BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, JHRover said:

Presumably to raise the funds needed to bring in Johnson and Downing.

Expect to see a freebie or loan keeper come in and then the cash we get for Raya will cover our summer spending.

I’d only presume that if I was convinced the worst case scenario is most likely.

I think we will see a defender in yet.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Disappointed about Raya - just don’t understand it. 

Really?  After his numerous cock ups and our amazingly bad goals against column, and you don't understand why he's being sold?  Not good enough 

• Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I don’t think anything at this stage.

We spent net £10milliion + last summer.

So far this summer we’ve brought in two frees and about to sell our keeper for 3.

So that’s a net spend of minus 3 million. So if we are now going to spend £13 million in a month... cracking!

Assombalonga for 8 million

Cooper for 5 million

Vorm on a free

Job done, let's get going!!!! 

• Like 3

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have the same to send as last summer, so really not sure why you keep saying this! You used to be a pretty rational poster. Now it seems you just ignore reality to trot out irrational lines like this repeatedly. Like I mean last summer it was the same stuff about us having no money to spend over and over again. All of which proved unfounded. 

Oldest trick in the Venky book to bring a couple of 'big name' free agents and then out the back door goes a player for a couple of million to cover the outlay.

It has been said that the budget for fees AND wages is the same as last year, with authority to move money between the two. With Downing and Johnson in safe to say their wage packets will be a bit bigger than the Rothwells of last summer, so presumably the funds will be coming at the expense of transfer fees.

• Like 3

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Really?  After his numerous cock ups and our amazingly bad goals against column, and you don't understand why he's being sold?  Not good enough 

He’ll come good - he’s young. Even De Gea used to make regular cock ups. Get an experienced guy in to compete with him and educate him, not just replace him.

If we do replace £3m Raya with a free Carson (or similar) then I think we all know which way this window goes contrary to the ‘Venkys want us to spend’ theories.

• Like 1

Happy with Johnson, really very disappointed with Raya but I can see why it might work for all parties.

If Raya irons out the issues with his game, he will be worth plenty more than £3million one day. If he can't, then we've probably done well to get that amount for him.

Seems a decent sort too, wish him all the best.

• Like 2

I just wonder did Mowbray tell Raya he wouldn't be automatic number 1 this season and did he then want to leave. 

I like Raya and its a shame that he is leaving, but I honestly can't say I would have been confident with him starting as number 1. He has too many mistakes in him. 

• Like 5

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Happy with Johnson, really very disappointed with Raya but I can see why it might work for all parties.

If Raya irons out the issues with his game, he will be worth plenty more than £3million one day. If he can't, then we've probably done well to get that amount for him.

Just hope we have sorted out a decent sell on clause

Edit: Apparently Brentford have a highly rated Spanish goalkeeping coach that joined last season  - thread on him from a brentford forum https://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130307&page=2

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 4

Whether Raya is to be sold or not ..theres no way he should be the no1 this season after last. As has been pointed out on numerous occasions ..our goals against last season was bloody awful! 

Keeper instils confidence on defence ..defence instils confidence on the keeper ..neither evident last season so a change was inevitable. If Raya was to remain would he gain the confidence needed sat on the bench at Ewood ? Better for both parties for a clean start elsewhere. lad was never the same after the WBA game  but even prior to that he was making mistakes which he really should not have been making. Best of luck David.

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I think he was lucky to find himself as our number 1 , right place wrong time for us as a club.  I think Brentford will find him out and he will slip down the divisions and end up a lower league goalie.

I don't think I will ever forget what Raya did against Birmingham when he gave away the penalty. It was one of the worst unforced errors I have ever a player make. Firstly there was absolutely no reason to go for the ball and secondly he completely missed the ball. You could see the other rovers players were shell shocked by what they had seen. Ya De Gea made mistakes, but did he ever make one like that? 

I do like him though. He has amazing reflexes. He has a long way to go to be a top keeper. 

• Like 4

I just wonder did Mowbray tell Raya he wouldn't be automatic number 1 this season and did he then want to leave. 

I like Raya and its a shame that he is leaving, but I honestly can't say I would have been confident with him starting as number 1. He has too many mistakes in him. 

This is what I think also, following on from the obvious difference of opinion at the end of last season after establishing himself as no 1 he's been told we are seeking another keeper to be in direct competition with him for the jersey so his dummy has come out and he's been actively seeking a move.  The Brentford stuff has been around a long while in the background.

Rovers knowing they need funds haven't stood in his way and to be honest this is probably the start of the conveyor belt of growing talent to sell it had to start sometime and if funds are being redirected back into the squad it's an improvement on some previous Venky stuff.   Small consolation to those who like Raya of course but better losing him than Dack or Lenihen and surely there'll be ad on's and sell on's.

• Like 1

I like Raya as a shotstopper and I think he does have the potential to become a great keeper (let's hope we have a sell-on attached if he does go...), but while it may seem distasteful if he's scapegoated for our defensive woes, it's entirely plausible Mowbray concluded he had to go after discussing our defensive frailties with our defenders and coaches. While the defenders obviously have the incentive to pass the buck, perhaps they are right... A case where we as fans ultimately don't know what's going on in the dressing room, in training, communication on the pitch, etc. Who knows what the back 4 + keeper dynamic was like last year.

Add on that we can get an okay fee for Raya as a young keeper with promise (which would be our first senior sale since Jason Steele!) and it may not be a bad bit of business, subject to whatever keeper we bring in to replace him.

Like the Johnson signing. Adds some much needed metal to our midfield. I'm one of the apparent few who likes Evans, but I'm well-aware he's hardly a. Smallwood's a keener, but ultimately too slow at this level (think it's worth pointing out Mowbray apparently held to only giving Smallwood a 2-year deal despite Smallwood wanting longer. I suspect Smallwood either got a little too confident in himself after a great L1 campaign or maybe knew this was his chance for a payday... in fairness to him, he has also clearly enjoyed playing here). Travis may grow into it, but he's still young.

Edited by RoverCanada

Just now, tomphil said:

This is what I think also, following on from the obvious difference of opinion at the end of last season after establishing himself as no 1 he's been told we are seeking another keeper to be in direct competition with him for the jersey so his dummy has come out and he's been actively seeking a move.  The Brentford stuff has been around a long while in the background.

Rovers knowing they need funds haven't stood in his way and to be honest this is probably the start of the conveyor belt of growing talent to sell it had to start sometime and if funds are being redirected back into the squad it's an improvement on some previous Venky stuff.   Small consolation to those who like Raya of course but better losing him than Dack or Lenihen and surely there'll be ad on's and sell on's.

That's it. Lenihan and Dack would be almost impossible to replace, particularly Dack. Raya can be replaced. We have two good keepers in the under 23s now after signing that young lad off Everton. Scott Carson would be a good or possibly Rob Green, he just left Chelsea. 

• Like 1

I don't think I will ever forget what Raya did against Birmingham when he gave away the penalty. It was one of the worst unforced errors I have ever a player make. Firstly there was absolutely no reason to go for the ball and secondly he completely missed the ball. You could see the other rovers players were shell shocked by what they had seen. Ya De Gea made mistakes, but did he ever make one like that? 

I do like him though. He has amazing reflexes. He has a long way to go to be a top keeper. 

At least we know what to do v brentford.....lots of crosses and high balls

• Like 3

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I think he was lucky to find himself as our number 1 , right place wrong time for us as a club.  I think Brentford will find him out and he will slip down the divisions and end up a lower league goalie.

Very possibly. Such a high pressure position though, I think there's something in that you very rarely see a keeper come through the ranks and stay at one club. We've seen the mistakes of a young player, with a clean slate I can see him really kicking on there.

I think, for his faults, Raya has been the best that we've had (admittedly, compared to some absolute dross) since we got relegated so I'm sorry to see him go. That said, there's no getting away from the fact that he was a contributing factor in our goals-against last season, so maybe we just don't have the luxury of giving him the time he needs to progress. 

• Like 1

I think people are judging Raya on his age instead of his ability. Brilliant at point blank reaction saves. Terrible at crosses and kicking. The crossing part has to be mostly natural instinct it's not just catching the ball but being willing to get flattened and he doesn't come across as the sort to take a smash to claim the ball. 

Doesn't help with an under qualified coach either but when similar errors are made after 100 games then you've to question the player himself. 

Any chance the goalkeeper could be the lad from Brighton who was on loan at Wigan. 

On Johnson. A good player whose experiencedat the level. Brings power and technique. Smallwood must be going now surely. 

Goalkeeper. Centre back and Striker are the areas that need sorting now.

Edited by Tom Stinny
  • Like 1

That was one of the worst match day experiences I've ever had. Coasting to a win and we threw it away with pathetic errors. What made it worse was the weather that day. Freezing cold and the rain after the game was mental. My train back to Liverpool wasn't for 3 hours as well. Awful.

• Like 1

New keeper 

Nyambe Lenihan New CB  Bell

Johnson Travis 

Rothwell     Dack      Downing 

Graham 

We are getting there I think. A good mix of experience and youth. Decent bench too. 

• Like 4

3 million for Raya is peanuts. Shades of when we sold Cairney. Hopefully he fulfills his potential and we get a piece of the transfer fee when he leaves Brentford. I believe he’ll be a top keeper one day but he’s not there just yet. No idea who we are going too bring in as a replacement? Anyone any suggestions? John Ruddy would be my choice if we were going too go down the experienced route, second choice at wolves and at 32 years old he’s got a few years left and he may want too spend them playing first team football, if a deal could be done he’d be my choice, having Bennett and Johnson here (old team mates from Norwich) might help also.

• Like 5

Just now, RoverKyle said:

That was one of the worst match day experiences I've ever had. Coasting to a win and we threw it away with pathetic errors. What made it worse was the weather that day. Freezing cold and the rain after the game was mental. My train back to Liverpool wasn't for 3 hours as well. Awful.

Oh stop. It must have been awful being at it. I was watching it on ifollow and I was just sitting with my mouth open as the meltdown commenced. I was like "how the f*** did that just happen?" 

I was after doing that thing where you look at the league table and work out where we would be if we won our next couple. 

I couldn't look at the table for a while after that! 

• Like 1