BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mattyblue said:

You can’t have one summer where you ONLY bring in English lads under 25 and then another where a load of 33+ are signed. 

Its muddled, panicked thinking.

Is it?

Firstly I’d be waiting till August before ever getting near that judgement, secondly I’d be trying my best to hope nobody mentions the promising u23 keeper we’ve already signed.

If there’s one thing I agree with Nixon on, the market is mental. It’s not a simple process - for example many signings react to a big one ie when/if Maguire leaves Leicester, will they sign Tarkowski or Duffy, then who would the replacement at their club be etc!

We are in a position that seems obvious to me - a decent amount to spend a season but not in the same wage ball park as many - who could blame the owners for keeping that side down after the way they had been stung previously!

I just think the notion that they’ve completely changed tact because BB underwhelmed is another pointless criticism or negative suggestion without basis! 

• Like 1

Yes it is.

Because we needed a Johnson last season. However, the £7million for BB would not have been available for a couple of established, older Championship players. As that was not the ‘model’ all that time ago.

6 months later it’s ‘here and now’. Which is fine with me, as this club cannot ‘slow build’ in this league, but let’s not pretend we are operating like a club with a coherent plan.

Edited by Mattyblue

Yes it is.

Because we needed a Johnson last season. However, the £7million for BB would not have been available for a couple of established, older Championship players. As that was not the ‘model’ all that time ago.

6 months later it’s ‘here and now’. Which is fine with me, as this club cannot ‘slow build’ in this league, but let’s not pretend the club is in any way operating like a club with a credible plan.

Mate, you must remember that we went for plenty of more established lads last summer and lost out, you should remember why also. Plus, had no idea Rodwell was one for the future..

You've also the fact we had just left the third tier. I know we are biased and see no negative reasons for signing at Rovers, but you can understand at that time or in that climate Bamford and McGinn would’ve always picked Leeds and Villa!

I think the fact Johnson was free this summer (like Rodwell) made it a wage we could pay - doesn’t this seem like more of our limitations coming in to play? As opposed to some bungled change of philosophy?

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Definitely not.

Might about  be on a par with John Butcher and Alan Fettis as the worst keepers I've seen imo.

Think you could add John Barton and Matt Dickins to that list.

Biz. I’m not sure what you are even carrying this on for. I’ve told you that I’m glad the club is now thinking of the ‘here and now’.  But the policy of signing predominantly young English talent has obviously been changed, if that’s ‘bungled’ or not, time will tell. A stupid policy to start with, for me.

But it’s about time, and hopefully this is the last we will be hearing of the nonsense  ‘slow build’. 

Edited by Mattyblue

58 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

LT saying door still open for Rodwell.  TM having his pants pulled down by that lad.  Move on.

We are really, really desperate if that's the case.

Biz. I’m not sure what you are even carrying this on for. I’ve told you that I’m glad the club is now thinking of the ‘here and now’.  But the policy of signing predominantly young English talent has obviously been changed, if that’s ‘bungled’ or not, time will tell. A stupid policy to start with, for me.

But it’s about time, and hopefully this is the last we will be hearing of the nonsense  ‘slow build’. 

I’m carrying this on because I disagree with your original statement and assertion.

Plus - How is throwing nearly 10m at your squad a “slow build”?

• Backroom
Just now, Biz said:

I’m carrying this on because I disagree with your original statement and assertion.

Plus - How is throwing nearly 10m at your squad a “slow build”?

When you only get two players out of it when there were so many other positions that also needed upgrading then it isn't exactly a fast build tbf. 

10 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Moseley signed for Clough at Derby & Bradshaw went to newly promoted Wolves.

So some nice moves upwards.

Interesting you mentioned Mosely I have vague memories of watching him for Brighton v Utd in the cup final as a kid but i'd no idea until now he started at Rovers.

• Like 1

Because they are developing players, fairly obvious no?

Yea, because to sign first team ready, top level championship players, we’d have to jump in front of several clubs with turnover probably 5 times our own. I would’ve thought that was fairly obvious personally!

Rather than look for reasons to criticise the process we’ve took, isn’t it just as easy to see why certain decisions are made “despite” what our “Plan A” might’ve been?

We hope they become ‘first team ready, top level Championship players’ one day, so ‘spending £10 million’ doesn’t equate to it not being a slow build as your post suggested at all. Just that young English players cost a premium in the market.

As I’ve said, glad they’ve moved away from ‘plan A’, many of us knew it was a daft plan to start with.

Edited by Mattyblue

We hope they become ‘first team ready, top level Championship players’ one day, so ‘spending £10 million’ doesn’t equate to it not being a slow build as your post suggested at all. Just that young English players cost a premium in the market.

As I’ve said, glad they’ve moved away from ‘plan A’, many of us knew it was a daft plan to start with.

I'm not sure transfer policy has changed that much. I'm sure the club prefers to spend most money on young(er) players that potential to grow in valuation like Dack, Rothwell, Armstrong, Bell, Brereton etc. The link to Gallagher fits that profile. We're unlikely to spend premium money on 28-30 players.

Downing for Conway, and Bradley Johnson doesn't change that policy much. We have a young squad in general and several youngster coming through the academy, so it makes sense to look for some more experience. However that should not mean a bunch of 30+. Championship is a young man's game where you need mobility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

So the model of ‘young, English talent ‘ has been thrown out after a season to be replaced by bringing in players in their mid 30s? 

Says to me the club has no strategic thinking at all, we are a million miles away from a Brentford.  And/or the club has been badly burned by the Brereton signing...

I think we could all see we needed more experience after last season. 

Does there have to be a conspiracy about everything? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Joe hart has been a fantastic keeper over the years. 

He has been poor for the last three seasons but overall he has been top draw.

city fans still sing his name.

if he came here and settled he could be a very important player for us. It would be a gamble as three years of poor form doesn’t look great and fill anybody with confidence. 

He would shout and organise a defence that’s for sure. 

I think he would be a good signing personally and taking a step down to the championship I think he would do a similar job to what Robinson did for us.

hes to young to have lost it completely and I think once he got his confidence back he would be a shrewd signing 

• Like 5

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think we could all see we needed more experience after last season. 

Does there have to be a conspiracy about everything? 

Where’s the conspiracy? 

Dysfunctional club still dysfunctional is the crux of it.

• Like 5

• Backroom

To be honest I don't think last season was about lack of experience, it was about a lack of leadership, a lack of defensive quality and a lack of tactical nous from the manager (and repeatedly poor team selections). We had plenty of experience in Mulgrew, Conway, Rodwell, Williams, Evans, Bennett and Graham but none of them are leaders and other than Graham and Mulgrew (for the first few months anyway) there isn't much quality there either.

I don't buy that we must sign older players to sort out last season's problems. It's just an easy way to excuse Mowbray bringing in ageing, cheap players on short-term contracts to fill spaces in the squad because we clearly have very little to play with money wise. 

• Like 3

The only thing I'd say about Hart is that when a poor defence is in front of him he has never really done well. See West Ham and Burnley for that.

He isn't one to really take a big grip of the players, talk them through the game. By all accounts Heaton saved Burnley's season last year and had Hart continued they'd have been in real trouble. Great shot stopper though.

If we bring in the calibre of Joe Hart then I would suggest we'd be a more attractive proposition to defenders, especially young up and coming players. For the sake of my sanity I hope we sign a centre back. How many more windows do we need to go through before fixing our back 4? This is a story way older than Mowbray, it's been seen the takeover. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'm not having that. If Man City put an offer on the table he'd move up north. He's a professional footballer with a short career. You go where the money and best opportunities are

There it is in a nutshell...

25 years ago maybe, but since the dark days of Pune those times are but a long distant memory.

13 hours ago, Stuart said:

That he preferred to start both Evans and Smallwood rather than find a system to incorporate his best XI.

That he thought it a good idea to spout about it in the press in April and all but send Reed back to Southampton.

Well he incorporated Travis into the team, who clearly knew the position and played it the way Tony wanted. Reed is a loanee player, so I'm glad Travis was used there more than Reed anyway! 

• Like 1