BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

9 minutes ago, DE. said:

I posted a list a few pages back, every 20+ goal scorer last season cost significantly less than £5m, except Rodriguez who was bought for £12m when WBA were in the Premier League. It was all simply good scouting from the lower and european leagues, with a home grown prospect or two thrown in. Granted many of these were bought a few seasons back, but it just shows the value of looking ahead (and I don't mean by spending £7m on a youngster). 

If Gallagher scored 8-10 goals then I'd consider that reasonable considering he'd probably be spending most of his game time on the right wing. But it would only be reasonable if he was on loan or bought for significantly less than £5m. 

A good post countered with FACTS. 

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Given Gallaghers agent i'm always a bit suspicious of us being used in regards to him its happened every window since he's been here although i'm sure they'd love to get him here and if so we'll overpay.

Question is does Mowbray really want him ( whether we get him or not ) ?

Who is his agent?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Beanie01289 said:

No but in that situation the Dr is an expert giving you solicited advice in this situation your opinion is coming unsolicited everyday and while your completely entitled to have it your no more an expert than anyone else. 

We get it YOU don't like Mowbray YOU think Brereton was a bad deal YOU don't want Gally I however liked him during his last spell here I'd quite like to sign him am I right I don't know time will tell but you don't either. 

Never mind it won't be long and Merc will be predicting this useless manager with his crap signings to be winning 4-0 every other game.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, OssyLad said:

Guy on twitter saying we’re close to agreeing a loan to buy for Reed. Not sure how true it is before anyone bites my head off ?

That would be nice, doubtful in my mind but nice.  Another midfielder though bloody hell.

Edited by USABlue

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Whilst Gallagher per se isn't the answer imo, a top quality striker to replace Graham is an absolute must for me.

Our transfer policy really does appear to be a joke. We know what the price for Gallagher is, if we have the money and we really want him we should pay it or alternatively move onto someone else we are happy to pay the fee for.

If we don't have the money then similarly we should move on and stop wasting the window hoping Southampton will sell him to us at a price that isn't the price.

If I want a Ferrari that's £200k I'm not going to get it by offering £120 k , six months down the line I'm still going to be stood there with my nose pressed to the window. I'm not going to suddenly get the item on the cheap just because they feel sorry for me no matter how many times I walk round looking at it amusingly.

Not that Gallagher is "a Ferrari" of a player, more like a Ford Mondeo but the principle still applies.

I’m having a deja vu moment - I’m sure I remember reading almost exactly the same stuff all last summer about Adam Armstrong who supposedly had a release clause of about £3.5m

Post after post of ‘we should just pay it and stop faffing around’ and ‘Mowbray doesn’t know what he’s doing’ for about 2 months until low and behold we signed him for about 50% of what posters on here had been urging us to pay. 

Maybe, just every now and again, we should give the club and the manager the benefit of the doubt, no?

• Like 4

Just now, DaveyB said:

I’m having a deja vu moment - I’m sure I remember reading almost exactly the same stuff all last summer about Adam Armstrong who supposedly had a release clause of about £3.5m

Post after post of ‘we should just pay it and stop faffing around’ and ‘Mowbray doesn’t know what he’s doing’ for about 2 months until low and behold we signed him for about 50% of what posters on here had been urging us to pay. 

Maybe, just every now and again, we should give the club and the manager the benefit of the doubt, no?

Ended up paying £3m for Armstrong. More or less what the reported asking price was all along.

The assumption all of last summer  was that at £3m he would be out of our price range until we unexpectedly went on a last minute spending spree.

The issue with Gallagher is not that he is a OK striker but whether he offers a good improvement on what we have. We already have 5 strikers unless we are looking at selling one of them. The reality is we desperately need central defenders and a decent keeper which I would rather see the money we are supposedly spending on Gallagher going towards. 

• Like 1

The Gallagher transfer can wait till the last day of the window for me, if at all.  We don't NEED him, although he'd be decent backup. Just sort the defence and keeper situation then leave the 'nice to have' transfers till later when prices and demands drop. If we miss out on him so be it.

• Like 7

5 million on a centre half or a goalkeeper before we even think about another striker for that kind of money. 

Strikers win you games, defence’s win you titles.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Ended up paying £3m for Armstrong. More or less what the reported asking price was all along.

The assumption all of last summer  was that at £3m he would be out of our price range until we unexpectedly went on a last minute spending spree.

Closer to £1m wasn't it?

• Like 4

Just now, roversR4ever said:

The issue with Gallagher is not that he is a OK striker but whether he offers a good improvement on what we have. We already have 5 strikers unless we are looking at selling one of them. The reality is we desperately need central defenders and a decent keeper which I would rather see the money we are supposedly spending on Gallagher going towards. 

If we were to take a risk on an unfinished article, I'd rather we took a gamble on a strong and fast African player who'd be a pain in the arse for defenders.

9 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not struggling for funds as such, trying to play the market to allow him to get the players he really wants in. Would be struggling to get his A list, keeper, defender and striker in currently with squad actually fairly bloated in certain positions - midfield. 

Still confident Gallagher will get done or are we likely to miss out?

Just now, Pedro said:

Closer to £1m wasn't it?

Reported as either 1.3 or 1.7, not sure which. Total rising to 3 million with add ons. No idea what the adds on, might be quite easy to meet (appearances and goals) or a tad unlikely (promotion, England caps). We'll never know what we end up paying.

• Like 1

Wigan or us, Gallagher will choose us every time. However, the more we dilly dally, Brentford is going to look very tasty despite how many mates he has up here.

That said, is another striker more of a priority over a GK and CB? Not in my view it isnt. 

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

So far - this window doesn't fill me with confidence.

Been pretty rollocks thus far hasn’t it? Two ageing freebies in as well as two under 23s. Need major surgery on our back line and the clock is ticking. Really starting to think Mowbray doesn’t see it that way though. IMV if we don’t improve it, we’ll be certs for a dog fight.

Very much hoping to be proved I’m wrong before people have a pop.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3