BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

35 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Pal has always been friendly as far as I was aware 

It was inevitable we’d be linked with him eventually - especially now Raya is on his way. Right age though. Glad to hear that he’s an affable chap. AAK has still got it #AAKITK

DEB7341A-9E56-47C5-8C8C-453E7211A8A8.thumb.jpeg.9e20b9db76fac6a1244d4e53e95814d4.jpeg

• Like 7

Just now, RV Blue said:

Gutted about Raya going, I was really looking forward to watching him develop. Another thing added to Mowbray’s catalog of errors. I’d trust Brentford’s scouting department over Mowbray’s opinion a player, every single time.

All depends who we replace him with.

Cant label it an error until we see how Raya develops over time.

Im on the fence. Seems an odd one considering how relatively small the fee appears to be. 

Don’t think many of us were complaining when he got dropped at the end of the season so if we can get a decent replacement in, I’ll be alright with it.

Happy with Johnson. Established championship player and certainly an improvement on what we have. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I struggle to see how a striker who scored 11 goals can be seen as inadequate, given our current best striker scored only 12 in that same season.

Given a run up front, under a decent manager, I'd expect him to score 15-20, rather like Graham.

Eleven goals is as good as it's ever got for him and that was under a manager (Coyle) who prioritised attack over defence.

If we want to ever have aspirations of finishing higher than 15th to 21st we need far better for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It was inevitable we’d be linked with him eventually - especially now Raya is on his way. Right age though. Glad to hear that he’s an affable chap. AAK has still got it #AAKITK

DEB7341A-9E56-47C5-8C8C-453E7211A8A8.thumb.jpeg.9e20b9db76fac6a1244d4e53e95814d4.jpeg

Has he played for Boro / us /or us AND Boro before? (Like Chapman)?

?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Cannot but help think Mowbray is storing up trouble for the club in the years ahead. Johnson is 32, Downing 34/35, both past their sell-by date, Darlow at 28 is not old for a keeper but not young either.  Ageing squads suddenly need wholesale restructuring as these players lose it,  and we have enough older players on the books already. I hope we have some very good youth players coming through, because these old legs will need the youngsters to do the running for them. Ideally, we should be signing quality players in the 24-26 age bracket, people like Harrison Reed for instance. 

Ageing squad,you must be joking, he’s just added a couple of older ones to complement a young  squad, and if the goalie from Newcastle comes in, 28 is nothing for that position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agreed Jim. Dreadful window for me so far.

Raya out - madness.

Downing age 35 in - more madness

Johnson - jury firmly out. 32 and going into the engine room of midfield. Highly unlikely he'll be as good as Reed.

Gallagher - has already proved both here and at Birmingham he isn't good enough at this level. So why are we even looking at him?

Long old season coming up.

Care to say what players you would have brought in?

Just now, unsall said:

Ageing squad,you must be joking, he’s just added a couple of older ones to complement a young  squad, and if the goalie from Newcastle comes in, 28 is nothing for that position.

New keeper

Bennett Mulgrew Lenihan Williams

Downing Evans Johnson Smallwood

Dack

Graham

Not exactly brimming with youthful promise and enthusiasm is it?

51 minutes ago, DE. said:

I agree, but it just shows we're shopping in the wrong market. Look at the top goalscorers (20+ goals) from last season in the Championship:

Pukki - free from the Danish Superliga

Abraham - loan from the PL

Maupay - £1.6m from French Ligue 1

Gayle - loan from the PL

Sharp - circa £700k from the Championship

Rodriguez - £12m from the PL

McBurnie - £350k from either League 1 or League 2, can't be bothered to check

Adams - £2m from League 1

Bowen - £0, youth product

The only one who cost any significant money was Rodriguez, who was bought when WBA were in the Premier League so is an outlier.

£5m for Sam Gallagher is lazy and bad scouting imo. If you want players from the PL it seems clear that loaning is generally the way to go, rather than paying silly amounts just because the selling club is in a different financial universe. 

That's a good overview. Seems there are several approaches to getting a 20+ goal goalscorer.

1. Youth product - McBurnie was bought as a 19 year old and had several loans before establishing himself. Bowen has become better and better.

2. Lower league - Che Adams and Billy Sharp. Adams needed a season to establish himself in League one before hitting form. Ipswich tried the same this season with Kayden Jackson and that Bristol Rovers guy who both failed massively, Omar Bogle also springs to mind. Bit risky play.

3. Top loans from PL like Gayle and Abraham. Both proven goalscorers in Championship and with massive wages, 60-70k reported on both. Although Gayle was a swap loan deal with Rondon.  Not within our reach financially. We would compete more for the likes of Nchema that Preston had on loan. 

4. Foreign finds - Maupay and Pukki. This is the most interesting option, which I've been a big supporter of. Doesn't seem we are up and running on that front yet. Pukki is the most suprising for me. Who would have thought a 29 year old free from Danish league with a less than great goal record would be such a success?

While I'm a fan of Gallagher and think he will come good, I would agree that scouting wise it's a bit lazy. 

Just now, unsall said:

Care to say what players you would have brought in?

I'm not the one responsible for scouting the markets. As I've said all along QUALITY CB CM main striker needed.

Hanley would have been good, I'd have hoped for better than a 32 year old on his way down coming in in midfield, and Assombalonga or Austin would be more like the sort of quality we required up front.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

New keeper

Dack

Graham

New keeper

Nyambe lenihan mcglorie bell

Chapman Buckley Travis Armstrong 

Dack 

Gallagher 

Not exactly old is it. If we are playing the what if game. 

But neither of the teams named will be playing it will be a mix but don't let that get in the way of a moan. 

Edited by Beanie01289
  • Like 7

• Backroom
Just now, briansol said:

That's a good overview. Seems there are several approaches to getting a 20+ goal goalscorer.

1. Youth product - McBurnie was bought as a 19 year old and had several loans before establishing himself. Bowen has become better and better.

2. Lower league - Che Adams and Billy Sharp. Adams needed a season to establish himself in League one before hitting form. Ipswich tried the same this season with Kayden Jackson and that Bristol Rovers guy who both failed massively, Omar Bogle also springs to mind. Bit risky play.

3. Top loans from PL like Gayle and Abraham. Both proven goalscorers in Championship and with massive wages, 60-70k reported on both. Although Gayle was a swap loan deal with Rondon.  Not within our reach financially. We would compete more for the likes of Nchema that Preston had on loan. 

4. Foreign finds - Maupay and Pukki. This is the most interesting option, which I've been a big supporter of. Doesn't seem we are up and running on that front yet. Pukki is the most suprising for me. Who would have thought a 29 year old free from Danish league with a less than great goal record would be such a success?

While I'm a fan of Gallagher and think he will come good, I would agree that scouting wise it's a bit lazy. 

If we were paying £2-3m then it wouldn't be so bad, but for £5m we could surely get better value elsewhere if the scouting was up to par. I'm not going to pin the blame on Mowbray for this as it shouldn't be his job to set up and oversee the scouting department - there should be somebody at the club in charge of that - but I'll be disappointed if he agrees to spend £5m on Gallagher. I'd rather just loan him again tbh, although I'm guessing either the player or Southampton want a permanent deal instead.

Happy being linked with Darlow, great keeper. 

However Norwich have just signed Fahrmann on loan from Schalke. I’d love to see us go for Tim Krul, knocking on a bit but brilliant all round goalkeeper.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Talk shite rumouring Dack to Leeds.

Theyve no money never mind the £10mil minimum it would take. Hes staying here, strutting his stuff with rothwell, whilst downing, travis and johnson run the show.

Hate Leeds I’d ask for 40million from them 20 to everyone else,

gutted about raya and signing a keeper who hasn’t played for a year. 

Nutall will have a much better goals per game average than Gallagher aswel,

cheers tony the dinosaur ?

• Like 4

Im very negative but genuinly believe now that if we sign a good striker for 5mil and then a good centre half plus darlow we will have a great chance this season

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

New keeper

Dack

Graham

Never mind half empty your glass is smashed. 

You honestly think we would line up like that? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Has he played for Boro / us /or us AND Boro before? (Like Chapman)?

?

He’s an honest lad with a good attitude and will fit in well with the group... pal.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

New keeper

Dack

Graham

Conveniently missing Bell, Nyambe, Travis, Rothwell, Chapman and Bretherton who could all start. 

Nothing like weighting an argument in your favour.  

• Like 1