BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, JacknOry said:

Well there is also this but not sure how credible:

You'll have to click it as he goes on more about in a sequence of replies.

Not much in that either. Bielsa seems to want total control. Sounds like stuff strong players who want the best do in teams. 

Interesting that Jannsen wanted a move to the premier league, which didn't happen. Maybe he isn't as good as he thinks. 

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Something about the difference between a diagnosis and a hypothesis...

Personally, I just hope TM's statements are poker...e.g. the defence positions are "no longer urgent"...because if not.....

What value is there dissecting the comments of a man asked to speak 5/6 times per week?

Especially when we and he knows that a “we desperately need a GK or CB” comment is likely to put 0s on any potential new signings cost!

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Re the two commonly mentioned names over the past few pages-

Rodwell- I gave him a chance, but now he can do one with having this extended break.

Hart- No, just no. My Dingle mates said that he doesn't talk to his defence and that was the big issue. My God, he'd have to communicate here!

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, Biz said:

What value is there dissecting the comments of a man asked to speak 5/6 times per week?

Especially when we and he knows that a “we desperately need a GK or CB” comment is likely to put 0s on any potential new signings cost!

Probably would have been better not to immediately sell our first choice GK if we were worried about adding 0s to transfer fees!

The fact is everybody knows our defence is shit. They only have to take a look at last season's GA column or watch a match from any time pre-April. Mowbray doesn't need to "play poker" when it comes to us needing defensive reinforcements as it's absolutely obvious that it's necessary, even more so at GK as we literally don't have a first team GK as it stands (anyone with a brain will know Leutwiler is just backup).

None of us know what is going on behind the scenes. We can only assess what has transpired so far and compare to what Mowbray told the fans would be happening at the end of the season. So far defence not strengthened, neither Smallwood nor Evans moved on, our only decent goalkeeper sold and we've recruited a couple of 30+ freebies with another two essentially on trial (Butters technically 29 but sounds like he's already in the mid-30s stage of his career). 

Still some weeks to go until the end of the window but I doubt anybody would have been too pleased a couple of months ago if they'd been told the above would be the extent of our business going into mid-July.

• Moderation Lead

It's really disappointing to see the bickering return, especially after Josh's warning the other day.

During the week,  I only come on here on my lunch at work and it's very frustrating to have to sift through.  

It stops now, or the appropriate action will be taken. Don't say any of you weren't warned....

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 8

25 minutes ago, briansol said:

Had a dig, didn't find anything about a deadline, so you maybe want to provide the link? So much stuff here presented as facts with no sources.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17697020.tony-mowbray-update-on-jack-rodwells-rovers-contract-talks/

No. I saw it, END OFF. Cannot be bothered searching on your behalf, Watching the Cricket. 

10 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Well there is also this but not sure how credible:

You'll have to click it as he goes on more about in a sequence of replies.

Interesting that it mentions Jansson wasn't happy with the Leeds keeper during the earlier part of the season and then later fell out with the replacement.

If he's playing in front of the Raya we saw last season, there could be fireworks.

re rodwell, cant blame both parties for waiting really.

Rodwell is waiting for a better deal, no harm in that its human nature. Its not like he was a starter here every week.

TM clearly likes him as a squad player. He is already intergrated with the squad. Would be a decent signing that could progress further with another season injury free.

He certainly shows flashes of ability at times, but he also looked lost at times which is hardly suprising for someone who has missed so much time playing.

It was a low price gamble last year and I suspect it would be something similar again in the hope that he progresses further

2 hours ago, imy9 said:

Well he incorporated Travis into the team, who clearly knew the position and played it the way Tony wanted. Reed is a loanee player, so I'm glad Travis was used there more than Reed anyway! 

Not sure what relevance that has to Mowbray playing Smallwood and Evans instead of Reed, and putting the latter’s nose out of joint.

Edited by Stuart

Just now, Biz said:

So does selling your keeper without lining up and agreeing a fee for a replacement first!

As regards the window as a whole, all we really have to go on is who's actually come in. On that basis it's been extremely disappointing thus far imo.

And yes there's currently about 3 and a half weeks of the window left but before long the amount of time left in the window is going to be another distinct negative rather than a positive.

Just now, DE. said:

Probably would have been better not to immediately sell our first choice GK if we were worried about adding 0s to transfer fees!

The fact is everybody knows our defence is shit. They only have to take a look at last season's GA column or watch a match from any time pre-April. Mowbray doesn't need to "play poker" when it comes to us needing defensive reinforcements as it's absolutely obvious that it's necessary, even more so at GK as we literally don't have a first team GK as it stands (anyone with a brain will know Leutwiler is just backup).

None of us know what is going on behind the scenes. We can only assess what has transpired so far and compare to what Mowbray told the fans would be happening at the end of the season. So far defence not strengthened, neither Smallwood nor Evans moved on, our only decent goalkeeper sold and we've recruited a couple of 30+ freebies with another two essentially on trial (Butters technically 29 but sounds like he's already in the mid-30s stage of his career). 

Still some weeks to go until the end of the window but I doubt anybody would have been too pleased a couple of months ago if they'd been told the above would be the extent of our business going into mid-July.

I am quite sure the club didn’t want to sell Raya - or at least made the decision based on a number of pros/cons in his future if he wanted to leave. That aspect has definitely thrown an extra spanner into the works, no question.

However - again using comments from “Motormouth Mowbray” he already said he wanted an experienced goalkeeper to come and challenge anyway (before Raya was leaving). Hence why I doubt much has changed.

The fact is he says a lot. I’m more concerned with actions, and despite the glaring necessities - I’m already quite please with Downing and (particularly) Johnson. Regardless of any comments from TM in the LET, I felt our team lacked leaders/nouse at times last season (particularly in the last few minutes of games!) Johnson is particularly the type of “shit” I’ve watched drag teams to 3 points vs us over the years, through quality but mainly a winners attitude.

If we can add a centre-half and GK as a minimum - both first team standard, I would be quietly confident going into the season.

Since most business ends up done towards the back of the window anyway, it’s probably fair to say we’ve done “ok” so far.

• Like 2

When money is tight you leave your buys as late as you can and do your selling as soon as you can.

The savings in wages can be failry significant that way.

Its far from ideal, but its a simple way to reduce costs

Just now, FGS5635 said:

re rodwell, cant blame both parties for waiting really.

Rodwell is waiting for a better deal, no harm in that its human nature. Its not like he was a starter here every week.

TM clearly likes him as a squad player. He is already intergrated with the squad. Would be a decent signing that could progress further with another season injury free.

He certainly shows flashes of ability at times, but he also looked lost at times which is hardly suprising for someone who has missed so much time playing.

It was a low price gamble last year and I suspect it would be something similar again in the hope that he progresses further

What deters me from Rodwell isn't so much that he is making us wait (bit annoying but understandable to a degree), it's that he's popped himself off on an extended holiday at this time of year. He's entitled to if he wants, it's just that it shows a woeful attitude towards truly fixing his career. He should have had his hols earlier and be training with us, like everyone else who didn't have international commitments. A couple of other out of contract players we've never owned are managing it.

Just a sign of a man who isn't bothered anymore, I hope we swerve him.

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

So does selling your keeper without lining up and agreeing a fee for a replacement first!

As regards the window as a whole, all we really have to go on is who's actually come in. On that basis it's been extremely disappointing thus far imo.

And yes there's currently about 3 and a half weeks of the window left but before long the amount of time left in the window is going to be another distinct negative rather than a positive.

Again - the decision to recruit a goalkeeper came out in an TM comment in April or May didn’t it?

Its hard to believe that they are literally scouring lists at the last minute when noises (and lets be honest, David’s performances) pointed out the need for a new GK months ago.

Equally - the cash for Raya might have pushed us on from a free signing for that position to a more expensive investment. 

As I said to DE, it’s difficult to be too upset when we all know most of the business ends up in chains towards the end of the window.

August 1st, many premier league clubs start to announce their squads. Is it so hard to imagine that many decisions might be on hold till then? 

Just now, bluebruce said:

What deters me from Rodwell isn't so much that he is making us wait (bit annoying but understandable to a degree), it's that he's popped himself off on an extended holiday at this time of year. He's entitled to if he wants, it's just that it shows a woeful attitude towards truly fixing his career. He should have had his hols earlier and be training with us, like everyone else who didn't have international commitments. A couple of other out of contract players we've never owned are managing it.

Just a sign of a man who isn't bothered anymore, I hope we swerve him.

Thats a fair point.

We dont know what he's been doing to be fair, but I'd imagine TM does. If he still wants to sign him then he must be happy with the situation.

TM seems to value graft above any other attribue really, so I cant imagine him wanting rodwell if he doubted his desire

• Backroom
Just now, Biz said:

I am quite sure the club didn’t want to sell Raya - or at least made the decision based on a number of pros/cons in his future if he wanted to leave. That aspect has definitely thrown an extra spanner into the works, no question.

However - again using comments from “Motormouth Mowbray” he already said he wanted an experienced goalkeeper to come and challenge anyway (before Raya was leaving). Hence why I doubt much has changed.

The fact is he says a lot. I’m more concerned with actions, and despite the glaring necessities - I’m already quite please with Downing and (particularly) Johnson. Regardless of any comments from TM in the LET, I felt our team lacked leaders/nouse at times last season (particularly in the last few minutes of games!) Johnson is particularly the type of “shit” I’ve watched drag teams to 3 points vs us over the years, through quality but mainly a winners attitude.

If we can add a centre-half and GK as a minimum - both first team standard, I would be quietly confident going into the season.

Since most business ends up done towards the back of the window anyway, it’s probably fair to say we’ve done “ok” so far.

Not sure about the club as a whole, but I'm pretty sure Mowbray was happy to listen when an offer was put in for Raya. Those comments last season seemed very personal to me, like there had been a serious disagreement between the manager and the player. 

I've said for a while Mowbray could do with talking less. It's nice that he's willing to communicate his thoughts but sometimes less is more. You should only talk that much if you can back up everything you say, and very few managers in modern football could do that. 

LB for me is as crucial as CB (although GK is now obviously top priority). We can't seriously expect to go anywhere with Bell and Williams competing for that place. It's a bit embarrassing. If Bennett is still starting at RB, too, I fear we're sabotaging ourselves right from the get go irrespective of whether we bring in a decent goalie and/or CB.   

• Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

Should have bought an experienced keeper and kept Raya for the near future. And that's all I'll ever say now about Raya cos he's gone!

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

No. I saw it, END OFF. Cannot be bothered searching on your behalf, Watching the Cricket. 

Fine by me. We'll just assume that you and RoversClitheroe mixed up the contract expiry as the deadline then.

• Like 1