BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, 4000Holes said:

Full backs not good enough defensively.  Would mean Lenihan and CH being pulled out of position to cover.

would be great going forward though.

I think GK and CH will make a huge difference ?

• Like 1

Just now, ruggles1995 said:

heres a shout, what about Peter Crouch on a Free ? I think he would be a alright squad player. Forget Age, experience, and squad role I think he would do a job

Tall enough to play CB at least. Seriously, you think we need another striker when we're just about to buy our sixth for that position already and only have one spot in the team?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Where did I say that I think it would be acceptable? I just said what I think will happen 

By open ended I mean, if Gallagher signs a 4 year deal, will his future wages mean we have less to spend this summer or will it come out of future budgets. Obviously coming out of future budgets would be better. 

Sorry, I hadn't read your subsequent posts at that point, which don't appear to support the notion at all. I was just going off the fact you appear generally happy with how things are going and will go, and have staunchly defended our transfer approach pretty much all summer.

Just now, yeti-dog said:

No, I think if it's proper 4-3-3 then you have to have three genuine midfielders in there. For instance, Liverpool might have Keita, Fabinho and Henderson. All mobile, get up and down the pitch to support  both the attack and the defence - they aren't just there to be defensive mids.

I'd be okay with that as it rules out  Evans and Smallwood and prefers the Travis type of midfielder. 

Yeah but it would be a good plan B if DG is tiring -

Trav, Johnson, Downing as Milner, Dack as Salah, Rothwell as Mane and Gally as Firmino, 

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Trav, Johnson, Downing as Milner, Dack as Salah, Rothwell as Mane and Gally as Firmino, 

We just need a VVD now and we are set

• Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

If Gally is Firminho, we really have had Southampton's pants down. 

• Like 4

I think Gallagher would be a great signing for us. For whatever reason it didn't work out for him at Birmingham.

What if dack gets sold come deadline day and Graham gets an injury? Entirely possible then who would lead the line? Not Armstrong as he is more effective out wide and we dont have any wide players with pace bar Chapman.

If dack does end up moving on Graham and Gallagher would be an ideal partnership.

2 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

I think it was a joke from the England film cant remember the title, but a funny film all the same. someone will enlighten us.

Mike Bassett England Manager

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Gallagher is not a bad signing, but we would really need to look at moving out Samuel and Nuttall (even on loan), as I can't see them getting anywhere near the team.

Graham, Gallagher, Brereton and Armstrong should be enough options in the 18 and with the other two out on loan with a January recall in case we have injuries.

Rothwell, Chapman, Armstrong, Bennett, Dack, Butterworth and Gallagher as wide /CAM options is plenty too.

Likewise Travis, Johnson, Davenport, Downing, Evans, Buckley (Adam, Butterfield), Smallwood and Bennett are crazy numbers for CM. 

That's 20 players, TWENTY, for 6 positions. Yet we have 1 (poor) GK and 5 (actual) defenders. Insanity.

Yeah, the squad balance right now is way off. You can definitely sense that players are outgoing, hopefully one of either Evans or Smallwood in the middle, if not both. God forbid it's Travis.

I don't understand the issue with signing defenders. Surely Mowbray realises it, he has spoke about defenders coming, is it a case of us losing our targets or is there no longer a genuine appetite amongst the club staff for new players in that area? Do they see Wharton/Magloire stepping up?

We can't judge until the end of the window, but as it currently stands our squad is top heavy. 

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

Sorry, I hadn't read your subsequent posts at that point, which don't appear to support the notion at all. I was just going off the fact you appear generally happy with how things are going and will go, and have staunchly defended our transfer approach pretty much all summer.

No I haven't. I just haven't posted hourly updates on how worked up I am, unlike some. I try to discuss things from the point oint of where we are. 

We have to sign a keeper. It's implausible that we won't. The CB position worries me and I have expressed that on numerous occasions. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

36 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Yes pal, and you’re conveniently side stepping the very obvious change in tactics and playing style that the manager (and players) have been talking about for weeks.

No pal, it's very convenient to say that but there is nothing obvious about it until they start doing it talk is just that, talk. 

Let's see them use it as their core style before we judge there's a difference between that and changing about in games or week to week to suit the opposition, let's have OUR style and impose it on them for a change.

By the way ever heard the phrase 'revert to type' ?   let's see how long..........

6 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

heres a shout, what about Peter Crouch on a Free ? I think he would be a alright squad player. Forget Age, experience, and squad role I think he would do a job

No just no, totally spent force and an expensive one.

Edit :  retirement confirms this.

10 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

GK 

RyNy   Lenihan   CH     Bell

Travis   Dack   Johnson

Gally       DG      Rothwell

Would like that

433 is just 4231 in all but name really

No no no no no no. We aren’t paying 5 million for him too play on the f**king wing mate. He’s got too take Graham’s place in the side, if he comes in and hits the ground running then that will happen but I’m not having him shoe horned in on the wing when he’s a striker. 

OK let's just say we do sign a keeper and CB, we won't be in a bad spot then really. We have serious firepower. Defenders wil not relish coming up against Graham, Dack, Rothwell, Chapman, Downing and Armstrong. A lot of stuff for defenders to worry about there. Then if Brereton and Gallagher start chipping in as well. 

Have ye watched the behind the scenes training videos on YouTube? Brereton banging them in. Maybe it's propoganda ? but there are a good few clips of him scoring. 

• Backroom

Not to be disrespectful to Wharton or Magloire but if we're seriously expecting either or both of them to step up in place of buying defenders then we are in big trouble. Wharton was playing for Lincoln and Bury last season whilst Magloire doesn't even appear to have been out on loan anywhere despite being 20, which seems weird to me as he's never been near the first team squad until recently? 

We're falling into the same trap we've seen multiple times over the years under Venky's. Rush kids into the first team without adequate preparation, let the fans witness them making all the mistakes they should have made out on loan elsewhere, leading to an erosion of confidence and the player never fulfilling their potential. At 20 and 21 Magloire and Wharton aren't exactly kids anymore, but one has been playing at League 2 level and the other at u23 level with, as far as I can see, no real experience of proper first team football save for a couple of cameos last season for us. Extremely risky to expect either player to be a significant part of our defence next season imo.  

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Gallagher is not a bad signing, but we would really need to look at moving out Samuel and Nuttall (even on loan), as I can't see them getting anywhere near the team.

Graham, Gallagher, Brereton and Armstrong should be enough options in the 18 and with the other two out on loan with a January recall in case we have injuries.

Rothwell, Chapman, Armstrong, Bennett, Dack, Butterworth and Gallagher as wide /CAM options is plenty too.

Likewise Travis, Johnson, Davenport, Downing, Evans, Buckley (Adam, Butterfield), Smallwood and Bennett are crazy numbers for CM. 

That's 20 players, TWENTY, for 6 positions. Yet we have 1 (poor) GK and 5 (actual) defenders. Insanity.

You make a valid point.  Some aspects I'd like to add:

• Adam and Butterfield not likely to be signed up, at least not both.
  • Bennett likely to play right back / winger (probably not CM)
  • Several players can fill different positions, but not at the same time.
  • It's a squad game, so you need at least double options on each position for injuries/suspensions/fatigue. That means we should have a squad of 22 + youngsters when needed.
  • Absolutely right that we should now have plenty of options midfield/foward and some likely to leave perm or loan: Nuttall (loan), Smallwood (perm), Evans(?), Butterworth (loan)
  • GK / Defences low on numbers. You might count Wharton and Magloire but that's a stretch. If Williams is now a centre back, that means we lack a left back cover as well. Leutwiler not rated so might bring in two keepers, unless Fischer is seen as a number 2. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

OK let's just say we do sign a keeper and CB, we won't be in a bad spot then really. We have serious firepower. Defenders wil not relish coming up against Graham, Dack, Rothwell, Chapman, Downing and Armstrong. A lot of stuff for defenders to worry about there. Then if Brereton and Gallagher start chipping in as well. 

Have ye watched the behind the scenes training videos on YouTube? Brereton banging them in. Maybe it's propoganda ? but there are a good few clips of him scoring. 

Yeap. Saw a good clip of him skip past 2-3 players. Looked sharp - The kids a baby, there's potential there IMO.

• Like 2

Just now, Butty said:

No no no no no no. We aren’t paying 5 million for him too play on the f**king wing mate. He’s got too take Graham’s place in the side, if he comes in and hits the ground running then that will happen but I’m not having him shoe horned in on the wing when he’s a striker. 

In 4-3-3 I would expect the front 3 to be closer to goal and narrower than the inside forwards would be in 4-2-3-1. 

I just wonder if we didn't sign Brereton last summer, wlhow would he have done for Forest? Probably wouldn't have played much. Clearly not a karanka player and even less so of an O'Neill one. 

At least he had the year under his belt here. Huge season coming up for the lad. 

Magloire impressed vs Wigan then was bullied at Hillsborough, Scott Wharton has never impressed me in the multiple occasions he’s played, nor did he impress at Lincoln or Bury. Time to move him on.

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Yeap. Saw a good clip of him skip past 2-3 players. Looked sharp - The kids a baby, there's potential there IMO.

Ya, one he got through, I think from a Dack pass and he slotted it really nicely to the bottom right. The keeper was right on him and he didn't have much time. It looked a good finish. 

2 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I'm sure both Mowbray and Waggottt stated, after the India trip, that the budget was similar to last year. 

To slightly mis-quote the late Mandy Rice Davis, "Well, they would say that, wouldn't they?"

• Like 2

Just now, m1st said:

To slightly mis-quote the late Mandy Rice Davis, "Well, they would say that, wouldn't they?"

Why would they say it if it wasn't true? Mowbray is at times too honest, and Waggott has several times stressed the need to comply with FFP.  If they were supposed to be tactical it would have been wiser to say we have small budget to have a stronger hand in negotations.