BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

On 20/02/2019 at 10:07, MarkBRFC said:

I reckon this thread could get over 500 pages before we even have a hint of a signing.

Hopefully you’re accuracy hasn’t improved :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m by no means saying it’s running like clockwork, in fact I have probably been one of mowbrays biggest critics. As mentioned previously though it’s striking when certain players become available rather than prioritising. I’m with you that a gk and defender should be higher priority. Been told that gk and defender deal may be frees with high wages, clubs willing to release rather than pay wages 

Joe Hart as the goalie then?

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, Biz said:

You don’t know that’s true, it’s assumption. You don’t know that this summer the budget is worse, or better.

7m might be near to our record, but when last a decent championship fullback from last season just cost 25m, it’s a pointless comparison.

The argument you could take that 7m and spread it into wages for key new signings in multiple positions simply ignores the FACT that the best players in this league are probably earning twice our top earner.

Thus - this idea that we’ve spunked any hope of improving the team due to a 19 year old last summer is an utter fallacy imo. Not only that it’s boring AF

Hence the inclusion of the word 'IF'. 

Nice to hear from you too! See you in a week's time.....

Edited by K-Hod

Just now, K-Hod said:

Hence the inclusion of the word 'IF'. 

Nice to hear from you too! See you in a week's time.....

BBQ at mine on Saturday. “Negative BRFCS” are on the invite list :) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m by no means saying it’s running like clockwork, in fact I have probably been one of mowbrays biggest critics. As mentioned previously though it’s striking when certain players become available rather than prioritising. I’m with you that a gk and defender should be higher priority. Been told that gk and defender deal may be frees with high wages, clubs willing to release rather than pay wages 

Oh to be clear I was in no way arguing with you, just commenting on the situation as presented. I'm glad for the info, which for some reason I'm assuming is accurate. Maybe it's just the way you talk about it, sounds legit to me. Definitely happier with frees than loans, as long as they're not ancient and they're up to the task.

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

Unfortunately he was given a 3 year deal so he won't be out of contract until 2021. I can only imagine how much he will have deteriorated by then.

Oh Jesus Christ. 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The dozens of Geordies the dingles used to sign in the old days. A pal of mine told me when their reserve team played in the North East in the old Central League days the coach would come back more or less empty after the game. The players would all be staying at home for the weekend. The North East terms were notorious for letting top young players slip through their fingers.

Didn't they have a scout called Hickson or similar who went to work for Southampton and got Shearer down there?

53 minutes ago, Biz said:

JHR, when are you going to accept that we aren't in a position to just blow others away in wages and fees?

You’ve used the ever cyclical Brereton argument despite the fact it’s been done to death. What part of “lesser established players have lower wages” is difficult to accept on that transfer?

Why do you think we could afford the more established wages of BJ and Downing? Simple. No fee.

This picking up dross in the last two windows - I don’t personally think Chapman, Rothwell, Armstrong (and even Ben) could ever be fairly described as such.

Im sure you don’t either.

Chapman, Rothwell and Brereton in their cumulative 3 years at the club have contributed next to nothing. Cant really go any further than that at this point. 

How much do you reckon Brereton is getting paid? Bearing in mind his contract at Forest, England youth appearances and substantial transfer fee. Reckon he'll be cheap? He needs a new agent if he isn't one of our bigger earners. 

Anyways, we aren't going to agree. You seem to think everything is hunky dory and all going to plan and I think it's a shambles.

1 hour ago, RoverCanada said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tHXTBlCCk

Can view it here at about 0:53. Reckless tackle by Smallwood, though it was that odd one where he actually caught way more of Bennett than the Sheffield player... Can see why the ref went for a red, but probably deserved a yellow on closer review!

(Just as an aside on Smallwood, it's worth noting he apparently was keen on long-term deal after our L1 promotion but was only offered a one-year extension. His deal expires after this coming year, so I doubt it'll be too difficult to at least loan him out to cut the wage bill if we find no takers. Hardly a crippling contract extension and seemed fair enough after an excellent L1 campaign but hard to see him making it into the squad much now.)

In the modern game that will always be called as a red. At speed, out of control and endangering an opponents (and teammates) safety.

I called it in real time and Rovers accepted the three game ban.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Don’t know exact money but they have both came from high spending clubs so it won’t be peanuts 

Think mowbray was always going to be bringing in another keeper, think as reported raya didn’t like being made the scapegoat and pretty much said if there is an option then sell me then. 

I heard before the beginning of this last season that TM and MV were not big fans of Raya and saw he had many areas which were lacking. 

They have wanted a more experienced keeper for at least this entire season and selling Raya was always on the cards. 

I heard this this over a year ago but when nothing materialised, I assumed things had changed. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Chapman, Rothwell and Brereton in their cumulative 3 years at the club have contributed next to nothing. Cant really go any further than that at this point. 

How much do you reckon Brereton is getting paid? Bearing in mind his contract at Forest, England youth appearances and substantial transfer fee. Reckon he'll be cheap? He needs a new agent if he isn't one of our bigger earners. 

Anyways, we aren't going to agree. You seem to think everything is hunky dory and all going to plan and I think it's a shambles.

They can only contribute if the manager plays them  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

"Cumulative 3 years" ? Oh man you are coming out with some real doozeys these days. 

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

I’m not speculating on his exact wage, I know he isn’t in a huge wedge because of the waggott interview about Ben last September. When the fantastic “flex” was born.

All been done a thousand times.

Its also funny that we’ve “over paid” yet you’ve just given ample reasons for why NFFC wanted 15m the previous January..!

I don’t think everything is hunky dory at all either. That’s a classic response to avoid questioning! Just like the classic “oh stop moaning” response!

There is no balance in taking everything that “could be/has been/will be” beneficial to our direction, ignoring that in favour of highlighting the potential of Ben B not reaching his potential! 

Look at the academy FFS. How many other league teams would bite their own fingers off to be given the steady influx of new players we have? 

Theres definitely lots of room for improvement - most fans would say that (bar Man City perhaps..) but you’re correct we will never agree if you think it’s a complete “shambles”.

Donut muncher, Gordon Greer, Wes Brown, a bucket full of premier league loans and 250k for Derrick Williams total business. That is what I’d call “a shambles”.

• Like 3

If we have limited money and it is spent on Gallagher in preference to GK and defender then there is something wrong.  Everyone knows our priority needs.

Nothing against Gallagher coming in if we can afford all 3 but if we can't then surely he would be the wrong choice.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

"Cumulative 3 years" ? Oh man you are coming out with some real doozeys these days. 

Could you enlighten me as to what any of those players have brought to the party since arriving here some time ago? 

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

If we have limited money and it is spent on Gallagher in preference to GK and defender then there is something wrong.  Everyone knows our priority needs.

Nothing against Gallagher coming in if we can afford all 3 but if we can't then surely he would be the wrong choice.

There will be all 3 though, it’s just at varying qualities. Gallagher is one mowbray likes and sees resale value on so is happy to spend as he is available

• Like 1

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

There will be all 3 though, it’s just at varying qualities. Gallagher is one mowbray likes and sees resale value on so is happy to spend as he is available

But if all 3 means blowing the money on SG and then looking for loans/frees in the other positions then, to me, it's the wrong policy.

If we have to pay out to get a decent defender and GK and we then can't afford Gallagher, so be it. Gallagher is a luxury compared to the other positions

• Like 3

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

But if all 3 means blowing the money on SG and then looking for loans/frees in the other positions then, to me, it's the wrong policy.

If we have to pay out to get a decent defender and GK and we then can't afford Gallagher, so be it. Gallagher is a luxury compared to the other positions

If the better gks are defenders aren’t there to be targeted then you can’t get them. 

Would not be surprised if we see a whole lot more of some of the youngsters this season. 

Thinking on Gallagher is that should graham get injured we don’t have a like for like and the team is disjointed. Arma and bb are for inside forward roles off the wing, sg is for strong frontman/ hold up , learn and take over from graham. I think that one makes sense

• Like 2