BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Connor Mahoney, late of this parish and "I'm an exciting player to watch", joins Millwall

SOCCER Millwall - MILLWALL SIGN BOURNEMOUTH WINGER CONNOR MAHONEY ON LONG-TERM DEAL

Press Association 2019
SOCCER Millwall

Millwall have signed England Under-20 international Connor Mahoney from Bournemouth for an undisclosed fee.

The Sky Bet Championship club say the winger, now 22, has signed a long-term contract at The Den.

"I'm delighted to finally be here," Mahoney told the official Millwall website.

"I can settle down with the lads this week before heading off to Portugal on Friday, and hopefully this is the beginning of a long and successful career for me down here at Millwall.

"I'm an exciting player, exciting to watch. I work hard for the team and for the club, but also want to bring something different - quality on the ball, getting fans off their seats
"They pay good money to come and watch us, so hopefully there's a successful season around the corner."

Mahoney becomes Millwall's fourth summer signing after earlier deals for Alex Pearce, Frank Fielding and Matt Smith.

Millwall finished 21st in the Sky Bet Championship last season, finishing one place and four points above the last relegation spot.

"Last season wasn't the best for the club, but I was speaking to the gaffer (Neil Harris) and he was telling me about the season before, in which we had a top-half finish," Mahoney added.

"I think that's our ambition for this season, finishing there, and then you never know what might happen."

Mahoney began his career at Accrington and made 21 appearances for Blackburn before joining Bournemouth in 2017.

He has also had loan spells at Barnsley and Birmingham, making 31 appearances for the Blues' last season, and won England caps from U17 to U20 level.

Just now, JHRover said:

Looks like it's going to be another one of those windows. Defence and midfield 'addressed' with free agents or loans whilst we collect forwards eating up the vast majority of our budget. 

Dont mind Gallagher provided we use him properly and provided money also finds it's way into the problem areas. I dont expect it will do. It didn't last summer and didn't when Coyle was here either.

Absolutely insane if we don't get another first choice centre back.

I appreciate that you can sign good free transfers but we missed out on the one we were hoping to sign.

If Mowbray doesn't put some money behind this (if no free transfers are available) he has failed spectacularly for me.

• Like 6

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Connor Mahoney, late of this parish and "I'm an exciting player to watch", joins Millwall

SOCCER Millwall - MILLWALL SIGN BOURNEMOUTH WINGER CONNOR MAHONEY ON LONG-TERM DEAL

Press Association 2019
SOCCER Millwall

Millwall have signed England Under-20 international Connor Mahoney from Bournemouth for an undisclosed fee.

The Sky Bet Championship club say the winger, now 22, has signed a long-term contract at The Den.

"I'm delighted to finally be here," Mahoney told the official Millwall website.

"I can settle down with the lads this week before heading off to Portugal on Friday, and hopefully this is the beginning of a long and successful career for me down here at Millwall.

"I'm an exciting player, exciting to watch. I work hard for the team and for the club, but also want to bring something different - quality on the ball, getting fans off their seats
"They pay good money to come and watch us, so hopefully there's a successful season around the corner."

Mahoney becomes Millwall's fourth summer signing after earlier deals for Alex Pearce, Frank Fielding and Matt Smith.

Millwall finished 21st in the Sky Bet Championship last season, finishing one place and four points above the last relegation spot.

"Last season wasn't the best for the club, but I was speaking to the gaffer (Neil Harris) and he was telling me about the season before, in which we had a top-half finish," Mahoney added.

"I think that's our ambition for this season, finishing there, and then you never know what might happen."

Mahoney began his career at Accrington and made 21 appearances for Blackburn before joining Bournemouth in 2017.

He has also had loan spells at Barnsley and Birmingham, making 31 appearances for the Blues' last season, and won England caps from U17 to U20 level.

Does anybody know if we had a sell-on clause when he went to Bournemouth?

Just now, davulsukur said:

Absolutely insane if we don't get another first choice centre back.

I appreciate that you can sign good free transfers but we missed out on the one we were hoping to sign.

If Mowbray doesn't put some money behind this (if no free transfers are available) he has failed spectacularly for me.

here here.

3 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

For whats is worth, which is usually very little. Nixon just tweeted this

Alan Nixon @reluctantnicko 42s42 seconds ago

Wigan. Backing away from Sam Gallagher deal. Wages and fee too rich for them in end. Blackburn clear run for him as it stands.

Translates as I've done my bit to drive up the fee and wages for my pals by making stuff up so now i'll back away myself and if it doesn't go through i'll drop in the old sell to buy line again.

• Like 3

Just now, tomphil said:

Translates as I've done my bit to drive up the fee and wages for my pals by making stuff up so now i'll back away myself and if it doesn't go through i'll drop in the old sell to buy line again.

Too right. The guy is as vacuous and transparent as they get.

• Like 2

If we sign Gallagher that would be striker and midfield fully addressed (perhaps not perfectly but we have the right numbers and okay quality). Then we still need to sign three defenders and a GK which are woeful.

Achieve all of that and we could aim for top half. But we're not going to be in amongst the favourites for top six. We would need radically better signings than the kind we are linked to.

Here's a fun game :

Automatic Promotion Quality Players = None

Top six players = Dack, Lenihan, Travis, Rothwell, Graham, 

Top half players = Armstrong

Bottom Half Players = Evans, Nyambe, Bennett, Bell, Williams, Samuel

Relegation Players = Smallwood, Mulgrew, Leutweiler, Nuttall,

Unknown Quantities = Johnson, Downing, Chapman, Brereton (I'm being generous here....), Davenport, Butterworth etc.

As it stands we need the unknown quantities to turn out to be top six / top half players if we are to have a good season.

• Like 1

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

If we sign Gallagher that would be striker and midfield fully addressed (perhaps not perfectly but we have the right numbers and okay quality). Then we still need to sign three defenders and a GK which are woeful.

Achieve all of that and we could aim for top half. But we're not going to be in amongst the favourites for top six. We would need radically better signings than the kind we are linked to.

Here's a fun game :

Unknown Quantities = Johnson, Downing, Chapman, Brereton (I'm being generous here....), Davenport, Butterworth etc.

As it stands we need the unknown quantities to turn out to be top six / top half players if we are to have a good season.

Johnson and Downing are top 6 players though seeing as they finished or spent most of the season in the top 6, no? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

To be honest that was my mind set but Mowbray has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons by saying the door may be open for him.

I agree but I don’t think it’s for the reasons most would think. 

38 minutes ago, neophox said:

Gallagher is something I believe could be a cut price come end of transfer window IF we are interested.

Gallagher at 2.5 million and wages that would fit into our structure would be a no brainer for me they are the type of deals we should be doing and if Mowbray pulled that off and a first 11 capable defender and decent keeper it would be bang on.

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Nyambe stays back for every single set piece. Bell goes up for every single set piece. Bennett has played in the 10, centre mid and on both wings. Stats like this don’t really paint a full picture.

You're absolutely right that stats don't paint the full picture. I think the stats for our full backs as well as our midfielders are as much down to our tactics and style of play as it is the quality of the players. With that said Nyambe does get forward in open play so he needs to start getting a few assists at least. Fair point on Bennett, according to whoscored one of his assists came from DR and the other two from AML. The goal came from DML. His stats are poor as well but not necessarily fair to compare Vs. Nyambe due to his versatility. Also hard to expect consistency from Bennett when he's shuffled around the pitch so often. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, rigger said:

I think Nyambes recovery after a mistake in defence is second to none . I just wish he didn’t make the mistakes in the first place 

Samba was similar, hence the telescopic leg! Difference is that Samba had Nelsen backing him up.

Here's a fun game :

What a fantastic post. I agree with those rankings. I think that Downing and Johnson have an argument for being top 6/top half players, but for what it’s worth the rest of the ‘unknown quantities’ have good potential to be in those top groups imo.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Nyambe certainly not and I agree with those who say that Bell is improving.

Someone said in another thread that if we go three at the back with wing backs, then it does change things because all of a sudden they become much more important players and need to have good delivery. If we stay with a back four, no major issues for me. 

The problem is with Tony's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation from last season the DR/DL do need to contribute higher up the pitch. Tony wants the AML/AMR to play an inside forwards rather than wingers, hence putting strikers like Brereton and Armstrong in those positions, which means they tend to come in quite narrow, just behind Graham on either side. This means our wide defenders need to come forward to support the attack and put in crosses/through balls. We've seen Bell high up the pitch running towards the box numerous times, whilst Nyambe tends to stay wider and either pass inside or attempt a cross. Unless Mowbray totally changes our style our full backs are going to need to contribute more than they are at the moment, and that will be the case even more if we go with a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 wing back style formation, which seems to be what Mowbray has attempted in the past with limited success.

34 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Would have to mean Nuttall on loan to League One for me.

At 22 you'd like to think he could become the main man for someone lower/mid table and come back a better or more valuable prospect.

Perhaps should happen anyway.

Outscores Brereton last season having proven himself in the development squad (two stints). Bags in his first pre-season game.

Needs shipping out because the other bloke cost more.

Got to feel for Joe.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Johnson and Downing are top 6 players though seeing as they finished or spent most of the season in the top 6, no? 

I'll reserve judgement till I see how they play for us. Danny Murphy was a quality Premier League player but signed for us and was terrible.

• Like 1

Just now, Tugay's Right Foot said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/july/rovers-make-white-move/

wait for it....

a defender (you wish)..a ball playing, combative midfielder. Roy Keane it is then, finally joining mighty Rovers

I wager we won't see any of him for a year or two. 22 years old is pretty late for a development player though... must have something about him?

I wager we won't see any of him for a year or two. 22 years old is pretty late for a development player though... must have something about him?

Haven’t seen much of Brad Lyon too, about the same age, mind. One would have thought Lyons has something about him too. We have the numbers in centre mid, no doubt about it. Padding the U23s for a start