BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Backroom

How did we come across this chap? One of Tony’s mates kids? Right part of the world i suppose and can join the north east car pool - maybe he owns a ford galaxy?

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

The White signing sounds very similar to the signing of Brad Lyons. Centre midfielder playing 'men's football' brought in to potentially affect the first team in a season or two. Stengthens our U23 team in the meantime or goes out on loan.

Did the U23's lose many midfielders in the summer to warrant this signing? 

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

How did we come across this chap? One of Tony’s mates kids? Right part of the world i suppose 

Some nice comments from his fans. Can’t make out a particular comment- “he’s class but not sure if he’s championship material yet, he’s class”. Could be something. England C player etc etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I wager we won't see any of him for a year or two. 22 years old is pretty late for a development player though... must have something about him?

It sure is pretty late. Especially when we already have Buckley, Davenport and Lyons competing as 'young midfielders trying to break through'. And ten players in total who can play CM.

Very odd signing. Tony really does love collecting central midfielders (this guy is central, right?)

Goes without saying that I hope he becomes a corker, but still odd. Our recruitment priorities are confusing at present. Hope it all makes sense when the window is done.

Edited by bluebruce

Just now, RoverKyle said:

The White signing sounds very similar to the signing of Brad Lyons. Centre midfielder playing 'men's football' brought in to potentially affect the first team in a season or two. Stengthens our U23 team in the meantime or goes out on loan.

Probably players like Buckley (and Davenport) are going to break through so you need bodies in there.

• Like 1

Just now, RoverKyle said:

If someone in midfield becomes available we will sign him.

New formation 1 8 1 or 1 9 1 who needs a goalkeeper?

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, 4000Holes said:

If someone in midfield becomes available we will sign him.

New formation 1 8 1 or 1 9 1 who needs a goalkeeper?

We've got a MC who can play goalkeeper... good old Richie. Just stock the whole team with central midfielders.

Smallwood

Bennett Rodwell Mulgrew Downing

Johnson Evans Adam Travis

Dack Davenport

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Tugay's Right Foot said:

Some nice comments from his fans. Can’t make out a particular comment- “he’s class but not sure if he’s championship material yet, he’s class”. Could be something. England C player etc etc.

Well let’s see, it’s low risk after all 

Whilst our competitors are signing people like Pontus Janson and the Champions league guys like the boys Forest just signed, Tony is signing his pals 22 year old kids.

What's the odds on Tony being the first one fired in the championship? Might lump on.

• Like 2

Just now, OJRovers said:

I think half the problem is that the club announces these U23 signings as if they are first team signings.

Happened last year with Lyons, Davenport, Chapman etc 

I agree but at the same time in 2019 - social media is pretty much key, and thus any new story is generally “worthy”!

Just now, OJRovers said:

I think half the problem is that the club announces these U23 signings as if they are first team signings.

Happened last year with Lyons, Davenport, Chapman etc 

Eh, Davenport and Chapman both were/are first team signings? Injuries saw them in the U23s initially but both will be first teamers this year.

Is Downing really 35? Looks younger and fitter than alot 30-35 year olds and much younger than Adam. Hope he does well for us could be a real coup. Johnson is a nasty player, just what we may need in Championship.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Outscores Brereton last season having proven himself in the development squad (two stints). Bags in his first pre-season game.

Needs shipping out because the other bloke cost more.

Got to feel for Joe.

Not my thinking, maybe yours.

He’s 3 years older and has half as many senior appearances as Brereton.

Needs to play urgently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Not sure what relevance that has to Mowbray playing Smallwood and Evans instead of Reed, and putting the latter’s nose out of joint.

Your point was that Reed felt insulted by being overlooked by Smallwood and Evans. My point is that Travis took the place of one because he was more disciplined in that position, a point Tony made. Reed clearly was not as disciplined as Tony wanted. Plus he was a loanee, surely he felt more insulted by being overtaken by a 20 something youth player? 

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

If we sign Gallagher that would be striker and midfield fully addressed (perhaps not perfectly but we have the right numbers and okay quality). Then we still need to sign three defenders and a GK which are woeful.

Achieve all of that and we could aim for top half. But we're not going to be in amongst the favourites for top six. We would need radically better signings than the kind we are linked to.

Here's a fun game :

Automatic Promotion Quality Players = None

Top six players = Dack, Lenihan, Travis, Rothwell, Graham, 

Top half players = Armstrong

Bottom Half Players = Evans, Nyambe, Bennett, Bell, Williams, Samuel

Relegation Players = Smallwood, Mulgrew, Leutweiler, Nuttall,

Unknown Quantities = Johnson, Downing, Chapman, Brereton (I'm being generous here....), Davenport, Butterworth etc.

As it stands we need the unknown quantities to turn out to be top six / top half players if we are to have a good season.

Good post, I think the only one I strongly disagree with is that to me Dack is definitely automatic promotion quality. I think he'd fit very well (probably better) in a top 2 side as there'd be other danger players the opposition would have to focus on. He'd get more space and his team would have more of the ball in the right areas.

As another poster pointed out, Downing and Johnson could be top 6 players as they technically were last season. Unknown quantities for us though, especially due to their ages (particularly SD). I reckon a Nyambe given more game time is probably a top half player next season. Samuel is relegation quality/unknown. Good list though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

We've got a MC who can play goalkeeper... good old Richie. Just stock the whole team with central midfielders.

Smallwood

Bennett Rodwell Mulgrew Downing

Johnson Evans Adam Travis

Dack Davenport

Don't joke.

Take smallwood and Davenport out and replace with a keeper and Graham and that's a potential line up for this season.

It would be very Mowbray-esq to sign a powerful central midfielder in Johnson and play him out wide.

Terrifying

Edited by davulsukur