BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Tom Stinny said:

Would there be any chance of getting the United young centre back who was on loan at villa? As they've seemed to have signed a couple permanently already. Not going to attempt his name but he's quick and can get about. Possibly a loan deal. It would show intent and I can't see any other premier league club except villa looking at him but they've already signed a few.

Tuanzebe ?

hes a good player. I read villa want him back next season so highly unlikely

Just now, Mattyblue said:

£5million and bought from a PL club, with the contracts that entails, what does that do for the ‘flex’?

'Flex' doesn't suit this narrative so it's swept aside....for now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

At least if the Gallagher deal finally gets done, we can move onto other targets.

Not a bad signing i don't think. Needs to be played correctly though.

Must mean someone is for the chop, assuming it would be Nuttall.

Thats the problem here. I will take him if the lad is played frequently and in his natural position. Will TM do that? I'm not sure.

8 hours ago, roverandout said:

Didn't play a single minute at the 94 world cup. My point is no one really knew much about Ronaldo until his move to Barcelona

Of course loads of people with an interest in football knew about Ronaldo. When barca signed him it was for a world record fee. They didn't randomly just sign some guy nobody had heard of. 

• Like 4

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Thats the problem here. I will take him if the lad is played frequently and in his natural position. Will TM do that? I'm not sure.

Well TM still sees BB as a wide forward. One thing, there is going to be lots of competition for places in every position apart from defence where we would be lucky to even field one right now.  

8 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

At least if the Gallagher deal finally gets done, we can move onto other targets.

Not a bad signing i don't think. Needs to be played correctly though.

Must mean someone is for the chop, assuming it would be Nuttall.

If its dropping Nuttall for Gallagher I will be happy. I am looking forward to our premiership strike partnership of Gallagher and Brereton. 

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bit worrying that Mowbray has dampened down expectations to the point where having brought in a 35 year old and a 32 year old on free transfers into an area where we were numerically already well stocked, and having sold our first choice keeper with no idea who's going to replace him, many people now seem happy with the idea of only signing a replacement keeper and a centre half.

The keeper isn't really an addition or improvement, it's trying to put us back into roughly the position we were before we sold Raya. Although I'd wager his replacement won't be as good.

As things stand with just over three weeks to go before the start of the season, we've replaced Conway with Downing, Reed with Johnson, have no first choice keeper, one decent CH and a 35 year old leading the attack.

Although certain posters try to portray everything that happens as a positive and as part of some grand design, I can't believe the majority would have been remotely happy with that had you offered it at the end of last season.

OK so you say we were numerically well stocked in the positions we signed Downing and Johnson for. Really. So if we didn't sign them you wouldn't be saying we need a winger or a centre mid? Sure. 

See this is the problem, I don't see anybody beating the overly positive drum. Some are just saying there is time left in the window and we don't need to press the panic button just yet. You and some others then try and spin that as something strange. 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Well TM still sees BB as a wide forward. One thing, there is going to be lots of competition for places in every position apart from defence where we would be lucky to even field one right now.  

Yep I’d be surprised if TM plays SG anywhere but ‘wide forward’. He’s not good enough in the air (despite being 6’4) to play the Graham role. Strange one this for me. The GK and CB wait goes on.

• Like 2

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Really is a crazy situation when we are feeling positive that our club might spend 5 million quid on a young striker but at the same time equally concerned it's money down the drain because the manager won't play him in his position and we still desperately need a keeper and good defenders.

Scattergun !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

£5million and bought from a PL club, with the contracts that entails, what does that do for the ‘flex’?

Ya, could work out expensive. Say a 4 year contract, plus the fee and you are into double figures in the millions. I just wonder is the flex open ended or will it impact us this window. 

I reckon the rest of the business will be a keeper on a free and a CB on loan. 

6 hours ago, DeeCee said:

While we're waiting for some news/signings/Prem teams to announce their squads....

What a player but it should also be noted - what a team.

How can you not score when you have Zidane, Figo and Beckham behind you in midfield and Roberto Carlos and Salgado as your wingbacks?

Gallagher dropped off during the 16/17 but the potential was there early doors, so not unhappy with the signing.

That said...... I can't be the only person who shudders a bit whenever I see the name Gallagher......

''Why did he cross the ball? Take it to the corner!!!!"

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Really is a crazy situation when we are feeling positive that our club might spend 5 million quid on a young striker but at the same time equally concerned it's money down the drain because the manager won't play him in his position and we still desperately need a keeper and good defenders.

Scattergun !

Well someone will have to replace Graham IF he doesn't continue to deliver ad he had been. If he keeps delivering, then should he not keep his place? 

See we need a striker one way or another and we only play one up top. I would prefer Gallagher, Armstrong or Brereton to be given a run in their favoured position, but if they don't offer more than DG, we'll then they will need to get on somewhere else. 

8 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

It's quite regrettable thinking that during those early to mid 90's, Blackburn Rovers could have (financially and even reputationally) signed almost any player in world football... the fact it "fell apart" so quickly after 1995 was a catastrophe and over loyalty to the 1994/1995 team... sounds familiar ?.

Zidane (£3.5m) obviously being the famous example, but the fact we signed the likes of (no disrespect) Holmes, Coleman, Gudmundsson, McKinlay and Croft, when we could have been bidding for Dennis Bergkamp (£11m), Lilian Thuram (Free), Rivaldo (£10m) and Clarence Seedorf (£3m) who all moved within 1 year of winning the Prem. 

Thanks to the Walker Family who did everything they could to sabotage Rovers that summer. Of course they did the same thing with the trustees for years as well. Harford has to take some of the blame. He took the club from Champions to rock bottom in just over 12 months that certainly wasn't Jack's fault. If Jack did ask why the club needed Zidane what the hell was the answer? Maybe someone should look into that.

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

If Gallagher does sign, then i'm guessing that Mowbray's long term plan (season after next) will be 2 out of Gallagher, Brereton & Armstrong up top, as it's unlikely that both Graham and Dack will be here after this season for me.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well someone will have to replace Graham IF he doesn't continue to deliver ad he had been. If he keeps delivering, then should he not keep his place? 

See we need a striker one way or another and we only play one up top. I would prefer Gallagher, Armstrong or Brereton to be given a run in their favoured position, but if they don't offer more than DG, we'll then they will need to get on somewhere else. 

The argument there would be that we already bought somebody to replace Graham last season for quite a whack. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

That isn't the way to build a good team though that's just signing players then trying to accommodate them i'm afraid.

• Like 3

Just now, JacknOry said:

The argument there would be that we already bought somebody to replace Graham last season for quite a whack. 

Ya, indeed. If he doesn't come good at some point during his contract, that deal will look even worse. Spending the money there made no sense in hindsight as things stand. 

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

That isn't the way to build a good team though that's just signing players then trying to accommodate them i'm afraid.

Exactly, all this buying players and then playing them in all kinds of positions just so they get on the field. Need a player for a position?buy him and the he has to compete with the others that have been signed for his position.

• Like 1

If we do sign Gallagher for the reported £5 million, we will have spent £12 million on two strikers and neither are guaranteed starters if TM sticks to his current system of one up top with either Dack or Rothwell playing in a free role behind.

• Like 3

Just now, Kamy100 said:

If we do sign Gallagher for the reported £5 million, we will have spent £12 million on two strikers and neither are guaranteed starters if TM sticks to his current system of one up top with either Dack or Rothwell playing in a free role behind.

in the meantime - how much have we spent on defence?

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

No, not really because if they aren't better than the actual wingers in the squad, they won't get into the team in that position. Signing Gallagher to deputise for Graham is a good way to build a team imo. It's up to him and Brereton to win their places wherever they apply themselves best.