BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Talk about mixed news. Delighted with Johnson and think he walks into our team and will turn out to be just what we need this season. Smallwood has to go now???

So so annoyed about Raya and Mowbray. He has simply been made the scapegoat for every goal we conceded last season. £3m is a joke too.

Good luck to him, for a youth team player he deserved much better support from both the manager and (some) fans. 

This is like the selling Brad Friedel scenario, except then we all knew we were getting Paul Robinson. Who on earth are we replacing Raya with?

Truth be told I would have been happy for a straight swap between Raya and Daniel Bentley. But as of now it's a win-win for Brentford and we have Jayson Luitwiler.

We hold our breath...

Oh come on now, it's absolutely nowhere near on par with Friedel leaving. Friedel was one of our best players, saved us around 12 points a season, was a leader on and off the field and rarely if ever made mistakes. 

Just now, ewoodnews said:

Raya Fee is 3m that can rise to 5m with add ons.  I think if we were talking about the full 5m then a lot of us would sell.  Could come to regret it though.

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Potential £5m plus a hopeful sell on fee. Okay money for what he's achieved I guess. I do see us still regretting it, and we are currently much weaker until we replace him.

Absolutely no excuse why we cant get a quality replacement for much less than £3-£5m and spend a decent sum on a CB from the rest of our budget.

Next week should be busy!

@JHRover

You were saying? 

Little disappointed to lose Raya but it makes sense if we’re looking to add more of a commanding keeper. He’s a good shot stopper with plenty of potential but has some clear flaws that might be impossible to iron out. If we want to have a proper crack at promotion maybe it’s worth swapping him for something tried and tested, rather than crossing our fingers for development whilst coping with his lack of presence.

Besides, one of the realities of being a Rovers fan is the need to sell one or two academy players/players we signed when young every now and then to balance things and to allow ourselves to bring in in other areas. Out of the current lot it had to realistically be Raya, Lenihan or Dack. Much rather keep the latter two.

• Like 1

Just now, Lie_still_Rover said:

If it's that easy to replace Raya for less than 3m why haven't Brentford signed someone else?

They believe they are getting a young lad with the potential to improve and increase in value..

We've been down this road with Cairney, sold him relatively cheap and he went on to become a 20-30m footballer..

He might fit in their wage structure, whereas an older keeper might not. I mean, you are implying that the mighty Brentford always get it right? 

It's not really like cairney though. He was never given a proper run here in his favourite position. Raya was and made a balls of it. Personally I would keep him, but I suspect he was told he wouldn't be automatic first choice and therefore decided to leave. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I don't think I've ever seen a manager publically tear a young player a new one like Mowbray did Raya later on last season. Most unlike him as well so something must've gone on and from that point on it looked pretty unrepairable so this really isn't a surprise, what is is the almost Friedel like status Raya seems to have taken on.

Come on lads he isn't that good his all round game hasn't really moved on he's always had good reflexes. Personally I wouldn't want to shove him out the door but I would want him playing second fiddle to a better keeper if possible.  I really don't see a ten million pound Prem keeper in him in the next few years but stranger things have happened.

There'll be sell on clauses etc so the only way this will bite us on the arse is if they don't bring in a good replacement, jury's out on that one it could go either way knowing our lot but if it's a good one we'll cope fine.

Until Raya has two blinders against us next season obviously. 

• Like 7

Just now, Lie_still_Rover said:

If it's that easy to replace Raya for less than 3m why haven't Brentford signed someone else?

They believe they are getting a young lad with the potential to improve and increase in value..

We've been down this road with Cairney, sold him relatively cheap and he went on to become a 20-30m footballer..

Cairney is not a 20m player due to that fact that no one has paid that for him and thus until he is sold again he is only worth what Fulham paid for him.  Yes we messed up but if he is sold I am sure we will have a sell on clause so we should want them to do well as the fee we then received increases substantially.

Raya is going and the better he does the more money we get.  Not many of the players we have sold in the last 15 years have gone on to do that much better. 

36 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

New keeper 

Nyambe Lenihan New CB  Bell

Johnson Travis 

Rothwell     Dack      Downing 

Graham 

We are getting there I think. A good mix of experience and youth. Decent bench too. 

Still work to do. The keeper and CB signings need to be good, but I think anyone who says we haven't progressed under Mowbray needs to compare that backbone to the one which lined out in Mowbrays first game. How many were frees loans and out of contract that summer? It was basically renford rejects 

Stick Ruddy or Carson in goals, Hanley centre half and that's a team I would expect to be solid top 10 at worst 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Just now, ewoodnews said:

Cairney is not a 20m player due to that fact that no one has paid that for him and thus until he is sold again he is only worth what Fulham paid for him.  Yes we messed up but if he is sold I am sure we will have a sell on clause so we should want them to do well as the fee we then received increases substantially.

Raya is going and the better he does the more money we get.  Not many of the players we have sold in the last 15 years have gone on to do that much better. 

The Duffer is the stand out. Not many more. Maybe I am forgetting someone 

I have no problem with selling Raya. He has too many weaknesses and I didn't see much evidence of him eradicating these. A player is only worth what somebody will pay for him and the fee seems fair to me.

Johnson is a decent signing simply because he is better than what we have. Hopefully we can bring in better centre halves quickly and shift some of the dross.

• Like 1

Just now, Peteb2014 said:

still cant make my mind up either way on the Raya move very much depends on who we get into replace him my concern is with the new guy Hilton are we going to push him straight in

Yer, the way this will go depends on who comes in.

If its someone decent, Raya is forgotten.

If it's someone crap, constant comparisons etc. with Raya

13 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Decent money for somebody of his current ability. We can and hopefully will get better for less. 

If it's that easy to sell your best players and replace them with better for less, why don't we just get rid of everyone?

I'm a bit uneasy about our current business.  We've signed two players with a combined age of 67 on frees and appear to be on the verge of selling the up and coming Raya for £3m.

To say we've a lot to do is an understatement. And I bet we end up with a right old dolloper to  replace Raya. If it's Joe Hart I won't be buying a season ticket. I've already missed the claim your own seat deadline so disappointed was I with the acquisition of Downing.

• Like 2

Given how many times Raya was targeted by the opposition last year - £3m seems good money.

Only time will tell - but we don't have the finances to turn that amount of money down for a keeper that many would prefer as a No 2 to a more experienced and commanding keeper.

• Like 3

Selling your #1 when you dont have a replacement is a poor strategy. We sold Friedel once we secured Robinson.

I wonder what this "better than Raya" replacment will think when he comes in for talks and realises he will be learning from (community) coach Ben Benson.

Never heard of a person more out of their depth. Compare him to almost any other GK coach and ask yourself why Raya hasn't developed as quickly as we wanted.

• Like 3