BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The only explanation I have other than the V's not allowing him to spend on defenders is that he's been foolishly blinded by Lenihan's return to form and fitness towards the end of the season and Williams coming in and doing okay. We all know Darragh has an injury in him, while Williams really, really isn't the long term answer at centre half. It is a huge concern; we will continue to concede for fun until new blood is brought in.

I just think they look at each area or even position with investment/return eyes to be honest.

A lot of young players in defence who came through or cost peanuts = Big potential returns with 1 old head propping it up.  They won't spend big money there because it cancels that out.

Forwards present different cash back opportunities so that aea gets investment as any one of them has a good season they quickly increase in value.

Keeper, well one sold for modest money will likely be replaced by a free.

Midfield,  cheap recruitments are ten a penny and there's a few there already swallowing up wages but a few might be easier to move out.

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

I just think they look at each area or even position with investment/return eyes to be honest.

A lot of young players in defence who came through or cost peanuts = Big potential returns with 1 old head propping it up.  They won't spend big money there because it cancels that out.

Forwards present different cash back opportunities so that aea gets investment as any one of them has a good season they quickly increase in value.

Midfield,  cheap recruitments are ten a penny and there's a few there already swallowing up wages but a few might be easier to move out.

Yup.

The emergence of Rothwell and Travis has meant than midfield has developed some value to the club. Same with Dack in an attacking sense. Any moves for attackers and midfielders can then be offset with expected value with what we already have there.

Defence, Lenihan apart, there is not much value there. Nymbe perhaps but he has not yet pushed on as I would have hoped. Bell, again, potential but hardly going to attract bids. They wont spend here - as there is not enough to offset it.

• Like 3

Just now, JacknOry said:

Another striker turned winger lol. Gally, BB, Armstrong, Samual. Surprised he hasnt put Nuttal and Graham on the wings yet.

There's time !

Interesting when a lot say about getting someone in to replace Graham but it'll never happen like for like he has a specific role he's grown into over the last few seasons. Hardly any around like him now and it's not the way he played when he was younger he's tailored his game to suit the lack of legs a bit like a watered down version of Shearer in his later Newcastle days.

Takes a good player to do that so almost impossible to replace straight off that's why a formation change is inevitable at some point I feel, regardless of selling Dack. Seems they are front loading with forwards to prepare for all this which isn't a bad way of thinking but opens it up to many experiments this season I reckon from an already tinker obsessed gaffer.

Agghhhh ...?

• Like 1

Maybe he sees Rodwell as the final piece in his defensive jigsaw. God. 

Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Rodwell. 

Like you would think for a centre half, I won't say big and ugly, but let's say old fashioned, himself, mowbray would see we need someone like that. 

With the current centre halves we are so reliant on Lenihan for defensive aggression. If he gets injured we are back with a defence that a physical centre forward will look at and laugh basically. 

If ye think Lenihan and Williams or Lenihan and Mulgrew looks bad try Mulgrew and Williams, Williams and Rodwell or the worst of all Mulgrew and Rodwell. Shudder. 

Surely another centre half on the way.... Surely.. Has to be 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

We will have 6 strikers on the books who will all ideally have an ambition to play as a striker. We only have one striker position.

Their seond option is to play as a wide striker, so thats 5 strikers competing with Chapman, downing and Rothwell for those positions. 8 players competing for two positions.

Meanwhile in CB we have an injury prone Lenihan, Mulgrew who most will accept is probably past it now, Williams who is a left back by trade, and Magloire, a young kid who can run really fast but has yet to show many other qualities.

oh and an international gk.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

We will have 6 strikers on the books who will all ideally have an ambition to play as a striker. We only have one striker position.

Their seond option is to play as a wide striker, so thats 5 strikers competing with Chapman, downing and Rothwell for those positions. 8 players competing for two positions.

Meanwhile in CB we have an injury prone Lenihan, Mulgrew who most will accept is probably past it now, Williams who is a left back by trade, and Magloire, a young kid who can run really fast but has yet to show many other qualities.

Don't worry

"Defenders are coming........"

• Like 2

Just now, JacknOry said:

oh and an international gk.

Agree with that except Williams as a left back by trade. We just played him there because he is left footed and got away with it in league 1?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, tomphil said:

Very short sighted in today's market though; you only have to look at the profit the Bees have made on Konsa in one season. Full back prices are also astronomical these days too. It's like the V's are still stuck in the 90s.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Agree with that except Williams as a left back by trade ?

Well he has played as part of a back three before at Bristol but other than that, he is a LB in my book - though most would argue against him being one of those either :)

23 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

If we do sign Gallagher for the reported £5 million, we will have spent £12 million on two strikers and neither are guaranteed starters if TM sticks to his current system of one up top with either Dack or Rothwell playing in a free role behind.

£12m isn’t a lot of money in today’s market. Especially when you’ve got a 34yr Old currently holding the fort.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Theoretically yes but you are conveniently side stepping how our managers does things going off what we've seen and there is no reason to think it'll be any different. What actual wingers do you refer to anyway ?

Chapman - only likely to be bit part player, Bennett - great workhorse but probably worst winger in division.

Yes pal, and you’re conveniently side stepping the very obvious change in tactics and playing style that the manager (and players) have been talking about for weeks.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

£12m isn’t a lot of money in today’s market. Especially when you’ve got a 34yr Old currently holding the fort.

That 12 million could have bought a Konsa or 2 x Pontus Jannsens. The fact that we have spent it on two strikers in two seasons that are not better than a 34-year old we currently have and have neglected a defence that is one of the worst int he country, is worrying to say the least.

• Like 2

Just now, JacknOry said:

That 12 million could have bought a Konsa or 2 x Pontus Jannsens. The fact that we have spent it on two strikers in two seasons that are not better than a 34-year old we currently have and have neglected a defence that is one of the worst int he country, is worrying to say the least.

Every club spends more on strikers than defenders. They cost more and have better resale value. The key here is...will we strengthen in defence and a keeper? I think we will. If not, we’ve failed.

• Like 3

Gallagher is not a bad signing, but we would really need to look at moving out Samuel and Nuttall (even on loan), as I can't see them getting anywhere near the team.

Graham, Gallagher, Brereton and Armstrong should be enough options in the 18 and with the other two out on loan with a January recall in case we have injuries.

Rothwell, Chapman, Armstrong, Bennett, Dack, Butterworth and Gallagher as wide /CAM options is plenty too.

Likewise Travis, Johnson, Davenport, Downing, Evans, Buckley (Adam, Butterfield), Smallwood and Bennett are crazy numbers for CM. 

That's 20 players, TWENTY, for 6 positions. Yet we have 1 (poor) GK and 5 (actual) defenders. Insanity.

• Like 5

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Agree with that except Williams as a left back by trade. We just played him there because he is left footed and got away with it in league 1?

We signed him as a left back. Without him coming in we wouldn't have had anyone to play there as we got shut of Spurr and Kilgallon.

It really was needs must time as the season approached and we couldn't put a defence out so spent a bit on William's and gave Mulgrew a multi year deal.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Every club spends more on strikers than defenders. They cost more and have better resale value. The key here is...will we strengthen in defence and a keeper? I think we will. If not, we’ve failed.

All clubs spend more - we dont spend anything. 

not going to get much resale from our strikers when we have thirty of them competing for one spot. A spot occupied by an aging player that has no resale value at all.

Time to go yet but my god, if defence and GK is not addressed adequately, we're in for a long season (maybe a short one actually as we might be down by xmas).

Armstrong for 1.5, Brereton for 7 and Gallagher for 5. All strikers by trade yet none will be playing there. 

Meanwhile in February we had no fit CBs and had to throw Magloire in.

Makes no footballing sense and I refuse to accept Mowbray is entirely responsible for this. Its Venky policy. 

• Like 3

I have thought it for a while and so far this window doesnt change my view. His signings always seem like he wants to change to 3 at the back.

He has had his various dabbles at it, but never commits to it. If we played 3 at the back I could understand all his dealings a little more.

4 strikers in DG, SG, BB and AA is a good mix competing for 2 spots up front over the course of a season.

I just wish if that is his plan he would just crack on with it and take the lumps that will come with the change.

Just seems like he doesnt know wether to stick or twist with our tactics

Just now, FGS5635 said:

I have thought it for a while and so far this window doesnt change my view. His signings always seem like he wants to change to 3 at the back.

He has had his various dabbles at it, but never commits to it. If we played 3 at the back I could understand all his dealings a little more.

4 strikers in DG, SG, BB and AA is a good mix competing for 2 spots up front over the course of a season.

I just wish if that is his plan he would just crack on with it and take the lumps that will come with the change.

Just seems like he doesnt know wether to stick or twist with our tactics

Even so, we can barely field two quality CBs and are from having the depth to have three back there

• Like 1

We simply have to change formation if this Gallagher deal goes through. Even if Armstrong is now seen as a winger, and DG is seen as first choice striker, Dack picks himself and that means there’s rothwell chapman downing brereton bennett and samuel competing for the other wide spot.

More than that, it’s not inconceivable that against Charlton our bench will have £15million worth of strikers sat on it whilst downing and bennett run the wings like headless chickens.