfect after Bauer and Preston.

Another 50 pages on the speed of the market... value for money... should be looking for better targets...

Just now, CD_93 said:

Gosh that would be perfect after Bauer and Preston.

Another 50 pages on the speed of the market... value for money... should be looking for better targets...

We were never really in for Gallagher. He would have been third choice behind Graham and Brereton.

• Like 2

Just now, DeeCee said:

"Defenders are coming!" When?

John Wayne asked the same question at the Alamo, we know how that ended.

Could Wigan afford to pay more in fees or wages than us? This is not a request for Gallagher to be a Rover just a bit of a ball kick if they can.

• Like 1

Oh the furore regarding Charlie Adam!

To get out of this league a club needs an experienced hand to help.

We have had 2 examples in recent years.

Gordon Cowans - an old ageing pro played a part at our club bringing skill, nouse and most importantly balance and know how. Wasn’t the fastest but was a success.

Kevin Moran - need I say more?

Tony Gale - oldest freebie signing ever? Brought quality, know how and balance to help the younger players succeed.

There are other examples, Mick Duxbury, Frank Stapleton, Archibald, Ardiles. Granted not everyone a roaring success but you get the picture.

So for me Adam is more defensively aware than Evans or Smallwood, he has more attacking verve, football ability and know how than the midfield put together and IMO would be a fantastic model for the younger element such as Travis. He isn’t going to cost the earth so why not if he is fit and mobile?

We have seen how good he can be, and I accept he has a nasty side to him as well but isn’t that something Rovers have lacked since Toddy was at the club? A player with fight, balls and creativity to boot?

Thats my view

• Like 4

Would be disappointed to see Raya leave, at just 23 and after one full season at this level behind a soft-centred defence.

Interesting to compare his two performances v Brentford last season. He was superb when we beat them at Ewood, that save on to the bar was one of the best we've seen at Ewood for years. Away from home he conceded 5 and made a horrendous decision to come out for the goal that made it 3-2 - but Brentford obviously saw enough over the two games overall to think he could be a very good keeper at this level with the correct coaching (presumably they have an experienced GK coach......).

Doubt it'd happen anyway but would avoid Fraser Forster, remember at the time a couple of years back thinking how bad he looked before he got dropped, palming simple shots straight to strikers and taking an age to get down to low shots seems to ring a bell. Looked poor v West Ham too at the end of last season. It may have been his first game for 18 months, but there's probably a reason for that. 

• Like 1

My thought so far:

- Raya. I like him, he's quick, agile and a modern keeper. Also think his kicking is decent. However ironicly he's probably better suited to Premier League or another less physical European league. Championship will a lot of times be battle, and he doesn't have the stature to command the area. Unfortunatly Leutwiler is even worse. He will not come of his line and was well known for this when we bought him. We need another keeper who can command the area, but at least shouldn't let Raya go without a better option lined up.

- Charlie Adam. Doesn't take the rumour too seriously. With Downing signed I think we have the experienced playmaker covered. Downing is still quite mobile, Adam is not. Much rather have someone like Reed who can do box-to-box and worked very well with Travis. Probably hard to find.

- Gallagher. Yes please. I liked him last time and think he will be a good option considering what we got. Not sure if there are any better options for our budget out there, unless we get unearth a foreign gem. 

- Mowbray. Pretty disappointed he is backtracking on the defensive needs. It wasn't just a blip, without Lenihan we are going to ship a lot of goals. Mulgrew can't defend and unless one of the youngsters like Wharton really step up, we are paperthin. I think he's a great honest man, but could be more tactical when selling the club. Why could he tell Bauer he would compete for a place on the same line as others?  

- Few rumours are probably a good thing. The club is a lot better keeping the transfer work under radar now. They probably have enquired about 10-20 players for each position, very little is leaked. It all comes down to actually comes in the door, which judging by last year is an everchanging landscape as they further down the list. In general it seems like there is very few transfers going on both in the Premier League and Championship. Will probably be mayhem the last two weeks before the deadline when desperation hits. 

4 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I’ve just been back through the thread a few pages, looking for posts containing this “furore” that you mention. It’s fair to say that I wasn’t surprised to find that there aren’t any.

For the record, he is not what we need, especially having signed Downing for his experience, and we certainly have greater priorities.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

To get out of this league a club needs an experienced hand to help.

We have had 2 examples in recent years.

Gordon Cowans - an old ageing pro played a part at our club bringing skill, nouse and most importantly balance and know how. Wasn’t the fastest but was a success.

Kevin Moran - need I say more?

Tony Gale - oldest freebie signing ever? Brought quality, know how and balance to help the younger players succeed.

There are other examples, Mick Duxbury, Frank Stapleton, Archibald, Ardiles. Granted not everyone a roaring success but you get the picture.

So for me Adam is more defensively aware than Evans or Smallwood, he has more attacking verve, football ability and know how than the midfield put together and IMO would be a fantastic model for the younger element such as Travis. He isn’t going to cost the earth so why not if he is fit and mobile?

We have seen how good he can be, and I accept he has a nasty side to him as well but isn’t that something Rovers have lacked since Toddy was at the club? A player with fight, balls and creativity to boot?

Thats my view

Recent years? ? In the context that we've been in existence since 1875 yes but in the real world recent I would suggest is the last 5 or so seasons?