BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mercer said:

It's not rocket science.

You need a manager who knows the market and is capable of working it.

Wilder and Warnock got Sheff U and Cardiff up with shrewd signings which didn't cost the earth.

IMO, Mowbray has made just one excellent signing (Dack) and in the main, the rest have been in the dross to Joe Average range.

Mowbray had £10million+ last summer and, IMO, blew it big time.  With that sort of investment available, I think we should have been far more consistent, competitive and easy on the eye to watch.  

Based on what Mowbray had done so far, and is likely to do (Raya, Darlow, Downing, Johnson, Gallagher), IMV, there is little to suggest that he's going to turn us into the challenging side he said he would in Blues back in Feb..

Mercer can’t wait to see what job you pick up in the football league with your expert knowledge of all things football! Of course TM knows what he is doing he’s been in footie for 30 or more years as a top pro and decent manager whereas you? 

Raya is not the best keeper around small in stature but good shot stopper he is not a commanding figure and he makes some calamitous decisions as we saw last season costing us points .

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

There isn’t a better keeper in the Championship than Raya. They all make mistakes, the difference being Raya is 23 and will only get better. He was playing behind an absolutely diabolical defence last season, he was bound to make mistakes simply because he was in the constantly in the firing line.

From the managers point of view how many times can you keep cutting him slack for mistakes when it's your head on the block ?   If Raya was signed from Boro was 300k most would say he's shite but being an academy graduate he gets more slack from fans and yes he's still learning on the job and that ain't his fault.

I think the main factor in this is the defence as has been touched on before, Nyambe, Lenihen, Bell and even Williams all young, youngish and all have re-sale potential versus it actually costing money to replace them or some of them with better = never going to happen.

Then that leaves Mulgrew who probably has far too much influence in the dressing room and a manager who has too much faith in him and is terrified of getting rid or sidelining him on the wages he's on.   Wouldn't read too much into him being dropped at the end of last season at all  " Hey Charlie you know how we need to get some mins in some youngsters ?  Well I need to chop the team around a bit and you've had a long hard season and have summer internationals coming up so how about a good rest first son ? "   -- "Ok boss, sound".

Mowbrays answer rather than get defenders is beef up the middle, probably try and play tighter and maybe change the keeper especially after they appear to have fallen out. Not saying I agree but not many seem to be considering Rayas part in this ?

Maybe he wants away, fancies London, doesn't like his current boss.  All at a club looking for income to spend, not exactly going to stand in his way are they.

Just now, The Axe said:

There's a report from Brentford that both the manager and the goalkeeping coach wanted rid of Bentley because there was always a mistake in him. And if you don't value the opinion of that goalkeeping coach you need to check out his CV.

I haven't questioned his CV, in my opinion, when I've seen him play he looked better than Raya. And the fact is Raya always has a mistake in him! 

Bentley was only one of the GKs I mentioned so my point still stands.

Just now, Hi Mack said:

I haven't questioned his CV, in my opinion, when I've seen him play he looked better than Raya. And the fact is Raya always has a mistake in him! 

Bentley was only one of the GKs I mentioned so my point still stands.

All I'm pointing out is that an eminently qualified expert has a contrary view. 

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

You said our current squad is better than it was last season. That’s false.

Now you are just posting stuff about cry babies to get likes from the usual crew. Sad.

Yes, our current squad is better than last seasons. That's not false, it's my opinion and I know for a fact I'm not alone in having it.

Who's the usual crew? People who don't whine constantly you mean?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, The Axe said:

There's a report from Brentford that both the manager and the goalkeeping coach wanted rid of Bentley because there was always a mistake in him. And if you don't value the opinion of that goalkeeping coach you need to check out his CV.

If that's their rationale for getting rid of Bentley and replacing him with Raya then I find that truly baffling. Raya epitomises that type of keeper.

Seems to me it's the right time for us to part ways - probably best for both sides to be honest. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ossydave said:

Yes, our current squad is better than last seasons. That's not false, it's my opinion and I know for a fact I'm not alone in having it.

I’d say if we replace Raya with better and buy a centre half, yes. We are getting better and it’s evident we have plans in place to bring in a number of players permanently. 

It’s not been a bad window so far 

• Like 2

Just now, yeti-dog said:

If that's their rationale for getting rid of Bentley and replacing him with Raya then I find that truly baffling. Raya epitomises that type of keeper.

Seems to me it's the right time for us to part ways - probably best for both sides to be honest. 

Suspect you are right on all counts and that Raya might be the main beneficiary. My interpretation is that some people with inside knowledge believe that the Rovers have not got the best out of Raya and that they blame them more than the keeper.

• Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I’d say if we replace Raya with better and buy a centre half, yes. We are getting better and it’s evident we have plans in place to bring in a number of players permanently. 

Too early for an any kind of assessment imo. I'm not overly enamoured with either signing so far. A big, nasty centre back that likes heading the ball and a boringly steady keeper  will make me change my mind.

Edited by deryck guyler's spoon
  • Like 6

Just now, The Axe said:

All I'm pointing out is that an eminently qualified expert has a contrary view. 

To be fair we probably had a better keeper coaching set up than now under Bowyer and they saw wisdom in not only bringing in Steele Boros 3rd choice to replace ex England and vastly experienced Robinson but actually paid a fee as well.

I reckon in Rayas case he's been here an eternity, he's done well up to a point but stalled and a change of scene and different approach could kick start that again so they reckon he's worth a punt.  Just because Rovers seem terrified in investing a few million here and there in potential with first team experience doesn't mean other clubs are it's chicken feed in todays money.

I doubt Brentford go down the over 30's big wage route very often or carrying deadwood eating up their budgets.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

How anyone can say its weaker is beyond me when we've only lost Downing really, yes that colossus of a BRFCS myth who's ended up in league one, again.

With regards to Rodwell, I'm guessing they've had a chat and getting him tied down isn't (and rightly so) a priority.

The player probably wants to weigh up his options and see if anyone makes him an offer, and Mowbray will see who else he manages to bring in. If in a few weeks time Rodwell is still looking for a deal we should be able to get him that bit cheaper, if he goes elsewhere so be it.

• Like 1

Just now, The Axe said:

Suspect you are right on all counts and that Raya might be the main beneficiary. My interpretation is that some people with inside knowledge believe that the Rovers have not got the best out of Raya and that they blame them more than the keeper.

He should've been out on loan again instead of sat on our bench, piss poor that was.

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Is he that good? I've not seen much of him, can you tell me what we will be getting?

You'd be getting a 6"5-6"6 defender who's been brought up to play out from the back. Got one of the highest amount of assists in league football. Still relatively young. Good discipline. Fantastic attitude.

• Like 1

Just now, Ossydave said:

How anyone can say its weaker is beyond me when we've only lost Downing really, yes that colossus of a BRFCS myth who's ended up in league one

It is a weaker defence because we've lost players and havent signed any, yet.

It's simple. It isn't as strong because two backup options have gone. It isn't stronger because they haven't been replaced with better, yet. So it is weaker. If the season started tomorrow we have the same defence as last year but without the same backup. Weaker.

• Like 1

Just now, Swanson said:

Seems like the replacement is ready made - our own Andy Fisher, at least for today’s Barrow match 

what sort of money did we recoup for Raya? 800 grand with add ons and clauses rising to 3mil?

Edited by Tugay's Right Foot

Just now, Swanson said:

Absolutely disgraceful decision.

Bar Johnson losing Reed and Raya has weekend us. Mowbray has run out of ideas and fans are running out of patience with him.

Like we will attract a better keeper than Raya with age and potential to get better. 

• Like 3

Just now, Tugay's Right Foot said:

Seems like the replacement is ready made - our own Andy Fisher.

what sort of money did we recoup for Raya? 800 grand with add ons and clauses rising to 3mil?

Fisher had a nightmare on loan below the conference shipping goals for fun

Just now, Tugay's Right Foot said:

Seems like the replacement is ready made - our own Andy Fisher, at least for today’s Barrow match 

Thought it was 3 million to 5 million. 

This idea of keeping Raya whilst also signing an experienced keeper for him to learn from is great in theory - and I’m sure Mowbray would have liked to do that too - but it ignores that, for it to be successful, Raya would have to be happy to go from being number 1 every week to sitting on the bench for the majority of at least 1 season. 

In reality that’s unlikely and therefore it’s probably better to cash in - and get some money to fund the experienced keeper who won’t come cheap - than keep a player who is unhappy and will affect team morale etc

• Like 3

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Erm

Bollocks 

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Name one.

My left one's James Westfall, and my right one's Dr. Kenneth Noisewater.

• Like 1