BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

5 minutes ago, roverandout said:

He came about after shearer left

Nope.

You know he was the world record transfer before Shearer to Newcastle?

(If you’re scrolling past, we aren’t signing R9, he’s too young)

Edited by S8 & Blue

12 hours ago, roverandout said:

Done whats expected of them. The minimum. Promotion was the bare minimum. Surviving in the championship was the bare minimum and that was touch and go at one point. Don't hail mowbary as some great coach who has worked wonders. Basically, he's 'mr minimum'

Nail on the head.

In that respect the attitude and culture around the Club seems to be identical to when Bowyer was here "Do the bare minimum."

Don't bother turning up in home games until half time, just put it in for 45 mins (or less). On the odd occasion you do string a few wins together  and people start thinking you might be able to achieve something then throw in a few bad performances and results to ensure that normality and the status quo are restored asap.

All this nonsense about long term plans puts no pressure on the players to produce anything out of the ordinary or achieve anything either. As long as you do the bare minimum I.e. survive, it's happy days.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I know. I mean he didn't come to prominence until he had that amazing season at Barcelona

Well... he’d been in a World Cup winning squad, become the world’s most expensive footballer and won FIFA World Player of the year by the end of 96 so some people must have heard of him.

Proper off topic this, sorry.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Well... he’d been in a World Cup winning squad, become the world’s most expensive footballer and won FIFA World Player of the year by the end of 96 so some people must have heard of him.

Proper off topic this, sorry.

Didn't play a single minute at the 94 world cup. My point is no one really knew much about Ronaldo until his move to Barcelona

Just now, roverandout said:

Didn't play a single minute at the 94 world cup. My point is no one really knew much about Ronaldo until his move to Barcelona

Maybe not in Blackburn!

But he was the most expensive transfer of all time when he went there.

He was pretty well known.

• Like 1

It's quite regrettable thinking that during those early to mid 90's, Blackburn Rovers could have (financially and even reputationally) signed almost any player in world football... the fact it "fell apart" so quickly after 1995 was a catastrophe and over loyalty to the 1994/1995 team... sounds familiar ?.

Zidane (£3.5m) obviously being the famous example, but the fact we signed the likes of (no disrespect) Holmes, Coleman, Gudmundsson, McKinlay and Croft, when we could have been bidding for Dennis Bergkamp (£11m), Lilian Thuram (Free), Rivaldo (£10m) and Clarence Seedorf (£3m) who all moved within 1 year of winning the Prem. 

Anyway, back to 2019 and Jacob Buttefield and Tom White...

Signing tomorrow, I can feel it!

• Like 5

Bit worrying that Mowbray has dampened down expectations to the point where having brought in a 35 year old and a 32 year old on free transfers into an area where we were numerically already well stocked, and having sold our first choice keeper with no idea who's going to replace him, many people now seem happy with the idea of only signing a replacement keeper and a centre half.

The keeper isn't really an addition or improvement, it's trying to put us back into roughly the position we were before we sold Raya. Although I'd wager his replacement won't be as good.

As things stand with just over three weeks to go before the start of the season, we've replaced Conway with Downing, Reed with Johnson, have no first choice keeper, one decent CH and a 35 year old leading the attack.

Although certain posters try to portray everything that happens as a positive and as part of some grand design, I can't believe the majority would have been remotely happy with that had you offered it at the end of last season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Nope.

You know he was the world record transfer before Shearer to Newcastle?

(If you’re scrolling past, we aren’t signing R9, he’s too young)

While we're waiting for some news/signings/Prem teams to announce their squads....

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bit worrying that Mowbray has dampened down expectations to the point where having brought in a 35 year old and a 32 year old on free transfers into an area where we were numerically already well stocked, and having sold our first choice keeper with no idea who's going to replace him, many people now seem happy with the idea of only signing a replacement keeper and a centre half.

The keeper isn't really an addition or improvement, it's trying to put us back into roughly the position we were before we sold Raya. Although I'd wager his replacement won't be as good.

As things stand with just over three weeks to go before the start of the season, we've replaced Conway with Downing, Reed with Johnson, have no first choice keeper, one decent CH and a 35 year old leading the attack.

Although certain posters try to portray everything that happens as a positive and as part of some grand design, I can't believe the majority would have been remotely happy with that had you offered it at the end of last season.

I agree with almost everything here, but...look I get that you and you alone don't like Graham, but do you need to age him as well? The bloke is 33, not 35.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

I agree with almost everything here, but...look I get that you and you alone don't like Graham, but do you need to age him as well? The bloke is 33, not 35.

Apologies. Thought he was 35 in August not 34. Point still stands though.