BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Does mowbray only sign  midfielders like what is actually going on here 

Very true, major weakness was the defence and, after missing out on a couple of defenders, we have sold our number 1. Need to get them in soon to get them to gel in time for the new season

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Weird. Goes against all my instinct...unless it is some kind of pay-as- you- play deal.

In all fairness, I guess we won't be able to judge until all the ins and outs are complete.

Could we be about to shift Evans, for instance? There has to be a goalie/centre half lined up...doesn't there?...Sorry, delusions of normalcy!

Fret not, young Leonard. The ad will be in the LT jobs page on Thursday.

• Like 4

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

He asked for the move. No point keeping a player not happy working for the team.

Well, don't you think it is at least possible that his "convenient" request was a direct consequence of TM's actions/statements?

Time will tell if this turns out to have been good management. Right now, I feel that Raya was not yet reliable enough to be our number 1...

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 3

Just now, Swanson said:

Don't much about this guy, but he plays in the same position as Evans and Smallwood?

I think he plays further forward tbh. A friend of mine I think managed him. Iv just asked the question...let’s see what he’s says.

• Like 1

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Well, don't you think it is at least possible that his "convenient" request was a direct consequence of TM's actions/statements?

Time will tell if this turns out to have been good management. Right now, I feel that Raya was not yet reliable enough be our number 1...

Definitely think it was but it happened and we are stuck with TM which is another debate.

As you say, time will tell.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

What say ye now chaps?

Still just getting fit?

Obviously it has moved on a bit, and I stand by my comment that he's a much better bet than Evans or Smallwood, but reading between the lines I don't think it's a signing we'll make.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Sounds like Mowbray has confirmed that wont be happening. 

I don’t believe anything said, just wait to see things happen, there will be something in it, he seems to play everything down recently, said nothing imminent day before Johnson signed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cherry Blue said:

Hearing that Raya wanted to go makes me feeling a little easier. He made some poor decisions and that must have affected the team's confidence. However, why did he want to go? Did he see it that we are a team going nowhere or was the pressure too much IF we are now going into first gear? 

1. Played behind a shyte defence.  We were ripped open time and time again - what do you think that did for Raya's confidence?
  2. IMO, Benson incapable of giving Raya the coaching and learnings to assist his development and make him a better player
  3. Think Mowbray made him a scapegoat.  IMO, Bennett should metaphorically been blasted out the club - a joke of a right back yet can't recall Mowbray ever criticising

If you were Raya, would you want to stay?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

If he did, IMO, he would never have done the Brereton £7million+ deal.  Full stop.

Thing is he hasn’t spent £7m has he it’s a deal with increments Merc and when people accept this they can move in

• Like 1

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Thing is he hasn’t spent £7m has he it’s a deal with increments Merc and when people accept this they can move in

You keep saying this yet won’t prove any evidence.

We’ve paid 5 million already as a downpayment, shown in last years accounts. In all likelihood the rest will follow in instalments.

So it will be 7 million, as confirmed by Mowbray too.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

I don’t know what everyone’s problem is with Raya moving on, he ain’t that good in fact I think he’s a poor keeper.

his agility at shot stopping is good , but the rest of his abilities are crap.

there much better out there and there free , I myself would love to see hart come here , I think he’d be cracking in the championship.

• Like 1

ADAM is 34 and made 12 apps last season. He is on decline, no Thanks.

Downing and Johnson were regulars at their clubs last season, huge difference.

wasnt Butterfield at Bradford last season getting relegated?

Edited by neophox
  • Like 1

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Doesn't wash.

Rovers committed to £7million+ with Brereton's wages over his 4 (?) year contract on top.

I understand the 'down payment' was in the £4 to £5million range, instalments over the next two years up to £7million plus extras for appearances etc.  Others on here have also muted similar figures.

As for wages, /Brereton's agent would no doubt have negotiated wages commensurate with a £7+million player.

Fans on here trying to downplay Brereton's fee and wages need to get real.

Just now, Mercer said:

Doesn't wash.

Rovers committed to £7million+ with Brereton's wages over his 4 (?) year contract on top.

I understand the 'down payment' was in the £4 to £5million range, instalments over the next two years up to £7million plus extras for appearances etc.  Others on here have also muted similar figures.

As for wages, /Brereton's agent would no doubt have negotiated wages commensurate with a £7+million player.

Fans on here trying to downplay Brereton's fee and wages need to get real.

Yea, and fans who compare any signing over 30 to Murphy and Etuhu need a memory test! 

• Like 1

Cast your minds back to that Feb night in Blues when Mowbray talked the talk.

If I recall correctly, talked about bringing in 5 players who would make a real difference including a big ugly centre half.  Said clear some of current players not up to it and they would fall off the wagon / train.  Talked about Brereton becoming a £15 to £20million footballer.

IF Mowbray had said that night our first moves would be to sell Raya and bring in Downing, Johnson and now possibly Adams, I think he would have been metaphorically lynched.

Been saying for a long time that Mowbray, IMO, is not the man to take us forward.  I think it's clearer by the day he's simply not up to the job.  Can talk the talk but sadly, IMO, can't walk the walk.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

So far then.  Two out of contract midfielders in the twilight of their careers have signed.  Possibly a third (Adam) and another midfielder (Butterworth) is allegedly on trial.  This is to add to Evans, Smallwood, Travis, Davenport, Buckley and Bennett who we already have in that position and nobody wants to buy.

We've sold our number 1 keeper (which is ok because he wanted to leave) without lining up a replacement, Decided that defence isn't a problem anymore and are looking at spending any money we have playing moneyball with a striker because last year's didn't work out. 

Have I missed anything?

Not really. Just to add a bit of meat on the bones the two players we've signed have a combined age of 67 and the two 'on trial" have a combined age of 61. All will be free transfers and most recently Butterfield got relegated from League 1 whilst out on loan at Bradford. Adam's most recent claims to fame are relegation from the Premier League and then being part of a Stoke squad that subsequently underperformed very badly in the Championship.

Up front we appear to be targeting a striker who's never scored more than 11 League goals in a season and who was part of a squad that got us relegated the last time he was here.

On the Raya issue, surely no-one can defend him being sold without a replacement already having been lined up and secured.

Can they?

• Like 1

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Oh come on.  He was hardly kicking off.  Get the replacement in, then let him go.  

So season's not started and phone rings with a possible £3m offer?? 

"If we get a replacement Ill get back to you...."

25 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

He asked for the move. No point keeping a player not happy working for the team.

Oh, right then.

So if Dack and Lenihan suddenly express a desire to move as well we have to just step aside, rip up their contracts and wave them on their merry way with our blessings?

I bet they'll be glad to hear that.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Oh, right then.

So if Dack and Lenihan suddenly express a desire to move as well we have to just step aside, rip up their contracts and wave them on their merry way with our blessings?

I bet they'll be glad to hear that.

Finally we nearly agree. If Raya Wanted out, we shouldve told him to F off. Sit on the bench.

The problem with that from a business point of view - in 12 months he might be worth nothing!

40 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Does mowbray only sign  midfielders like what is actually going on here 

This close season seems to be starting to mirror  the last one in terms of stockpiling (average) midfielders.

I'm sure we calculated we had 15 midfielders available before the start of last season.

• Like 1

If this was after the transfer window closed then sure we can gripe about a number of things. 

However thus far, we have lost Reed, Conway and Rodwell. 

Replaced with Downing, Johnson and possibly Adam. I would argue that the three are upgrades from the ones we lost (Reed was decent first half of season and not so great in second half) 

We need a new keeper, a new centre half and a striker. I'm waiting until the end of the window but not dissatisfied thus far. 

• Like 5