BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

5 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

It's quite regrettable thinking that during those early to mid 90's, Blackburn Rovers could have (financially and even reputationally) signed almost any player in world football... the fact it "fell apart" so quickly after 1995 was a catastrophe and over loyalty to the 1994/1995 team... sounds familiar ?.

Zidane (£3.5m) obviously being the famous example, but the fact we signed the likes of (no disrespect) Holmes, Coleman, Gudmundsson, McKinlay and Croft, when we could have been bidding for Dennis Bergkamp (£11m), Lilian Thuram (Free), Rivaldo (£10m) and Clarence Seedorf (£3m) who all moved within 1 year of winning the Prem. 

Anyway, back to 2019 and Jacob Buttefield and Tom White...

Signing tomorrow, I can feel it!

Dugary, Zidane and Roberto Baggio would all have come to Ewood in the summer of 94/5. Kenny would have continued as boss too.

The reality sadly was the rest of the Walker family were in Jack's ears and stopped him from spending more of what they saw as their inheritance. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

While we're waiting for some news/signings/Prem teams to announce their squads....

Bobby Robson in his first autobiography stated that when at PSV, Kenny talked to him about signing Ronaldo.

if only...

• Like 3

TONY Mowbray is looking to strike the right balance in his squad as he bids to compete at the sharp end of the Championship.

The Rovers boss has so far added experience to his dressing room in the form of Stewart Downing and Bradley Johnson.

Former England winger Downing, who turns 35 in 10 days, has been there, seen it and done it during his time with Middlesbrough, Aston Villa, West Ham and Liverpool.

Johnson is 32 and having previously won promotion from the second tier and played in the Premier League with Norwich, was in the Derby side that lost out in the play-off final to Aston Villa in May.

Goalkeeper David Raya has been the most high profile departure with Mowbray making it clear he wants a senior replacement for the 23-year-old after his move to Brentford.

“We hope Stewart and Bradley can come and reproduce what they’ve done in the past,” said the Rovers boss.

“They are very talented footballers.

I know they are in their 30s but we’ve got players like (Dan) Butterworth and (John) Buckley and (Tyler) Magloire and other young players who we really like and think can push on.

“We’re just trying to get a balance right with experienced players and the youth and exciting players that are coming through.”

Downing was first through the door this summer, quickly followed by Johnson who has signed a two-year deal.

Having played in the top flight during his time at Carrow Road, he was also a play-off winner in 2015 alongside Elliott Bennett. 

Down the pecking order at Derby, Mowbray moved quickly to get his man having been impressed by what he saw at close quarters last season.

Johnson made 34 appearances for the Rams in all competitions in 2018/19 and started both games against Rovers, a 0-0 draw at Pride Park last September and a 2-0 defeat for Frank Lampard’s men at Ewood Park in April.

“When we played at Pride Park last season he was the best player on the pitch, and by a considerable way I thought,” Mowbray said of his new recruit.

“Even though we managed to scrape out a 0-0 draw against them that night he controlled the game with his left foot and his power and his composure.

“I’m just delighted we’ve managed to get him on board.

“I hope he comes here and enjoys his football and makes us a better team.”

Work continues in the transfer market for Rovers who have also added midfielder Tom White and goalkeeper Joe Hilton to their Under-23s squad.

At least one goalkeeper is set to arrive after Raya’s departure while new additions in the final third are a priority with Sam Gallagher continuing to be linked to an Ewood Park return.

The last sentence seems to a continuing theme though doesn't it.

If you had the worst away defensive record in the entire football league, surely a couple of new defenders would be the priority, we aleady have 4 strikers and Dack on the books.

• Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

The last sentence seems to a continuing theme though doesn't it.

If you had the worst away defensive record in the entire football league, surely a couple of new defenders would be the priority, we aleady have 4 strikers and Dack on the books.

The fact that Mowbray started the summer off by boldly stating to the entire fanbase at the consultation meeting broadcast on Radio Lancashire that defenders were coming, make no mistake suggests that he was in no doubt as to the priority.

The fact we are now in mid July, have now got a weaker defence having lost adequate cover in Rodwell and Downing and added nothing, and we're seeing frequent stories which appear to suggest defence is not going to be addressed, is a massive concern.

It is my belief that something happened in India and Mowbray is unable to address the defence. Very concerning.

Of course still time but it doesn't look good. For me if there is no work done to address the defence then Mowbray's credibility will be severely undermined and he will have nowhere to hide should we repeat last season's defensive effort.

• Like 4

Just now, JHRover said:

The fact that Mowbray started the summer off by boldly stating to the entire fanbase at the consultation meeting broadcast on Radio Lancashire that defenders were coming, make no mistake suggests that he was in no doubt as to the priority.

The fact we are now in mid July, have now got a weaker defence having lost adequate cover in Rodwell and Downing and added nothing, and we're seeing frequent stories which appear to suggest defence is not going to be addressed, is a massive concern.

It is my belief that something happened in India and Mowbray is unable to address the defence. Very concerning.

Of course still time but it doesn't look good. For me if there is no work done to address the defence then Mowbray's credibility will be severely undermined and he will have nowhere to hide should we repeat last season's defensive effort.

I suspect he’s been to Pune and come back with a smaller budget to work with and any signings over a million have to go back to the owners. Suspect there faith in his judgement has been ruined by the money wasted on Brereton 

Edited by PeteJD13

Just now, PeteJD13 said:

I suspect he’s been to Pune and come back with a smaller budget to work with and any signings over a million have to go back to the owners. Suspect there faith in his judgement has been ruined by the money wasted on Brereton 

If they dont trust him to spend to the extent that he's unable to sign any defenders then he shouldn't be the manager.

• Like 3

Just now, PeteJD13 said:

I'm sure both Mowbray and Waggottt stated, after the India trip, that the budget was similar to last year. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tom Stinny said:

I don't see Mowbray as the manager. More like a caretaker for the club and its owners. 

Don't forget that this is all conjecture. It isn't fact.

Let the window run its course and pass judgement then or as the new signings arrive.  

• Like 2

Just now, BigUts said:

Don't forget that this is all conjecture. It isn't fact.

Let the window run its course and pass judgement then or as the new signings arrive.  

Will do. But Mowbray himself has said defence is not his priority any more which is a massive about turn on his earlier comments. Let's wait and see but we carry on leaking goals he's going to have nowhere to hide.

Just now, PeteJD13 said:

Even if he had a smaller budget - it should have all been used on defence. We could have coped in all other positions more than we will be able to cope at the back. Build from the back is widely known to be the way - TM seems to build from the middle. 

If the minimum of a GK and a CB (starter quality) is not brought in during this window - I will not be happy at all. Really we need two CBs and even Sharpe in the paper previously wrote that we were going to bring in Bauer and a younger option.

• Like 1

End of the day Johnson came out of the blue, as did some of the signings last season. So I’m fine with letting the window play out.

But it has to be a worry that we are three weeks from KO with no keeper and no improvements to one of the worst defences in the division. Let’s hope it’s an expert game of poker he’s playing...

• Like 1

Would there be any chance of getting the United young centre back who was on loan at villa? As they've seemed to have signed a couple permanently already. Not going to attempt his name but he's quick and can get about. Possibly a loan deal. It would show intent and I can't see any other premier league club except villa looking at him but they've already signed a few.

37 minutes ago, Biz said:

TONY Mowbray is looking to strike the right balance in his squad as he bids to compete at the sharp end of the Championship.

The Rovers boss has so far added experience to his dressing room in the form of Stewart Downing and Bradley Johnson.

Former England winger Downing, who turns 35 in 10 days, has been there, seen it and done it during his time with Middlesbrough, Aston Villa, West Ham and Liverpool.

Johnson is 32 and having previously won promotion from the second tier and played in the Premier League with Norwich, was in the Derby side that lost out in the play-off final to Aston Villa in May.

Goalkeeper David Raya has been the most high profile departure with Mowbray making it clear he wants a senior replacement for the 23-year-old after his move to Brentford.

“We hope Stewart and Bradley can come and reproduce what they’ve done in the past,” said the Rovers boss.

“They are very talented footballers.

I know they are in their 30s but we’ve got players like (Dan) Butterworth and (John) Buckley and (Tyler) Magloire and other young players who we really like and think can push on.

“We’re just trying to get a balance right with experienced players and the youth and exciting players that are coming through.”

Downing was first through the door this summer, quickly followed by Johnson who has signed a two-year deal.

Having played in the top flight during his time at Carrow Road, he was also a play-off winner in 2015 alongside Elliott Bennett. 

Down the pecking order at Derby, Mowbray moved quickly to get his man having been impressed by what he saw at close quarters last season.

Johnson made 34 appearances for the Rams in all competitions in 2018/19 and started both games against Rovers, a 0-0 draw at Pride Park last September and a 2-0 defeat for Frank Lampard’s men at Ewood Park in April.

“When we played at Pride Park last season he was the best player on the pitch, and by a considerable way I thought,” Mowbray said of his new recruit.

“Even though we managed to scrape out a 0-0 draw against them that night he controlled the game with his left foot and his power and his composure.

“I’m just delighted we’ve managed to get him on board.

“I hope he comes here and enjoys his football and makes us a better team.”

Work continues in the transfer market for Rovers who have also added midfielder Tom White and goalkeeper Joe Hilton to their Under-23s squad.

At least one goalkeeper is set to arrive after Raya’s departure while new additions in the final third are a priority with Sam Gallagher continuing to be linked to an Ewood Park return.

Interesting that he names Butterworth, Buckley and Magloire whilst intimating that he’s happy to sign older players because they believe in those particular players...?