BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Teams don’t really recruit based on a managers contacts now. Especially abroad..it’s based on fully integrated scouting systems like Brentford’s. I don’t think Mowbray has an aversion to signing foreign players, if you look at his time at WBA. He’s being pragmatic and sticking with what he knows until the scouting network is fully reinstated.

Broadly speaking you are correct and lots of clubs now use one or some of the many sotware programmes available. Accrington use a system for scouting future opponents and have pretty much dispensed with their smallish network of scouts.

I'd be disappointed if Rovers weren't buying into technology like this. Of course there is nothing like watching players live but just to get a handle on strengths and weaknesses these systems are informative.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Saw this from the Mirror. Linked with half the league. An untestes novice isnt what we need.

Screenshot_20190714-010400_Chrome.jpg

He was part of the Liverpool side our Under 23’s beat this season. Sick of being linked with an kind of Premier League loan when we have our own brilliant academy. 

• Backroom
Just now, JoeHarvey said:

He was part of the Liverpool side our Under 23’s beat this season. Sick of being linked with an kind of Premier League loan when we have our own brilliant academy. 

How can our own academy defenders not be good enough,  yet players we beat are ready?

• Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Bloody hell wish I hadn’t posted it. 

I don’t see anybody beating Mowbray with any stick on this issue.

Dack and Rothwell two excellent bargain English signings. 

Just an observation that we must have the most British/Irish squad by some way in the top two divisions. I thought it was merely an interesting aside, not something to ignite a Twitter style culture war.

Your point was pertinent but you too have become a target for the neuralized fans who get their memory wiped after each window.

The only “stick” to beat him with is that he keeps going back on his own words. He says something in the press that gets universal praise from fans and then does the exact opposite. Then folk wonder why there is a reaction. 

Example from 1st Feb 2019 - is he just saying what the fans want to hear after an awful January window...?

Says:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/february/mowbray-to-target-the-foreign-market/

"I feel as though we know just about everything about all the players in our leagues and I feel like we're ready to move on to the next level of recruitment and instead of fishing in a small pond, we need to start fishing in a bigger lake.

"So it's been a bit of a frustrating window, but I'm not annoyed because I like this team. And yet my job is to try and improve this team every window. So we need to start fishing in a European market."

Does:

Downing

Johnson

Gallagher

Butterfield

White

Adam

9B91DA29-41BD-4B34-A5DA-E61B89064E62.gif.ade0fc9877dfca007f062f004cf8c806.gif

• Like 5

• Backroom

Good to see everyone getting along as usual. 

Our UKIP/Brexit Party transfer strategy doesn't necessarily bother me in that we still have a fair few decent players coming through, but I'd be surprised if the auditors made the suggestion to buy British. You may sell Brits for a premium but you also buy them for a premium so it essentially evens itself out. There's enough evidence to suggest you can get similar quality abroad for significantly cheaper, so I'd imagine we'd have put a lot more effort into foreign signings if the auditors had anything to say about it. Venky's are too clueless to understand anything, so my guess is that it is just Mowbray and his team's preference. Not convinced the fabled European scouting network will ever amount to much. 

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Broadly speaking you are correct and lots of clubs now use one or some of the many sotware programmes available. Accrington use a system for scouting future opponents and have pretty much dispensed with their smallish network of scouts.

I'd be disappointed if Rovers weren't buying into technology like this. Of course there is nothing like watching players live but just to get a handle on strengths and weaknesses these systems are informative.

Sounds like Billy Beane / Moneyball territory. Didn’t a club try this and it didn’t work?

Bit of a tangent from your point but an interesting read... https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/moneyball-soccer-liverpool-premier-league-billy-beane/

11 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Mild was 35p a pint first time I went into a pub.

What a really good way to make a simple point; love it!

Mind you; if I remember rightly, my first pint of Mild only cost me 1/10d!

Just now, alexanders said:

Take into consideration that British players prices are very inflated. Buying cheap and mounding one might make serious profit! 

So why are we paying £12m for two? That’s a couple of serious fees when we come to sell. ?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mike E said:

How can our own academy defenders not be good enough,  yet players we beat are ready?

Exactly! Makes me furious.

39 minutes ago, Pedro said:

So, just to clarify, because we signed Gallagher and he didn't go to Brentford who have this stupendously brilliant recruitment policy and are sure-fire promotion favourites now they've got Raya, is the new stick to beat Mowbray with the amount of cut-price and absolutely talentless British players like Dack, Rothwell, Armstrong and Chapman he has darkened our door with?

I ran out of breath with that message so ,sorry, missed the end!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Your point was pertinent but you too have become a target for the neuralized fans who get their memory wiped after each window.

The only “stick” to beat him with is that he keeps going back on his own words. He says something in the press that gets universal praise from fans and then does the exact opposite. Then folk wonder why there is a reaction. 

Example from 1st Feb 2019 - is he just saying what the fans want to hear after an awful January window...?

Says:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/february/mowbray-to-target-the-foreign-market/

"I feel as though we know just about everything about all the players in our leagues and I feel like we're ready to move on to the next level of recruitment and instead of fishing in a small pond, we need to start fishing in a bigger lake.

"So it's been a bit of a frustrating window, but I'm not annoyed because I like this team. And yet my job is to try and improve this team every window. So we need to start fishing in a European market."

Does:

Downing

Johnson

Gallagher

Butterfield

White

Adam

9B91DA29-41BD-4B34-A5DA-E61B89064E62.gif.ade0fc9877dfca007f062f004cf8c806.gif

Literally spot on! 

• Like 1

Just remember what Mowbray said re the European scouting network...

He had to catch a plane to Zurich and stay in a hotel to ask Balaji if he was allowed to catch a plane and stop in a hotel in order to scout a player in Europe.

Another fine example of a normally functioning football club.

I worry that our signings thus far may mean a possible exit for Dack. Didn’t Mowbray talk about trying a system without Dack near the end of last season? We’ve just signed another tall forward, another central midfielder and linked with more central midfielders than anything else. I’d hate to see him go but maybe it’s on the cards. Would people here accept that if it meant more funds to restructure defence?

Personally I don’t think we can replace Dack and we’d probably struggle without him as the vast majority of our goals involved him in one way or another. On the other hand I might begrudgingly accept him leaving as I’m sure he’d like to test himself in the premier league and the money (say about £15m) could really help buy top quality at GK, FB and CB.

Of course it’d be a disaster if either we sold him to a division rival or the Venkys took the cash and didn’t reinvest  

He'll go at some point I'm sure. But I get the impression Dacky quite likes it here. I can't see him kicking up a mega fuss. He gets criticized, by myself included about his celeb lifestyle and his mrs. But shes moved up here with him. Unlike someone like Harrison Reed who always had the pressure on him to get back south. I think he's pretty settled.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Bloody hell wish I hadn’t posted it. 

I don’t see anybody beating Mowbray with any stick on this issue.

Dack and Rothwell two excellent bargain English signings. 

Just an observation that we must have the most British/Irish squad by some way in the top two divisions. I thought it was merely an interesting aside, not something to ignite a Twitter style culture war.

It was meant to be very tongue in cheek Matty.  

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

So why are we paying £12m for two? That’s a couple of serious fees when we come to sell. ?

£12m?? That’s not a lot of money. One good season and you can sell a player for £15+.

You buy AND sell young British players at a premium. ??‍♂️

2 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

To be fair, hes been linked with practically half of the league, so presumably theres nothing in it, and the universal response has been a demand for someone with much more know how in there.

One thing I am sure of is that the answer to our defensive woes is certainly not already at the club. Its not fixable by a keeper or a new defensive midfielder protecting the defence, its not fixable by moving someones position, Williams/Nyambe re-born as a central defefender to solve our woes, and in this case it also isnt fixable by promoting youth players. Magloire may well be a good player for us in the future but he showed v Sheffield Wednesday that hes nowhere near ready, needs a spell in the lower leagues to learn how to head a ball. Wharton had seemingly underwhelming spells at Bury and Lincoln, Platt coulnt get in Stanleys squad and Grayson isnt ready either. 

The names mentioned, Hanley, Ajayi, Cooper, Dann, they are the sort of centre back we need.

• Like 3

£12m?? That’s not a lot of money. One good season and you can sell a player for £15+.

You buy AND sell young British players at a premium. ??‍♂️

We are a mid table Championship club, £12 Million is a massive amount of money. No other club in the Championship is spending that sort of money unless they have parachute payments or have sold a player or two for big money, neither of which apply to us.

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

We are a mid table Championship club, £12 Million is a massive amount of money. No other club in the Championship is spending that sort of money unless they have parachute payments or have sold a player or two for big money, neither of which apply to us.

It’s not a massive amount of money for a mid table team with aspirations of getting into the top 6. I’d actually add the £3m we spent on AA and make it £15m spend.

Three young, British forwards with potential for £15m total spend is good going. I think the plan is to sell Dack next summer for £15-20m and reset.

I also think the potential values of Rothwell, Travis and Lenihan plus the emergence of Buckley, Magloire, Davenport, Chapman and Butterworth mean we’re in a good position and contrary to the insistent negativity, not whoring out our major assets but building for the future.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 3

It’s not a massive amount of money for a mid table team with aspirations of getting into the top 6. I’d actually add the £3m we spent on AA and make it £15m spend.

Three young, British forwards with potential for £15m total spend is good going. I think the plan is to sell Dack next summer for £15-20m and reset.

I also think the potential values of Rothwell, Travis and Lenihan plus the emergence of Buckley, Magloire, Davenport, Chapman and Butterworth mean we’re in a good position and contrary to the insistent negativity, not whoring out our major assets but building for the future.

We have a very good core of young British players coming through if we can add a keeper and maybe a couple of defenders we will be in a strong position to kick on this season which in turn will boost the values of the players we currently have. 

Also the feeling around the place seems to be positive everywhere barring here sometimes with loan players seemingly wanting to find a way back to the club ( Harry Reed apart but I don't think there's a lot we can do about British geography) 

Plenty of sides have gone from mid table to the top 6 with out spending that sort of money on their entire team let alone just on forwards. It is massive money in this division because the vast majority of sides could not afford to spend that unless they sold a player or two for big money or they had parachute payments.

Also if we do have aspirations for top 6 then it would be more prudent to spend some of that £15 Million on the defence instead of using it on 3 players who are all strikers. Unless the defence is strengthened significantly then we will be no way near the top 6.

Personally I think the Gallagher signing is an acknowledgement that the Brereton signing has not worked, had Brereton scored say 7 or 8 goals last season then I highly doubt that we would have signed Gallagher. The Gallagher signing pushes Brereton even further down the order and leaves us with the problem of what to do with a £7 Million dud. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

We are owned by billionaires.  We see past that due to their wastefulness.  Damn right they should be investing in players, rather than agents and pay offs.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Plenty of sides have gone from mid table to the top 6 with out spending that sort of money on their entire team let alone just on forwards. It is massive money in this division because the vast majority of sides could not afford to spend that unless they sold a player or two for big money or they had parachute payments.

Also if we do have aspirations for top 6 then it would be more prudent to spend some of that £15 Million on the defence instead of using it on 3 players who are all strikers. Unless the defence is strengthened significantly then we will be no way near the top 6.

Personally I think the Gallagher signing is an acknowledgement that the Brereton signing has not worked, had Brereton scored say 7 or 8 goals last season then I highly doubt that we would have signed Gallagher. The Gallagher signing pushes Brereton even further down the order and leaves us with the problem of what to do with a £7 Million dud. 

Maybe try and get the best out of him help the 20 Yr old player mature and make a player out of him. 

• Like 2