BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Danny Graham is still going to be the main man up top.

If we sign gallagher our 3 big recent singings have been 7mil, 5 mil and 3 mil for arma. All 3 will be riding the bench or at best played out of position on the wing

Im usually a glass half full type of guy, but its hard to put any kind of positive spin on dealings like that

Edited by FGS5635
  • Like 6

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

That's where I am.

Reading between the lines he'd like to be here and we'd like to have him, but the boy will be 24 in a couple of months. If we had a bottomless pit of money he could well develop to be worth more than that in a couple of years, but the odds don't seem great to me. 

We could buy a whole new defence & keeper with that kind of money. GK & 2 defenders before we should even be thinking of anyone upfront.

• Like 2

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Danny Graham is still going to be the main man up top.

If we sign gallagher our 3 big recent singings have been 7mil, 5 mil and 3 mil for arma. All 3 will be riding the bench or at best played out of position on the wing

Im usually a glass half full type of guy, but its hard to put any kind of positive spin on dealings like that

I thought AA was cheaper than that? £1.odd million guaranteed was what I have in my head, could be wrong though. To be fair I still think £3million will turn out to be good business, can have quiet games but he contributed well last year imo. Will only get better too. 

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

We could buy a whole new defence & keeper with that kind of money. GK & 2 defenders before we should even be thinking of anyone upfront.

I think we could get away with just the one extra centre back of the right quality but other than that I agree completely. Much easier to get a promising forward on loan from a top-flight club than a reliable defender. 

• Like 1

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Agreed. Mowbray must have a keeper lined up.

I've a strong inclination that TM is going to re-invent his 3 at the back experiment, with 2 of Williams, Magloire, Nyambe or Mulgrew partnering Lenihan.

Just a tad worried but hope it's unduly so.

21 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Gallagher will be off to Wigan I suspect don’t think we have the cash for him. Heard from various people the deals proving hard to do

You may be right. If we really wanted Gallagher and he wanted to come to Rovers ( as reported ) then surely it would have been easy to finalise a deal by now if we had the cash ready.  

The fact that it hasn't happened means that Mowbray isn't entirely convinced he's the right choice or there are problems with Rovers offer to the player / Southampton. 

Alternatively Mowbray is waiting for the nod from Pune. 

Now that Wigan have made a firm offer we will have to enter a bidding war which can only be bad news.

Snooze and you lose.

Edited by Crimpshrine

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I thought AA was cheaper than that? £1.odd million guaranteed was what I have in my head, could be wrong though. To be fair I still think £3million will turn out to be good business, can have quiet games but he contributed well last year imo. Will only get better too. 

You many be right, it may rise to 3 mil eventually. Even at 1.5 mil its a lot for us these days for a striker that will probably start more games on the bench than in the starting 11.

• Like 1

Just now, darrenrover said:

Agreed. Mowbray must have a keeper lined up.

I've a strong inclination that TM is going to re-invent his 3 at the back experiment, with 2 of Williams, Magloire, Nyambe or Mulgrew partnering Lenihan.

Just a tad worried but hope it's unduly so.

I suspected he'd revert back to that this year also, but then surely he'd have played at least one half that way in the 1st pre season game, which by all accounts he didnt. So I suspect thats not his plan

32 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The handling of that was strange. I don't know why Raya was sent for the operation asap if he was going to need it at some point. We weren't fighting relegation or chasing the play offs. 

The injury happened in October, you couldnt possbly justify such a stance at that time, the delay seemed the only realistic option especially considering how crap our number 2 keeper is.

The defence & goal-keeping situation look dire at the moment. Given that Lenihan(comfortably our best defender)is somewhat injury prone we really need two central defenders plus one goalie and AT LEAST 2 full-backs.Yet Mowbray has spent(wasted?)high wages on 2 midfield oldsters-Downing & Johnson and is apparently after Gallagher for £5 million. The defence has been ignored completely so far cos no convenient freebies are available.

Ben Gibson is a top dollar defender(even if a Dingle)so its strange they are trying to get rid so quickly.He even scored for them last season although making virtually no appearances. With his Middlesborough connection Mowbray must have seen this. Unfortunately I cant see us getting him|(even on loan)given the wage issue. I just hope we dont get Hart instead.That would worry me no end. Theres time to go yet,but as things are shaping up,with a new goalie and  4 defenders required we have a problem. Any one think Smallwood could be converted to an emergency centre-half or Ben Brereton to a full-back,cos the squad looks as unbalanced as it did in Gary Bowyers time with maybe about15 midfielders!

Just now, FGS5635 said:

You many be right, it may rise to 3 mil eventually. Even at 1.5 mil its a lot for us these days for a striker that will probably start more games on the bench than in the starting 11.

It will be interesting to see if he is considered a starter next season. I would like to see him there and for him to kick on, but bringing in Downing (which I'm not against, in principle) could mean it's him on one side and Rothwell on the other.

Something which stood out to me last season was how many times AA hit the post/bar when cutting in from the left. Seems like he ad the same curse as Kalinic had when he was here! Still managed a healthy goal/assist return though, I think there are certain deals which can definitely be debated, BB being the obvious one, but I'm very confident that when we all come to judge TM's time at Rovers, bringing Armstrong in will be seen as a good move for the money we paid. 

• Like 2

TBH everyone is missing a trick here. Our best keeper from last season is still on the books and not looking like getting a game in centre mid anymore.

Also a big TM favourite. Our new keeper is Smallwood people

Look Raya was poorer  last season and 3million in January  and i would have drove him there  my self . The one worry is whose  coming in for him its very quiet  wake up big T get somebody  in

After the bad Brereton deal I just cant see us getting another unproven striker in Gally. Really hope the Assombalonga deal is something working on as he is a proven striker but there will be many takers on him surely.

35 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Gallagher will be off to Wigan I suspect don’t think we have the cash for him. Heard from various people the deals proving hard to do

In fairness that doesn't necessarily mean we can't afford it. Could just mean we don't think he's worth what we're being charged. I certainly don't think he is worth more than about 3 million. I don't want us to pay more than that for him whether we have the money or not.

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Aye, womens teams. Lightweight and galaxies behind citeh kids

So our most talked about youth player is galaxies behind the youth players of a youth team we finished above?

Unless you're talking about the ones they don't use in their youth team anymore, like Foden, that doesn't seem right.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Unless something changes, Armstrong is pretty much already a starter?

He started 70% of our league games last year and didn't make a matchday squad where he didn't get on the pitch at least for a few minutes.

He's proving great value for me.

• Like 1

So Pontus Jannsen has just signed for Brentford - baffling really that not only were we not seemingly all over that (they turned down 12 million for him in January, was in team of the season) but not many others were either. Seems a number of clubs dont have the funds (FFP?) this season?  

Other rumors, Kemar Roofe is being pushed out at Elland Road as well, would he be a better bet for 5 million?

• Like 2

Just now, JacknOry said:

So Pontus Jannsen has just signed for Brentford - baffling really that not only were we not seemingly all over that (they turned down 12 million for him in January, was in team of the season) but not many others were either. Seems a number of clubs dont have the funds (FFP?) this season?  

Other rumors, Kemar Roofe is being pushed out at Elland Road as well, would he be a better bet for 5 million?

As someone else has said, if it was Gallagher for 5 or Roofe it would be Roofe all day long.

Edited by Butty
  • Like 4

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Mate, nobody is talking about him except us. Delusional..

Except Mowbray, Liverpool, Everton and Man Utd if this article is to be belived.....

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/18/tt-mowbray-tips-19-year-old-for-exciting-backburn-future-despite/

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-liverpool-everton-and-man-utd-on-the-tail-of-blackburn-ace

Edited by briansol

• Moderation Lead
Just now, JacknOry said:

I think we’ve really missed a trick there with Jansson. Would have been exactly what we need at centre half.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The only reason Benson is first team keeper coach is that it was part of the deal Mowbray accepted when Mowbray took the job.

What? Where did you hear that? Must be the strangest condition to impose on an incoming manager I've ever heard of.

"You can have the job Tony, but only if you don't replace the goalkeeping coach who never played as a pro goalie. I know it'll be tempting so you need to promise. Hm? Yes you can sell promising young goalkeepers and buy new keepers until you get one who doesn't need coaching, sure."

Sounds very dodgy if true.

Edited by bluebruce