BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not struggling for funds as such, trying to play the market to allow him to get the players he really wants in. Would be struggling to get his A list, keeper, defender and striker in currently with squad actually fairly bloated in certain positions - midfield. 

I think (know) what's getting the majority of fans on edge currently is because TM felt the need to bloat the squad full of players of the same position and decent wages before he signed the keeper and defender (we desperately need).

Come deadline day we might have our upgraded David Raya and Lenihan partner as well as Bradley Johnson, Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing, Sam Gallagher and others...

However the way he has structured and prioritised his (perceived) signings so far (whilst decent players move for very competitive fees to rivals) are leaving fans questioning if he actually has a clue.

I would scream patience is needed... however missing pre-season is very important and will be TM's first excuse for why our shiny new toys are still on the bench in October behind Bennett, Williams etc.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

It’s a bit speculative though.

Travis’ performance could have kept him in the side... you really 100% don’t know.

I can’t remember how he played because I was ballaxed

I thought he was our best player that day, and it seems the manager did too given that, from that point on, he picked Travis more often than Evans and Smallwood put together. So it seems his favouritism is somewhat brittle...

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not struggling for funds as such, trying to play the market to allow him to get the players he really wants in. Would be struggling to get his A list, keeper, defender and striker in currently with squad actually fairly bloated in certain positions - midfield. 

It’s not difficult to understand. The manager is trying to absolutely maximise his budget. To get the best players for the money he has. If he had 30% flex then you can overpay and get players in early. I guess it’s whether people see the value in us waiting and potentially finishing with Downing, Johnson, Gallagher, Ruddy and Hanley as oppose to the first three plus cheaper options...he’ll be judged when the transfer window closes.

• Like 3

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

I think (know) what's getting the majority of fans on edge currently is because TM felt the need to bloat the squad full of players of the same position and decent wages before he signed the keeper and defender (we desperately need).

Come deadline day we might have our upgraded David Raya and Lenihan partner as well as Bradley Johnson, Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing, Sam Gallagher and others...

However the way he has structured and prioritised his (perceived) signings so far (whilst decent players move for very competitive fees to rivals) are leaving fans questioning if he actually has a clue.

I would scream patience is needed... however missing pre-season is very important and will be TM's first excuse for why our shiny new toys are still on the bench in October behind Bennett, Williams etc.

I share your frustration but the players aren’t necessarily signed in priority order. They’re signed based on the availability of the players. Had the Bauer deal dropped in I think we’d all feel better. But I think @Bbrovers2288 has provided some insightful information which should give some comfort that we’re after the right calibration of player...

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

It’s not difficult to understand. The manager is trying to absolutely maximise his budget. To get the best players for the money he has. If he had 30% flex then you can overpay and get players in early. I guess it’s whether people see the value in us waiting and potentially finishing with Downing, Johnson, Gallagher, Ruddy and Hanley as oppose to the first three plus cheaper options...he’ll be judged when the transfer window closes.

Not falling for that one again. We had this talk all last summer of Mowbray sticking to his guns, not budging, not gambling, waiting for his preferred targets to come rather than going elsewhere and risking things.

What happened?

We started throwing silly bids around as deadline day approached, ended up paying £7 million on Brereton, spent 12 months pursuing Patrick Bauer only to see him join Preston and failed to strengthen in January. 

This noble 'sticking to our guns' approach isn't so good if we end up empty handed, overpaying or picking up dross (which has happened in the last two windows).

I thought things were meant to be better planned these days?

• Like 5

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

If Preston get both of them on frees then someone is having a wind up

Hull are as well tbf lol. But still, if we're struggling for funds, would rather get this guy as a 2/3 rd choice striker and spend our money on GK and defence.

Just now, JHRover said:

Not falling for that one again. We had this talk all last summer of Mowbray sticking to his guns, not budging, not gambling, waiting for his preferred targets to come rather than going elsewhere and risking things.

What happened?

We started throwing silly bids around as deadline day approached, ended up paying £7 million on Brereton, spent 12 months pursuing Patrick Bauer only to see him join Preston and failed to strengthen in January. 

This noble 'sticking to our guns' approach isn't so good if we end up empty handed, overpaying or picking up dross (which has happened in the last two windows).

I thought things were meant to be better planned these days?

JHR, when are you going to accept that we aren't in a position to just blow others away in wages and fees?

You’ve used the ever cyclical Brereton argument despite the fact it’s been done to death. What part of “lesser established players have lower wages” is difficult to accept on that transfer?

Why do you think we could afford the more established wages of BJ and Downing? Simple. No fee.

This picking up dross in the last two windows - I don’t personally think Chapman, Rothwell, Armstrong (and even Ben) could ever be fairly described as such.

Im sure you don’t either.

• Like 2

Just now, Biz said:

JHR, when are you going to accept that we aren't in a position to just blow others away in wages and fees?

You’ve used the ever cyclical Brereton argument despite the fact it’s been done to death. What part of “lesser established players have lower wages” is difficult to accept on that transfer?

Why do you think we could afford the more established wages of BJ and Downing? Simple. No fee.

This picking up dross in the last two windows - I don’t personally think Chapman, Rothwell, Armstrong (and even Ben) could ever be fairly described as such.

Im sure you don’t either.

BB will get brought up because it is an example of a panic buy in the dying stages of a window. £7million is a lot of money for someone so raw, even if he’s on minimum wage.

Your flex may hold water, but it still needs to be based on bringing in the right players. The fact Gallagher is being pursued says it will be another season of BB ‘developing’. I bet a lot of clubs would love such a luxury for a 7 million signing.. and yet you constantly talk about being poor relations!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Point I’m making is why are we struggling for funds for a GK, when we’ve just sold one for £3million?

Ergo that says to me he was always going to be sold and his total budget included the £3million from the outset.

Because imo this seasons similar budget still has to have the follow up payments for AA & BB from last summer taken into account therefore he's no headroom hence why the Brereton deal has hamstrung us a while longer.

Very unlikely thee'll be anything for defenders that's why Mowbray is always moving the goalposts and skirting round that one.

36 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

The  A list keeper and defender should be his sole priority. They don't appear to be - instead he has bloated the midfield himself and sounds like most focus is on making sure we get Gallagher in before we decide whether we can have the A list or B list goalie and defender. For me, sod Gally until we've settled the goalie and defender question. It's not like he's a superstar and it's not like we are short in numbers there, or quality when Graham is fit. We are very short in quality (and numbers) in goal and defence even when everyone is fit.

Something else concerns me. Your earlier post indicated that both the keeper and centre half signings might be loans. That would be pretty unhelpful come next summer. We'd then have no keeper again, the same poor defence with Mulgrew a year older and even slower (and out of contract?), Downing gone, Johnson 33, and Gallagher presumably. Basically, this window would achieve, in the longer term, just adding Gallagher and losing Raya, and if we're lucky we could maybe get another good season out of Johnson. For the same budget as last year, I don't care how anyone spins it, that would be disastrous business. It won't have made us anywhere near good enough to go up this season either I shouldn't think.

• Like 5

Just now, Mattyblue said:

BB will get brought up because it is an example of a panic buy in the dying stages of a window. £7million is a lot of money for someone so raw, even if he’s on minimum wage.

Your flex may hold water, but it still needs to be based on bringing in the right players. The fact Gallagher is being pursued says it will be another season of BB ‘developing’. I bet a lot of clubs would love such a luxury... and yet you constantly talk about being poor relations!

We arent poor or “slow building” to the extent people criticise, but we aren’t at the top of the chain.

We aren’t the only team after a certain calibre that will jump into the current first XI - and the parachute teams / bigger turnover clubs are in front.

Its common sense. You can call BB a panic buy if you want, to me it just fits into the logic that we couldn’t attract / afford a player instantly better than Graham, so why not put the funds into someone who might be good enough in a season or two. Whilst keeping running costs down (wages!)

Edited by Biz

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Biz said:

We arent poor or “slow building” to the extent people criticise, but we aren’t at the top of the chain.

We aren’t the only team after a certain calibre that will jump into the current first XI - and the parachute teams / bigger turnover clubs are in front.

Its common sense. You can call BB a panic buy if you want, to me it just fits into the logic that we couldn’t attract / afford a player instantly better than Graham, so why not put the funds into someone who might be good enough in a season or two. Whilst keeping running costs down (wages!)

Because if we don't have the money for players that we need to go into the team right now because we've spent a lot of money on a player that isn't yet ready for the first team, then that's a problem. 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Very good of you to initially put 19 year old Lewis Travis in all those match day squads tbh Stuart, bravo.

?

Strange that nobody thanked me at the time.

The next one is Butterworth. ;) 

• Like 2

Just now, K-Hod said:

Because if we don't have the money for players that we need to go into the team right now because we've spent a lot of money on a player that isn't yet ready for the first team, then that's a problem. 

You don’t know that’s true, it’s assumption. You don’t know that this summer the budget is worse, or better.

7m might be near to our record, but when last a decent championship fullback from last season just cost 25m, it’s a pointless comparison.

The argument you could take that 7m and spread it into wages for key new signings in multiple positions simply ignores the FACT that the best players in this league are probably earning twice our top earner.

Thus - this idea that we’ve spunked any hope of improving the team due to a 19 year old last summer is an utter fallacy imo. Not only that it’s boring AF

Edited by Biz
  • Like 3

Just now, bluebruce said:

The  A list keeper and defender should be his sole priority. They don't appear to be - instead he has bloated the midfield himself and sounds like most focus is on making sure we get Gallagher in before we decide whether we can have the A list or B list goalie and defender. For me, sod Gally until we've settled the goalie and defender question. It's not like he's a superstar and it's not like we are short in numbers there, or quality when Graham is fit. We are very short in quality (and numbers) in goal and defence even when everyone is fit.

Something else concerns me. Your earlier post indicated that both the keeper and centre half signings might be loans. That would be pretty unhelpful come next summer. We'd then have no keeper again, the same poor defence with Mulgrew a year older and even slower (and out of contract?), Downing gone, Johnson 33, and Gallagher presumably. Basically, this window would achieve, in the longer term, just adding Gallagher and losing Raya, and if we're lucky we could maybe get another good season out of Johnson. For the same budget as last year, I don't care how anyone spins it, that would be disastrous business. It won't have made us anywhere near good enough to go up this season either I shouldn't think.

I’m by no means saying it’s running like clockwork, in fact I have probably been one of mowbrays biggest critics. As mentioned previously though it’s striking when certain players become available rather than prioritising. I’m with you that a gk and defender should be higher priority. Been told that gk and defender deal may be frees with high wages, clubs willing to release rather than pay wages 

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

the same poor defence with Mulgrew a year older and even slower (and out of contract?)

Unfortunately he was given a 3 year deal so he won't be out of contract until 2021. I can only imagine how much he will have deteriorated by then.