BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Greatly underwhelmed by the (now very likely) prospect of Gallagher joining, and wonder how we will accommodate him along with Graham and Dack, and to blood Brereton in his correct position. Nuttall is certainly going to have to leave.

I just hope we announce a credible goalkeeper at the same time but the idea of Gallagher, Adam and Hart does nothing for me and is not going to generate much in the way of extra season ticket sales.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike E said:

I thought jokes were funny?

Personally think it's a good signing.

I’d rather we put £5m towards and keeper and defender and make do with our existing strikers.

Our glaring problem is conceding goals not scoring them.

• Like 3

So, it looks as though Gallagher is nearly over the line. I will be pleased with that signing as I think he's in a very similar mould to Graham and is his natural successor. He's not someone who has the wow factor, but nonetheless a pretty good signing for 5m in today's market and he knows the club and the players fairly well so he can hopefully hit the ground running. I would say our forward thinking players have the potential to get us in and around the top 6.

The midfield looks decent with Bradley Johnson, Travis, and Davenport (and Buckley looks good too). Think we could do with one more in there and then ship out both Evans and Smallwood.

The defence requires major surgery still, no question about that. Our defensive line up is probably bottom 6, so we need 3 or 4 new faces back there (GK, LB, two CHs). I'm not panicking yet as there is still plenty of time to reinforce our defence (and I think we will), but I will be concerned if no major additions are made to the backline by the time the widow closes.

• Like 4

• Backroom

I'm fine with Gallagher if the reported £5m in fee is inclusive of add-ons (don't think we should be paying any more than £3m base) and it has no impact on signing goalkeeping and defensive reinforcements. Although granted the second part may be true simply because Venky's aren't willing to put any significant money into those positions anyway.

One has to assume Gallagher will come in as one of our higher earners. One has to assume he'll be a starter but at the same time you also have to assume Graham will be first choice unless injured or rested, which probably makes Gallagher's position right wing. 

Gallagher - Dack - Rothwell across the middle potentially? Although with that said I'd be surprised if Downing came here to be a bench player, and you've also got Armstrong who Mowbray seems to like a lot. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I'm fine with Gallagher if the reported £5m in fee is inclusive of add-ons (don't think we should be paying any more than £3m base) and it has no impact on signing goalkeeping and defensive reinforcements. Although granted the second part may be true simply because Venky's aren't willing to put any significant money into those positions anyway.

One has to assume Gallagher will come in as one of our higher earners. One has to assume he'll be a starter but at the same time you also have to assume Graham will be first choice unless injured or rested, which probably makes Gallagher's position right wing. 

Gallagher - Dack - Rothwell across the middle potentially? Although with that said I'd be surprised if Downing came here to be a bench player, and you've also got Armstrong who Mowbray seems to like a lot. 

Going to be some competition for those places 

I personally get a bit fed up folk saying "he's not like Danny Graham", Danny Graham wasn't like the Danny Graham of today until he hit his thirties!

The long term goal to me looks like a Gallagher/Brereton partnership to be firmly in  place for the start of the 20/21 season as neither Graham or Dack will be here then I presume. With Armstrong/Rothwell/Chapman and hopefully by then Butterworth either side of them it's good long term planning in the forward areas.

Just a shame the defence doesn't get the same attention.

• Like 4

• Backroom

I'd like to see someone like Dan Schwaab come in at centre back.

30/31, 6ft1, free agent, relatively regular player for Freiburg, Leverkusen, Stuttgart, and PSV through his career.

Not stellar, but strikes me as a Craig Short type of steady, strong, unspectacular defender.

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

You have to wonder if after parting ways with their like-a-family-member that Venkys turned to Kevin Keegan for advice and settled on a ‘try to win 4-3’ model.

Just now, Mike E said:

I'd like to see someone like Dan Schwaab come in at centre back.

30/31, 6ft1, free agent, relatively regular player for Freiburg, Leverkusen, Stuttgart, and PSV through his career.

Not stellar, but strikes me as a Craig Short type of steady, strong, unspectacular defender.

Good shout but probably unrealistic.

I thought Micheal Morrison from Birmingham might fit the bill here.

Edited by MarkBRFC

28 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Ridiculous. What is all this stuff about? “I bet we get someone on loan!!” So what? Villa got Mings and Tuanzebe on loan last season!? 

We need defender who are better than what we’ve got and an experienced keeper who is better than Raya right now. None of these should price too difficult to achieve before the window shuts. I don’t care whether we spend £10m, loan them or get them on a free. The spend is largely irrelevant because none of us foot the bill. The only thing that matters is we get the players above.

Ive given up arguing with people on here. I cannot relate at all with those who talk about relegation etc. The same people banging on about Brentford who are basically whoring out every single asset they have and with supposedly the perfect business model bought David Raya - a keeper who we’ve all watched for two seasons and know unequivocally isn’t great. 

Bad day at the office chief ?

Relax crack open a fizzy brew then chill and comeback to hail the signing of the new Shearer -right wing version - and all will be well.

Shouldn't you be the one urging calm ?

• Like 3

Just now, Ossydave said:

Barca landing Griezmann has probably forced us to call Gally in for a medical as Atletico would have been sniffing round him as a replacement 

We also missed out on David Nugent, going back too Preston. 34 years old and is a good pal of Stewart Downing, Mogga is gutted he couldn’t bring another ex Boro boy back. Gallagher will have too do ;) 

• Backroom
Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Good shout but probably unrealistic.

I thought Micheal Morrison from Birmingham might fit the bill here.

Another fair shout. Haven't they just released Harlee Dean? He might be fairly good, I recall he was solid for Brentford, and don't think he's 30 yet.

I just hope the reason we haven't got defenders in yet is because we are haggling wages on quality ones, and good at keeping them under wraps.

Hope being the key word ofc.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Butty said:

We also missed out on David Nugent, going back too Preston. 34 years old and is a good pal of Stewart Downing, Mogga is gutted he couldn’t bring another ex Boro boy back. Gallagher will have too do ;) 

Ayala out of contract next season. Boro...

Edited by Mike E

35 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Looking through, you could argue that only the following clubs have properly strengthened so far. 3 weeks to go. Still plenty of time. 

Bristol City, Brentford, Forest, Stoke & Millwall.

But how many of those other clubs have released their back up CBs, signed no defenders and ended up in February with no fit CBs at the club?

• Like 1