BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Moderation Lead

I think many are getting frustrated that we have signed loads of midfielders (which numerically, aren’t a priority), when we have areas of the team which are a much bigger priority, that need to be strengthened, but haven’t been yet. 

I can understand, I really can! But there’s obviously still time to rectify it like, I just hope the defenders really are coming....(and a goalkeeper and a striker).

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 3

Just now, K-Hod said:

I think many are getting frustrated that we have signed loads of midfielders (which numerically, aren’t a priority), when we have areas of the team which are a much bigger priority, that need to be strengthened, but haven’t been yet. 

I can understand, I really can!

Absolutely!

14 minutes ago, pick32 said:

No problem with the Tom White Signing, looks like he has been brought in on the the cheap to help Buckley move to the first team, If he turns out to be another Vardy then that’s a bonus 

How does signing another bloody central midfielder help Buckley in any way?

All this Bauer talk about how he picked Preston over us, Im happy he didn’t sign shows he didnt want to fight for his place. Can’t be only one who wants players who are willing to fight to get in team and not expect to put straight in starting 11. Mowbrays doing it right trust in him. He’s taking us up ? 

• Like 2

Just now, K-Hod said:

I can understand, I really can! But there’s obviously still time to rectify it like, I just hope the defenders really are coming....(and a goalkeeper and a striker).

I don't think they coming ( defenders ) I think we'll get Gallagher a keeper ( probably a loan ) re sign Rodwell as defensive cover defence has been Mowbrays managerial blind spot throughout his career

• Like 1

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

How does signing another bloody central midfielder help Buckley in any way?

Means he could be full-time with the first team squad or go out on loan to get some experience. 

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Agreed. Hard to stay patient and even though there is plenty of time left I worry TM hasn't got a plan outside of "wait till the last minute and hope clubs drop their pants" and we'll be scrabbling around in the last 24hrs ending up with players that we either don't need and/or aren't good enough. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I am guilty for jumping the gun too quickly. Sometimes I've been right, sometimes I've been wrong. Going to give it another 10 days. If we don't have at least a new GK or defender (our weakest areas) I will be worried.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

All extremely desperate stuff.

Not really. Granted Adam phoned us to request training facilities, but isn't that the sign of a model pro looking to keep himself in good shape? Sounds like he has desire to me, going off that. Furthermore he only played to make up numbers after Lyons pulled up injured. Can't blame him for saying yes when asked, nor TM for asking him when short on numbers due to injury.

Downing is not a desperate signing either IMO. A good, experienced old head for our many younger players to look up to. Provided future signings balance out the youth v experience ratio, it's every chance of being a good move.

Changing subject a little, it's been mentioned that we should've been all over Pontus Jansson as being the tough no nonsense CB we all crave; but didn't we have him & his mates on toast when we played Leeds at Ewood last season? I didn't see much there that warrants 5.5m, though admittedly that's only 1 game.

• Like 3

• Backroom

All I want from this window now is a goalkeeper,  and at least one (ideally two) centre back.

If we sign Gallagher (or anyone else), fine but we need those 2 positions filling.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, pick32 said:

No problem with the Tom White Signing, looks like he has been brought in on the the cheap to help Buckley move to the first team, If he turns out to be another Vardy then that’s a bonus 

Yeh he could be here to give the u-23s cover for Buckley moving up. It seems a bit odd if so, given Buckley is 3 years younger than him. You'd expect someone brought in for that purpose to be no older than 20 really. Obviously no complaints if this goes on to be a good signing.

Just on the older side for the development squad..much like Lyons was. In fact I wonder if this puts the writing on the wall for Lyons, who actually sounded alright. Only room for so many young CMs coming through. Given how stocked the area is, 'risky' appearances from youth team players will be at a premium. Maybe Lyons is verging on a move north of the border where he impressed? Maybe to rejoin his old Coleraine boss permanently?

Cover for an under 23s player. Am I hearing this right?? 

Evans, Mols, Lyons, Lithuanian kid, and there is another one as well who’s name escapes me. All clambouring for Buckley’s spot in under 23s. 

Cover for under 23s...can’t believe my ears.

Evans, Mols, Lyons, Lithuanian kid, and there is another one as well who’s name escapes me. All clambouring for Buckley’s spot in under 23s. 

Maybe he’s better than them?

Look

We all want defenders and a keeper

No one REALLY wants Adam

But that doesn’t make this a bad signing!

Vale?

I think the Lithuanian is more of a winger or attacking mid (also not broken past u-18s yet)? Thought Mols was similar to that. No clue about Vale and Evans, and someone correct me if I'm wrong on the first two. I think the club are keen to ensure our u-23s stay in the top youth league. It's good for them and our ability to attract youngsters. This kid seems rated tbf, only odd thing about it is his age.

Does Buckley even have a spot in the first team though? I know we are expecting him to push on, but to even get on the bench for the CM/DM roles he will be competing with Travis, Evans, Johnson, Smallwood, Davenport, Downing, Bennett and even Lyons to a degree, as things stand. The first 5 probably being the biggest threat...only 4 of those 6 (including Buckley) can realistically make a matchday squad. Meaning Buckley is relying on some combo of us selling someone, not bringing in Adam, Butterfield or A.N. Other, and injury/suspension just to be on the bench.

I suspect he will spend at least the first couple of months training with the first team but playing with the u-23s.

Edited by bluebruce

28 minutes ago, OssyLad said:

All this Bauer talk about how he picked Preston over us, Im happy he didn’t sign shows he didnt want to fight for his place. Can’t be only one who wants players who are willing to fight to get in team and not expect to put straight in starting 11. Mowbrays doing it right trust in him. He’s taking us up ? 

The whole "guaranteed start" at PNE being why he chose them has probably originated out of Brockhall and is another one of the fabled tales we get spun weekly by our manager and the LT.

I'd love to think that this would be a good year for the likes of Buckley, Rankin-Costello, Mols, Lyons and Butterworth... but the signings and trialings of Downing, Johnson, Adam and Butterfield probably tell us all we need to about 'Tombola T's' aims for out youngsters this season.

Tomorrow marks 6 days since Raya was having his medical, and besides a flat denial of Darlow... Nada. Tick tock.

1 hour ago, briansol said:

Good luck to him and hope he becomes a success at Ewood.

But in the football mad North east, if he was that good why didn't the likes of Sunderland or Middlesbrough snap him up?

Edited by jim mk2

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I think the Lithuanian is more of a winger or attacking mid (also not broken past u-18s yet)? Thought Mols was similar to that. No clue about Vale and Evans, and someone correct me if I'm wrong on the first two. I think the club are keen to ensure our u-23s stay in the top youth league. It's good for them and our ability to attract youngsters. This kid seems rated tbf, only odd thing about it is his age.

Does Buckley even have a spot in the first team though? I know we are expecting him to push on, but to even get on the bench for the CM/DM roles he will be competing with Travis, Evans, Johnson, Smallwood, Davenport, Downing, Bennett and even Lyons to a degree, as things stand. The first 5 probably being the biggest threat...only 4 of those 6 (including Buckley) can realistically make a matchday squad. Meaning Buckley is relying on some combo of us selling someone, not bringing in Adam, Butterfield or A.N. Other, and injury/suspension just to be on the bench.

I suspect he will spend at least the first couple of months training with the first team but playing with the u-23s.

Pretty acurate. Evans is left back I think, Vale is a striker. Mols is attacking, similar is the Lithuanian kid Who has only played U18. 

Buckley, Butterworth and Magloire is too good for U23 and will probably either be involved or go out on loan. Mols and Lyons might to which makes sense to bring in White. 

Expecting more loans this season, several enquires were declined last season because of not enough coverage. Nuttall had many offers and might go on loan to be a main man with regular game time. 

Hopefully some of the U18 Will be good, or else the U23 might struggle to renew itself. Wonder how they Will cope without D. Johnson as well

• Like 2

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

But in the football mad North east, if he was that good why didn't the likes of Sunderland or Middlesbrough snap him up?

Someone has to, maybe we've got lucky.

Very unlikely of course, but stranger things have happened. 

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Who knows? A 22 year old non-league player would be considered a gamble by most clubs. Seems like a late bloomer Who had a breakthrough season this year. Odds against him becoming a Championship player,  but let's see what he can make of it

• Like 1

There are several others in the U23 with potential. Rankin-Costello, Hayden Carter, Lewis Thomson and Jack Vale. They could all do a job on loan. 

Vale is probably the most exciting one. Just turned 18, good allround striker Who led the line well for the U23. Gave 40mill Mangala the run around when they beat City. Highly rated by Mowbray. Probably need one more year before being considered. 

Damien Johnson Will be vital in bringing these Kids through

2 hours ago, OssyLad said:

Completely disagree. Had Bauer stayed at Charlton he'd have been a first choice CB for them in the Championship which is exactly the same level as both ourselves and Preston are at. I think he's entitled to assume that if anyone at the same level come in for him and want him badly enough to sign him, he'll be going istraight nto the first X1 initially until he proves otherwise by not performing. It's insulting to expect him to agree to a move whereby he will move from being an automatic first choice to a squad player.

On the other hand if someone at a much higher level say Liverpool or Citeh were in for him then of course he should expect to have to work his way up and fight for his place. It would be completely unrealistic to expect to walk straight into the first team.

As for your comment about Mowbray taking us up; I'll have a pint of whatever you're on! 

Edited by RevidgeBlue

12 hours ago, Biz said:

August 1st, many premier league clubs start to announce their squads. Is it so hard to imagine that many decisions might be on hold till then? 

Given the shambles that was our transfer window last summer it's not hard to think we might be thinking along those lines again but I'd say it's a fairly suicidal strategy as 

a) You don't really know which players PL clubs will allow to go out on loan until the last minute

and b) If there's no-one suitable then there's only a week to go until the end of the window to sort something out leading to the potential for silly money being waved at anyone still available who you don't necessarily want or need as happened last year.