Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

New keeper 

Nyambe Lenihan New CB  Bell

Johnson Travis 

Rothwell     Dack      Downing 

Graham 

We are getting there I think. A good mix of experience and youth. Decent bench too. 

Looks a good team on paper. There's something about Bell I really don't like. He can look lazy on the ball and that led to errors last season. Have to admit that going forward, he does look dangerous. He carries the ball really well.

• Like 2

Just now, RoverKyle said:

Looks a good team on paper. There's something about Bell I really don't like. He can look lazy on the ball and that led to errors last season. Have to admit that going forward, he does look dangerous. He carries the ball really well.

That's the think which stands out to me too. Control of the ball is very good, just abysmal when it comes to crossing!

• Like 2

Yeah he simply cant defend ..the number of times a wide player got to the bye line to get a cross in was criminal.

That was one of the worst match day experiences I've ever had. Coasting to a win and we threw it away with pathetic errors. What made it worse was the weather that day. Freezing cold and the rain after the game was mental. My train back to Liverpool wasn't for 3 hours as well. Awful.

Think there was only about 2,000 people left in their seats that second half!

Going forward Bell is okay, but defensively he is more often than not absolutely all over the place. We still need too bring a left back in as competition for me as he’s the only player we have who can play there (Williams should only be used as backup centre half not left back).. Still a lot too be done before the end of the window. 

New keeper 

Johnson Travis 

Graham 

We are getting there I think. A good mix of experience and youth. Decent bench too. 

Like that alot. Must admit, i wasn't keen on Downing. But seeing him in that team just looks right - Hopefully we see that for the Charlton game.

• Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Think there was only about 2,000 people left in their seats that second half!

I was a bit hungover which doesn't help, but I could feel the cold in my bones at half time. I convinced myself that it would all be worth it if we won...

Edit. On that basis, Raya can do one. I'll pay for his taxi down to London.

Edited by RoverKyle

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Like that alot. Must admit, i wasn't keen on Downing. But seeing him in that team just looks right - Hopefully we see that for the Charlton game.

Good thing about Downing is that he fits just as nicely across all of those three positions behind the striker. In most games, I'd be looking to get Armstrong in there, but as a part of the squad I agree that he looks like a good option.

That's the way to do transfer business. Keep it quiet until the day before he's officially unveiled. Great signing! Proven, experienced championship midfielder. 

Sad to see Raya on the verge of leaving as I think he will be a good GK in the future. However, I will reserve judgement on the decision to sell him until we see who had been lined up to replace him. If it's Joe Hart then we'll have done some good business there.

Talk about mixed news. Delighted with Johnson and think he walks into our team and will turn out to be just what we need this season. Smallwood has to go now???

So so annoyed about Raya and Mowbray. He has simply been made the scapegoat for every goal we conceded last season. £3m is a joke too.

Good luck to him, for a youth team player he deserved much better support from both the manager and (some) fans. 

This is like the selling Brad Friedel scenario, except then we all knew we were getting Paul Robinson. Who on earth are we replacing Raya with?

Truth be told I would have been happy for a straight swap between Raya and Daniel Bentley. But as of now it's a win-win for Brentford and we have Jayson Luitwiler.

We hold our breath...

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 7

Both Nyambe and Bell I think can improve a lot. Have the raw materials. Really need a solid central defender though alongside Lenihan to give them the stability to grow. 

New keeper 

Johnson Travis 

Graham 

It's a decent midfield and attack but defence still looks poor. Need one top quality centre back and at least one of the full backs needs to be more solid and experienced.

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Talk about mixed news. Delighted with Johnson and think he walks into our team and will turn out to be just what we need this season. Smallwood has to go now???

So so annoyed about Raya and Mowbray. He has simply been made the scapegoat for every goal we conceded last season. £3m is a joke too.

Good luck to him, for a youth team player he deserved much better support from both the manager and (some) fans. 

This is like the selling Brad Friedel scenario, except then we all knew we were getting Paul Robinson. Who on earth are we replacing Raya with?

We hold our breath...

Wow ...comparing Friedel and Raya ..really ..?

• Like 2

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Wow ...comparing Friedel and Raya ..really ..?

Comparing selling a goalkeeper a lot of fans were sad to see go without (knowingly) having a replacement lined up.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

Comparing selling a goalkeeper a lot of fans were sad to see go without (knowingly) having a replacement lined up.

Phew ..that's ok then !

As for not having a replacement lined up ..we should know better than to assume we haven't the way we do our business under the radar.

Truth be told I would have been happy for a straight swap between Raya and Daniel Bentley. But as of now it's a win-win for Brentford and we have Jayson Luitwiler.

We hold our breath...

For a first team goalkeeper to make that many mistakes, questions will be asked. We had a rubbish defense or at least couldnt defend properly, but Raya made plenty of errors as well. He along with the defense should be talked about for a long time 

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Decent money for somebody of his current ability. We can and hopefully will get better for less. 

They are paying for what he can be rather than what he is. If he can fulfil his potential will we deeply regret this 

• Like 3

Potential £5m plus a hopeful sell on fee. Okay money for what he's achieved I guess. I do see us still regretting it, and we are currently much weaker until we replace him.

Absolutely no excuse why we cant get a quality replacement for much less than £3-£5m and spend a decent sum on a CB from the rest of our budget.

Next week should be busy!

10 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Ya, he would be the one the most question marks are over. He is a better full back than Williams though 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom

Johnson seems like a good signing, if he's to replace where Reed would have been alongside Travis. I think it's more like to be Johnson/Evans personally, which wouldn't be so good, but we will see. Evans will still be one of the highest earners at the club and only got given a new contract a few months ago so I don't see him being used as a bench option.

It seems clear that Mowbray doesn't rate Raya. He made some very harsh comments at the end of last season and benched Raya for the final few games. Can't imagine that did much to help when it came to trying to negotiate a fee mind. I have a feeling based on last season he doesn't rate Nyambe too highly either, although I don't anticipate him leaving the club this summer. Either way if Raya goes it will add to a growing list of desperately needed defensive reinforcements. Hopefully we're ahead of the game on that one as we certainly don't want to be starting next season with Leuts in nets.