BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not really.  TM said we would be signing players from Europe this summer at his 'evening with' also explained that they had made several European trips.  So to expect at least one shouldn't be unrealistic.

Mowbray has always unequivocally said that it will take time to get the European scouting working properly. 

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not really.  TM said we would be signing players from Europe this summer at his 'evening with' also explained that they had made several European trips.  So to expect at least one shouldn't be unrealistic.

You'll have an advantage on me if you were at said evening but he's quoted as "hoping" in the Telegraph. Semantics I know but given the scouting network has had to undergo a complete overhaul from a smouldering wreckage it may suggest that even 'hope' for quick results was possibly unrealsistic.

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Think that Maher bloke was about all our European scouting managed to dredge up so far and he opted for less wages and to stay in Holland.

Would have been a cracking signing. I think he said European football was the reason he joined Utrecht. Pity 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would have been a cracking signing. I think he said European football was the reason he joined Utrecht. Pity 

Yup, have to respect his decision. Said he could have got 10x more money from his other offers but wanted to go somewhere he could compete for trophies. Just our luck that we go for one of the only footballers on the planet that are not driven by money. 

• Like 1

Just now, deryck guyler's spoon said:

Testimony to a new system in early development stage?

Wouldn't say its 'that' early to be fair, we have been hearing about it for a couple of years now. 

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray has always unequivocally said that it will take time to get the European scouting working properly. 

Quite a strange thing for a manager to be in charge of though, don't you think? I mean, if it was coming from the top of the club then OK, great, but this seems to be entirely pushed by TM... an employee whose job is by nature relatively short-term. He may legitimately have left the club before the European Scouting Global Network Initiative gets off the ground - then what? New manager comes in to take advantage, or just dismantles the whole thing and goes in a different direction? :unsure: 

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Wouldn't say its 'that' early to be fair, we have been hearing about it for a couple of years now. 

The first I heard of it was towards the end of last season but, of course, I stand to be corrected. Mowbray has only been in the job for two and a half years as well.

Just now, DE. said:

Quite a strange thing for a manager to be in charge of though, don't you think? I mean, if it was coming from the top of the club then OK, great, but this seems to be entirely pushed by TM... an employee whose job is by nature relatively short-term. He may legitimately have left the club before the European Scouting Global Network Initiative gets off the ground - then what? New manager comes in to take advantage, or just dismantles the whole thing and goes in a different direction? :unsure: 

Almost as if the club is lacking any real organisational effort from the top.  Hmmmm what could be the reason for that? cluck cluck ..... 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

There's a saying that goes something like "good men plant trees that they will never sit under"...………...or summat like that ?

• Like 3

There's a saying that goes something like "good men plant trees that they will never sit under"...………...or summat like that ?

Quite an apt saying in this instance. Shows what a good egg TM is that he is laying plans for the long term benefit of this club

• Like 2

• Backroom

Yes, except the ground he's planting these seeds on is owned by a group of idiots who like to come around every so often and nuke it into oblivion. 

• Like 2

Going into this window we needed reinforcements in defence and in particular a new starting centre half.

This in my head was the only metric by which Mowbray would be judged. It appears that he thinks just one centre half is enough, thats a big call after last season but he wants to spend his money elsewhere so fair enough thats his call.

If he doesn't deliver a centre back then no matter what other business we do then this window will be considered a failure (I quite like the players we;ve brought in thus far)

Having sold Raya, if he goes into the first game of the season having not replaced him then he should be sacked as he can't be trusted with another transfer window. If the replacement isn't better than Raya then questions again need to be asked.

We've got about three weeks left to get in another keeper and a centre half, the quality of which will define our season. Fingers crossed we get this right.

• Like 2

Just now, JacknOry said:

Yup, have to respect his decision. Said he could have got 10x more money from his other offers but wanted to go somewhere he could compete for trophies. Just our luck that we go for one of the only footballers on the planet that are not driven by money. 

He really thinks Utrecht are going to compete for the Europa League? Hah, good luck to him on that. Think he's gonna wind up wishing he took the money and moved to a higher profile league if that was his main motivation.

2 hours ago, TBTF said:

I said a few weeks ago on here that the only time we can really judge is once the window actually closes and we know what we've got. And that still should be the case . The problem is that TM was the one talking about not conceding 68 goals so defenders are coming , we want to get our business done early and get the new ones integrated early, we might still spend as much in this window as we spent on Brereton etc etc.   Its those kind of comments which fuel the expectation on here . The reality is we have been safe in the Championship for many many weeks and yet less than 2 weeks before the season starts we have no GK and alarming gaps in the area of most need even by TM's own admission. There has been a lot of back tracking whether that's based on budget not being what he thought we will probably never know but if budget is constrained then god alone knows why we are acquiring midfielders left right and centre.

Its all massively confusing and inconsistent and the much vaunted Euro Scouting network doesn't appear to have got further than the midlands and north east . Our transfer strategy is based on who used to play for TM or who had one good game against us. There appears no plan and there seldom has been at any point in Venkys tenure.

I am starting to think that TM , nice guy that he might be , is actually as thick as 2 short planks. He forgets what he has said or meanders around his past statements  which kind of insults the intelligence of a lot of people on here who do tend to hold on to what he says ...as you would do. Personally I think he's a half decent man but is a total dullard lacking intelligence and nous & this reflects in his tactics and team selection for me .

To be less than 2 weeks away from the season with no keeper or defenders in sight is beyond the point of half empty , its downright worrying and less than 3 weeks from being completely negligent if the window closes without . Even if we do conjure something at this late stage there is minimal chance to integrate the players into a plan. Considering how long we have had to sort this out its little wonder people have gone past 'Trust in Tony''. Being blunt, Wharton, Grayson or Magloire  at CB level either aren't good enough or not ready so trotting that line out simply wont wash.

I don't think people are worried necessarily about the players we have signed per se, its the ones we haven't yet got and which were the priorities as far back as January which is causing the real concern.

Well said that man/woman.

the budget doesn’t stretch won’t wash either after spending around 5 million on Gallagher. If you have no hot water you don’t buy new jeans. 

I’m delighted gally is back but if it was at the expensive of defenders that was a very naive purchase. 

I don’t have much faith that tony knows what he’s doing but even I don’t think he’s stupid enough to not sign a keeper

Just now, DE. said:

Good point. A proper club would've had s European scouting in place for the manager to use. It should be part of the club strategy and survive changing managers. Also proves the major task Mowbray have in rebuilding this club. At least we're not buying players by asking Facebook for help anymore. You just hope that the structure that is being put in will live after Mowbray is gone.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Yes, except the ground he's planting these seeds on is owned by a group of idiots who like to come around every so often and nuke it into oblivion. 

They are idiots of course. They have however, funded the Academy so who's to say that they won't offer continuing support to a European network? Particularly if it is potentially profitable?

Just now, DE. said:

Very strange, but that's where the club is at. I would hope that it's a long-term thing one way or another. Can only be a good thing to have more options. 

Just now, bluebruce said:

He really thinks Utrecht are going to compete for the Europa League? Hah, good luck to him on that. Think he's gonna wind up wishing he took the money and moved to a higher profile league if that was his main motivation.

They are in the qualifying rounds though, so it's not that much of  a stretch. Some random clubs qualify for the Europa league, far more obscure than Utrecht! 

Just now, bluebruce said:

Well, having read the article again, he didnt actually say that. Still, he didnt chase the money.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17683551.rovers-target-didnt-move-for-money-as-he-joins-fc-utrecht/

Note: Got to love the quality of proofreading at the LET though:

Adam Maher revealed he did ‘go after the money’ having followed boss John van den Brom to FC Utrecht.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

So another "target" missed. With the clock ticking to the new season, the need for a new goalkeeper and defender (s) is becoming urgent. Mowbray needs to back up his words with action and move quickly if he is to retain any credibility

Just now, jim mk2 said:

So another "target" missed. With the clock ticking to the new season, the need for a new goalkeeper and defender (s) is becoming urgent. Mowbray needs to back up his words with action and move quickly if he is to retain any credibility

Ya, back in early June. Keep up!