BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

8 hours ago, briansol said:

Who knows? A 22 year old non-league player would be considered a gamble by most clubs. Seems like a late bloomer Who had a breakthrough season this year. Odds against him becoming a Championship player,  but let's see what he can make of it

Its a gamble alright but hopefully those who have seen the lad and recommended him have got it right.

If he's a Vardy this will be hailed as a work of genius. If it fails it won't be a disaster.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OJRovers said:

The doubt with this White kid is that he’s turned down playing first team football to play in the U23s. If he was good enough then you would think a club in L2 would have snapped him up to play first team football.

I’d rather see one of the younger lads get promoted rather than backfill the academy with 22 year olds coming in who realistically won’t make it.

Fair point made.

He was nearly snapped up by Carlisle a couple of weeks ago. They couldn't agree compo with Gateshead. In his head he is not coming to play U23, it will be a stepping stone to break into the first team and be a Championship player. You would probably find a lot of League One/Two players backing themselves to do the same.

Although I don't think the club will let anybody block progress of our best talents. Proved that last season with Hardcastle and Tomlinson. Both very influential when the U23 were promoted to PL1, Hardcastle captain. Both were kept out of the team by Buckley and co. Hardcastle shipped on loan and in the end released with Tomlinson. 

Just now, Mercer said:

Depressing read this morning.

IMO, it's simple - we have a manager who doesn't know the market and hasn't a clue how to work it.

As others have posted, Mowbray has made a rod for his own back.  IMO, spunked away £7million+ and wages on Brereton, handed out new contracts to deadwood we are now trying to shift and seemingly is now frustrated as 'agents and players and agents are too greedy' (a bit rich as I think he's helped fuel it with his own actions).

He has a budget - at least we are told that so for feck sake, get on and manage it.  Start with priorities (GOALKEEPER(s) & DEFENDERS) and forget both the Gallagher nonsense (IMO a 3 out of 10 striker to replace a 1 out of 10 striker who has seemingly financially hamstrung us) and a desire to collect ageing and not inexpensive midfielders.

I think the chickens are coming are to roost and Mowbray's ineffectual management and trading of playing resources is costing us badly. 

Post of the year. This is absolutely spot on.

Just now, arbitro said:

Mowbray admitted that most of the new contracts were given as rewards for promotion. I just don't see how we were protecting our interests by giving the likes of Smallwood, Evans, Williams and Mulgrews new deals.

I have to agree. 

I'm very much a fan of Mowbray and what he is building here, but he is not perfect by any standards. One of his downside is that he is too loyal both in the contract situations and persisting with the same players.

Seems there is very much a black/white attitude on here regarding Mowbray. Either everything is perfect or wrong. Truth is usually a balance between the two.

• Like 1

If we've got a budget similar to last year (+£3m from Raya), there's no reason why we shouldn't have a list of target players and go out and try bringing them in.

If the targeted players are too expensive or not available, that's the fault of the scouting team.

But unfortunately at this stage it sounds like we're going to be left feeding on unwanted cast-offs and last minute loans. All the signings so far fall into that category.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The fat new contracts for Evans et al biting him on the arse, as expected.

If only ‘negative brfcs’ had just ‘trusted the manager’ when he was doling them out.

I don’t remember a single person on this website saying Evans contract was a good idea but you carry painting it as if a select few clever lads on here knew best.

1 hour ago, alex l said:

For those criticising the contracts given out, have you forgotten when for around 2/3 seasons, we would finish the end of the year with hardly a match day squad still on the cards? The squad then needed quite a few new faces, inevitably bolstered by loans, which resulted in the same situation the following year. Players were leaving at the end of contracts or final 12 months, meaning it was hard to get any value out of them.

Whilst bigger wages and renewed contracts may mean we are stuck with a couple of players (for which interest is not guaranteed anyway) I would rather be in this position than losing the likes of King & Mahoney on frees, while 4 members of the first team leave every year due to their loan ending.

Oh you mean there’s pro’s and con’s to situations? It’s never simply black and white? Get out of town mate - that’s too sensible for here :) 

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Given the shambles that was our transfer window last summer it's not hard to think we might be thinking along those lines again but I'd say it's a fairly suicidal strategy as 

a) You don't really know which players PL clubs will allow to go out on loan until the last minute

and b) If there's no-one suitable then there's only a week to go until the end of the window to sort something out leading to the potential for silly money being waved at anyone still available who you don't necessarily want or need as happened last year.

The shambles? I’m sorry Rev but I disagree. We stayed up, we added quality to squad- yea BB at this point needs to step up but I don’t buy into this constant whinge about transfer business.

As for loans. It’s just the business we are in. If you are a professional (use Reed as an example) who wants to improve and play every week - you’re not going to leave your club until you know that door is shut. Other players will wait for the best money.

You can call it suicidal if you want, I call it a product of being in the scenario we are in. Read a potential tidbit from above, much on hold till EPL decide squads.

Just a reminder for those who can’t remember what a summer shambles looks like;

ADF3D214-1E1E-4565-A786-4AB6B4C1F368.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

You've posted this 25 times this month.

To some on here, including yourself, think clearly Brereton is the elephant in the room.

If you repeatedly went to see the doctor with a cough and he repeatedly told you to stop smoking, what would you do, turn round to him and say you've told me that 25 times already!

Edited by Mercer

Just now, OJRovers said:

But unfortunately at this stage it sounds like we're going to be left feeding on unwanted cast-offs and last minute loans. All the signings so far fall into that category.

Bradley Johnson an unwanted cast off?

Personally don’t think either him or Downing would’ve been short of offers in the championship.

Edited by Biz
  • Like 2

• Backroom
31 minutes ago, 47er said:

Absolutely! Supporters were demanding Travis' selection long before TM acted and he only acted then because of injury.

Smallwood's suspension at the turn of the year was the only reason Travis got a look in for the second half of the season. People forget that TM was publicly talking about Travis going out on loan in January, but admitted that Travis' performances made it impossible for him to do so without looking stupid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

The doubt with this White kid is that he’s turned down playing first team football to play in the U23s. If he was good enough then you would think a club in L2 would have snapped him up to play first team football.

I’d rather see one of the younger lads get promoted rather than backfill the academy with 22 year olds coming in who realistically won’t make it.

Or he backs himself to make the first team squad here. 

Just now, Commondore said:

Lots of talk about Mowbray "handing out contracts", but surely that's the job of the owners and CEO? It's not 1972 anymore...

Mowbray decides who gets new deals. Waggott will negotiate with agents and representatives.

Lots of talk about Mowbray "handing out contracts", but surely that's the job of the owners and CEO? It's not 1972 anymore...

Well obviously, but contracts will be drawn up with the approval of the manager, no? It’s his squad.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Exactly.

I’m also finding it quite amusing that people are now using Travis as a reason to celebrate Mowbray’s influence yet when I was promoting him and complaining when he was left out for Evans and Smallwood folks were telling me that Mowbray knows best.

Very good of you to initially put 19 year old Lewis Travis in all those match day squads tbh Stuart, bravo.

?

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Thanks for that man lol

Did I write that? Someone hacked me... 

Ah no, after last season my view would have changed somewhat. I think Travis can do what Evans does and more. We need players who do more on the ball in the middle. I wouldn't be too upset if we sold him now as I think we have more interesting options in there. 

Sorry, not meant as a dig at you, just pointing out that opinion was far from universally negative when Evans signed his contract. Even I said "fine" even though I should have been enraged. Must have been having a good day.

I'm pretty sure Mowbray decides who should get a contract while Waggott will negotiate the terms.  The transfer setup should be similar, Mowbray and the team has their list of A, B, C targets and Waggott/money men does the negotations regarding fee/wages. Think this is common for a lot of clubs. 

Whether our struggle landing targets is down to unrealistic targets or fee/wages being limited is hard to say. FFP and wages will be a factor. That works both ways, so having players you want to move out sitting on good contracts limits your ability to land new. At the same time you want to tie down the best ones.

37 minutes ago, Mercer said:

To some on here, including yourself, think clearly Brereton is the elephant in the room.

If you repeatedly went to see the doctor with a cough and he repeatedly told you to stop smoking, what would you do, turn round to him and say you've told me that 25 times already!

No but in that situation the Dr is an expert giving you solicited advice in this situation your opinion is coming unsolicited everyday and while your completely entitled to have it your no more an expert than anyone else. 

We get it YOU don't like Mowbray YOU think Brereton was a bad deal YOU don't want Gally I however liked him during his last spell here I'd quite like to sign him am I right I don't know time will tell but you don't either. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

Smallwood's suspension at the turn of the year was the only reason Travis got a look in for the second half of the season. People forget that TM was publicly talking about Travis going out on loan in January, but admitted that Travis' performances made it impossible for him to do so without looking stupid. 

I said as soon as the final whistle went at Bramall Lane that the moment he got the red card would prove to be the best moment of the season, for it allowed us to be rid of that plodder for 3 games and allow Travis his opportunity. Hopefully Bennett does something similar early on next season.

I dread to think what would have happened if Smallwood had stayed on his feet and started the full 46. ?

• Like 1

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

I said as soon as the final whistle went at Bramall Lane that the moment he got the red card would prove to be the best moment of the season, for it allowed us to be rid of that plodder for 3 games and allow Travis his opportunity. Hopefully Bennett does something similar early on next season.

I dread to think what would have happened if Smallwood had stayed on his feet and started the full 46. ?

I was at Bramall lane and I might be imagining this but Travis started that game?

Ergo - how did he only break the squad due to a suspension in the same game? 

C817C898-E1AF-4816-AAC1-955B7DBFAA8F.png

Edited by Biz
  • Like 7

He was in the side in place of Evans, who was rested after Boxing Day along with Graham.

Ergo, without a Smallwood sending off, next game Evans would’ve have been back in, nothing to suggest otherwise as they were the first choice pair at that point and Travis would’ve been off to League 1 on loan.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1