BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, bluebruce said:

Insulting the person behind a view doesn't demerit the view or 'win' the discussion. Please be more polite and less condescending to your fellow posters. It will improve the board atmosphere.

?

• Backroom

I think it has to be acknowledged that signing Gallagher will have an impact on Brereton. They play in the same position. It remains to be seen what that impact is, but if it's going to seriously eat into Brereton's game time we'd be better loaning the lad out to play first team football rather than sending him on for 15 minute cameos.

Personally I think we'll still be playing one up front, so even if Gallagher and Brereton were playing in the same team (assuming Graham is injured/rested) one of them will likely be playing out of position. Even if we did play two up front it's possible Armstrong would be ahead of Brereton in the pecking order anyway.

Gallagher's signing raises a lot of questions which will only be answered when the season kicks off. 

• Like 1

Advanced issues found

Just now, bluebruce said:

Insulting the person behind a view doesn't demerit the view or 'win' the discussion. Please be more polite and less condescending to your fellow posters. It will improve the board atmosphere while the Mods with good sense are watching the Cricket

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Judging by nickos 350 k and 15 percent to Plymouth I make by my maths it’s 2.25 million upfront. Rest over his length of contract adding to 5 million to male amortisation better. Meaning those pilgrims thinking 750k on 5 million are right but as with transfer fees the sell ons. Between clubs are also staggered on payment structure 

I take your point but you lost me at judging. ;)

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Insulting the person behind a view doesn't demerit the view or 'win' the discussion. Please be more polite and less condescending to your fellow posters. It will improve the board atmosphere.

Thanks for the advice. But I haven’t the time or energy to discuss the differences between players who are so obviously performing different roles in the team. If the guy can’t see it, then we’d better leave it there ??

13 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He played over 15 hours of football for us last season, for me that is plenty enough time to come to conclusions about a player.

Not disputing Brereton been poor since he signed but i think Mowbray has to take a share of the blame for that by giving him most his minutes out of position.

Still believe he will turn out to be a very good player as too many people within the game talk up his ability too much to be a dud.

I read an article a while ago where Mick Rathbone, who has worked witg him at forest and England, said that he believes he has the potential to be a 30 million pound player.

He has also played quite a lot of games at senior level prior to joining us so he must have shown something in his time at forest to suggest he isn't a complete dud

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s not a massive amount of money for a mid table team with aspirations of getting into the top 6. I’d actually add the £3m we spent on AA and make it £15m spend.

Three young, British forwards with potential for £15m total spend is good going. I think the plan is to sell Dack next summer for £15-20m and reset.

I also think the potential values of Rothwell, Travis and Lenihan plus the emergence of Buckley, Magloire, Davenport, Chapman and Butterworth mean we’re in a good position and contrary to the insistent negativity, not whoring out our major assets but building for the future.

Can we please stop with the "insistent negativity" crap, it adds absolutely nothing.

The primary criticism is that weve spent 15m on 3 attackers, something youve claimed is "not a massive amount of money" when the same manager has spent a mere couple of hundred grand TO DATE(not just this window to clarify) on a quite frankly embarrassing defence.

I also may be wrong but I cant think of many young British strikers bought for similar amounts and sold on for a profit. Can you think of any examples? For me, the chance of profiting on English players as a low risk strategy becomes high risk when you are paying so much money in the first place. The premise of signing 3 attackers covered by the future sale of our main asset may be somewhat idealistic in theory, but I dont think its the best way at all of reinvesting future predicted sales money.

Ultimately, I don't think we can justify two such highly priced players who at the moment would have to play in an unfamiliar wide role or be on the bench in our best 11, when our defence is so bad. One sure, two is reckless.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

There will be nowhere to hide when this young man starts to play. Some fans taking absolute liberties in their criticism of a 19/20yr Old.

You have absolutely no justification whatsoever in making such an outlandish statement based on anything we have seen from Ben Brereton so far. 

Also, it implies that any Rovers fan will be anything but benefited by Brereton suddenly scoring and showing something he hasnt thus far. How pleased everyone was when he scored v Bolton showed that contrary to myths being put out, no one wants him to fail.

• Like 1

I think there is an element of planning for the future with Gallagher. There is no way on gods green earth that Graham will be first choice in 20/21. The fella is getting too old for a regular starting place...and that's not being cruel that's a fact. 

As Danny retreats further in to the background, Gallagher and Brereton will creep further forward. I suspect Samuel and Nuttall will vacate and those mentioned along with Armstrong will compete for the place(s) depending on formation

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

We play one upfront. Graham is undoubtedly first choice, I would say it's a fair shout that Gallagher is second choice. So that leaves the likes of Armstrong, Nuttall, Samuel and Brereton fighting to be the third choice striker. Not sure what is embarrassing about that take? Also I am not your 'pal'.

Yes I am. Honestly I think he looks terrible, he's shown me nothing to think he is going to be a first choice striker at this level. He can't head the ball, he doesn't have much pace or any skill to beat a man, he's a poor finisher, he's lazy and he is also very weak although that may change.

Who knows how Rovers will set up this coming season? There is no way we will be 1 up front with so much attacking quality in the team

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Who knows how Rovers will set up this coming season? There is no way we will be 1 up front with so much attacking quality in the team

If only we had the full backs to deliver DG up top with Gally and arma as wider fwds (not wingers) and Dack coming from deep would be decent 

I'd be very surprised if we don't start the season 4-2-3-1. We certainly are not going to be going 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 because playing that system we take Dack (our most effective player) out of his best position. About the only way we could play 2 out and out centre forward's is by playing 3/5 at the back but given that we don't even have two good centre backs there is no way we can line up like that.

Also at the end of the day Mowbray is a cautious manager, it's not in his make up to start with an attacking line up to take the game to the opponents. Mowbray likes to set up to try not to lose rather than set up to win.

The problem is, I bet Tont doesn't even know.

I can see us messing around with the lineup every week until November until we stumble on any sort of consistent side.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Can we please stop with the "insistent negativity" crap, it adds absolutely nothing.

The primary criticism is that weve spent 15m on 3 attackers, something youve claimed is "not a massive amount of money" when the same manager has spent a mere couple of hundred grand TO DATE(not just this window to clarify) on a quite frankly embarrassing defence.

I also may be wrong but I cant think of many young British strikers bought for similar amounts and sold on for a profit. Can you think of any examples? For me, the chance of profiting on English players as a low risk strategy becomes high risk when you are paying so much money in the first place. The premise of signing 3 attackers covered by the future sale of our main asset may be somewhat idealistic in theory, but I dont think its the best way at all of reinvesting future predicted sales money.

Ultimately, I don't think we can justify two such highly priced players who at the moment would have to play in an unfamiliar wide role or be on the bench in our best 11, when our defence is so bad. One sure, two is reckless.

White flag. I give up. I’m retiring to my sun bed and the cricket ??

This squad is versatile with the additional players.

4-4-2 is an option

3-5-2 is an option

4-4-1-1 is an option

4-5-1 is an option

3-4-3 is an option

4-3-3 is an option

With the players at his disposal there are different scenarios available- some players are going to have to adapt their positional strengths to fit in but for me, there is a whole host of options we have really had at the club for a while.

Now Rovers need to get rid of a few, Smallwood, Gladwin, Samuel, Nuttall and Evans to name but a few.

I am prepared to wait and se how we set up v Mansfield and Rangers this week 

• Like 2

Even if we only play 1 up top - simply adding Gallagher means we’ve a better chance of replacing Graham permanently long term, since we’ve 3 strikers in Ben, Arma and Sam who have a the potential to step up.

Ofcourse we all want you the replacement keeper and CB but it’s daft to ignore the benefit of having so much potential up top, purely because we’re yet to add to other positions.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, roverandout said:

The Gallagher signing wouldn't bother me so much if it had been 1.5 to 2 million. It's the fact he's spunked 5 million on a player who has shown nothing to suggest he's ever going to be any more than a journeyman lower league player. Mowbary irks me because he has no imagination regarding transfers, he just goes for the safe option every time. Brentford a big example picking up players and turning them into stars. Dack was a fluke in my opinion but other than him he lacks any knowledge in the transfer market

Funny how they wanted Gallagher...

• Like 7

Just now, Biz said:

Even if we only play 1 up top - simply adding Gallagher means we’ve a better chance of replacing Graham permanently long term, since we’ve 3 strikers in Ben, Arma and Sam who have a the potential to step up.

Ofcourse we all want you the replacement keeper and CB but it’s daft to ignore the benefit of having so much potential up top, purely because we’re yet to add to other positions.

But it is all related. If we also considerably strengthen the defence then of course it is a positive. And of course the window is still open to do so. But its a massive concern that we have spent such a large proportion of our transfer budgets during Mowbrays tenure (and before to be honest) on forwards and such a minimal amount on our defence, which is quite frankly not fit for purpose.

I am happy to put the Armstrong purchase to one side, it was much cheaper than the other 2 and he IMO is best suited out wide right, therefore I can understand his signing in addition to another striker. But we blew 7m on Brereton, and from Mowbrays interviews he is on track and surely the focus should be on giving him more game time central this season. You could say its good that almost we have 2 potential replacements when Graham goes, my 2 counter arguments would be that essentially they have to job share and as a result their game time is limited further (neither can play wide effecticely) and also whether we can afford the luxury of 2 potential heirs to Grahams throne when our defence is horrendous.

I also am not convinced by the individuals. I know your opinion on Brereton is essentially that you are refusing to judge based on limited starts. Thats fair enough, of course that raises further questions as to whether we can afford to spend 7m on a player so far away from the first team, whether hes been used right, why hes so far away when he started so many games for Forest, all the usual questions. From what we have seen, im very underwhelmed to say the least. Gallagher again I didnt particularly rate in his first spell, and hes done nothing since to build on that. Can I see any realistic scope for profit on either player, considering how big the cost was? Not sure I can. Can I on Dack, Rothwell and even Armstrong who all were signed for much cheaper? Absolutely.

• Like 3

Funnily I think the signing of Gallagher will help Brerton , although he was signed for less I think there will be more pressure on Gally to deliver and less will be expected from BB

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Biz said:

Plus I’m sure they’ve plenty of fans on Brentford FCS.com moaning about selling their best players!

Actually their fans have really bought into their model. They're convinced they will find further gems.

• Like 2

Just now, JacknOry said:

Actually their fans have really bought into their model. They're convinced they will find further gems.

Overall yes - I’d say most Rovers fans have bought into TM’s ways, however you can guarantee there will be plenty convinced that selling their best players isn’t conducive to moving forward!  

Just now, Biz said:

Overall yes - I’d say most Rovers fans have bought into TM’s ways, however you can guarantee there will be plenty convinced that selling their best players isn’t conducive to moving forward!  

I dont know, you can hardly stop a player from wanting to move on when PL league clubs start calling and with their scouting/recruitment success, you wouldnt bet against them finding the next Maupay.

Same reason we wouldnt be able to stop Dack or any of our players going should the PL show interest. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1