BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, starscascade said:

Just noticed Marshall hasn't received a squad number at Norwich. Would you have him back? I quite liked him down the flank but we have so many midfielders now why would we?

Has wonderful talent, but no.

1 - we're well stocked for players in is position, like you say

2 - I don't think he's reliable. Not saying that this is necessarily down to a bad attitude, he may have just been a confidence player, but for whatever reason he goes for long spells playing within himself. In the latter months under Bowyer he should've been our main creative outlet, and he consistently under delivered.

Wish him well, but not for me. 

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Most of the people criticising the Gallagher deal are doing so because our resources should be prioritised in terms of fixing the defence. Gallagher would come into a position whereby we already have our player of the season and someone who cost 7m and is supposed to come good this season, and he wasnt that good last time, so hes a luxury we cannot afford without first fixing the defence. Its understandable why people are so anxious that it will remain unfixed because it has been neglected for so long.

Everything depends on the rest of the window. If he fixes the defence, we may have a chance. If he doesnt, then presumably pressure will intensify if it continues to be our achilles heel when aspiring to be higher in the league as per his own expectations. Lets hope its the former. Everyone wants the defence fixed.

This is the biggest fear for the summer. We all recognise the glaring weakness in our side and its painful when the feeling is it's been knocked down the list of priorities.

Towards the end of the season Mowbray spoke as if he was due to go out and spend on the defence. Come the end of June and article appeared in the LT with Mowbray playing down the need for defenders due to finishing the season strongly, being over-emotional about the situation at the time and needing to strengthen across the board.

Extra worrying given the fact he resigned at Coventry due to losing 10 on the bounce, blaming himself for not signing a big nasty centre back. Not signing one after the league one season has just bitten us.

I'd like Gallagher but we've other areas where money would be better spent if it is a case of one or the other. A better keeper and defender with a cheaper striker would improve us over a 46 game season much more than a cheaper keeper and defender with more money spent on a striker, looking at the current squad we have imo.

Of course we'll ultimately only know the score when the window closes. We might even end up spending decent fees on a keeper, centre back and a striker in which case this all counts for nothing. But with previous history and evidence so far it feels like we're trying to add the icing before the eggs.

• Like 2

Just now, Biz said:

Other than Raya - I don’t think we are weaker than last year really.

Conway, Reed, Downing and Rodwell - Reed was the nearest to the first XI and most would agree he’s been replaced by Johnson.

Take into account the improvement in a few of our younger lads - keeping hold of Lenihan and Dack; I don’t quite get the worry.

You used Brentford as an example of a team more likely (I think it was you) however - how do you think they feel? Selling their top scorer and best defender to finance new players? 

I think many of them would rather be in our position, not having to move on our best first. 

You make some good points but, while I am glad we are not losing Dack or Lenihan (it seems) I think we have a very unbalanced side.

This is particularly true of defence which has that League 1 feel about it. The worry is that our goals against column was alarmingly bad and you would have thought fixing it would have been the first priority.

However we live in hope.

Surely the sticking point with Gallagher is his current contract. He's still signed until 2021 on a rumoured £25k/week. Gallagher won't be keen to sacrifice salary that he's due, but he's balancing that with a desire for first-team football. Does Southampton hold firm and insist on getting all of his wages off their books, plus a hefty transfer fee? Can they drum up other offers? Do they know (and do his suitors assume) that they cave last minute knowing they ultimately want Gallagher off their books? Maybe we offer Gallagher a lower wage at £15k/week, but add a sign on fee to partially compensate the drop in wages with some upfront money or we offer him longer term to give him long-term security... All these options can have FFP implications too as the way you structure it will alter what years the financial costs hit/when profits are realised.

it's not hard to imagine how these dealings can get complicated.

It'd be nice if we had "**** you" money to make inflated take it or leave it offers, but that's simply not where we're at...

Just to add on Armstrong being an example where we successfully drove a hard bargain (an approach not without risk...), it's worth mentioning that only a week before his signing, Mowbray referred to Armstrong and Chapman as being 'D signings' that weren't at the top of our list: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16389050.they-are-in-the-mix-rovers-boss-on-chapman-and-armstrong/

Of course managers talk **** when publicly talking about transfer dealings. It's all part of any negotiation.

• Like 1

Just now, starscascade said:

Just noticed Marshall hasn't received a squad number at Norwich. Would you have him back? I quite liked him down the flank but we have so many midfielders now why would we?

I wouldn't touch him. Blew hot and cold far too often for me. If he was really that good of a winger, we wouldn't have had him playing RB. 

I'd much rather persist with the likes of Armstrong and Chapman, as their potential improvement would take them well above what Marshall was for us. Not forgetting players like Rothwell and Downing, who are better players than him anyway. 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Haha nothing from me I’m afraid. Although been told the quieter the club are the closer they are to a deal as they tighten leaks and press interference to avoid any vultures scuppering deals last minute, so they have been quiet so potentially something brewing. I know that lieutweiler won’t be starting against Charlton, I’m pretty sure of that

Cheers.

It would be good to get a keeper through the door soon, we don't want to be leaving this one late in the window.

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Haha nothing from me I’m afraid. Although been told the quieter the club are the closer they are to a deal as they tighten leaks and press interference to avoid any vultures scuppering deals last minute, so they have been quiet so potentially something brewing. I know that lieutweiler won’t be starting against Charlton, I’m pretty sure of that

Any more progress on Gallagher 

I think some of the negativity or disappointment with the Gallagher deal is it doesn't really feel as though we've progressed or moved on. Mowbray has done a lot of talking over the last 2 years about progressing the club on and off the pitch, scouting, recruiting smartly, yet here we are in summer window number 3 spending weeks pursuing players either the manager knows from the past or has worked with before. In the case of Gallagher that was during a dreadful and painful time for the club that we all want to forget.

I actually like Gallagher, think he'd fit in well and could end up being an asset for us. But it does feel very much 'meh'. He's not a signing that will get people excited or believing in a bright new future. Not when we look at what has happened to other recent signings in his position.

I also agree that the focus really should be on keeper and defence and the comments and lack of activity there is a real concern. Is Mowbray repeating past mistakes in neglecting that area or is it his bosses instructing him on which areas to invest and not sanctioning expenditure on defence, where the margins for profits are less?

• Like 4

Just now, PeteJD13 said:

Any more progress on Gallagher 

Not heard anything more, still conversations taking place but don’t see this one as an armstrong deal where we stood firm and got a bargain, other interested parties so it’s pay the going rate or move on 

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not heard anything more, still conversations taking place but don’t see this one as an armstrong deal where we stood firm and got a bargain, other interested parties so it’s pay the going rate or move on 

That surely needs to be the stance by the club. We can’t keep dallying on it - as you say either pay the going rate or move on. Sounds like given the fee it may be influencing other potential moves, so crucial we either sh*t or get off the pot here.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Who needs defenders and a goalkeeper when we've got 47 midfielders:

BUTTERFIELD TRAINS WITH BLACKBURN

Jacob Butterfield is training with Blackburn with a view to making a permanent move to Ewood Park from Derby, Sky Sports Newsunderstands.

The former Middlesbrough midfielder is known to Tony Mowbray from his time on Teeside and the Rovers boss may add Butterfield, who cost Derby County £5m, to his squad following last week’s acquisition of midfielder Bradley Johnson. 

Just now, blue_n_white99 said:

Jacob Butterfield is training with Blackburn with a view to making a permanent move to Ewood Park from Derby, Sky Sports Newsunderstands.

The former Middlesbrough midfielder is known to Tony Mowbray from his time on Teeside and the Rovers boss may add Butterfield, who cost Derby County £5m, to his squad following last week’s acquisition of midfielder Bradley Johnson. 

So if he signs we will have on the books Smallwood, Evans, Travis, Davenport, Butterfield, Johnson and Buckley to play CM 

Just four short of a full XI of central midfielders 

Edited by CambridgeRover
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think some of the negativity or disappointment with the Gallagher deal is it doesn't really feel as though we've progressed or moved on. Mowbray has done a lot of talking over the last 2 years about progressing the club on and off the pitch, scouting, recruiting smartly, yet here we are in summer window number 3 spending weeks pursuing players either the manager knows from the past or has worked with before. In the case of Gallagher that was during a dreadful and painful time for the club that we all want to forget.

I actually like Gallagher, think he'd fit in well and could end up being an asset for us. But it does feel very much 'meh'. He's not a signing that will get people excited or believing in a bright new future. Not when we look at what has happened to other recent signings in his position.

I also agree that the focus really should be on keeper and defence and the comments and lack of activity there is a real concern. Is Mowbray repeating past mistakes in neglecting that area or is it his bosses instructing him on which areas to invest and not sanctioning expenditure on defence, where the margins for profits are less?

If he, as you say, would be a good signing. Should everthing else, like him being here before, not be irrelevant? 

I'm not sure it's accurate to say the margins of profit for defenders is less. It really depends on the player. So I doubt that is the reason. I do acknowledge, for some reason, defence has been pretty neglected over the years. 

Butterfield is definitely one I could see put on the wing. On a free, he could be a good signing. As we all know though, we have soooo many cms 

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

So if he signs we will have on the books Smallwood, Evans, Travis, Davenport, Butterfield, Johnson and Buckley to play CM 

Just four short of a full XI of central midfielders 

You forgot Adam ?

Smallwood will leave and I have a sneaky feeling Evans too and Davenport on loan. 

55 minutes ago, starscascade said:

Neither good enough or doesn't have the right character. Went on strike/"head not in the right place" when forcing his move to Wolves in 2017. I can't see Mowbray having that. What an amazing group the 17/18 was. Anthony Stokes etc, also remember a picture of Joao and Emnes sitting on some boxes in the hallway after coming late, Mowbray wasn't having any of that :) 

• Like 3

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You forgot Adam ?

Smallwood will leave and I have a sneaky feeling Evans too and Davenport on loan. 

You need 4 cms at least for rotation, injuries and suspensions. I think Travis, Johnson, Davenport and Evans are most likely. Downing can fill in there as well as playing a few positions. Davenport had a good half season for Burton in the Championship when we bought him, so I think he will stay. 

It will be very interesting to see if Buckley stays or go on loan.  Will probably be better for most of our youngsters to be a regular on loan, than a handful of matches from the bench.

• Like 3

Just now, Neal said:

Can't help but feel that if Sam Gallagher is costing 5 million that John Marquis would be a better value for money. 

Value for money is more than just costing less. Marquis is 27, has played most of his career in league 2 and has had 2 great seasons in league 1 and 1 decent one. Gallagher scored 12 goals here in a poor team. Would Marquis score 12 in a season at this level? I didn't think much of him when we played them in league 1. Some of those league 1 defences are awful.  Then who would have the greater sell on? I think you would have to say Gallagher. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 5

Just now, briansol said:

You need 4 cms at least for rotation, injuries and suspensions. I think Travis, Johnson, Davenport and Evans are most likely. Downing can fill in there as well as playing a few positions. Davenport had a good half season for Burton in the Championship when we bought him, so I think he will stay. 

It will be very interesting to see if Buckley stays or go on loan.  Will probably be better for most of our youngsters to be a regular on loan, than a handful of matches from the bench.

I reckon he will sign at least 1 of Adam and Butterfield 

• Like 1

I'm of the belief that TM is accumulating CM players to deprive all our rivals of every CM player around. A very cunning plan young Baldrick, just one thing wrong with that plan........it's complete bollocks.

We haven’t finished signing midfielders yet...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I reckon he will sign at least 1 of Adam and Butterfield 

I think it will probably be Butterfield out of the two. Younger, might be able to sell him on at some point. He strikes me as another Corry Evans.

If we were to sign one of them I think I would probably prefer Adam, I think he gives us something different to what we currently have in CM.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1