BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

As I said Friday, we have deals in place for three keepers ranging from loans with high wages to free transfers. I think we will have one by Wednesday. Darlow was never a go-er as I said due to Newcastle’s current situation manager wise. 

Gallagher deciding over weekend between us and Wigan, will be decided tomorrow who he has chosen.

i don’t believe the dann links have much substance. But we are working on a prem league defender loan and we are far down the road on that one. 

Adams wasn’t a consideration until mowbray liked what he saw in training and now considering. 

Smallwood has league one options and there Looks to be another slightly unexpected departure. Few might be as miffed as raya with that one. 

I still wish there was a move for Lowe or Maddison but nothing yet. 

Just now, Mercer said:

I'd heave kept my cheque book closed for BOTH.

If Mowbray and his team can't do better with £12million+ then time they were cleared out.

Why is it, whenever i read your posts Mercer it's always full of negatives?

Do you have a good thing to say about anything? or anyone?

• Like 1

Just now, unsall said:

Think folk getting confused with the budget, if it’s a 10 mil budget that doesn’t mean we can spend the 10 mil on transfer fees, it could be signing half a dozen on frees or more likely a mixture of transfer fees and freebies, all depends on wages.

Well seen as comments that have come out of the club, mention a similar budget to last season, when £10million was spent on transfer fees, and there was supposedly more leftover in january, its feasible that people assume £10 million minimum will be available on fees.

• Backroom
Just now, Biz said:

Will the next one pick up a Dack or Rothwell for pittance though?

You know this already, but the fact that good championship/ average premier league players can cost 20m says our outlay in the current climate is “poultry”...

The Dack one baffles me a bit. Had been League 1 player of the season, clearly has natural talent, scores goals and creates assists. Bizarre that nobody else came in for him before us. I do seem to recall Gillingham turned down a bid the season before we came in for him which was something like £2m? But even so you'd have thought a Championship club would have taken a chance on him. Their loss was our gain though.

Rothwell, whilst talented, sat out most of last season due to the manager's paralysing cautiousness, so we'll see if Mowbray can get the best out of him. I'm still sceptical at the moment. I can see it being another Nyambe situation where the smallest mistake sends Rothwell to the bench whilst the old faithful trudge around the pitch. I very much hope I'm wrong on that one though. Mowbray needs to show that he learned from last season and is willing to take more risks with team selection and overall style of play.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

If I thought we could get some real use out of him i'd have no qualms he's a good player and always has been but the fact he's been struggling with a calf injury then released by Stoke and is now going around asking for trials waves the red flag a bit.

I'd take him over Evans any day of the week but not sure he'd be a shoe in for that spot even if he was fit more likely end up a right or left side substitute.

Ya, I actually liked him over the years as well. I would hope that if we do make an offer, serious due diligence will be shown by the medical team during his medical. 

It seems Stoke fans wanted him to stay. 

On the trials thing. I actually say fair play to him. Some players with his cv would think it beneath them to have to come and basically audition for a deal 

• Like 1

Thinking about some of the names being linked with us it is striking how many have played for us before (Hanley, Dann, Gallagher..) 

It would be nice if the net was thrown out a bit wider. It's starting to feel like a strange footballing Groundhog day type approach to getting people in. 

There's so much more out there than just guys who used to play for us.

I was always told you should never go back (granted it was in relation to not going back out with ex's) but I think there's a lot to be said for taking that same approach in terms of footballing philosophy.

• Like 2

Just now, yeti-dog said:

Just been reading the story on Raya to Brentford on the BBC site and was struck by the bit I've pasted below. 

"Head Coach Thomas Frank told the club website: "He is a very good goalkeeper and fits the profile of player that we want at Brentford.

"He can play out from the back and is happy covering the space in behind, allowing us to play with a high line."

I've bolded the last sentence as I'm flummoxed. I never saw this Raya playing for us. Do you think their scouting department have dropped a bollock and got him mixed up with another keeper?

Considering he has the worst distribution ive seen from any keeper, it is rather baffling.

• Like 2

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

As I said Friday, we have deals in place for three keepers ranging from loans with high wages to free transfers. I think we will have one by Wednesday. Darlow was never a go-er as I said due to Newcastle’s current situation manager wise. 

Gallagher deciding over weekend between us and Wigan, will be decided tomorrow who he has chosen.

i don’t believe the dann links have much substance. But we are working on a prem league defender loan and we are far down the road on that one. 

Adams wasn’t a consideration until mowbray liked what he saw in training and now considering. 

Smallwood has league one options and there Looks to be another slightly unexpected departure. Few might be as miffed as raya with that one. 

Now you can't just say that and leave us hanging. 

Do not say Nyambe. I think people would be far more miffed over that. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
Just now, yeti-dog said:

Just been reading the story on Raya to Brentford on the BBC site and was struck by the bit I've pasted below. 

"Head Coach Thomas Frank told the club website: "He is a very good goalkeeper and fits the profile of player that we want at Brentford.

"He can play out from the back and is happy covering the space in behind, allowing us to play with a high line."

I've bolded the last sentence as I'm flummoxed. I never saw this Raya playing for us. Do you think their scouting department have dropped a bollock and got him mixed up with another keeper?

It's strange that Brentford could have ascertained this considering Raya literally never played like this for us as it has never been our style of play. All evidence points to the opposite being true. You do wonder if they've just linked "spanish keeper" and "play out from the back" and gone from there. They might be in for a bit of a shock when they see his distribution up close.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I actually liked him over the years as well. I would hope that if we do make an offer, serious due diligence will be shown by the medical team during his medical. 

It seems Stoke fans wanted him to stay. 

On the trials thing. I actually say fair play to him. Some players with his cv would think it beneath them to have to come and basically audition for a deal 

Mowbray says that Adam contacted him and asked to train with the squad so it doesn't seem like a trial. I agree with your assessment of him as a player but I don't think he's what we need and I doubt there's much in his legs at our level anyway.

It better not be Travis or I will slide completely over the edge

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Rochdale_rover said:

Scott Dann we apparently want back 

The season we went down, Dann scored 5 own goals- more than any other player in any top division in Europe that season.

Somebody might want Dann back. 

We are in deepest smelly stuff if Rovers want him back.

• Like 1

So Raya's replacement is going to be either a loan or free agent, and we aren't looking like spending money on any defenders. As expected 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

What makes you think it’s scattergun? So far it would seem that we’ve signed two and missed out on two (Maher and Bauer). The rest appear to be a combination of agents and journo’s surmising. There are a few worrying about the order of those signings as if clubs won’t move on their second priority signing until they’ve signed the first. 

The signings happen when the players become available.

I listed several reasons why it seems to be all over the place. For one example only a few months ago defenders were the priority so said Mowbray. From his words it's safe to assume that his main focus for scouting and recruiting would have been in that area. In the interim he has decided that defenders now aren't the priority as he wants to play a more passing game. That is perhaps why he has signed Downing and Johnson but I don't think they would have been on his radar when he made his comments about signing defenders. 

All through his tenure here I have never been comfortable that he has a defined way of playing as he constantly changed systems and played players out of position. His transfer policy seems to me to reflect his indecision in his playing style.

• Like 1

With regard to the Dann link.  I personally don’t believe there is anything in it and it’s our friend Nixon making up stories again.

However, if it does happen to be true, we should not be too harsh on him because when he was here before didn’t he get injured with a ruptured testicle (ouch) and don’t forget it was at a time we where buying the likes of Ribero, Bradley Orr, and Myles Anderson etc. Whilst leaving Salgado to kick his heels.

Dont really blame him for not seeing him at his best.

• Backroom
Just now, philipl said:

If Gallagher wants a pretty certain starting position, going to Wigan is a no brainer for him.

He won't get one at Rovers.

He might get a slot on the right wing.

47 minutes ago, tomphil said:

No time for Dann either another who just used the club and was a project of Kean and co I heard some stuff about that deal around the time that left another bad taste.

Came here unfit, to get fit and move which he did and his form only improved here when he was told scouts from a few clubs were watching him now he was fully fit again. Then bingo he gets sold.

So no thanks non of this is moving us forwards its beginning to resemble a desperate attempt to stop us going backwards again.

Yep. I haven't "moved on" either...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Nyambe ?

52 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not sure what that means though, does that include wages?

The £10m that we spent (or didn’t spend depending on who you believe about the Brereton fee) last Summer really has muddied the waters.

I’ll be amazed if we spend £10m this Summer. We have had to sell Raya before we can bring in a replacement.

Mowbray also reckoned he had money left from the August and January windows. If his budget is similar to last season this money has either been included in this year's (in which case his budget is less) or he has more than last season. Unless the Indians withdrew it..................

• Like 1

Just now, philipl said:

The season we went down, Dann scored 5 own goals- more than any other player in any top division in Europe that season.

Somebody might want Dann back. 

We are in deepest smelly stuff if Rovers want him back.

Correct, good player when fit and arsed but he was another stinker at rovers imo.

Just now, pomster said:

Why is it, whenever i read your posts Mercer it's always full of negatives?

Do you have a good thing to say about anything? or anyone?

Bickering is not allowed.

With regards Mowbray, ignore what he says (which is only to please the fans) and watch what he does. So far we've signed 2 players at the tail end of their careers and he's now apparently considering Adam. So that appears to be the direction we're going - (very) experienced old pros who won't cost much money.  

• Like 3