BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, starscascade said:

Just noticed Marshall hasn't received a squad number at Norwich. Would you have him back? I quite liked him down the flank but we have so many midfielders now why would we?

No although I think he could've been a cracking wing back in this league but yet another who ended up taking the piss here. Head not right whilst getting thousands per week knowing the club sniffed a fee and was selling anything not nailed down so helped him through the door so it should stay shut now.

Football wise there's always a case for the likes of him and Hanley and a few others but character wise no, there's a reason they haven't prospered since they left and that's it so no coming back to easy street.

• Like 3

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I think it will probably be Butterfield out of the two. Younger, might be able to sell him on at some point. He strikes me as another Corry Evans.

If we were to sign one of them I think I would probably prefer Adam, I think he gives us something different to what we currently have in CM.

Adams was also linked with The Pars

Re: Charlie Adam
Topic Originator: ipswichpar   like | nolike Like: 1 
Date:   Thu 6 Jun 07:29

He would walk this league. Mind you, he's that lazy he would walk in any league.

2 hours ago, Biz said:

I can post what I like.

You highlighted problems and suggested the manager lives a charmed life. As I said originally - balance is great mate! 

The fact it’s the club showing that expectation and aspiration means that it’s not my opinion either - the reality is TM and co have done well, even if a few with seriously short memories cannot accept that.

Done whats expected of them. The minimum. Promotion was the bare minimum. Surviving in the championship was the bare minimum and that was touch and go at one point. Don't hail mowbary as some great coach who has worked wonders. Basically, he's 'mr minimum'

Just now, roverandout said:

Done whats expected of them. The minimum. Promotion was the bare minimum. Surviving in the championship was the bare minimum and that was touch and go at one point. Don't hail mowbary as some great coach who has worked wonders. Basically, he's 'mr minimum'

I don’t think survival was ever touch and go, that’s potentially stretching the truth :)

However I do agree that he’s met the minimum expectations throughout - and that’s basically what we needed, so I’m at least happy to say he has proven capable.

Compared to recent “great coaches” like (pains to say) Dyche - nobody could argue that TM has been that good, but this is a key season in his Rovers career.

I think, in a few years, probably after he’s left - a lot of Rovers fans will be grateful for his influence in his time!

Just now, ChickenBolty said:

"Mr Minimum". What an insult that is. 

I think you forget the state of the moral of the squad, fans and entire community before he was appointed. I for one, can say that it finally feels like being a Blackburn Rovers fan again and it's took some years to feel that way. 

The owners clearly trust him and this has shown by the significant transfer fees he has had since taking over. 

I think his biggest downfall was spending the money on Bretherton. If that transfer didn't happen I think the general consensus of the fan base would be that last season was a success. However, unfortunately (and understandably) people felt that money could have been used to strengthen other areas of the squad. 

The grass isn't always greener and for me and I don't think there is many managers out there who care as much for their club as Tony does for us. 

Worse than Mowbray Magoo?

It's a beggar when you can see both sides of the argument!

In the last poll on here, I was one all for cutting Mowbray some slack this season. While I think he's the first 'proper' Football League manager we've had since Sam, I felt that last season, he'd been perhaps too loyal to the lads who brought us back from League One. But we ended up stable in mid-table so I could allow for that loyalty.

However, I'm beginning to find his collection of midfielders bewildering. Especially at a time when we haven't - yet - replaced Raya or bought the big, ugly [optional extras, both!] first choice centre back to play alongside Lenihan. I feel - almost! - sure he's got some irons to pull out of the fire but must confess to being more concerned than I have been at any time since he arrived.

• Like 6

Just now, m1st said:

In the last poll on here, I was one all for cutting Mowbray some slack this season. While I think he's the first 'proper' Football League manager we've had since Sam, I felt that last season, he'd been perhaps too loyal to the lads who brought us back from League One. But we ended up stable in mid-table so I could allow for that loyalty.

However, I'm beginning to find his collection of midfielders bewildering. Especially at a time when we haven't - yet - replaced Raya or bought the big, ugly [optional extras, both!] first choice centre back to play alongside Lenihan. I feel - almost! - sure he's got some irons to pull out of the fire but must confess to being more concerned than I have been at any time since he arrived.

My only hope is that we are 2/3 way through a novel and all the ends will be tied in the last 50 pages or so. Then, again, maybe it is a shit novel, after all.... called Midfield Cuckoos...

• Like 1

Just now, m1st said:

I'm similar - but I think i'd feel a whole lot better if I didn't sit here refreshing all the time and reading into every little rumour.

Might have to look away and learn patience.

• Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I'm similar - but I think i'd feel a whole lot better if I didn't sit here refreshing all the time and reading into every little rumour.

Might have to look away and learn patience.

Does it help to know you're not the only one, S8 & Blue?

Insidious, isn't it?!

• Like 1

There is almost 4 weeks left yet isnt there in this window?

Thats a life time really when you consider how late everything seems to happen these days in these windows.

Its not ideal but its the way things work these days.

Loads more players become available in the next week or two as they realise in pre season they arent in the first team picture and they start looking elsewhere.

Premier league teams start looking to loan out players soon as they set their final squads.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he, as you say, would be a good signing. Should everthing else, like him being here before, not be irrelevant? 

I'm not sure it's accurate to say the margins of profit for defenders is less. It really depends on the player. So I doubt that is the reason. I do acknowledge, for some reason, defence has been pretty neglected over the years.

Only thing I can think with the defence is maybe TM did a review and decided Lenihan, Williams, Mulgrew along with Nyambe and Magloire as cover is sufficient.

However if he did come to that conclusion he should be sacked. Our only good enough CB is Lenihan and he is injury prone. All the rest are not good enough, with Mulgrew being an absolute liability of the highest order and also injury prone.

I have to pray despite the lack of surface level evidence the management team are working furiously on CB deals behind the scenes.

If I was them I would release a press statement that defence is a priority just to give clarity.

• Like 3

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Only thing I can think with the defence is maybe TM did a review and decided Lenihan, Williams, Mulgrew along with Nyambe and Magloire as cover is sufficient.

However if he did come to that conclusion he should be sacked. Our only good enough CB is Lenihan and he is injury prone. All the rest are not good enough, with Mulgrew being an absolute liability of the highest order and also injury prone.

I have to pray despite the lack of surface level evidence the management team are working furiously on CB deals behind the scenes.

If I was them I would release a press statement that defence is a priority just to give clarity.

And add another 25% on to any fee we might pay.

Unfortunately it makes sense to keep us in the dark and come across as willing to walk away.

Taking the popular opinion that Lenihan is our best defender (I agree by the way), what was our record like when both Mulgrew and Lenihan played?

I'm not questioning that we need to replace Mulgrew to kick on, but I'm not fully convinced he's completely done either. Just wondered whether there were any glaring stats suggesting we didn't improve as much as you'd expect when Lenihan came back from injury and it was in fact when Mulgrew was dropped for Williams that we started to improve. 

I appreciate I could look this up (although I don't have time), but I feel like someone might've done some analysis on this previously.

Just now, RoverKyle said:

Taking the popular opinion that Lenihan is our best defender (I agree by the way), what was our record like when both Mulgrew and Lenihan played?

I'm not questioning that we need to replace Mulgrew to kick on, but I'm not fully convinced he's completely done either. Just wondered whether there were any glaring stats suggesting we didn't improve as much as you'd expect when Lenihan came back from injury and it was in fact when Mulgrew was dropped for Williams that we started to improve. 

I appreciate I could look this up (although I don't have time), but I feel like someone might've done some analysis on this previously.

Someone did come up with stats on how we fared with Mulgrew in the team compared to when he wasn't - I remember it being quite grim reading to be honest. 

Edited by JacknOry

TBH I think williams is ahead of mulgrew now. Not a fan of williams at LB, but I dont think he has ever really let us down much at centre back. Thought we finished last season quite well with him and Lenihan as the pair.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

TBH I think williams is ahead of mulgrew now. Not a fan of williams at LB, but I dont think he has ever really let us down much at centre back. Thought we finished last season quite well with him and Lenihan as the pair.

Apart from the two free headers we gave Swansea on the final day which they scored from!

Williams really isn't the answer back there, he should be someone to come and fill in for 3 or 4 games because of injury's not a regular starter.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 4

You can asign goals to every defender. Lenihan certainly has his fair share to.

Im not saying williams is a starter, I just said imo he is ahead of mulgrew at this stage.

Id still rather it is Lenihan plus a new signing back there

• Like 3