BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, nathan_rovers1 said:

I mean, could it be the possibility that Mowbray is working on the centre defenders and the such like and nothing appropriate has come up? 

Fairly happy with Gally, think he will deliver massively in a better team than he had previously. 

I have faith in the big man! 

Thats the hope but this has been the hope for about 300 windows now for me. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, could work out expensive. Say a 4 year contract, plus the fee and you are into double figures in the millions. I just wonder is the flex open ended or will it impact us this window. 

I reckon the rest of the business will be a keeper on a free and a CB on loan. 

That simply wouldn't be an acceptable allocation of resources. I'm amazed you seem to think it would be.

Not sure what you mean by open ended here? But yes, spending upwards of 10 million on a player between fee and wages would impact other areas this window.

If we’re to play 5 at the back, we need to sign 3 CB’s, no question about it. Mulgrew ain’t up to it and Williams should be sold. If you’re operating 3 CB’s you need at least 5 in the squad you feel can play there, we have 1. 

I’d be a lot less surprised to see us operate a 433 next season with Dack as one of the 3 as he mentioned England play it around April time if I remember? Just after we played Villa? 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Even so, we can barely field two quality CBs and are from having the depth to have three back there

Depends what your take is on 3 at the back. The clubs that are succesful with it tend to play full backs at the outer 2 and a proper centre half in the middle.

So we'd be more Williams, Lenihan, Nyambe kinda setup.

If not saying thats a good 3, just it explains his lack of signings at centre half. Explains why he seems to prefer wing back type full backs etc

And just to clarify, fairly happy with Gallagher, rate him a lot. He only needs to hit 15 goals once and in today’s market you’re definitely recouping the transfer fee we’re said to have agreed with Southampton for him.

Just think it could, and should, be better spent.

Just now, JHRover said:

Armstrong for 1.5, Brereton for 7 and Gallagher for 5. All strikers by trade yet none will be playing there. 

Meanwhile in February we had no fit CBs and had to throw Magloire in.

Makes no footballing sense and I refuse to accept Mowbray is entirely responsible for this. Its Venky policy. 

I wonder 

Here are Mowbrays west Brom signings 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-albion-tony-mowbray-12793111.amp

Only two defenders by my count. I only just scanned the names. Hoefkens and Ollsson. Two decent centre halves in fairness, but the vast majority of his signings were midfielders... 

God I would just love to see us splash some cash on a defender or goalkeeper. Even psychologically it would give the team a boost. 

If we don't strengthen and we continue conceding goals like last season, I'd say the players will even be pissed with the situation. 

• Like 3

Never mind the fees we payed for Armstrong, Brereton and probably now Gallagher too... Dominic Samuel cost more than our entire defence.

Denying there is something beyond Mowbray’s control going on is burying your head in the sand.

Venkys won’t spend on defenders.

Just now, bluebruce said:

That simply wouldn't be an acceptable allocation of resources. I'm amazed you seem to think it would be.

Not sure what you mean by open ended here? But yes, spending upwards of 10 million on a player between fee and wages would impact other areas this window.

Where did I say that I think it would be acceptable? I just said what I think will happen 

By open ended I mean, if Gallagher signs a 4 year deal, will his future wages mean we have less to spend this summer or will it come out of future budgets. Obviously coming out of future budgets would be better. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

If we’re to play 5 at the back, we need to sign 3 CB’s, no question about it. Mulgrew ain’t up to it and Williams should be sold. If you’re operating 3 CB’s you need at least 5 in the squad you feel can play there, we have 1. 

I’d be a lot less surprised to see us operate a 433 next season with Dack as one of the 3 as he mentioned England play it around April time if I remember? Just after we played Villa? 

He's mentioned a change in formation and hes also mentioned Liverpool's set up in the past as well?

4-3-3 would make more sense than switching to a back 3, a formation we've struggled with at times when he's tried before.

37 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Doubt that very much as it means you don't get the best outta Dack 

I think it was a joke from the England film cant remember the title, but a funny film all the same. someone will enlighten us.

Just now, davulsukur said:

He's mentioned a change in formation and hes also mentioned Liverpool's set up in the past as well?

4-3-3 would make more sense than switching to a back 3, a formation we've struggled with at times when he's tried before.

4-3-3 wouldn't be a huge change from last season. It would just mean the two either side of Dack would push up and Dack would drop a bit to join the two midfielders. Could work if Dack didn't drop too much and the two wingers start contributing more goals and assists. Spreading the goals and assists around is almost as important as sorting the defence imo. We can't rely so heavily on Dack and DG

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom

I just can't see Mowbray playing without two midfielders in the centre. Two DM's has been a constant throughout his tenure, along with strikers on the wings. I'd be surprised to see either change at this point. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

I did wonder about this myself. I do like a 4-3-3 but only when it's played in the way Liverpool do.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder 

Here are Mowbrays west Brom signings 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-albion-tony-mowbray-12793111.amp

Only two defenders by my count. I only just scanned the names. Hoefkens and Ollsson. Two decent centre halves in fairness, but the vast majority of his signings were midfielders... 

God I would just love to see us splash some cash on a defender or goalkeeper. Even psychologically it would give the team a boost. 

If we don't strengthen and we continue conceding goals like last season, I'd say the players will even be pissed with the situation. 

He doesnt do defence does he? His regret from his time at Coventry was that he didnt buy a CB too. Odd considering it was his position as a player.

More odd is that we hardly set up to attack in order to score more than the oppo - we set up to defend.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Very short sighted in today's market though; you only have to look at the profit the Bees have made on Konsa in one season. Full back prices are also astronomical these days too. It's like the V's are still stuck in the 90s.

The "v"s aren't buying the players Mowbray is apparently

Just now, Miller11 said:

Never mind the fees we payed for Armstrong, Brereton and probably now Gallagher too... Dominic Samuel cost more than our entire defence.

Denying there is something beyond Mowbray’s control going on is burying your head in the sand.

Venkys won’t spend on defenders.

Says you - you can't state something as fact when it's actually just an opinion. Opinions are indeed like arseholes...

• Like 1

GK 

RyNy   Lenihan   CH     Bell

Travis   Dack   Johnson

Gally       DG      Rothwell

Would like that

433 is just 4231 in all but name really

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

GK 

Travis   Dack   Johnson

Would like that

Full backs not good enough defensively.  Would mean Lenihan and CH being pulled out of position to cover.

would be great going forward though.

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

GK 

Travis   Dack   Johnson

Would like that

433 is just 4231 in all but name really

Yup, Travis and Johnson would sit, Dack would assume his usual position and Gally and Rothwell are the wide forwards that we already use anyway.

Same thing as what we';re doing anyway tbh.

Just now, yeti-dog said:

Says you - you can't state something as fact when it's actually just an opinion. Opinions are indeed like arseholes...

You can draw conclusions when presented with evidence though.

And there’s plenty of evidence to suggest my theory holds water.

No, I think if it's proper 4-3-3 then you have to have three genuine midfielders in there. For instance, Liverpool might have Keita, Fabinho and Henderson. All mobile, get up and down the pitch to support  both the attack and the defence - they aren't just there to be defensive mids.

I'd be okay with that as it rules out  Evans and Smallwood and prefers the Travis type of midfielder. 

• Like 1