BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Oh the furore regarding Charlie Adam!

To get out of this league a club needs an experienced hand to help.

We have had 2 examples in recent years.

Gordon Cowans - an old ageing pro played a part at our club bringing skill, nouse and most importantly balance and know how. Wasn’t the fastest but was a success.

Kevin Moran - need I say more?

Tony Gale - oldest freebie signing ever? Brought quality, know how and balance to help the younger players succeed.

There are other examples, Mick Duxbury, Frank Stapleton, Archibald, Ardiles. Granted not everyone a roaring success but you get the picture.

So for me Adam is more defensively aware than Evans or Smallwood, he has more attacking verve, football ability and know how than the midfield put together and IMO would be a fantastic model for the younger element such as Travis. He isn’t going to cost the earth so why not if he is fit and mobile?

We have seen how good he can be, and I accept he has a nasty side to him as well but isn’t that something Rovers have lacked since Toddy was at the club? A player with fight, balls and creativity to boot?

Thats my view

How would this team of over 30's when they signed for us get on? Promotion guaranteed? 

............... Friedel

Salgado Moran Gale Berg

….............. Cowans............. 

............Ardiles Tugay.......... 

................ Hughes........... 

...........Speedie Archibald 

• Like 4

I wish people wouldn't harp back on about Cowans and Moran etc great as they were it says it all when we have to delve back that far to find examples of over age signings that have worked well.

Plus they and several others and the club were on different levels to what we are now and it was different times.  Rarely works these days guys in the past needed to keep earning because they hadn't earned the million or more even average joes earn today so they had to keep grafting. These days in most cases they just find it hard to walk away from another 10 thousand per week contract despite what they may have in the bank the money is just too good to walk away from.

Adam has rarely been fit wherever he's been so he isn't going to turn into Gordan Cowans now is he. I'm amazed people can't see what might be happening here again, leave the duds alone Rovers !

• Like 7

Just now, tomphil said:

I wish people wouldn't harp back on about Cowans and Moran etc great as they were it says it all when we have to delve back that far to find examples of over age signings that have worked well.

Plus they and several others and the club were on different levels to what we are now and it was different times.  Rarely works these days guys in the past needed to keep earning because they hadn't earned the million or more even average joes earn today so they had to keep grafting. These days in most cases they just find it hard to walk away from another 10 thousand per week contract despite what they may have in the bank the money is just too good to walk away from.

Adam has rarely been fit wherever he's been so he isn't going to turn into Gordan Cowans now is he. I'm amazed people can't see what might be happening here again, leave the duds alone Rovers !

I don't for one minute think we should sign Charlie Adam, and I am not in favour of signing older players because they are free. I was simply posting a team that made up of successful older signings. 

So.... How much did Brereton cost again? 

When is Maddison finally going to sign?

Can't believe we didn't seal the Bauer deal. 

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I have a feeling we will see Nyambe at centre half next season. Seems to enjoy playing there with Namibia, and by all accounts has done well. Would love to see him as big success at Rovers, could really become a fan favourite. 

Could be useful at centre half but I fear that only gives the manager an excuse to sqyeeze Bennett back into the team. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I'm mystified as to why people are talking like we are looking to sign Adam when even the original 'source' says he is only here keeping fit.

Why are we letting him “get fit” if there is no interest in having first dibs if he can meet the fitness standard required?

His ability have made him a top two division footballer. The only questionable things is his fitness.

It’d he just like us to give him a one year deal to replace Rodwell.

Again, we have far more pressing positions. Like replacing Reed’s energy and ability, a new centre back, a second striker, a goalkeeper.

Stoke fans actually say that despite his obvious fitness issues and fondness for collecting cards, he is/was their best midfielder. Like us they seem to have a glut of sideways passing crabs with them claiming that Adam at least tries to get the ball forward. 

Short term one-year deal at the right money he would make a decent option to have. As others have said though, we have far more pressing concerns that need addressing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yep

Bolton were winning promotion to the Championship the season we got relegated to league one?

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Oh the furore regarding Charlie Adam!

To get out of this league a club needs an experienced hand to help.

We have had 2 examples in recent years.

Gordon Cowans - an old ageing pro played a part at our club bringing skill, nouse and most importantly balance and know how. Wasn’t the fastest but was a success.

Kevin Moran - need I say more?

Tony Gale - oldest freebie signing ever? Brought quality, know how and balance to help the younger players succeed.

There are other examples, Mick Duxbury, Frank Stapleton, Archibald, Ardiles. Granted not everyone a roaring success but you get the picture.

So for me Adam is more defensively aware than Evans or Smallwood, he has more attacking verve, football ability and know how than the midfield put together and IMO would be a fantastic model for the younger element such as Travis. He isn’t going to cost the earth so why not if he is fit and mobile?

We have seen how good he can be, and I accept he has a nasty side to him as well but isn’t that something Rovers have lacked since Toddy was at the club? A player with fight, balls and creativity to boot?

Thats my view

We are in a different era and the game has got quicker and quicker.

Even with many of those mentioned above, we did not achieve promotion in that era.

The team that got promoted with Cowans and Moran in was littered with other good players and signings.

If the manager had come good on his spiel about recruiting from the continent and if he was showing a little more imagination, the odd mid 30 year old wouldn't be so bad.

He's also blatantly backtracked regarding the need for a new defence.

In 2019, signing players in the autumn of their career is not the route to a promotion push.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I have a feeling we will see Nyambe at centre half next season. Seems to enjoy playing there with Namibia, and by all accounts has done well. Would love to see him as big success at Rovers, could really become a fan favourite. 

He might in a back three, unsure of him as a centre half. He struggles in the air and not sure of his positional awareness in that position. Magloire is quite similar, very quick and good one-vs-one. I saw Magloire totally dominate Rhyan Brewster at Liverpool in U-23 football, but struggled badly against Joe Garner/Steven Fletcher in the air.  

8 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

How would this team of over 30's when they signed for us get on? Promotion guaranteed? 

............... Friedel

Salgado Moran Gale Berg

….............. Cowans............. 

............Ardiles Tugay.......... 

................ Hughes........... 

...........Speedie Archibald 

I'd pay to watch that side ! Great call....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, briansol said:

He might in a back three, unsure of him as a centre half. He struggles in the air and not sure of his positional awareness in that position. Magloire is quite similar, very quick and good one-vs-one. I saw Magloire totally dominate Rhyan Brewster at Liverpool in U-23 football, but struggled badly against Joe Garner/Steven Fletcher in the air.  

I think Mowbray will try and get us playing with a back 3 again, so Nyambe would probably form a part of that 3.

The problem of course is that we don't have any wing backs, so unless Mowbray signs some, it's not going to work.

Just now, davulsukur said:

I think Mowbray will try and get us playing with a back 3 again, so Nyambe would probably form a part of that 3.

The problem of course is that we don't have any wing backs, so unless Mowbray signs some, it's not going to work.

Don't put it past him playing Downing as a wing back ?

• Like 1

While the names being linked at present are not very inspiring, the time to judge is at the end of the window.

As of yesterday there had been 47 transfer (including freebies and loans) and 7 teams who not done any deals yet.  I suspect things will really ramp up now that teams are back in pre-season training.  We do not have the money to compete with teams like even Bristol City who can spend £8 million on a defender, on top of signing players like Da Silva (from Chelsea) and Bentley (from Brentford).  I think what is happening is that the market is inflated at the moment so teams like Rovers are waiting and trying to get some sort of value for money as market usually does calm down (in terms of money demanded) as the deadline approaches as teams have to shift players to peruse their targets that they have.

That said, I was excited by the names being mentioned in May as it seemed we were taking a different approach but now we are being linked with the same type of player that we have been over the last 2 years which is a bit disappointing given the investment in scouting structures.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Bennett, Nyambe, Del and Bell as a back 4 just gives me nightmares 

Tony loves an experiment but it would be nice if he loved a solid settled set of defenders and keeper instead.

The more options this managers has the more he'll muck it about.

• Like 1

Just now, Kamy100 said:

While the names being linked at present are not very inspiring, the time to judge is at the end of the window.

As of yesterday there had been 47 transfer (including freebies and loans) and 7 teams who not done any deals yet.  I suspect things will really ramp up now that teams are back in pre-season training.  We do not have the money to compete with teams like even Bristol City who can spend £8 million on a defender, on top of signing players like Da Silva (from Chelsea) and Bentley (from Brentford).  I think what is happening is that the market is inflated at the moment so teams like Rovers are waiting and trying to get some sort of value for money as market usually does calm down (in terms of money demanded) as the deadline approaches as teams have to shift players to peruse their targets that they have.

That said, I was excited by the names being mentioned in May as it seemed we were taking a different approach but now we are being linked with the same type of player that we have been over the last 2 years which is a bit disappointing given the investment in scouting structures.

We could have spent 8m on a defender, but Tony pissed the coin up against the wall on a shyte forward 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Kamy100 said:

Not a dig at you Kamy but we've heard this almost every window for the past eight years and almost every single one has ended in disappointment. In fact the only time I can remember this line not being repeated over the course of the window was summer 2017 and that's because we did a lot of good business before or at the start of July. What a concept.

Edited by DE.

Just now, DE. said:

Not a dig at you Kamy but we've heard this almost every window for the past eight years and almost every single one has ended in disappointment. In fact the only time I can remember this line not being repeated over the course of the window was summer 2017 and that's because we did a lot of good business before or at the start of July. What a concept.

Yea, also in a league where we paid the most, had the best facilities and favourites to go up.

I wonder why business was easier?