BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, roverstdt said:

Why is everyone suddenly saying we have an old squad...

It is important to have a good mix. 

There’s only one poster saying that, the guy who’s advocating getting rid of DG for 2 years.

The other sentence I fully agree with. We concede some so many late goals due to pressure and poor game management, I’m all for adding older / wiser heads to combat that

Just now, JacknOry said:

Tells you everything you need to know really. he saved 3.5 shots before conceding a goal on average - second best in the league at that. So whose fault was it that we were facing so many shots in the first place? Put a good defence in front of him and you have a good keeper at this level that has the potential to develop into an even better one.

He made a lot of mistakes, there is no getting away from that but it would seem that TM has either pushed him out believing he was the main culprit for the insane amount fo goals we shifted last year or Raya has pushed for a move after TMs rather public condemnation of him and then dropping him at the end of the season.

29 minutes ago, Biz said:

I doubt Brentford would be interested if it was so simple! Not sure who made this, but interesting reading.

486F674D-AF7E-4755-A773-F6CD4A018BB5.jpeg

that table can't be right......

we conceded 69 goals last season in 46 games, that's 1.5 goals/game, so if Raya really made 3.5 saves per goal, he'd be making 5.25 saves per match. [even noting that Jason Lukewarm played a couple while Raya got his nose reattached]

worked the other way, if he did 2.7 saves per match over 46 matches, that's 124.2 saves, equivalent to 1.8 saves per goal, that's more in the Bailey Peepshow Flannel envelope....

maybe Raya' agent made the table...... 

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Come on Pete.

Out of those only Dack and Lenihan could be considered regular starters.

Maybe Travis as well but now Johnson has come in who knows?

And how many of your "oldies"would be regular starters? Some man to move the goalposts 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Come on Pete.

Out of those only Dack and Lenihan could be considered regular starters.

Maybe Travis as well but now Johnson has come in who knows?

So do you seriously expect

Leutwiler to start in goal 1st game of the season

how many times did Smallwood play the last 5 games of the season how often did Mulgrew play towards the end of the season you cannot possibly say that with 8 players out of our squad aged over 30 we are a retirement home I would suggest that come the start of the season the average age of our squad will be in the top 10 lowest

• Like 1

Lenihan, Nyambe, Chapman, Nuttall, Armstrong, Brereton, Davenport, Bell, Travis, we have far more younger players than older. It is important to have a good mix. 

Gallagher i am unsure of, I would rather see a good defender signed with a goalkeeper and then splash the rest on a Jonathan Kodja or Assombalonga and see what we can do. 

Everybody isn't! 

Not long ago when Raya made a couple of mistakes,quite a lot wanted him out, now it looks like he’s off, everyone moaning. My take on Raya is he’s a very good shot stopper,extremely agile but unfortunately can’t command his area, and with our defence you need a goalie to totally command anything in the area.

Told a couple of months ago Ruddy lined up but seems to have gone cold, no mention of his name recently, see Forster released by Southampton could be an option, but think it could be a free with a few quid saved for Gallagher and C/B.

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ok.

Leutwiler 30

Mulgrew 33

Bennett 31 in December

Johnson 32

Downing 35 in July

Graham 34 in August

Evans and Smallwood 30 next year.

That's eight. That accurate enough for you and how many do you want?

Only Downing and Graham there are 'old' going by average age that players end their careers, but reckon both have one more season in them, personally.

Leutwiler is 'prime' age.

Bennett, Evans, Smallwood and Mulgrew are perhaps a year away from the end of their primes age wise (although I think Mulgrew is actually nearly finished).

As for Johnson, reckon he has another couple of seasons in him.

Age isn't the key, it's how they fit into the team/squad. With that being said, I'd be reluctant to see any more coming in at 31 or older.

Edited by Mike E

Just now, unsall said:

Not long ago when Raya made a couple of mistakes,quite a lot wanted him out, now it looks like he’s off, everyone moaning. My take on Raya is he’s a very good shot stopper,extremely agile but unfortunately can’t command his area, and with our defence you need a goalie to totally command anything in the area.

Told a couple of months ago Ruddy lined up but seems to have gone cold, no mention of his name recently, see Forster released by Southampton could be an option, but think it could be a free with a few quid saved for Gallagher and C/B.

You dont half like twisting things. Quite a lot wanted him out and now 'everyone' is moaning he is leaving. Really? To quote BigCat, fake news on both accounts. Raya's departure has split opinion, you know those things that you don't like when they are different to yours? 

Lenihan, Nyambe, Chapman, Nuttall, Armstrong, Brereton, Davenport, Bell, Travis, we have far more younger players than older. It is important to have a good mix. 

Gallagher i am unsure of, I would rather see a good defender signed with a goalkeeper and then splash the rest on a Jonathan Kodja or Assombalonga and see what we can do. 

Agree with the last paragraph. Hanley and Assombalonga would have been ideal. Replacing the keeper shouldn't be necessary as Raya is or was already one of our better players imo.

Just now, unsall said:

Good window so far, Gallagher notched 11/12 goals in a relegation side so I would welcome him as well.

I thought Gallagher was alright as well, albeit it's over two years now since he last played for us and haven't watched him since.

If he does sign though what happens to Brereton? Third choice striker - and we only play one up front? Assuming neither him or Gallagher are considered as 'wide forwards', of course.....

Just now, frosty said:

I thought Gallagher was alright as well, albeit it's over two years now since he last played for us and haven't watched him since.

If he does sign though what happens to Brereton? Third choice striker - and we only play one up front? Assuming neither him or Gallagher are considered as 'wide forwards', of course.....

Think what it means is we're planning for when DG finally calls it a day - we back to two then. Think AA days as a striker would be bleak though - hope he can learn that inside forward role a bit better.

Just now, unsall said:

Where is 'everyone moaning' ? That's a gross overstatement.

It's pretty much split over whether we should sell him.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Raya, I'd be disappointed to see us lose. However, if Mowbray can pull off a great replacement signing, Raya could prove to be our 'Filan' to the Friedel.

Personally I'm sorry to see him go, BUT there's no doubt he's lost confidence since his face was kicked in. You can tell he's even more reluctant to get stuck in than he was before.

It could be that the Spanish guy at Brentford might be the perfect candidate to push him to the next level, while I'm not convinced we would.

• Like 4

Don't mind selling Raya - as others have said - great shot stopper within his reach, but he is quite short for a keeper, and the faults he had as a keeper - like coming for crosses etc are partly due to him not being the biggest so not much hope of improving on them.

Not sure about Gallagher - but a lot of the doubts up front seem to be around whether our £8 million pound man can step up any time soon. If we didn't have Brereton then Gallagher coming in as Graham is phased out makes sense - but I can't see Gallagher and Brereton as a two, and how long are you going to leave out such an expensive striker?! 

Just now, unsall said:

Do you actually think selling Raya and bringing in a "free" is a wise move?

Are there any decent keepers available on a free? Genuine question as I don't know but I can't see why there would be.

Don't like the departure of David Raya, but trust Mowbray and the teams judgement.

Made the right decision putting Raya in at the end of the 16/17 season, helped us in the playoff season, but was part of a defence that shipped 69 goals last season.

Also errors against Birmingham (h) and others underlined his naivety.

Maybe we should have read more into the lack of game time towards the end of last season?

Would like a keeper from the Premier League, either on loan, or another experienced head.

Jakupovic (Leicester) Darlow (Newcastle) Forster (Southampton) Ruddy (Wolves) 

Just now, Glosrover said:

that table can't be right......

we conceded 69 goals last season in 46 games, that's 1.5 goals/game, so if Raya really made 3.5 saves per goal, he'd be making 5.25 saves per match. [even noting that Jason Lukewarm played a couple while Raya got his nose reattached]

worked the other way, if he did 2.7 saves per match over 46 matches, that's 124.2 saves, equivalent to 1.8 saves per goal, that's more in the Bailey Peepshow Flannel envelope....

maybe Raya' agent made the table...... 

Came from this guy:

I'd say the mix of age and experience is starting to look a lot better in the squad/potential starting 11 to be honest.  I'd hazard a guess that the overall average is still in the lower half of the league in numerical terms.

The lack of experience often cost us last season.

Still undecided on Raya, my view depends entirely on who he is replaced with.  He has weaknesses in his game that don't seem to be being improved upon, there's an argument that is down to inferior coaching though too.  We could do a lot worse than him though and sincerely hope we don't.

Pretty sure his replacement will be a lot more experienced, but I'm not against that at all.  Raya is useless at organising a defence and I'd rather have a keeper bellowing at them all game, suspect Mowbray is thinking the same.  I'm a fan of having a goalkeeper as captain too, they're in a great place to read the game.

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

You dont half like twisting things. Quite a lot wanted him out and now 'everyone' is moaning he is leaving. Really? To quote BigCat, fake news on both accounts. Raya's departure has split opinion, you know those things that you don't like when they are different to yours? 

Hopefully we sign one of them to replace Raya 

Heard the same thing from 3 separate people - we are planning on bringing in Joe Hart with Forster as plan B. Both can go for free. The hold up in the Raya deal has been getting up front number high enough to give to the replacement as a signing on fee to bring their wage to a level we can tolerate.

• Like 1

• Backroom

As it stands Bennett, Evans, Mulgrew, Johnson and DG would push our first 11 up into the late 20's in terms of average age, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as you are ideally looking for a mixture of youth and experience. It's also possible Evans won't be starting although I don't think that's as sure of a thing as others seem to. Mowbray has always been a cautious manager so IMO we're more likely to see Johnson/Evans than we are Johnson/Travis.

Just now, laughatthedingles said:

Heard the same thing from 3 separate people - we are planning on bringing in Joe Hart with Forster as plan B. Both can go for free. The hold up in the Raya deal has been getting up front number high enough to give to the replacement as a signing on fee to bring their wage to a level we can tolerate.

Jesus, ok, I have to say I am not a big Joe Hart fan at all.......

Just now, laughatthedingles said:

Hart would not be a good move at all, essentially has the same weaknesses as Raya, but older and on bigger wages!

• Like 3

Just now, Mike E said:

Raya, I'd be disappointed to see us lose. However, if Mowbray can pull off a great replacement signing, Raya could prove to be our 'Filan' to the Friedel.

Personally I'm sorry to see him go, BUT there's no doubt he's lost confidence since his face was kicked in. You can tell he's even more reluctant to get stuck in than he was before.

It could be that the Spanish guy at Brentford might be the perfect candidate to push him to the next level, while I'm not convinced we would.

Great post I think the coaching he might get down there is better than what is on offer up here at present plus maybe he fancies living down there now for personal reasons or whatever.  Bigger Spanish community etc.