BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, JayDee said:

Apparently Salford are chasing David Wheater. He's a centre half but more importantly he's old and past it and pretty sure he used to play for boro so I'm surprised Tony isn't all over this. 

Needn’t worry - he’s a centre back. Seemingly we don’t want any.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

• Backroom
Just now, davulsukur said:

Don't joke.

Take smallwood and Davenport out and replace with a keeper and Graham and that's a potential line up for this season.

It would be very Mowbray-esq to sign a powerful central midfielder in Johnson and play him out wide.

Terrifying

For what it's worth I think we'll line up:

NEW

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Johnson

Armstrong Dack Downing

Graham

Possible that Nyambe will play at RB and Travis in CM, but I don't trust Tony in this regard. Evans is on plenty of money, has a new contract and has "discipline" so I don't think it's guaranteed that he'll be on the bench, and you have to assume Johnson will be starting. RM could be Travis, Brereton, Gallagher (if we sign him) or Armstrong (albeit on the wrong side of the pitch) potentially. Graham almost certainly will be our starting striker.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

NEW

Evans Johnson

Armstrong Dack Downing

Graham

Possible that Nyambe will play at RB and Travis in CM, but I don't trust Tony in this regard. Evans is on plenty of money, has a new contract and has "discipline" so I don't think it's guaranteed that he'll be on the bench, and you have to assume Johnson will be starting. RM could be Travis, Brereton, Gallagher (if we sign him) or Armstrong (albeit on the wrong side of the pitch) potentially. Graham almost certainly will be our starting striker.

Where's Rothwell? He must start v Charlton 

• Like 1

Going off this article, where it seemed Gateshead wanted a 6-figure compo fee, I assume the White deal is costing in the region of 100k. Which I imagine is similar to our sell on for Mahoney (20% of the profit, we got about 500k at the time, thought I heard he was selling for about a million to Millwall). Could be related, could be a coincidence. We should net a small 'development fee' for Mahoney on top of that. Was the max for that 5%? So maybe another 50k if I've remembered that right.

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news-carlisle-united-set-to-sign-hartlepool-united-target-tom-white-290881

Edited by bluebruce

• Backroom
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Where's Rothwell? He must start v Charlton 

Again, it's Mowbray. I don't trust him to start the likes of Nyambe, Travis and Rothwell. I hope and pray that he does, but I have a feeling it'll take a bad run of form for the "trusted" players to lose their place. The only place I can see Rothwell in the team, assuming Downing is a starter, would be on RM. Could be Bennett on that flank though with Nyambe at RB. For the record my PREFERRED team would be:

NEW

Nyambe Lenihan NEW NEW

Travis Johnson

Rothwell Dack Armstrong

Graham

Looks way too risky for Mowbray though so I'm not confident. Note this is based on TM's usual formation and not necessarily what I'd go with tactically.

Edited by DE.

5 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Your point was that Reed felt insulted by being overlooked by Smallwood and Evans. My point is that Travis took the place of one because he was more disciplined in that position, a point Tony made. Reed clearly was not as disciplined as Tony wanted. Plus he was a loanee, surely he felt more insulted by being overtaken by a 20 something youth player? 

You’re missing the point, Imy. I suspect deliberately so I’ll leave it there.

23 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I think half the problem is that the club announces these U23 signings as if they are first team signings.

Happened last year with Lyons, Davenport, Chapman etc 

All part of the plan. Then the Telegraph will be adding them as new signings to try and give the impression of more activity than there is. New signings for the u23s were previously announced as such whereas nowadays it is all about 'initially' with the u23s.

Just now, DE. said:

Again, it's Mowbray. I don't trust him to start the likes of Nyambe, Travis and Rothwell. I hope and pray that he does, but I have a feeling it'll take a bad run of form for the "trusted" players to lose their place. The only place I can see Rothwell in the team, assuming Downing is a starter, would be on RM. Could be Bennett on that flank though with Nyambe at RB. For the record my PREFERRED team would be:

NEW

Nyambe Lenihan NEW NEW

Travis Johnson

Rothwell Dack Armstrong

Graham

Looks way too risky for Mowbray though so I'm not confident. Note this is based on TM's usual formation and not necessarily what I'd go with tactically.

Aye, I think he needs to set the tone for the season v Charlton....attack them .  But he won't and it will be defensive until last 15

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I think half the problem is that the club announces these U23 signings as if they are first team signings.

Happened last year with Lyons, Davenport, Chapman etc 

This is exactly the problem, U23 signings should be a short news story in the development section of the website, not front page with a photo signing a contract with the first team manager and feature article.

Once again though our priorities are questionable. We don’t even have an U23 manager at the moment.

That said, it’s telling that someone felt the need to put “White is initially expected to join up with Rovers Under-23s, before pushing for a place in manager Tony Mowbray's senior squad.”

Is this really the calibre of player we are looking at for the bench, or is this another case of jobs for the “good friends” of existing players?

Just now, Stuart said:

You’re missing the point, Imy. I suspect deliberately so I’ll leave it there.

So to clarify it is 'embarrassing' that Tony persevered with Smallwood and Evans instead of Reed. You used his words from an article in April, in which he explained that Reed did not stick to his position (a reason why he hadn't started), however if Reeds performances continued then he would start? Ultimately he chose Travis instead of Smallwood anyway so clearly not as rigid with his persevering with Smallwood and Evans as you make out. 

I'll leave it there. 

• Like 1

Has anyone really any ideas as to how TM is s ting the team up to play ?

Answer is no they don’t!

The formation being played will be adapted to each game as it comes, I am pretty sure about that.

At home we could go 3-4-2, 4-4-2 or 3-5-1-1.

new Keeper

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew or new CB Williams/Bell

Bennett/Rothwell Johnson Travis Downing/Chapman

Dack Graham or Brereton and Gallagher/Armstrong

Throw in Davenport Evans Nuttall Butterworth Rankin-Costello Smallwood Magloire and that has the basis of a good team/squad that can be adapted/changed to suit. I am sure there are probably others from the u23 squad that could step up namely Grayson so there is a lot of talent at the club. I haven’t added Adams but for me he could easily fit into the squad using his experience and know how to help Travis improve even more.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

The cost of the deal is unknown as is the depth of the V’s pockets. It’s not worth worrying about imo. Based on last years budget I think we could spend seven figures again. Especially with the Raya money.

They sometimes pay a player like for example Ruddy, Hart or Forster a large signing on fee to keep wages down. 

I hope I am wrong but I honestly don't think we are going to be spending too much this summer.

If we spend 4/5 million on Gallagher all of those 3 keepers will be out of our reach.

I think we may end up with SG + various loan options in defence and a cheap keeper.

Just now, Stuart said:

This is exactly the problem, U23 signings should be a short news story in the development section of the website, not front page with a photo signing a contract with the first team manager and feature article.

Once again though our priorities are questionable. We don’t even have an U23 manager at the moment.

That said, it’s telling that someone felt the need to put “White is initially expected to join up with Rovers Under-23s, before pushing for a place in manager Tony Mowbray's senior squad.”

Is this really the calibre of player we are looking at for the bench, or is this another case of jobs for the “good friends” of existing players?

I think it’s a good way to seem an appealing place for young players to come.

Even if that’s a spurious reason, I struggle to see why you think it’s a bad thing.

I like to know if we sign players for the U23s tbh

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Well, he did manage to make Everton's bench on a couple of occasions last season, so it seems about right that he would at least expect to be in the discussion to make ours. 

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I think it’s a good way to seem an appealing place for young players to come.

Even if that’s a spurious reason, I struggle to see why you think it’s a bad thing.

I like to know if we sign players for the U23s tbh

The development section of the website is available to everyone.

We have no U23 manager, no first team goalkeeper, a defence in dire need of reinforcements, pre-season preparation with a makeshift defensive unit, and one decent striker.

I never said signing a lad for the reserves is a bad thing but making this appear like a “proper signing” is disingenuous. Same as it was last season with the likes of Candlin and even Lyons.

Meh, good confidence boost for the lad and show us investing in young prospects.

I don’t think the intention is to make it out as a “proper signing”, that’s why they say he’s going in the U23s.

We are in a "1 team bidding war" for Sam Gallagher... if we back out, in sure the fee will reduce 25% in a few weeks.

Spend the next 2 weeks focused on a quality GK and a quality CB. 

But that would be the logical approach.

We are 3 weeks away from lining up Luitwiler - Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams. If the window closes with no improvements =?

• Like 1

Meh, good confidence boost for the lad and show us investing in young prospects.

I don’t think the intention is to make it out as a “proper signing”, that’s why they say he’s going in the U23s.

“White is initially expected to join up with Rovers Under-23s, before pushing for a place in manager Tony Mowbray's senior squad.”

Doesn't sound like they they think he’ll be there long.

Just now, Stuart said:

“White is initially expected to join up with Rovers Under-23s, before pushing for a place in manager Tony Mowbray's senior squad.”

Doesn't sound like they they think he’ll be there long.

Well... good???

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Yeah, because that’s just what our first team is missing right now - another midfielder.

You missed the bit where he’s going into the U23s?

If he’s better than our first 11 after a while then I’m glad to have him.

Whats the conspiracy here? Highly rated young national league player joins U23 squad (as Buckley progresses) because lizard people?

Or you just didn’t want it tweeting out?

I expect we’ll be at least two down in CM from youth loans/shipping out...

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, DE. said:

NEW

Evans Johnson

Armstrong Dack Downing

Graham

I would say Rothwell and Travis will definitely start. They were absolutely cemented by the end of the season. I think Bennett (annoyingly) will return RB unless we sign someone.

The one that really worries me is Mulgrew. I can see Mowbray deciding to retain him in the starting XI as he's club captain. That would be absolutely mental given his atrocious performances last season  But sadly possible.

If we go into the season expecting to regularly play Mulgrew first choice Mowbray will be sacked by October guaranteed.

You missed the bit where he’s going into the U23s?

If he’s better than our first 11 after a while then I’m glad to have him.

Whats the conspiracy here? Highly rated young national league player joins U23 squad (as Buckley progresses) because lizard people?

Or you just didn’t want it tweeting out?

I expect we’ll be at least two down in CM from youth loans/shipping out...

You’ve really blown this out of all proportion. If you are that bothered, go back and read my first post on it. I stand by that.

Tell you what though, people are getting really antsy at the moment. The sooner we fix the glaring holes in the First XI the better!

6 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

For whats is worth, which is usually very little. Nixon just tweeted this

Alan Nixon @reluctantnicko 42s42 seconds ago

Wigan. Backing away from Sam Gallagher deal. Wages and fee too rich for them in end. Blackburn clear run for him as it stands.

I thought Gallagher was to make a decision yesterday.