BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mattyblue said:

He was in the side in place of Evans.

Ergo, without a Smallwood sending off, next game Evans would’ve have been back in, nothing to suggest otherwise as they were the first choice pair at that point and Travis would’ve been off to League 1 on loan.

In the Boxing Day match at Leeds Travis wasn't even on the bench.

8 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

How would you explain Shearer starting his career at Southampton? or Bryan Robson at West Brom? Bobby Charlton at Man Utd? Carrick at West Ham? Beardsley at Carlisle? 

The dozens of Geordies the dingles used to sign in the old days. A pal of mine told me when their reserve team played in the North East in the old Central League days the coach would come back more or less empty after the game. The players would all be staying at home for the weekend. The North East terms were notorious for letting top young players slip through their fingers.

• Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

I was at Bramall lane and I might be imagining this but Travis started that game?

Ergo - how did he only break the squad due to a suspension in the same game? 

You're correct. If not slightly pedantic. I was aware he started the game, as did Rothwell, Palmer and Brereton... ergo a rotated 11 (for that time of the season)

The red card meant that Travis went from starting his first game of the season(?) in a token fixture where the manager (presumably) hadn't given us a chance, to being given a run of 4 straight starts... in 4 straight wins.

The rest (thankfully) is history and Smallwood has fallen down the pecking order where he should have been in August. However due to the ridiculous new contract, he is still clinging on at probably 8th choice CM in Mid July.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, briansol said:

I'm pretty sure Mowbray decides who should get a contract while Waggott will negotiate the terms.  The transfer setup should be similar, Mowbray and the team has their list of A, B, C targets and Waggott/money men does the negotations regarding fee/wages. Think this is common for a lot of clubs. 

Whether our struggle landing targets is down to unrealistic targets or fee/wages being limited is hard to say. FFP and wages will be a factor. That works both ways, so having players you want to move out sitting on good contracts limits your ability to land new. At the same time you want to tie down the best ones.

Of course he has a say, but so does the people footing the bill, and there are lots of aspects even beyond that. The way this thread looks you'd think that Mowbray decides who stays and goes and sits down with agents and players himself, which hasn't happened at the top level since the days of Brian Clough et al.  

• Like 1

He was in the side in place of Evans, who was rested after Boxing Day along with Graham.

Ergo, without a Smallwood sending off, next game Evans would’ve have been back in, nothing to suggest otherwise as they were the first choice pair at that point and Travis would’ve been off to League 1 on loan.

It’s a bit speculative though.

Travis’ performance could have kept him in the side... you really 100% don’t know.

I can’t remember how he played because I was ballaxed

• Like 2

Just now, Commondore said:

Of course he has a say, but so does the people footing the bill, and there are lots of aspects even beyond that. The way this thread looks you'd think that Mowbray decides who stays and goes and sits down with agents and players himself, which hasn't happened at the top level since the days of Brian Clough et al.  

Nobody is suggesting that at all. 

But of course the make up of the squad is the final call of the manager at a club like ours - I.e manager dominant and no DoF.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

It’s a bit speculative though.

Travis’ performance could have kept him in the side... you really 100% don’t know.

I can’t remember how he played because I was ballaxed

Of course it is. But Travis, like the rest of them didn’t play particularly well so there was no reason for the Evans/Smallwood partnership to be broken up at that point.

I don’t care as it worked out in the end, so thank you Smallwood for that rush of blood.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DE. said:

Sorry, not meant as a dig at you, just pointing out that opinion was far from universally negative when Evans signed his contract. Even I said "fine" even though I should have been enraged. Must have been having a good day.

I'm only joking with you. You were right to share the post. I forgot I was an Evans cheerleader ?

• Like 2

Of course it is. But Travis, like the rest of them didn’t play particularly well so there was no reason for the Evans/Smallwood partnership to be broken up at that point.

I don’t care as it worked out in the end, so thank you Smallwood for that rush of blood.

Yep, that's how it works sometimes. If a young player is good enough they grab their chance.

Think the red was harsh as I hazily remember though!

Just now, Commondore said:

Mowbray, like any manager has a budget to work to. Providing he stays within the parameters of that I don't think the owners or CEO would particularly bother. Mowbray will invariably decide who gets sold, signed or gets a new deal.

Mowbray has said he is constantly fending off calls from agents at this time of year. He would be their first point of contact and that dialogue would most likely include wages. That's how he knew Bauer's agent thought he was worth £40-50k.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Yep, that's how it works sometimes. If a young player is good enough they grab their chance.

It seems your drunken haze affected your memory ?. It was a clear red card and crass stupidity by Smallwood. To remind you they had not long before gone down to ten and I really thought we were on for at least a point. Smallwoods indiscretion handed them the initiative and three quick goals (all from Sharpe) killed us.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The dozens of Geordies the dingles used to sign in the old days. A pal of mine told me when their reserve team played in the North East in the old Central League days the coach would come back more or less empty after the game. The players would all be staying at home for the weekend. The North East terms were notorious for letting top young players slip through their fingers.

Ralph Coates, Brian O'Neill (dirty b*****d), Jimmy Adamson, Dave Thomas, Ray Hankin, all top class players,  and many others joined Burnley as kids from the NE. 

Can't remember the name of their scout but he was well known at the time and he would have been worth his weight in gold these days. Newcastle and Sunderland etc would have known about these players but the old industrial areas in those days used to produce top players by the hundreds so they had plenty to choose from

Does make you wonder though how the North East clubs have had so little success in an area brimming with football talent.

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

How can Mowbray not know which pot he is pissing in Bbrovers2288?  He's been given a budget and just sold Raya. 

Get the feeling that TM in the transfer market is like when your nan would give you 20p to get a bag of chips.  Then you had to patiently point out that chips were now a quid, while she sat there flabbergasted. 

A lot said at the time that those contract extensions were bonkers.  Now we struggle to get the deadwood off the books...again.  Trust Tony.

He got budget from start of summer but with downing, Johnson and incoming outlay of Gallagher fee and wages it’s pretty much not leaving much for a gk and a defenders wages so he is having to get green light that he will be allowed to make these moves. Believe the keeper and defender he wants are both of a decent standard- don’t know names- but it’s the wages that are causing issues and headaches. He is trying to get Gallagher for pretty much the exact raya money.

adam won’t be signed unless one or two moved on to free up wages. Suits both parties at the moment to have him, gets his fitness up and allows us to have a ready made backup in should we manage to offload a few. Not too dissimilar to rodwell deal last year 

• Like 3

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

He got budget from start of summer but with downing, Johnson and incoming outlay of Gallagher fee and wages it’s pretty much not leaving much for a gk and a defenders wages so he is having to get green light that he will be allowed to make these moves. Believe the keeper and defender he wants are both of a decent standard- don’t know names- but it’s the wages that are causing issues and headaches. He is trying to get Gallagher for pretty much the exact raya money.

adam won’t be signed unless one or two moved on to free up wages. Suits both parties at the moment to have him, gets his fitness up and allows us to have a ready made backup in should we manage to offload a few. Not too dissimilar to rodwell deal last year 

How much are we paying Downing and Johnson if they are eating up some of the budget??? I am appreciate the Gallagher fee will be high but the other two??? 

I take it Raya was always going to be sold then? I.e £3million already accounted for 

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

From what I gather he's been unlucky with injuries which may explain why he's a late starter in terms of securing a decent move.

OR

We may have signed a crock, but I'm thinking positive.

Plus, didn't I read on the blurb about him joining us that he was an old pal of Arma's? Maybe he put in a good word for him with DJ or TM?

Also, Gateshead were relegated from the National League - National League (North) at the end of last season as a punishment for financial irregularities under previous ownership. Perhaps they're having to trim their wage bill.

11 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

You're correct. If not slightly pedantic. I was aware he started the game, as did Rothwell, Palmer and Brereton... ergo a rotated 11 (for that time of the season)

The red card meant that Travis went from starting his first game of the season(?) in a token fixture where the manager (presumably) hadn't given us a chance, to being given a run of 4 straight starts... in 4 straight wins.

The rest (thankfully) is history and Smallwood has fallen down the pecking order where he should have been in August. However due to the ridiculous new contract, he is still clinging on at probably 8th choice CM in Mid July.

Slightly pedantic is my MO :) 

The fact remains, despite a few claiming the lad should’ve been involved sooner - he has been blooded, developed and utilised in a way that probably makes him first choice alongside Johnson for next season.

Thats something I’m happy about, whoever you want to give the credit to - Tony, DJ, Trav’s attitude. A mixture of many things? Not a simple “thank god Smallwood forced TM’s hand...”!

• Like 2

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

How much are we paying Downing and Johnson if they are eating up some of the budget??? I am appreciate the Gallagher fee will be high but the other two??? 

Don’t know exact money but they have both came from high spending clubs so it won’t be peanuts 

I take it Raya was always going to be sold then? I.e £3million already accounted for 

Think mowbray was always going to be bringing in another keeper, think as reported raya didn’t like being made the scapegoat and pretty much said if there is an option then sell me then. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S8 & Blue said:

Just now, arbitro said:

It seems your drunken haze affected your memory ?. It was a clear red card and crass stupidity by Smallwood. To remind you they had not long before gone down to ten and I really thought we were on for at least a point. Smallwoods indiscretion handed them the initiative and three quick goals (all from Sharpe) killed us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tHXTBlCCk

Can view it here at about 0:53. Reckless tackle by Smallwood, though it was that odd one where he actually caught way more of Bennett than the Sheffield player... Can see why the ref went for a red, but probably deserved a yellow on closer review!

(Just as an aside on Smallwood, it's worth noting he apparently was keen on long-term deal after our L1 promotion but was only offered a one-year extension. His deal expires after this coming year, so I doubt it'll be too difficult to at least loan him out to cut the wage bill if we find no takers. Hardly a crippling contract extension and seemed fair enough after an excellent L1 campaign but hard to see him making it into the squad much now.)

• Like 6

Think mowbray was always going to be bringing in another keeper, think as reported raya didn’t like being made the scapegoat and pretty much said if there is an option then sell me then. 

Point I’m making is why are we struggling for funds for a GK, when we’ve just sold one for £3million?

Ergo that says to me he was always going to be sold and his total budget included the £3million from the outset.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Point I’m making is why are we struggling for funds for a GK, when we’ve just sold one for £3million?

Ergo that says to me he was always going to be sold and his total budget included the £3million from the outset.

Not struggling for funds as such, trying to play the market to allow him to get the players he really wants in. Would be struggling to get his A list, keeper, defender and striker in currently with squad actually fairly bloated in certain positions - midfield. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biz said:

I don’t remember a single person on this website saying Evans contract was a good idea but you carry painting it as if a select few clever lads on here knew best.

Oh you mean there’s pro’s and con’s to situations? It’s never simply black and white? Get out of town mate - that’s too sensible for here :) 

The shambles? I’m sorry Rev but I disagree. We stayed up, we added quality to squad- yea BB at this point needs to step up but I don’t buy into this constant whinge about transfer business.

As for loans. It’s just the business we are in. If you are a professional (use Reed as an example) who wants to improve and play every week - you’re not going to leave your club until you know that door is shut. Other players will wait for the best money.

You can call it suicidal if you want, I call it a product of being in the scenario we are in. Read a potential tidbit from above, much on hold till EPL decide squads.

Just a reminder for those who can’t remember what a summer shambles looks like;

ADF3D214-1E1E-4565-A786-4AB6B4C1F368.jpeg

Ahh, the man with the most ironic last name in the history of football!

• Like 1