BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

There isn’t a better keeper in the Championship than Raya. They all make mistakes, the difference being Raya is 23 and will only get better. He was playing behind an absolutely diabolical defence last season, he was bound to make mistakes simply because he was in the constantly in the firing line.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

That's a great graphic.  Interesting that the top 3 had their biggest spike in the 25-30 category.  IE the category that we don't buy in! 

??

You’re buying proven players in that age group, who are at their peak - it costs money. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I’m not re-writing anything. This is opinion and I remember lots of people wanting to replace him throughout the season. Now lots of that same group appear devastated that we’re losing him. Some going as far as to compare him to Friedel!? 

Raya is a good Keeper with the potential to be a very good one. But he won’t be hard to replace this season.

Difference between wanting more competition, as I remember it, and wanting him sold.

You know they really, but always an excuse for a wind up.

• Like 2

Just now, JacknOry said:

Think you'll have to back that up with some posts as I dont recall 'most' wanting him out at all. A handful at most might have said it a few times.

I said lots not most and I don’t have to back anything up to anyone on here. That’s my opinion.

Just now, RV Blue said:

There isn’t a better keeper in the Championship than Raya. They all make mistakes, the difference being Raya is 23 and will only get better. He was playing behind an absolutely diabolical defence last season, he was bound to make mistakes simply because he was in the constantly in the firing line.

I honestly think Raya was a big reason the defence was so bad. There was no confidence in him and he didn't have confidence in the defence.

Bentley, Butland, Etheridge, Rudd, Johnstone, Henderson were all better than him, and that's off the top of my head.

Mowbray wants someone he can rely on week in week out. Raya isn't that man.

Edited by Hi Mack
  • Like 2

I said lots not most and I don’t have to back anything up to anyone on here. That’s my opinion.

Your opinion about lots of other people’s opinions?

Edited by Mattyblue

I’m not re-writing anything. This is opinion and I remember lots of people wanting to replace him throughout the season. Now lots of that same group appear devastated that we’re losing him. Some going as far as to compare him to Friedel!? 

Raya is a good Keeper with the potential to be a very good one. But he won’t be hard to replace this season.

Hang on! Most of what's written on here is opinion and should be! But there are facts and fiction nevertheless. 

"most seemed desperate to get him out after each time he made a mistake" is NOT a fact and you ARE rewriting history to have your usual dig at those whose views you usually find baffling. Unless you can dig up those posts to show what you are saying is true, I'll dismiss it as the usual hyperbole I associate with you. What you've written does not match my recollection of the debate.

Most,however, thought he made mistakes during the season which cost us points, particularly after that injury v West Brom. Personally I think he has brilliant reflexes but makes poor decisions at times. Not helped by the state of the defence that's true imo. Good coaching, an elder mentor to learn off and I think he could be the goods.

It seems Tony doesn't think that so it looks like he's off. Whether we live to regret that only time will tell.

• Like 1

No, its a FACT that you said "most"!!!

Edited by 47er
typo

I wanted to get rid of Raya and believe Mowbray has done the right thing. He was an enigma. At times brilliant but more often schoolboy like. He was making the same mistakes and just didn't seem to be learning from his many errors.

Bringing new players should be underpinned by one question - are they better than what we have. We can do a lot better than Raya.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

I honestly think Raya was a big reason the defence was so bad. There was no confidence in him and he didn't have confidence in the defence.

Bentley, Butland, Etheridge, Rudd, Johnstone, Henderson were all better than him, and that's off the top of my head.

Mowbray wants someone he can rely on week in week out. Raya isn't that man.

There's a report from Brentford that both the manager and the goalkeeping coach wanted rid of Bentley because there was always a mistake in him. And if you don't value the opinion of that goalkeeping coach you need to check out his CV.

Just now, 47er said:

Hang on! Most of what's written on here is opinion and should be! But there are facts and fiction nevertheless. 

"most seemed desperate to get him out after each time he made a mistake" is NOT a fact and you ARE rewriting history to have your usual dig at those whose views you usually find baffling. Unless you can dig up those posts to show what you are saying is true, I'll dismiss it as the usual hyperbole I associate with you. What you've written does not match my recollection of the debate.

Most,however, thought he made mistakes during the season which cost us points, particularly after that injury v West Brom. Personally I think he has brilliant reflexes but makes poor decisions at times. Not helped by the state of the defence that's true imo. Good coaching, an elder mentor to learn off and I think he could be the goods.

It seems Tony doesn't think that so it looks like he's off. Whether we live to regret that only time will tell.

Just now, 47er said:

The same ‘hyperbole’ which informed you all that the Bradley Johnson deal was in fact 100%  ‘done’ 12 hours before it was announced by the club? ??‍♂️??

This messageboard (aside from the above type of stuff) is just opinion. You have people talking about us being relegated in the same space as people genuinely believing that we can be promoted. Both ends of the spectrum seem equally ridiculous to the other side. I am free to pass my opinion on whatever I like and based primarily on the content already on there I don’t feel any necessity to provide evidence. If you don’t want to read it then ignore as I do to some on here.

Now, back to transfers...Gally and Darlow announced on Monday? My feeling is that it will be a fee upto £5m (including add ons) and upto £4m for Darlow. Not sure about Gallagher. Darlow would be an upgrade on Raya imo. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

You’re buying proven players in that age group, who are at their peak - it costs money. 

It's not rocket science.

You need a manager who knows the market and is capable of working it.

Wilder and Warnock got Sheff U and Cardiff up with shrewd signings which didn't cost the earth.

IMO, Mowbray has made just one excellent signing (Dack) and in the main, the rest have been in the dross to Joe Average range.

Mowbray had £10million+ last summer and, IMO, blew it big time.  With that sort of investment available, I think we should have been far more consistent, competitive and easy on the eye to watch.  

Based on what Mowbray had done so far, and is likely to do (Raya, Darlow, Downing, Johnson, Gallagher), IMV, there is little to suggest that he's going to turn us into the challenging side he said he would in Blues back in Feb..

Reed was a useful player for us last season, but I think we're going to be replacing him with a combination of:

CM: Davenport and Johnson

Wide: Chapman and Downing

Also Rothwell only came through late last season to play in place of Reed out wide.

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Can you elaborate on all the PL standard performances by Rodwell as I'm badly struggling to remember them? He looked half decent, composed on the ball, that's about it.

Conway the bit part player replaced by a better player with much better pedigree and experience, absolute nonsense arguement there.

Erm Reed has Johnson and Davenport to step in there, granted Davenport was technically a squad member last year but that's irrelevant when he wasnt available for the most part. Given Reed was often played out wide where he was largely ineffective you could also argue Chapman has replaced him too.

Downing wasnt even a squad member hslf of last season as he was out on loan, when he was here he was hardly a pivotal player. Its just become some weird fantasy with certain people that he was any good, mainly as an excuse for a cheap shot at Mowbray by the cry babies. Regardless of that he WILL be replaced no doubt.

IF Raya goes its unimaginable that he won't be replaced so that's a pointless argument. As it stands he's still in the squad anyway.....

So yeah..    

You said our current squad is better than it was last season. That’s false.

Now you are just posting stuff about cry babies to get likes from the usual crew. Sad.

33 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Some going as far as to compare him to Friedel!? 

I think one person did and they only compared the sales, saying we need to have a replacement lined up like we did in Robbo when Brad left.

I don't recall anyone wanting to sell Raya before these links emerged either, in the second half of last season every second post seemed to be people saying we need experienced competition for him.

• Like 6

The Goalkeeping position is unusual. I don't think it was our downfall last season but I do think with a reasonable amount of cash we could improve on Raya. I've no problem letting him go IF we quickly bring in an experienced alternative. If we start trying to give Leutwiler a chance heads should roll.

Far more important and urgent that we addressed defence and midfield. It is critical that we sign a quality CB who is going to play and not someone to make up the numbers as 'backup'. We need more goals from midfield and less reliance on Graham and Dack so hopefully Johnson and Downing can help but still think we need more.