BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

4 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

I don’t think Venky’s are saying go and splash ridiculous amounts of money but more like you have an agreed budget (just like last summer) and you had a plan to spend it which didn’t work out and we were left scrabbling around on deadline day so they want to avoid that by getting business done asap, whereas Mowbray/Waggott seems to want to wait in the hope that as deadline day approaches the market becomes more realistic and we get some value for money. 

If this is indeed what is currently happening, then much as people hate to admit it then surely Venky's are 100 % correct.

If things progress in the same vein as last summer's window and We ger to the last day or two of the window without having signed anyone of any significance, selling Clubs will recognise your desperation and make you pay through the nose for players who are left who won't necessarily be the ones you really needed or wanted in the first place.

• Like 3

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Not sure, seems as if he was getting an extension until Lampard left? Maybe the new manager has others in mind?

Actually the two lads above him were loanees, so that stat says he is Derby’s best player....

Bradley Johnson may be a decent player but unless I'm missing something, are we not awash with midfield players of one denomination or another? It's the only part of the field where I'd consider we were adequately covered.

FFS, please focus on defence: I'd be relatively happy if we signed a couple of decent defenders first and foremost and perhaps a target man up front.

I wouldn't be unduly bothered if midfield wasn't mentioned again in this transfer window.

• Like 4

Are we really covered in midfield?Numbers maybe yes but quality definitely not.Smallwood and Evans are lower to mid championship at best.Johnson would be an upgrade.

Agree better quality in defence is a must, but we need to improve the quality throughout the side to be up at top end of the table 

• Backroom
Just now, AdamRochina said:

johnson, assombalongao and butterfield all in,  evans and smallwood out :)  ooh yeah evans and smallwood and tonys best pals so i doubt he would want to get rid lol

Even if he did, who's buying? Nobody wanted Evans even when we were relegated. Then we go and give him a new contract. 

Just now, islander200 said:

Are we really covered in midfield?Numbers maybe yes but quality definitely not.Smallwood and Evans are lower to mid championship at best.Johnson would be an upgrade.

Agree better quality in defence is a must, but we need to improve the quality throughout the side to be up at top end of the table 

I agree totally but what concerns me is I don't really recall TM having a ruthless streak in telling anybody they're not good enough and need to find another club. Unless you count Raya which I think is absolutely ludicrous.

We're collecting dross like Panini stickers. If we needed somebody like Johnson Gladwin, Smallwood, Bennet and possibly Evans should be shown the door to create room for improvement.

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Lovely, that was four years ago.

I saw him less than 4months ago at Ewood chasing shadows and getting played off the park.

Frank Lampards Derby County FC were, to a man, chasing shadows and being played off the park that night in our best performance in years. 

But useful to single out Johnson for the sake of debate.

16 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Gee I wonder why Derby are getting rid of their third best player??

Gee I wonder why are we "getting rid of" our #1 GK, who could also be argued is our, what, debatably 6th, best player?

(Graham, Dack, Lenihan, Travis, Rothwell top 5?)

Perspective.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
Sorry, didn't realise I had quoted the same poster twice... wasn't personal.

Weren't we linked with Johnson years ago when he was in his prime? 

Have to admit I don't know too much about him these days but having signed 35 year old Downing the prospect of, signing another player whose best days are probably behind him would make me nervous.

Why can't we sign any players in their prime in the 25-29 year old age bracket? There must be plenty about  within our means if we were to cast the net wide enough.

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

They've been here for 9 years and have apparently spent almost 150 million since being here. If they still need help they must be slow learners. Many owners with no previous involvement in football learn how it works in much less time for a lot less money.

Fact is at no club should the manager be guiding the owners. The manager is a short term employee who delivers results. 

I think you'll find I wouldn't trust these owners as far as I could throw them and think they are con men. I do trust Mowbray but he has numerous faults.

I'm just pointing out the potentially ludicrous situation being suggested where the owners can and want to spend yet their employees are supposedly stopping that.

Perhaps the penny has finally dropped that Premier league football will eradicate their losses AND increase their brand visibility.  Maybe now they want to go for it.

46 minutes ago, kokkini said:

Football Manager warriors out in force again ?

When I posted these I was waiting for some moron to post exactly this. Never played it but watch a lot of European football... Thanks for your brilliantly insightful contribution to transfer discussion though. ?

• Like 3

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

Selling Raya is madness. I have a bias for academy products but still think we would be letting him go early when he has bags of potential

I like Raya. He has good potential and I wouldn’t sell him, but I think he’ll be quite easily replaced if needs be.

Just now, USABlue said:

Perhaps the penny has finally dropped that Premier league football will eradicate their losses AND increase their brand visibility.  Maybe now they want to go for it.

Even if it's not what they would have done by choice you might argue their hand is being forced by FFP.

To me the choice seems to be to do nothing for 2 seasons and allow our annual operating losses to tip us over into embargo at the end of that period.

Or we could invest judiciously in some quality players which would give us an outside chance of reaching the promised land but if we didn't make it we might be able to sell at a profit which would prevent an embargo from coming into effect.

Seems a no brainer to me, but then again It's not my money nor have I lost c£150m already!

10 hours ago, Biz said:

...and the average wage has gone up even since then!

However turnover is down! That’s my main concern. 

Id love for us to go out spend good money and smash the division, but I cannot go through another reaction to that if it goes wrong.

If I was assuming TM and Waggott’s mindset - I’d suggest they’re concerned more by that than the Rao’s. 

Since were promoting the likes of Johnson, it suggests the current key decision makers “on the ground” have the have the right intentions for the future of the club.

If they also think keeping wages and transfer investments within a remit we can afford without sanction, is beneficial - I’m happy to go with them on that. (Whilst not assuming the reason is because TM doesn’t want to spend is because he wont drop Bennett, or because he thinks Raya is an easy target scapegoat! :) )

Seems like a post way too sensible for these pages.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Johnson interest could suggest Brandon O’Neill is a no go if we were ANY other club. But because we’re us, and he’s a midfielder, you just never know.

Setting up to play 3-6-1 with a midfield six of Travis, Evans, Smallwood, O’Neill, Johnson and Davenport ?

or 4-6 as we did in the first half at Preston last season !

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Frank Lampards Derby County FC were, to a man, chasing shadows and being played off the park that night in our best performance in years. 

But useful to single out Johnson for the sake of debate.

Gee I wonder why are we "getting rid of" our #1 GK, who could also be argued is our, what, debatably 6th, best player?

(Graham, Dack, Lenihan, Travis, Rothwell top 5?)

Perspective.

No need to apologize for a different opinion.

Take your first point, we were tremendous that night. Was that the first time we had Travis and Reed in centre mid together?

Second point, not sure if that’s the best analogy. Evans in league 1 was probably statically our best player but we all knew better.

Im just disappointed in type we have been after. 

We need a quality CH,CM,CF and probably a right winger on loan. Nae Pensioners!!

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Thinks it’s perfectly clear in TM’s message be PATIENT things are clearly happening behind the scenes and might take a bit to get over the line.

Now you should know Roverite that a calm and reasoned post is not what this thread is about.