BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

14 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

The Gallagher transfer can wait till the last day of the window for me, if at all.  We don't NEED him, although he'd be decent backup. 

I'm speechless at that point of view.

Graham  -  knackered.

Armstrong - jury still out a this level

Samuel  - not good enough

Could Brereton or Nuttall come good? Possibly but it would be a colossal gamble.

I know we need a CH and a keeper as well but the keeper situation is entirely self inflicted as we didn't have to sell and presumably the sale will fund a replacement anyway.

A QUALITY striker who is actually good enough is at least as important for me.

• Like 1

I'm not adverse to signing Gallagher. We need to shift someone out if he did come in though.

The problem is that if we sign him for £5m and then we don't sign a centre back, it's a total waste.

I fear Mowbray is going to loan a defender and then basically sit them on the bench for the most part.

2 hours ago, OssyLad said:

Guy on twitter saying we’re close to agreeing a loan to buy for Reed. Not sure how true it is before anyone bites my head off ?

Excellent news

finally some back up for bennet. Nyambe the new CB

Just need a new keeper now and we will be smashing them dingles on MNF in no time 

damien Johnson’s blue and white army

• Like 1

I think we're at the pessimistic stage of thinking:

Will missing out on Sam Gallagher for £5m plus wages be a disaster? No.

Would not bringing in a quality GK and CB be a disaster? Yes

Do you trust TM to spend £5m on Sam Gallagher and still bring in a quality GK and CB? Also no.

Rationally, buying Gallagher shouldn't and probably isn't being done at the expense of the GK and CB, and I'm sure (?) it's simply another piece of the managers puzzle.

However, it's natural to be worried that he is spunking all our funds on Sam Gallagher because he actually has no clue how to actually spend his budget properly... (BB, August 2018).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Still confident Gallagher will get done or are we likely to miss out?

Mowbray likes him, Gallagher willing to come here but finances still not adding up. Wouldn’t be surprised if we missed out. Jealous of Brentford to be honest, never thought I’d be saying that. 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Mowbray likes him, Gallagher willing to come here but finances still not adding up. Wouldn’t be surprised if we missed out. Jealous of Brentford to be honest, never thought I’d be saying that. 

Cheers i'd be personally really disappointed if we missed out on him think he has bags more potential than Brereton and he would be a good potential replacement for Graham, I think this window is potentially turning disastrous  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ended up paying £3m for Armstrong. More or less what the reported asking price was all along.

The assumption all of last summer  was that at £3m he would be out of our price range until we unexpectedly went on a last minute spending spree.

£1.75m according to Mowbray - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-bargain-price-blackburn-paid-15000800.amp

and Benitez - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rafa-benitez-decided-sell-adam-15631184.amp

But I guess if you know different then...

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

£1.75m up to potentially £3m with add ons wasn't it? Pretty reasonable.

Yeah £1.75m upfront then £1.25m if we ever spend money on defensive players... so just the £1.75m.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

The Gallagher transfer can wait till the last day of the window for me, if at all.  We don't NEED him, although he'd be decent backup. Just sort the defence and keeper situation then leave the 'nice to have' transfers till later when prices and demands drop. If we miss out on him so be it.

Can't agree with  this. We have ONE decent, proven striker and he's well into his thirties. 

We need 4 players at least----centre-back, striker, keeper and left-back.

All needed last time, never addressed. Problems are increasing every time we have a failed window (ie every time there's a window)

Incredible that TM doesn't cop more flack than he does. Charmed life.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Ralph Coates, Brian O'Neill (dirty b*****d), Jimmy Adamson, Dave Thomas, Ray Hankin, all top class players,  and many others joined Burnley as kids from the NE. 

Can't remember the name of their scout but he was well known at the time and he would have been worth his weight in gold these days. Newcastle and Sunderland etc would have known about these players but the old industrial areas in those days used to produce top players by the hundreds so they had plenty to choose from

Does make you wonder though how the North East clubs have had so little success in an area brimming with football talent.

Plus John Angus, Jimmy Robson, John Talbut, Ray Pointer, Gordon Harris, Trevor Steven, even the likes of  Stan Ternent,  they had a conveyor belt of players coming down from the North East. Once that stopped it was down hill all the way.

28 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm speechless at that point of view.

Graham  -  knackered.

Armstrong - jury still out a this level

Samuel  - not good enough

Could Brereton or Nuttall come good? Possibly but it would be a colossal gamble.

I know we need a CH and a keeper as well but the keeper situation is entirely self inflicted as we didn't have to sell and presumably the sale will fund a replacement anyway.

A QUALITY striker who is actually good enough is at least as important for me.

I think you need to read the post properly first of all.

I said we don't NEED Gallagher, I didn't say we don't need a striker. We play with 1 striker up top, anyone we bring in is gonna be playing second fiddle to Graham, this season at least.

Graham isn't knackered at all, in fact he looks in tip top shape.

Its debatable how much more Gallagher offers than all the other crop of strikers to be quite honest too. If bringing him in a) cuts into our budget set aside for a gk/defender b)limits Breretons game time (or even Chapmans if he plays him on the pissing wing) then it's bad business.

As I originally stated, leave it till we sort the major priorities I.e keeper and defence then pick up a bargain striker or a loan if need be.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, AJW said:

I just don't think Gallagher will score more than 12-15 goals a season and £5m is lot for such a limited return 

Well that's incredibly self deprecating given Dack and Graham both scored 15 goals in the Championship last season.

Though we'll probably sell them both to bolster the midfield before long.

Edited by CD_93

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Plus John Angus, Jimmy Robson, John Talbut, Ray Pointer, Gordon Harris, Trevor Steven, even the likes of  Stan Ternent,  they had a conveyor belt of players coming down from the North East. Once that stopped it was down hill all the way.

You mean Jack Hixon.

Sadly, Jack died about  10 years ago.

Also, credited for taking Shearer to Southampton.

Think he worked for NUFC in his latter years but too late for them.

Got friends who knew him and spoke very highly of him as a person.

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

Can't agree with  this. We have ONE decent, proven striker and he's well into his thirties. 

We need 4 players at least----centre-back, striker, keeper and left-back.

All needed last time, never addressed. Problems are increasing every time we have a failed window (ie every time there's a window)

Incredible that TM doesn't cop more flack than he does. Charmed life.

Crap did the window close? I missed that.

GK, CB, ST in that order.

Fail to bring in those by the end of the window and perhaps he’ll be getting the kind of criticism you would prefer.

• Like 1

I’ve been at work all day, came on here too see the topic was “Hot” and I thought at this time of night that must mean something.. Incase I’ve missed something then it looks like the same as it has since last season ended. I’m losing patience ?

• Like 4

Just now, Butty said:

I’ve been at work all day, came on here too see the topic was “Hot” and I thought at this time of night that must mean something.. Incase I’ve missed something then it looks like the same as it has since last season ended. I’m losing patience ?

Tell me about it. All very boring - thought transfer windows were meant to be exciting!